Halloween gaming!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

The Butcher

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
It's unlikely that I'll get my shit together in time for a Halloween-themed game, but it's definitely a season that invites thematic gaming sessions, and I'd love to hear what everyone's planning.

I just got my grubby mitts on World War Cthulhu, and hopefully I'll start reading it later today.

Deadlands Reloaded would be another good one, with my trademark grit to dial down the more outré elements. I'd go for some Bone Tomahawk shit.

Or a zombie apocalypse scenario with Call of Cthulhu. Announce a Halloween game, get everyone together, have them roll CoC "investigators" for the modern day... watch as everyone waits for the moody mystery stuff... then suddenly OMFG ZOMBIES!!! Strikes me as a fun bait-and-switch.

We played SLA Industries last year, but it was just normal SLA, we didn't tone down the horror for halloween :smile:

Nothing doing this year, though - the pub has a halloween party on, using the floor we normally occupy. Given it's a spooky themed pub and it's popular with students, they're going to make loads more money that way, so it seems fair enough.

Might be doing a Vampire: The Requiem one-shot with my brother, or alternately a horror-themed D&D game. I've got material planned for both.

No plans. I'm not good at horror GMing. If I were going to do something, it would probably be more campy, like Saturday morning cartoons superheroes fighting Halloween-flavored villains. Beer and pretzels gaming at its finest.

Usually the Halloween one-shot is the highlight of the year, but as I have mid-terms tomorrow, skipping it this year. I shouldnt even be on the forum now...

We canceled this weekend due to illness and on Halloween night I'll be taking kids trick or treating. But we've been doing Curse of Strahd, so there's that. And I DID just upload a Halloween adventure for The Monster Hunters' Club Kickstarter that I'd run on Roll20 if I felt comfortable running for people I don't already know.

Was going to run a good old WoD Vampire The Masqerade scenario, set in contemporary New Orleans during Halloween. My other plan was to run a CoC 7E one-shot and retrap a scenario for 1700s/1800s New England so its full of spooky old gothic flavour. However we cant get ourselves organised for such, so those notions are vapourware now.

Next year I intend to run a Goonies-meets-Super 8-Scream style game, set in smalltown mid 1980s. A bit of nostalgic fun. Was gonna use FAE with iconic kid steretypes. Looks like I'm now backing The Monster Hunters Club, which is exactly what I was looking for, so if its ready this time next year I'll be running that (converted to FAE, or RAW in SW).

But thats next year. This year Halloween has been a missed opportunity :sad:

Last edited:
I GMed "Hell to Pay," an Old West/Halloween game, last Saturday and had a grand time. I had hoped to run it again this past weekend, but never found the time. Always fun doing horror/creepy one-shots.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back