How does Free League do it?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

MarkwithaC

Pubber
Reaction score
Sorry for the click bait title, but the full question was too long.

How does Free League deliver such high quality books at such a (relatively) low price. Specifically I'm referring to their books' physical production rather than their actual games (which may not be to everyone's taste).

Take for example Coriolis, 300+ page rule book with glossy pages, amazing art, hardcover with satin feel, and stitch binding while still being cheaper than a DnD 5e core rulebook (which use flimsy paper and binding).

I hate to pick on Mongoose because I like what they are doing with Traveller, but FL is also coming in cheaper than them with higher production values. Some have said that the Traveller IP is expensive, but I can't imagine it being more expensive than LotR. Free League's The One Ring core rulebook is also relatively cheap.

Maybe someone can confirm they move a lot of copies and have economies of scale, but I don't get the impression they are bigger than say Paizo.

So what gives? Are their profit margins simply razor thin?

The fact that at least some of their titles are licensed from IP's can't help with keeping their costs down.

They achieve efficiency without sacrificing quality. You could say that its partially a cultural thing for Sweden (KEA yadda yadda yadda), though its more to do with the personal talent and vision of those behind FL and their ability to communicate that to everything they do.

Printing (from a highly ethical source) in Lithuania Latvia instead of ... other places ... helps with high quality for lower cost.

Haven't seen the latest game books, but that's where Coriolis & other early titles were printed.

EDIT: Baltic state confusion typo.

Last edited:
Printing (from a highly ethical source) in Lithuania instead of ... other places ... helps with high quality for lower cost.

Haven't seen the latest game books, but that's where Coriolis & other early titles were printed.
Do they print there for US Distribution as well or just Europe?

I typed Lithuania and meant Latvia. Sorry Baltic cousins. Their printer is Livonia in Riga.

They print everything for everywhere, so far as I know. At least in the beginning. I haven't picked up anything from FL since about the time they took over Symbaroum (Mörk Borg is printed there), but other than perhaps sheer numbers of books needed, I couldn't see why they would change printers who have consistently done such amazing work.

Pure speculation but Latvia has a golden visa program so it's possible the requirement to be profitable is not as high a requirement as employ X employees at a specified wage. A printing company is easy to explain to an investor.

I was amazed at the production quality of Forbidden Lands for the price I paid. And that's with UK VAT added to box sets! Books are VAT-exempt.

Outsourcing to China was really popular
Judging from Kickstarter projects, it still is, although less so due to covid pushing up those shipping costs. I'm one of those silly ethical folk who inquire about such things before spending money. Unless I know the where a title is going to be printed--or where dice are going to be *ehem* cast--I won't back a project, nor support a publisher who outsources to questionable companies in questionable places. I've encountered projects and game lines that employ sensitivity readers, but then also use cheap factory labor in China to keep costs low. Public-facing virtue, private-facing vice. Personally, if I'm going to sell off shares in the stock of my soul, I like to know who's buying. :tongue:

That's what I was saying. The extra costs of dealing with an IP means making their products affordable and of high physical quality even more impressive.
Whoops. That will teach me not to post before I have my morning coffee.

On topic, I wonder if Free League benefits from cultural subsidies that I've seen other Scandinavian publishers use, like the Nordic Film Institute's sponsorship of the Longest Journey/Dreamfall games.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back