It's here! The Urban Fantasy tabletop RPG Modern is available now!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
It's Pathfinder based?
thumbs-down-512.png

I'm actually interested in a flexible urban fantasy game that can handle a range of modern settings from whimsical to horror. Pathfinder is kind of a dealbreaker though.

It's a familiar d20 system with a lot of twists that make it quite different than Pathfinder, even if it uses it as a base of operations, so to speak.

Anybody remember the old books in the Wizard of Fourth Street series? System looks like it could do that world pretty well.

I kinda wish there was a separate subforum for the occasional ads that crop up. If you're going to explain your game and answer questions about it, that's one thing, but just "Hey, buy my game!" is another kettle of fish to me and doesn't really belong in the discussion section.
My-2-Cents-Fails-1.jpg

It's a familiar d20 system with a lot of twists that make it quite different than Pathfinder, even if it uses it as a base of operations, so to speak.
Being a d20 system derivative based on Pathfinder isn't exactly a selling point. How much did you strip it down to make it palatable to those of us uninterested in a bloated system with too much emphasis on tactical combat?

You wound me.
Not intentional, my good sir. My experiences with Pathfinder led to a little frustration due to the layers of detail, but my experience with 2d20 just didn't turn out well at all and was a total train wreck. Based on the 2d20 game I tried, I have little desire to return. I'm bummed that so many of my favorite franchises (Conan, Star Trek, John Carter, Dune?) are all done in a system which I didn't enjoy. :sad:

There are a few modern urban fantasy games around, Humanish being one. And that does not use D20 that I recall. Even a simple narrative based one would have done.

Being a d20 system derivative based on Pathfinder isn't exactly a selling point. How much did you strip it down to make it palatable to those of us uninterested in a bloated system with too much emphasis on tactical combat?
It is to some. There's a fair number of us who have no hate for D20 and it can make for an easy common language.

I like d20 just fine. When I saw the Modern I was getting excited. Then I read about the fantasy part and my heart sunk a bit. Looks like a fine product, but not what I’m looking for.

Ulauri: Such as?

Dumarest: Here I am. Answering questions. :smile:

Tell us what the game is, how does it play, what system powers it, why it's fun, etc. Not just a link to a product. We need features and benefits! Remember: features tell and benefits sell!

The game is Modern. It's gritty Urban Fantasy with heavy emphasis on "fluff" - setting, species and cosmological lore. It also has an emphasis on roleplaying over dungeon crawling, but with plenty of room for action. It uses the d20 with familiarity to pathfinder (1st edition), with a lean into character customization during creation as well as advancement. There are unique classes and twists on common tropes.

The main selling point, to me, is the fact that I'm working hard to make fantasy less of a murderhobo dungeon crawl and more of a realistic urban fantasy setting.

To me, it's fun because I get to play fantasy characters in open situations with moral, social and political decisionmaking. The game has its own metaplot that is moving toward an outcome that players will be able to actually affect in the long run, especially when the LARP is made available.

You can check out the Book Of Elves Kickstarter, here. And as for selling the Kickstarter, I'd refer you to the Q&A we had for it last night. Three hours left!

What do you mean by murderhobo dungeon crawl and what do you mean by realistic urban fantasy setting?

Thanks!

A bit of a joke. Just that it is a game with an emphasis on roleplaying.

It's a modern Earth setting in which magic and monsters have always existed.

A bit of a joke. Just that it is a game with an emphasis on roleplaying.

It's a modern Earth setting in which magic and monsters have always existed.

I'm a bit of a dummy so you'll have to help me out: what do you mean the game has an emphasis on roleplaying?

It's a 300 page book. Is that just setting background and metaplot? Are there actual game mechanics?

What does a group actually do in a session? You say it focuses on social, political, and moral decision making but for what purpose? From your posts I dont think the game is trying to simulate a world as in the traditional RPG method but instead focus on telling stories.

The issue with jokes about murderhobo dungeon crawling or story game boars and sows is that those terms really dont mean anything. I know what dungeon crawling is and that's a useful term. Everything else doesn't actually help me understand what your game is and how it actually plays which makes it difficult to sell.

Keep in mind that all of those copy may make sense on RPG.net which has a more story type game bent than theRPGSite which is more of an OSR conclave. But from your description it sounds like the game isn't about having adventures so I dont know what we'd actually do if playing.

I love urban fantasy/scifi as a setting. Big fan of the Dresden Files, Wizard of Fourth Street, the Time Wars novels, etc. But with a game I need to know what do the mechanics help me as a referee and my group do.

Again, I'm a dummy and come from the old school framework and enjoy BRP games (KAP, CoC, RuneQuest) and Palladium as well as AD&D. I can describe how those games support a mode of play.

What would this game play like? And how does the KS help support it.

I hope I'm not alone being confused about why you're selling the product because I'm not familiar with it at all and never heard of it until your advertisement post. I think a lot of the posters here tend more towards the old school end of the spectrum than more indy storytelly type games. But we do have a wider array of tastes than some other forums.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back