Judge Dredd 2?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Hell is other people.
Now featuring Karl Urban!

I would love another Dredd film.
But as my joke implies, it feels like a Dredd sequel has been in developmental hell now for a decade.

This is really good news, but I kinda disagree with everything else in the article.

Fans around the world would also love to see Judge Death come into the picture, as would we.

No I wouldn't. In all the best Dredd stories, the star of the show is actually Mega City One.

I admit, I kind of think Judge Death is fairly one note.

Mind you, Judge Dredd's biggest problem is also his best feature in that he's as much the villain in any examination of Mega City One as he is the hero.

Judge Child or the Day the Law Died would make for much more interesting movie plotlines I think.

How was the first movie? Never saw it.

One of the reasons I think 2012 worked was it was very much just a day in the life of Dredd, rather than feeling the need to do an overarching plot.

How was the first movie? Never saw it.

It's a genuinely fantastic example of doing a very simple premise and idea so perfectly that it transcends its simplicity. The world-building, characterization, and social satire are all there without compromising the fact it's a fairly straight forward cops versus robbers premise.

There were actually two previous ones, although both are standalones.

1995 (Stallone) was awful.

2012 (Urban) was pretty decent.
I recently read an episode of 2000AD where interdimensional wackiness occurred and Dredd from the comics met Dredds from the movies. Comic Dredd and 2012 Dredd had this conversation about 1995 Dredd:

"He took his helmet off."
"Yeah."
"Did you ever-?"
"Not on the streets."
"We should watch that one. I'm not sure about him."

1995 (Stallone) was awful.
It's a guilty pleasure for me. He brought too much of the feel from Demolition Man (which I think he made because he couldn't make Dredd at the time) to it and tried to humanize him too much in the end. It worked in Demolition Man (great movie IMO). Not so much for Dredd.

One of the reasons I think 2012 worked was it was very much just a day in the life of Dredd, rather than feeling the need to do an overarching plot.

Yeah, I love this exchange from near the end of the movie, which makes it clear that the preceding events were just a typical day on the job as far as Dredd is concerned (very mild spoiler):

CHIEF JUDGE: What happened in there?

DREDD: Drugs bust.

CHIEF JUDGE: You look like you've been through it.

DREDD: Perps were uncooperative.

CHIEF JUDGE: Aren't they always?

It's a guilty pleasure for me. He brought too much of the feel from Demolition Man (which I think he made because he couldn't make Dredd at the time) to it and tried to humanize him too much in the end. It worked in Demolition Man (great movie IMO). Not so much for Dredd.
Humanising Dredd can and has worked, depending on the author but it needs a very iight touch. A lot of the more human Dredd is about his struggle between the Law and Justice (Democracy being probably the bext example).

Also, realistically, he didn't start out like that. The various writers have had 40 years to let the character grow naturally which isn't possible for a film.

Also, realistically, a Dredd movie about his internal turmoil would appeal to a subset of the hardcore fans. Most people want a Dredd movie where he shouts "I am the Law!" and shoots perps with his lawgiver.

Most people want a Dredd movie where he shouts "I am the Law!" and shoots perps with his lawgiver.
Must admit, my favourite Dredd moments are the ones where he's faced with a perp much bigger and tougher than he could be expected to deal with... and he's completely unimpressed. Because he's the law. And they aren't.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back