Movie Recommendation Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
There was no point in continuing past the "agree to disagree" point.

Prometheus was a beautiful film, with a fantastically original story, great acting, and great directing. It was one of the best films of the last decade, and easily hits my favourite films of all time list.

I don't insist anyone else agree with me on that, I think everyone encounters, reacts to, experiences, and enjoys all media differently.

But I roll my eyes when someone insists that I agree with their opinion. I think that's a very silly thing.
I don't actually care if you agree or disagree with me. I just make the case for why I feel the way I do and leave the rest to you. In the case of Prometheus, it's a beautiful looking movie with a dreary plot, characters that act in ways that make no sense and a general feeling that it needed a few tweaks here and there to elevate it from mediocrity into magnificence.

If you're ok with that, that is your choice to make. For me, it isn't enough.

Hero At Large was fun. Entertaining, and John Ritter was always good. It was actually more realistic than I'd expected. Certainly a more believable handling "What if someone became a superhero in the real world?" than any comics I've seen. Of course, they tagged on a redemptive Hollywood ending and ignore the most interesting thing, as most films do, which is what happens next?
captainavenger7.jpg

Hero At Large was fun.

Ritter himself was a huge comicbook fan. I actually sat right next to him at Shea Stadium when I attended the Spider-man wedding. I've often thought it was a huge shame that he passed away before the comicbook film boom.

Ritter himself was a huge comicbook fan. I actually sat right next to him at Shea Stadium when I attended the Spider-man wedding. I've often thought it was a huge shame that he passed away before the comicbook film boom.
Neat to know. I just know he was a really good actor and by all accounts a really nice person.

Neat to know. I just know he was a really good actor and by all accounts a really nice person.

I thought it was a shame his son's career never took off, he seemed to take after his father in that regard. Don't know if he had Ritter's talent for physical comedy, but he certainly had his charisma. But after Freddy vs Jason, never saw him again in film.

Not saying it is a masterpiece or anything but for any fan of blaxploitation there are several classics moments in Gonna Git You Sucka.

NecessaryAcclaimedBushsqueaker-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:
Saw this on Netflix. Last Rampage is based on the Tison prison break and murder spree in the late 70s. A very grim docu-drama with a very good cast. This story was also shot as a TV movie starring Robert Mitchum, James Spader and Eric Stoltz in the early 80s. What makes it interesting to me in terms of gaming is the way it exposes how hollow notions of playing an 'evil' character in a RPG usually are.

Last edited:
Amazon Prime has a lot of really bad horror movies. I know this because I am apparently working my way through each and every one of them ... The Blair Witch Project 2016: for god's sake, why?!

Once Upon a Time in America was one of the favourites among myself and my brothers as kids as it played all the time on TV. We were seeing the truncated, re-edited North America version where the ending always seemed bizarre and a bit left field. But to see the proper European cut is to understand this dream-like fable.

As much as I love his SW this Jewish gangster film is Leone’s most adult and deep film, very rich and masterfully constructed. Few other gangster films even attempt anything close to this film, really only the first two Godfather films equal it.

Gamewise I could see using some kind of Pendragon-like system to try and capture the sweep of time central to the film. It would also be interesting if RPGs tried to capture the variety of US gangsters, perhaps via a Factions system: Jewish, Irish, Italian, Russian, Chinese, et al.

Gamewise I could see using some kind of Pendragon-like system to try and capture the sweep of time central to the film. It would also be interesting if RPGs tried to capture the variety of US gangsters, perhaps via a Factions system: Jewish, Irish, Italian, Russian, Chinese, et al.

Fffuuuu — count me in! Sounds awesome

I have seen some movies in theater and I had quite a good times thanks to them

They were :

- Solo, a Star Wars movie : likeable characters, nice story and action packed. I rank him as high as Rogue One.
- Sicario 2 : disturbing and very violent, it is a worthy sequel to the original.
- Jurassic World : Fallen Kingdom : More dinosaurs, nuff say !
- The Incredibles 2 : as intersting and engaging as the first.
- Ant-Man and the Wasp : an excellent family friendly super heroes movie !

I also saw Ghost in the Shell, the live action movie, which is a good movie but not as good as the 2 anime movie by Mamoru Oshii (who, by the way, also did Patlabor 2, which an excellent political anime movie !)

Last edited:
I think he reached his maximum audience penetration with Skin Deep.

I saw Mission Impossible Fallout yesterday and it was a very good and spectacular action movie !
I thought Tom Cruise stopped making those a while back and some other actor picked up the reins...am I thinking of some other Tom Cruise franchise?

I thought Tom Cruise stopped making those a while back and some other actor picked up the reins...am I thinking of some other Tom Cruise franchise?

I never hear anything indicating that Tom Cruise was about leaving the Mission Impossible franchise. And I have no idea what other franchise it might be.

I never hear anything indicating that Tom Cruise was about leaving the Mission Impossible franchise. And I have no idea what other franchise it might be.
Didn't he do some Tom Clancy movies? Jack Ryan, Jack Teacher or some other franchise that various actors have had a go at?

MI: Fallout was a good fun movie. But it did suffer from being an MI movie. Which is to say you watch It, then a day later you forget pretty much everything about it other than you enjoyed it.

Maybe you are refering to Jack Reacher, whom Tom Cruise played for two movies, which are based on novels by Lee Child.

And having a memory of a moment of enjoyment seems pretty sweet to me.

Maybe you are refering to Jack Reacher, whom Tom Cruise played for two movies, which are based on novels by Lee Child.

And having a memory of a moment of enjoyment seems pretty sweet to me.
That's quite likely what I'm thinking of. I tend to avoid Tom Cruise for various reasons. But the MI movies are good despite the miniature one's involvement.

Ah, I was thinking of the Jason Bourne movie series that Jeremy Renner took over. He was also in a Mission: Impossible movie so I got them mixed up. They all sort of blur together to me as the characters and stories are mostly interchangeable.

Ah, I was thinking of the Jason Bourne movie series that Jeremy Renner took over.

Well, they tried him for one movie, but guess it didnt work out, because Matt Damon was back for the next film. Hopefully the last.

I love me a good high-octane spy flick (and wish we had more RPGs patterned after the genre) but I will be in no hurry to see this one, as all the Tom Cruise M:I movie after the first look rather too much like each other.

I hated the first MI (except for the soundtrack) and haven't watched one since.

Mi 6 is pretty decent action movie and features many scenes shoot in Paris and it is quite a view (even if this part of the movie totaly blow my suspension of disbilief since fire armed combat is rare occurence in France and the authorities would probably reponse quite more fiercely than in the movie but whatever ...) !

I love me a good high-octane spy flick (and wish we had more RPGs patterned after the genre) but I will be in no hurry to see this one, as all the Tom Cruise M:I movie after the first look rather too much like each other.

Honest Trailers did one on the first five Mission: Impossible movies, and that's what they argued too. They're all pretty much the exact same film.

"Never go full Woo."

Mi 6 is pretty decent action movie and features many scenes shoot in Paris and it is quite a view (even if this part of the movie totaly blow my suspension of disbilief since fire armed combat is rare occurence in France and the authorities would probably reponse quite more fiercely than in the movie but whatever ...) !

Ronin and Transporter would like to dispute your assessment. :gunslinger::clown:

Ronin and Transporter would like to dispute your assessment. :gunslinger::clown:

Butcher, I would have conceded victory to you on this particuliar point if you have cited movies from Jacques Audiard, or feauring Alain Delon, Jean-Paul Blemondo or Yves Montand which feature gun violence the French way but since you only wrote about clearly international productions, I will use my French privilege (LOL) to be a pedant and scoff at your bad taste in action flicks ! :sick:

Butcher, I would have conceded victory to you on this particuliar point if you have cited movies from Jacques Audiard, or feauring Alain Delon, Jean-Paul Blemondo or Yves Montand which feature gun violence the French way but since you only wrote about clearly international productions, I will use my French privilege (LOL) to be a pedant and scoff at your bad taste in action flicks ! :sick:

Fair enough. I did see a French movie recently (this one) but it’s not an action flick and frankly a bit risqué (heh) for debate in this forum.

On a more serious note — care to recommend me some French action movies?

I will certainly try my best to promote all things French to people who are curious about them !

No knowing your knowledge with French language and culture (because I genuily want to lead you to movies that you can enjoy easily), I will stick to classics movies : 60s and 70s movies with Alain Delon, Jean-Paul Belmondo and Yves Montand are generaly good and probably (but don't quote me on this, I watch them in French) have decent English translation.

There is a truly beautiful and family friendly French animation movie called the King and the Mocking Bird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_and_the_Mockingbird) which I warmly recommand to anybody !

Since you might be interested in nice movies featuring beautiful French actresses (because I presume you are an estheste), you have a rather pleasant musical movie called the Young Girls of Rochefort with Catherine Deneuve and her late sister Françoise Dorléac. Actually 60s and 70s with her tend to be good classics but less charming that the Young Girls of Rochefort : Belle de Jour is about a married well to do woman who prostitute herself, so while it is a classic, it might too risqué for you.

If you want no brain comedy, you have the Taxi series (with the first featured Marion Cottilard, who is a talented actress).. If you enjoyed her talented, she played in many French movies but I would be hard to recommand others French movies because they are very French.

70s and 80s movies with Isabelle Adjani are generaly good (and the youg Adjani is lovely).

Don't Worry, I'm fine with Mélanie Laurent is quite good and the Princess of Montpensier with Mélanie Thierry is also good.

A personal favorite of mine is The Beat that My heart Skipped which I greatly enjoyed from Jacques Audiard (his father Michel Audiard made nice 50s and 60s movies too). His movie A Propeht is also very good and it is a ganster movie.

If you want more, don't hesitate to ask by you should be good now

Bourne to Run
Bourne in the U.S.A.
Bourne Free
Wasn't Bourne to Follow
Bourne Under a Bad Sign
Bourne on the Bayou
Bourne in East L.A.

...gets old fast, eh? :hehe:

Fair enough. I did see a French movie recently (this one) but it’s not an action flick and frankly a bit risqué (heh) for debate in this forum.

On a more serious note — care to recommend me some French action movies?

Have you seen the amazng French crime thrillers of Melville? Not quite action films but damn exciting. Army of Shadows is perhaps his best, it is a very unromanticized portrait of the French resistance.

Last edited:
Just watching Sergei Eisenstein's 1945 Ivan the Terrible

Got turned onto the film after watching an interview with Peter Weller, wherein he said that the performance of Ivan in this film was the basis for his portrayal of Robocop. It's a gorgeous period drama, sumptuous costumes, beautifully shot.

Looking now for an HD copy on Blu-Ray.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back