[OOC] Neon Knights - setting and character creation

Dr. Mindermast

Name-level psychologist
Reaction score
(If you've stumbled into this thread and you're interested in joining, recruitment is still open - post in this thread over here, or if that's closed you can send me a private message)

Setting creation is Neon Knights is done by having everyone take turns answering a list of questions about our Realm. At the table we would just go around doing one question at a time; for the pbp format I'll assign all the questions now instead, and you can do yours all in one shot or go one at a time and wait to see what the others say. If any more players join the game before we're done then I'll assign them questions that haven't been answered yet.

Templum Domini Templum Domini gets:
  • Who is your liege Lord?
  • What is something from Before that still remains and is known in the Realm?
  • What is one thing the Realm needs but is lacking?
Silverlion Silverlion gets:
  • Besides the Knights, what is something or someone else the Lord can count on?
  • What is a notable landmark or location within the Realm?
  • Who or what is one of the biggest threats facing the Realm now?
Hairless Bear Hairless Bear gets:
  • What is something everyone knows about the Realm’s history?
  • What is a notable landmark or location outside of the Realm?
  • Who or what is another potential threat?
...and then I will take:
  • What is something everyone has forgotten about the Realm’s history?
  • How big is the Realm?
  • What makes the Realm such a desirable target for either (or both) of these threats?

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Reaction score
The Lords can count on the levy men, the common local soldiers who hold the towns to serve their towns well.

Templum Domini

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Templum Domini Templum Domini gets:
  • Who is your liege Lord?
  • What is something from Before that still remains and is known in the Realm?
  • What is one thing the Realm needs but is lacking?

Our Liege Lord is the Constitutional Emperor of The Realm, aided by his Prime Minister.

Mass Drivers.

Rare Earths.

-------

Fair warning, by the way, something might be coming up in the next few days, so my ability to get involved here might be cut short.

Again, nothing sure yet.

Hairless Bear

Reaction score
What is something everyone knows about the Realm’s history?
Before the current Emperor united the realm under his rule, there had been a lot of animosity and even skirmishes between the towns. That's why he is regarded as a peacemaker and savior. He is also quite old.
What is a notable landmark or location outside of the Realm?
The Broken Spire, which is a ruin of a tall building from the time Before. It's surrounded by a junkyard that is full of old broken technology. You can salvage some useful parts or rare materials, if you are brave enough, as it's a dangerous place.
Who or what is another potential threat?
Hobgoblins. They were always enemies of the realm, but rumor has it that they've made some progress in understanding and using the technology from Before, which would make them a more dangerous enemy.

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Reaction score
A notable landmark within the realm is the Ark, an unexplored but massive spacecraft that crashed ages ago, it's design is seemingly alien, and on a scale that puts massive cities to shame. What might be inside?

One of the biggest threats facing the realm is the Demonseed plague, an unknown illness that spreads across the land twisting ordinary folk into inhuman demons. Their reason and intellect subverted to some sinister purpose.

Templum Domini

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Fair warning, I just got a burst of inspiration and might - might - be running another game idea soon, which could affect if I can play in this one...

Dr. Mindermast

Name-level psychologist
Reaction score
  • What is something everyone has forgotten about the Realm’s history?
  • How big is the Realm?
  • What makes the Realm such a desirable target for either (or both) of these threats?
So that just leaves me...

Something forgotten is that the civilization which was here Before did a lot of research in communicating with the stars, with other planes of existence, and whatever else they could find a way to reach. They built communication arrays all around the land, none of which are still intact.

The size of the Realm is three days' hard riding by Steed, or three days and nights of nonstop travel by airship.

The Realm is desirable to the Demonseed because of the high population - plenty of subjects to corrupt. The hobgoblins want it because of some ancient myth or prophecy of theirs. The details have been lost to time (at least from your side), except that it involves the capital city.

-------------

Now that the questions have been answered, the next step is to define three Aspects for the Realm based on the information we've put together. You can also start throwing around character ideas.

Dr. Mindermast

Name-level psychologist
Reaction score
FWIW I do most of my play by post over on rpol.net. I'm doing this one here because I wanted to cast a wider net for playtesting.

Hairless Bear

Reaction score
Sir Jorrel

Mighty Deed: Fearless Demon Fighter
Note: Quite a few times has Sir Jorrel fought the demons and protected the realm from them. Knighting him was an obvious matter.
Temptation: Do our people deserve to be protected?
Note: As Sir Jorrel has quite high moral standards, he is not sure that ordinary people - who are usually not as lawful as him - deserve the protection of the knights.
Aspect: I still don't trust that machine
Note: While he is able to drive his Steed, he still doesn't feel comfortable doing so. He didn't even name his Steed.
Aspect: I am the law!

The last aspect shall be used for some kind of connection to other knight(s).

Approaches:
Courage 2
Diligence 1
Wisdom 1
Empathy 0
Prudence 2
Prowess 1

Stunts (spending 1 refresh point):
Mace Mastery: +1 when attacking with mace.
Ward against Demons: +1 when defending demon attacks.

Steed
Aspect: Defender's Best Friend
Speed 0
Maneuverability 1
Endurance 1

Steed Stunts:
Armored: +1 armor
Quiet Engine: +1 when trying to ride unnoticed

Armaments:
Exquisite Mace: Weapon:2
Ornate Bascinet: +1 to intimidation rolls
Basic: armor, lance, blaster
Enhancements: 1 to Exquisite Mace and 1 to Ornate Bascinet

Coat of Arms (stolen from Wikipedia):
437px-COA_-_Harley%2C_Earl_of_Oxford_and_Earl_Mortimer.svg.png

Dr. Mindermast Dr. Mindermast Is this alright with you ?

Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com