Prowlers & Paragons

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Rogerdee

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
So I have had the core book for a while, but never really gotten around to fully reading it. However, a mate let me read his Pinnacle City's Most Wanted, which then prompted me to purchase Modern Gods. I found this latter book a utter breath of fresh air, full of ideas that are easily mined.

Not saying others like M&M or Champions or Savage Worlds don't, but it seems a bit different, with a fresh take. So, I am currently trying to digest the rules. How do they fare in-

* Complexity / Simplicity
* Playability
* Understandability

Against the following-

* Mutants and Masterminds (2e or 3e)
* Omni: Whether we are using the Core of Godsend Agenda 3e.
* Savage Worlds Supers
* Tri-Stat / Absolute Power (let's leave out any issues regarding the author).

I won't include Champions, as I find it entirely too complex for my older brain, I know a lot of you love it, and I have a few supplements for it.

Ah, I was hoping you'd tell me. I look at all the numbers on the character sheet and my eyes glaze over. They say its easy, but most the superhero games I like are easy without so many numbers.

I'm a low-to-mid (at highest) crunch guy (i.e., not very smart). I've played some P&P with friemds who are former long-time Champions players (and from what I've seem, lots of old Champions heads have taken a shine to P&P).

It's smooth, and you can model just about anything you want. It's dead simple. Easy to learn and play.

IIRC, a lot of the numbers on the sheet do the same thing, as the game has a unified mechanic.

That said, I apologize as I haven't played any of the systems you mentioned, save Omni (as Talislanta 4e). And in terms of Omni, I'd say it was pretty comparable to P&P in terms of smoothness and easiness to grok.

I wouldn't compare P&PUE to Khepera's Godsend Agenda 3E; it's closer to Kepera's Mythic d6, Supers RED, or Triumphant!.

But it's even easier than that; you aren't adding anything together, you roll the number of dice associated with the trait and whichever of the two unified mechanics your group prefers, narrative or traditional. Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy. You don't have to worry about other traits affecting things (unless a power specifically says it affects X) or butting up against a paired ceiling, unlike games like Champions, M&M, or OVA.

I kinda see P&P as being to Champions what Federation Commander is to Star Fleet Battles: An attempt to capture the same experience without quite so much math. Task resolution also has a narrative element and you're allowed to improvise your powers somewhat, both of which were traits that Champs/Hero System deliberately avoided.

JG

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back