Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Did you say one of your kids came up with a dice system for resolving GI Joe combats? I'd love to hear the details!

Also, happy Father's Day!

Did you say one of your kids came up with a dice system for resolving GI Joe combats? I'd love to hear the details!

Also, happy Father's Day!
Thanks. Yes, my son wrote up some rules for combat resolution using a six-sider. After playing with them, he realized a couple of the results were out of whack if certain types of units were rendered hors de combat so he's reworking them.
You're letting your kids make you old, man.
Quite the opposite, actually!

Today is my 12-year anniversary of working for my current employer. I generally avoid specifically naming it, but "largest public library system in the Midwestern United States" should give you a solid idea. I work at the regional library for the north side of the city. Pretty sure 12 years is by far the longest I've continuously done any particular thing.

giphy.gif

Today is my 12-year anniversary of working for my current employer. I generally avoid specifically naming it, but "largest public library system in the Midwestern United States" should give you a solid idea. I work at the regional library for the north side of the city. Pretty sure 12 years is by far the longest I've continuously done any particular thing.
Wow, I have already been working with my current employer since mid 1997 or 98, my permanent contract started july 2001. What can I say, I'm lazy loyal like that.

View attachment 10075
¡Es la invasión de los luchadores!

Hey, I have those guys. It says Heroes del Ring on the package. I got them in Tepoztlán, Morelos. I even got a little hexagonal fighting ring with them. Unfortunately I still haven't figured out how to get pics from my phone posted here in acceptable size.

Fun fact, these cheaply produced figures are apparently actually handpainted and mentioned in a book on Mexican Folk Art that I own, alongside all the woodwork, paper-mache, weaving and embroidery. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
You know, I was playing in a game called Luchador: Way of the Mask. We fought all sorts of nutty crazy fun things. I can't recall if it was the one with the Aztec mummy or not. I know we dealt with a lot of crazy stuff. The system was a little stiff and slow; though I loved how my GM let me reroll my first character because his stats were so bad. The replacement sucked at Agility; which is important stat wise. But he was a "Bruiser" wrestler archetype, so while I may not manage grabs and such as often as I like, when I had them, they were going down! My character rolled max (? I think) Strength which the game allows the possibility of going past human maximums. I was also really smart, so my character taught science in a poor school, and used his money to support the science program for the kids. (I also took a woodcarving for having "skills that surprise you" quirk.)

He drove an old battered pickup, despite earning some decent money.

Yes, he is named "Silverlion" roughly in Spanish. I just had a lot of silly fun with that character.

As for life, backed into a car a couple of weeks back. Didn't realize I'd gotten so close--my own dumb fault (admittedly there were distractions, but still my fault.) Been wrestling (ha!) with getting the money and insurance to pay for it. Really annoyed that I did something stupid. Sinus woes continue, heat and weird up and down humidity here.

Last edited:
Wow, I have already been working with my current employer since mid 1997 or 98, my permanent contract started july 2001. What can I say, I'm lazy loyal like that.

Hey, I have those guys. It says Heroes del Ring on the package. I got them in Tepoztlán, Morelos. I even got a little hexagonal fighting ring with them. Unfortunately I still haven't figured out how to get pics from my phone posted here in acceptable size.

Fun fact, these cheaply produced figures are apparently actually handpainted and mentioned in a book on Mexican Folk Art that I own, alongside all the woodwork, paper-mache, weaving and embroidery. :thumbsup:
Snapseed app. Open a photo in it and export it. Should be a reasonable size.

You know, I was playing in a game called Luchador: Way of the Mask. We fought all sorts of nutty crazy fun things. I can't recall if it was the one with the Aztec mummy or not. I know we dealt with a lot of crazy stuff. The system was a little stiff and slow; though I loved how my GM let me reroll my first character because his stats were so bad. The replacement sucked at Agility; which is important stat wise. But he was a "Bruiser" wrestler archetype, so while I may not manage grabs and such as often as I like, when I had them, they were going down! My character rolled max (? I think) Strength which the game allows the possibility of going past human maximums. I was also really smart, so my character taught science in a poor school, and used his money to support the science program for the kids. (I also took a woodcarving for having "skills that surprise you" quirk.)

He drove an old battered pickup, despite earning some decent money.

Yes, he is named "Silverlion" roughly in Spanish. I just had a lot of silly fun with that character.
I assume he was León de Plata, which sounds like a legitimate luchador name. I bought Luchador, but haven't read it yet. It's been sitting on a shelf. How did it work for you? When I was leafing through it, it seemed class-based and lacking background information.

Mine just came in a little Ziploc bag, no ring, no frills, just the dolls with their detachable capes. I have about two dozen of them. My goal is to someday paint them in different designs and give them their own names.

My wife is about a month shy of hitting her 25th anniversary with her company, she started there about seven years before we met. She started in the warehouse doing assembly when she was going to college and has worked her way up to senior program manager over the years. She’s a hard worker.

I assume he was León de Plata, which sounds like a legitimate luchador name. I bought Luchador, but haven't read it yet. It's been sitting on a shelf. How did it work for you? When I was leafing through it, it seemed class-based and lacking background information.

Yeah. Pretty much, the "character" word is a link above. However, as I said its a little slow for what it's trying to do, mechanically a d20 roll under with caveats and neat mechanics like HEAT which is interesting, but it has been a couple of years now. So details are short beyond I liked the way HEAT and Fame worked. The GM (Dan Davenport) played up the fact we were basically luchadores from the movies. So pulp superheroes in a way. I really want a sleek Luchadore game (because hey, I did watch those movies, even if they had subtitles) We dealt with an evil corporation a lot. Yes, it is short of detail and class-based, with a little more sprinkled through other books, but not much. It's more "here are ideas, do your thing."

Yeah. Pretty much, the "character" word is a link above. However, as I said its a little slow for what it's trying to do, mechanically a d20 roll under with caveats and neat mechanics like HEAT which is interesting, but it has been a couple of years now. So details are short beyond I liked the way HEAT and Fame worked. The GM (Dan Davenport) played up the fact we were basically luchadores from the movies. So pulp superheroes in a way. I really want a sleek Luchadore game (because hey, I did watch those movies, even if they had subtitles) We dealt with an evil corporation a lot. Yes, it is short of detail and class-based, with a little more sprinkled through other books, but not much. It's more "here are ideas, do your thing."
I'll have to take a look.

In case you ever want to use the Spanish versions:

Salvatore DeLeon = Salvador de León (Salvatore is Italian...but luchador identities are secret anyway...why is it on the sheet at all?)
The Lion’s Bite = La Mordedura del León
The Gilded Maw = Las Fauces Doradas
Sterling Silver Slam = La Golpa de Plata Esterlina
The Lion’s Roar = El Rugido del León

Last edited:
Mine just came in a little Ziploc bag, no ring, no frills, just the dolls with their detachable capes. I have about two dozen of them. My goal is to someday paint them in different designs and give them their own names.
I saw them packaged like that as well, but we liked the little ring. It came with four luchadors, a blue, a white, a silver and a red one. I just love that these are considered actual Folk Art handicrafts. Might want to think twice about repainting them, or get a spare set to keep in "mint" condition. :shade:

Quality-wise, this super cheap stuff is totally shitty, by the way. One cape has already deteriorated and the paint doesn't exactly stick either. Mind you, we have them on permanent display in the living room, which I am sure won't exactly increase their life expectancy.

I saw them packaged like that as well, but we liked the little ring. It came with four luchadors, a blue, a white, a silver and a red one. I just love that these are considered actual Folk Art handicrafts. Might want to think twice about repainting them, or get a spare set to keep in "mint" condition. :shade:

Quality-wise, this super cheap stuff is totally shitty, by the way. One cape has already deteriorated and the paint doesn't exactly stick either. Mind you, we have them on permanent display in the living room, which I am sure won't exactly increase their life expectancy.
Well, "mint condition" for these guys (mine came six in a bag, only real difference between one and the next is the color of his cape and tights) is :crap: with paint splattered, misapplied, or peeling off, so I have no qualms about "ruining" anything. Plus since I have two dozen, that means I get four tries if need be since they're basically the same six luchadores x 4.

Anybody know what kind of paint would set well on little plastic luchador dolls?

Going to see the Rolling Stones tonight. I predict they will end the show with a version of "Satisfaction" that is at least ten minutes long. Truthfully, I'm not that much of a Rolling Stones fan, but my best friend is a huge fan, so when he suggested we go, I said sure.

Well, "mint condition" for these guys (mine came six in a bag, only real difference between one and the next is the color of his cape and tights) is :crap: with paint splattered, misapplied, or peeling off, so I have no qualms about "ruining" anything. Plus since I have two dozen, that means I get four tries if need be since they're basically the same six luchadores x 4.

Anybody know what kind of paint would set well on little plastic luchador dolls?
With "mint" condition, I meant more something along the lines of "authentic". We're talking Folk Art, after all.

In my case, folk art mass-produced at the maquiladora. :hehe:
Folk art is often mass-produced. The fact that these plastic figures are apparently actually hand-painted (if you want to call it painting) means they qualify as folk art, apparently. I'm not just pulling this out of my ass, lol. I'll post proof once I get this cell phone camera thing figured out.

Snapseed app. Open a photo in it and export it. Should be a reasonable size.
At your risk... :wink: Currently installing this.

Update: Too much of a fuzz, sorry.

I'm actually looking for a way to transfer photos from my cell phone to my PC without using a cloud service. Connecting the thing with a USB cable doesn't seem to work.

Last edited:
At your risk... :wink: Currently installing this.

Update: Too much of a fuzz, sorry.

I'm actually looking for a way to transfer photos from my cell phone to my PC without using a cloud service. Connecting the thing with a USB cable doesn't seem to work.
You might need to go into settings and turn on developer options if it's Android. Then when you plug in the cable a notification will say how it's connected. I believe if you click on that notification it will tell you it can be changed from charging mode to file transfer or something like that.

I'm finally going full-on domestic homeowner dude - got myself a kick-ass new grill that I can't wait to try out this weekend. I delayed Father's Day till this weekend so I could treat my dad to some steaks on the new toy.

Behold...the PK grill!
_SR_5475__47182.1496352896.1280__26627.1511978949.1280.1280.png
I know it looks really basic, but that's the point. This company has been making these cast aluminum grills since the 50's, and guess what? Many of them are still in use - aluminum doesn't rust. It's just very well-constructed and designed to do its job really well without any frills.

This one, the Classic, is the same one they've been putting out for decades, and serious pit bosses use them in competitions. Check out that mid-century modern design - like an Airstream. Makes me want to buy a bunch of Eames chairs for the patio.

I'm totally psyched to throw on a couple ribeyes rubbed in kosher salt and sear 'em up with grill marks and a nice pink center. Pop open a couple of IPAs - that's the way it's done, boys and girls!

I'm finally going full-on domestic homeowner dude - got myself a kick-ass new grill that I can't wait to try out this weekend. I delayed Father's Day till this weekend so I could treat my dad to some steaks on the new toy.

Behold...the PK grill!
_SR_5475__47182.1496352896.1280__26627.1511978949.1280.1280.png
I know it looks really basic, but that's the point. This company has been making these cast aluminum grills since the 50's, and guess what? Many of them are still in use - aluminum doesn't rust. It's just very well-constructed and designed to do its job really well without any frills.

This one, the Classic, is the same one they've been putting out for decades, and serious pit bosses use them in competitions. Check out that mid-century modern design - like an Airstream. Makes me want to buy a bunch of Eames chairs for the patio.

I'm totally psyched to throw on a couple ribeyes rubbed in kosher salt and sear 'em up with grill marks and a nice pink center. Pop open a couple of IPAs - that's the way it's done, boys and girls!
Finally got a Weber. Not as classic as what you're talking about but a big step up for the Bunch Family.

You might need to go into settings and turn on developer options if it's Android. Then when you plug in the cable a notification will say how it's connected. I believe if you click on that notification it will tell you it can be changed from charging mode to file transfer or something like that.
I can't find that option in "settings". But I'm a bit of a semi-luddite so I may be overlooking something - though on average I get by pretty well using what devices I deem necessary.

I can't find that option in "settings". But I'm a bit of a semi-luddite so I may be overlooking something - though on average I get by pretty well using what devices I deem necessary.
You might have to turn on developer options first. Do a web search for your OS version and it might give you a good answer.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back