Share 19th-century adventure art (not cowboys or steampunk)?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Shipyard Locked

How long do I have?
Reaction score
I'm scrounging for inspiration and direction. Anyone got some cool 19th-century* art lying around? Preferably images full of adventure and derring do but not cowboys and steampunk. Nothing wrong with those two, but they're already easy to come by. I'm thinking more... European.

* Either made in the 19th century or modern pieces depicting 19th-century settings.

I plucked the name of a 19th-century adventure writer out of the dim recesses, and did an image search on "Rider Haggard illustrated". That turned up stuff like this:

Thure_de_Thulstrup_-_H._Rider_Haggard_-_Maiwa%27s_Revenge_-_Fire%2C_you_scoundrels.jpg

and book covers that you might find useful.

Doing the same with Conan Doyle got this:

195.jpg

And with "Robert Louis Stevenson illustrated" I got a webpage including all the original illustrations to Treasure Island:

"Prisoner of Zenda illustrated" got richer pickings than "Anthony Hope illustrated", but the latter did give me this:

Unknown.jpeg

Last edited:
Do photographs of real-life adventure float your boat?

They do, but they are relatively easy to find. What I'm having trouble with is illustrations, action pieces created for classic or modern stories of the era, without steampunk or the wild west.

Look for Gustave Doré's illustrations of course. Edouard Riou as well.
I was about to say the same thing. Look up Doré’s paintings: they’re truly epic and inspiring (although seeing one in person, as I did last week, was a whole other experience in awe and wonder).

52DA529D-E0A6-4BB5-9B98-CD9AB70C8777.jpeg
This one in real life is incredible (sorry for the crappy jpeg, the real thing is astounding in contrast, mood and detail).

Are Australian bush rangers too much like cowboys? Here's Tom Roberts' Bailed Up!

1920px-Tom_Roberts_-_Bailed_up_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

There's an extensive genre of British battle paintings purporting to depict famous 19th-century actions in India and Africa. Most of them undistinguished muddles of figures and horses with no composition to speak of, but some are striking. Is that the sort of adventure you want?

Young Winston (Bradshaw).jpeg

Last edited:
Is that the sort of adventure you want?

Sure.

I've been resistant to post an example of "almost what I want" because I don't want to constrain or guide people's suggestions, but here's one. So things like this, but without cowboys and steampunk (and without the generic fantasy stuff, obviously):

y5i7fim.jpg

EDIT: Another "kind of like this but without the steampunk" example:

9CUms6w.jpg

I recommend going here, on the Forgotten Futures website and downloading the contents of the old CD-Rom. It has masses of stuff from the 19th and early 20th century, including loads of art - and of course a nice rpg, wordbooks and adventures

Forgive me, it's my bias toward the late 19th century affecting my perception.

No worries, I only managed to get about 9 pages in on my online archive of copyright free artworks:

It's slanted towards medieval/fairytale stuff, but there are over 4000 paintings, all labelled, so it's easy to right click on the names and quickly google the time the painting was made and the subject matter. You may find a lot more stuff that's closer to what you are looking for.

Cool idea for a thread! It reminds me of a game concept I've wanted to write up for many, many years but never quite got around to: my working title is 'World War 0', and it focuses on espionage, duels, exploration and battle in the napoleonic wars.

John_Frederick_Lewis_-_A_Frank_Encampment_in_the_Desert_of_Mount_Sinai._1842_-_The_Convent_of_St._Catherine_in_the_Distance_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

A Frank Encampment in the Desert of Mount Sinai – 1842 – The Convent of St. Catherine in the Distance, by John Fredrick Lewis.

There are a lot of orientalist works out there, many of them from the period, and many also of 'adventure'.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back