Should Character Sheets Have That Space For Portraits

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Character Portrait on Character Sheets Yea or Nay

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think if there’s space for it, sure. But if it’s a choice of a portrait space or something else, I’m likely gonna go with something else. If removing it declutters the sheet, then I think that makes sense.

I want a character sheet that’s easy to reference above all else.

Depends on how busy the rest of the character sheet is. If it’s got a lot of stuff squeezed in I’d rather get rid of it to allow for better spacing of everything else. Usually if I attempt to sketch my character it’s on another sheet of paper anyway and I’ll use that space for notes or something.

I voted for nay, but it's more of a "No, but." Sheets with three attributes and a trait? That leaves a ton of space for a portrait. Games for children? They love drawing and showing off their characters. On the other hand, while I look back to GURPS 3E's outlines with fondness, I can't deny that are way more important things to spend all that front-and-center page space.
GURPS is a good example of a character sheet I quickly tweaked due to the wasted space in the center when I often needed more room for "things", things being mechanics notes, inventory, history whatever.

So we'd at first take that sheet and photocopy with a blank sheet over the silhouette, and then take a ruler and pen and put horizontal lines through that now fresh clear area and make more room for information.

Of course later we totally did a new version of character sheets that my friend renamed JURPS for Jim's Universal Roleplaying Show. Caustic bastard was always giving me a hard time as GM. Really good character sheets though despite his sense of humor. lol

It wasn't until recently with DCC rpg that I started putting pictures in the character portrait area.

Waste of space for me. If I want pics of characters then they are separate, so they aren't limited by a shitty little square or rectangular box on a sheet, and therefore produce better results. And you can also, with a separate pic, hold them up and pass them around - rather than show all your stats, stuff about your character, etc.

Last edited:
I really miss having an artist in the group. I had a roommate who would play with us and she was a compulsive artist. She would be actively drawing while playing, so everyone got a character portrait and cool scenes would be memorialized.

that was me as a player

I don't recall any player ever making serious use of a such a space in any of my games. A few probably doodled some stick figures. However, I suspect enough people outside my groups use them to justify including them.

That said, completely aside from any discussion of portrait spaces, I find the majority of official character sheets for every game I've ever played to be just barely good enough at best, and mostly they're pretty crap.

These days, I make a gsheet character sheet for every game I run, tailored to what I know we will actually need, including any houserules in action, auto-calculating as much as possible. I do not include a portrait space, but players are welcome to insert images anywhere they want.

To me, this is kind of a 3rd page sort of thing. If the character sheet has a third page, that's a great place to have the portrait box.
If there's to be a portrait box on a multi-page sheet, I'd put it on the front, along with all the character description stuff that isn't mechanics heavy. Then have all the mechanics stuff on later pages.

Last time I designed a custom character sheet from scratch was some time in the 90s, for a AD&D2 game that used a lot of the 'Payer's Option' material and a bunch of house rules. Page one was a summary (Class, level, stats), plus description and a spot for the character portraits that one of the players did for us. Page two was back story and notes/diary (which for some players rolled over to pages 3&4), then there was a full write-up of the character's game stats. Then equipment (which started out small, but ended up huge, as my players of the time loved to accumulate stuff. Finally, the last page, which was a combat summary - AC, HP, saves, etc. with plenty of room for damage, etc. to be noted down, crossed out, etc. In play most of the time only the last page needed to be handy.

It's nice to have white space on an otherwise cluttered character sheet. I'm all in for portraits (and I can draw a little bit), but most character sheets are crap.

I like 'em, but I don't use 'em or consider them obligatory.

These days, I make a gsheet character sheet for every game I run, tailored to what I know we will actually need, including any houserules in action, auto-calculating as much as possible. I do not include a portrait space, but players are welcome to insert images anywhere they want.
I use Google docs for all my sheets now. Both the GM and player always have instant access to the sheet, which is great when the GM needs to make a secret roll or look at someone's character between sessions. It's not going to get lost between sessions. If a player isn't entirely happy with the sheet, they can easily move things around. I use the pageless setting, so the sheets are infinite. There is plenty of room for a player to copy in the full rules for all their special abilities. And most relevant to this thread, it's easy to paste in a character portrait.

I voted "Nay" because I only ever use them for Superhero RPG's. Outside of that I don't think it has ever been a feature I cared for and it takes up space.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back