Solo Wargames

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

zarion

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
So far I have played several of the COIN series by GMT solo, as well as Where There Is Discord: War in the South Atlantic. Anyone have any suggestions as to the next solo wargame I should try?

Comanchería, Navajo Wars and the D-Day series would be my recommendations. Have a good look at the various reviews on boardgamegeeks to see which particular D-Day game would take your interest as they have quite different scenarios. The average opinion is that Omaha beach is probably the best to get first, with which I'd agree.

What era are you interested in? If you like WW2, then the D-Day series Séadna Séadna mentioned are great. Also, take a look at B17 Queen of the Skies, and Silent Victory: US Submarines in the Pacific, 1941-1945. Another good one is The Hunters: German U-Boats at war, 1939-45.
The old Panzer Leader and Panzerblitz games are also quite good being played solo. If you really want to stretch it, you can also try ASL.

What era are you interested in? If you like WW2, then the D-Day series Séadna Séadna mentioned are great. Also, take a look at B17 Queen of the Skies, and Silent Victory: US Submarines in the Pacific, 1941-1945. Another good one is The Hunters: German U-Boats at war, 1939-45.
The old Panzer Leader and Panzerblitz games are also quite good being played solo. If you really want to stretch it, you can also try ASL.

Hunters has tempted me.

I recently bought two solo wargames. After playing two missions of Target for Today, I am very disappointed. The concept is great (you command a WWII bomber) but I found flipping through multiple books of tables and rolling for every little detail to be tedious. Record keeping is required on at least four different log sheets. There are practically no important decisions to be made, you basically just roll dice to determine your fate.

The other solo wargame I got is Fleet Commander Nimitz by Dan Verssen Games. This looks very promising but I have not yet played it.

Thank you for the suggestions, the D-Day series is EXACTLY what I am looking for!

Another good WW2 solo wargame is RAF. You command the RAF during the battle of Britain and the game controls the Luftwaffe. Each day is a separate turn of deciding which squadrons are active, or recovering and how early to intercept the raids.

So far I have played several of the COIN series by GMT solo,
I don't have any suggestions but I had a great time solo-ing Fire in the Lake, the game really works well as a CIA Analyst-level overview of the war in such a removed manner. Evokes the theme and setting in a great way, tied to the mechanics.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back