Star Trek random thoughts

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Watched the "musical" episode of SNW last night. Enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. :grin:

Anyone know anything about these "Star Trek Adventures Captain's Log Solo" books that I see popping up for pre-order today?

Looking at descriptions, I'm getting the impression they're like the Rules Digest version of the 2d20 rulebook but with a section added about solo play? And also themed to either TNG, TOS, DS9, or STD depending on which variant you get.

Excellent, but is there an image of the STAnimated Series cast in the Lower Decks style?

A quick search didn't turn up much surprisingly although I'm sure there has to be some in fan art circles.

3b71f2aa4905bc4035e69f694e0f97d0.jpg

I did find this, apparently there was a DS9 crossover?

Screen-Shot-2022-09-29-at-12.27.45-PM.png

I thought this was cute.

017d5b85342ba546cc02b195f8f55016.jpg

This all intrigues me enough to watch some LD.

This clearly borrowed from Buffy's "Once More, With Feeling" but the difference is that everyone in the SNW cast can actually sing.

JG
If the singing is an in-universe effect caused by a malevolent demon alien I may have to break something.

If the singing is an in-universe effect caused by a malevolent demon alien I may have to break something.

No, there's another explanation, it's nonsense of course but the episode is quite fun. The music isn't bad either.

I think it would be funny if a translator malfunction briefly caused everyone to sound like they were performing Klingon opera.

I really liked how when they referred to Kirk and Spock in Lower Decks they used the old TAS artwork to show them:

lds-110-eggs-tas.jpg

The board game we got turned out to be a bit too complex for friends we invited over to dive in and play. :grin: (Star Trek boardgame, with like the... various race expansions, like Borg and Ferrengi etc) - seemed like a cool idea but also daunting over margaritas and a complete lack of complicated boardgame knowledge.

For those of you that have not purchased the sound track or watched the episode....

The only reason Klingons ever got cloaks was because as originally written the enemies in Star Trek III were going to be Romulans.

The Bird of Prey was designed by ILM as a Romulan ship.

Then it was changed to Klingons for recognizability and there was a whole intro to the movie with Kruge and co stealing the Romulan Bird of Prey.

Then all that was cut, and it was just Kruge on a Romulan Bird of Prey.

Then even that got cut and it became a Klingon Bird of Prey.

The whole Romulan ship thing ultimately got cut because the powers that be thought it was just too much for anyone to keep track of, and, after all, who would care and what difference would it make?

So now we have 40 years of Klingons with cloaking devices. And all sorts of scale madness with that Bird of Prey model. Things just got worse from there.

So... Everything I said above there was true to the best of my knowledge.

But today I was watching the TAS episode Time Trap. The Enterprise fires phasers at the Klothos which then winks out of existence. Spock explains what we have just witnessed confirming that the Klothos's shields did stop the phaser fire, the Klothos was not destroyed by the shot, and "the Klingons did not have time to activate their cloaking device."

There is no use of a cloaking device in the episode, but Spock is pretty much always a reliable narrator. So, in late TOS era, Spock is almost flat out saying that Klingons have cloaking devices and they are actively in use on D-7s.

Which I suppose makes sense considering the Romulans are using them on Stormbirds.

Does discussion onTuvix violate the pub No Politics prime directive?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back