Terra Primate Is The Best Eden Studios Game

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Joseph Wolz

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Terra Primate is the best Eden Studios game. Period. I am objectively correct in this.

I am severely disappointed that you all did not support the line enough to get a single supplement, which would have been the capstone to the greatest of their games.

I will die mad about this.

I know exactly what I would want the supplement to be named, but I can't say it.
Rule 0, banning and accusations of crimes against humanity would follow in short order.
Use your imaginations, ya damn dirty apes.

But you can have my backup title:
Dr. StrangeHoot, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Learned to Love My Hand Stuck in this Coconut

If ever I was to visit a parallel dimension chosen strictly for alternate RPG development, it would be the one where all the AFMBE supplements were for Terra Primate instead.

If ever I was to visit a parallel dimension chosen strictly for alternate RPG development, it would be the one where all the AFMBE supplements were for Terra Primate instead.
That is because you are a genuinely good person with excellent karma. I salute the wisdom you’ve gained that will help you leave the wheel of time.

Ok let's get this fight started.

Down with this sort of thing!

careful-now-this-sort-of-thing.gif

careful now.

Ok let's get this fight started.

Down with this sort of thing!

View attachment 49952

careful now.
But just imagine the supplements. They could have done Terror Primate. The possibilities for monkey horror are endless! There's "The Murders in the Rue Morgue", Monkey Shines, Sumatran rat monkeys, that monkey with the cymbals from that Stephen King story

I don't even know what game this is. That said, given my personal predilections, if someone wants to fight about, I'm game. :grin:
I shall share with you the Good News! It is a generic-ish game about ape worlds. It can cover any version of Planet of the Apes, as well as Ape Men from pulp stories, or stories like Michael Crichton’s Congo (what a call from grace on that guy…but separate topic). Essentially it follows it’s much more successful sibling game: All Flesh Must Be Eaten in being a mostly generic game with a tight focus (I expressed that poorly, but hopefully you get the gist).

Eden Studios, in those two games, sort of did a neat trick to helping folks understand how generic games are supposed to work: take the basics engine and add genre emulating stuff.

It is a great game and I ran an excellent, successful campaign of it once upon a time.

The game is still available as a PDF, and an absolute BARGAIN for $5.

Eden studios no longer has a working store, but print copies are available and inexpensive on second hand markets. Under cover price for sure. Amazon has them for cover price in the US last I checked.

I am not being facetious in my love for this absolutely delightful game, but forgive me zeal and histrionics.

Is this an inexpensive way to get a hardcopy of All Flesh Must Be Eaten rules?
Kind of. The ape creation rules aren’t exactly the same, and there are some differences in rules add-ons. The core rules and character creation rules are the same, and they’re all 100% compatible.

Michael Crichton, a man who managed to spin an entire career out of "you know, I don't really like theme parks very much".
You think with his money he could skip the lines. Then they're much more enjoyable.

Terra Primate is the best Eden Studios game. Period. I am objectively correct in this.

I am severely disappointed that you all did not support the line enough to get a single supplement, which would have been the capstone to the greatest of their games.

I will die mad about this.
Never heard of it.

Way I reckon it, if they didn’t get my attention, that’s their fault, not mine.

Fite me.

:tongue:

one year for christmas I bought everyone in my game group copies of the Terra Primate RPG as a christmas gift. I don't think anyone read the book other than to look at the pictures. I know one guy liked the LotR 2 statues as apes, but otherwise...

which is a shame, because they had all been complaining about wanting a new system to try out, and this one had a good set, and psi powers for magic, which is not a typical supernatural power set in games.

There is the fan supplement Serpents & Simians, which outs TP into Sword & Sorcery territory.

At one point, I was writing Shaolin Monkey vs the Evil Dead, a TP/AFMBE/EtZ mashup, but lost most of my work when a laptop died on me and my backup files somehow got corrupted. I also had an idea for a sci-fi setting called Grunts!, but never did more than write some basic notes about it

I remember a mixed campaign of Pulp Zombie & Terra Primate, with nazis, the Hollow Earth, dinosaurs and of course zombie-apes. That one also loosely started like LtTF, with a ship caught in a maelstrom. Unfortunately my younger inner edgelord stormed a bit of the Pulpy Path, into full Revisionism Country, so that campaign dried up pretty quick.

Last edited:
I had an experimental medicine turn apes intelligent and humans into zombies. Players were the apes, unintentionally getting uplifted and escaping from the zombie-infested lab.

My favorite ape-related RPG memory comes from one the few times I ran a superhero game. There was a player that had a Captain America-style PC, and I had to come up with an version of him from an alternate ape dimension. I came up with the the name, The Primatriot.

My favorite ape-related RPG memory comes from one the few times I ran a superhero game. There was a player that had a Captain America-style PC, and I had to come up with an version of him from an alternate ape dimension. I came up with the the name, The Primatriot.
I created one who is a Wonder Woman pastiche named American Ape, complete with wrestling gear and bracers. He seemed popular to play in the one shots I used him and his team mates in

…So it’s a game about monkeys?
There used to a tv documentary series called "Monkey Bandits"

It was about the different troupes of monkeys in an Indian city. The top troupe lived in the temple at the top of the hill where monkeys were sacred and everyone got free food. All the monkeys wanted to take that place for their own troupe.

The rest lived by thieving, stealing food from the markets, breaking into home offices and smashing open keyboards to see if they're was food inside, stealing handbags and then jumping on roofs and only returning them in exchange for bananas etc.

And then there was the monkey catcher in his van who would catch a monkey and then drive them far out into the country and release them somewhere where they couldn't find their way home.

I always thought this should be a rpg. You start off trying to make a living and stay one step ahead of the monkey catcher, with the ultimate goal being to storm the temple at the top of the hill and live like kings, lazing around for the rest of your life.

Last edited:
I loved playing the planet of the apes scenarios in Plague Inc. I would've love to play a few adventures in a similar vein.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back