The PUB Circle : collaborative design and craftsmanship at the PUB

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Urdlen's best boy

Deep Crawler
Reaction score
Credit to Rob Necronomicon Rob Necronomicon for the idea!

The name says it all. In this thread we make and discuss offers to collab with other PUBers.

Some suggestions about what we do in this thread :
-Post your creative profile (skills & interests) and what sort of things you'd offer to a collab
-Post your project for which you'd want substantial contribution from other people, and tell us what you'd need
-Contact and discuss with other PUBers for collab work

Once the project starts it should probably go in a dedicated thread, I imagine.
Discuss!

I'll make first post :

I am UBB creator of the Cradle of Gods world and system (which I will finish in 125+/- 7 years).

But I'm not sure it's in need of/ready to receive contribution so I'd like to instead propose my skills for other projects :

Preferred scope : limited contributions
Interests : fantasy, sci-fantasy, horror
Skills : writing, worldbuilding, illustration (traditional drawing, painting) and edition software

I'm always up for a collab and prefer working with others rather than flying solo, but I do have some conditions:

1. If you're undertaking a large project without prior experience, I'm probably not interested (try something smaller).
2. You need to know the scope of your project and what you want to achieve E.g. Estimated length of time, whether it's an actual product that will go on sale or just a free giveaway.
3. You're going to do your part and not just be a Wanabee project manager with a cool idea!
4. If you're trying to do a mash-up of 3 or more genres I'm probably not interested (but you can try to convince me).
5. What do I get out of it? A free PDF, A hardcopy, Royalties, Fuck All... Just don't say exposure!

That aside:

Preferred scope: Usually whatever it takes
Interests: fantasy, sci-fantasy, sci-fi, fantasy horror, sci-fi horror
Skills : (in order of experience and actual skill) writing (adventures & worldbuilding), maps (overland, dungeon, spaceship), basic readthrough and editing, layout (basic 2 columns layout in Affinity Publisher). I've no real art skills but I can produce a decent hand-drawn dungeon.

Last edited:
Ha, we should call this the pub darts team. Design of Average RPGs Team.

Like every other forever DM I do a bit of everything not limited to farting about on Incarnate and Dungeon Draft.

Thinking out loud of something that would be incredibly beneficial for DMs is an easy access town setting with believable NPCs with understables relationships goals and ambitions in a setting with shops, streetnames and a history that is the effectively ambiguous enough that it could be utilised as part of a ten minute session prep or in the construction of something altogether larger. It would work within the collaborative process as it's easily compartmentalised for working in groups.

Last edited:
Hi, I have about 120 products out there, counting both DriveThruRpg and DMsGuild. about 70 of them are bestsellers, including handful Electrum Bestsellers (translated, 85% of products sell less than them). all the stuff has been written and layouted by me.
fields in which I have at least one bestseller: Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Ravnica, Theros, Ravenloft, Glorantha, Call of Cthulhu, Chaosium Basic Roleplaying, Scarred Lands, Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos.

I can offer limited support in writing and design, feel free to inquiry if needed.

Skills: Proofreading, statistics
Nice! Useful ones.

My skills: Can sketch some, if you want me to try but hire a REAL artist to do more than a sketch. I write, and I can proofread other people's works but I'm not good at my own. I've been complimented on system design for both of my games, and am generally good at system creation if you understand I will focus on actual play and not what looks best on paper first.

I weirdly enjoy writing quick & dirty simulations & calculators as stand alone web pages. I can get (or produce a how to if there's interest) Adobe Acrobat to use autocalculating fields to make dice rollers and random generators. I've implemented several game content creation subsystems in web page format (vehicle builder, spaceship builder, Warp travel trip, etc.) and included random generation or probability calculation with some.

I have an in progress world building exercise anyone is welcome to play in, although it needs updating to the most current status. There's a thread in the design forum that I'll update. Its fairly gonzo being based on Dungeons the Dragoning 40k 7e, an unholy spawn of mashup systems and settings.

Time permitting I'm happy to collaborate on various stuff.

Illustration:
  1. Vectors
  2. Concepts
  3. Animation
  4. Iconography
  5. Storyboarding
Sound:
  1. SFX
  2. Post-Production
  3. Editing
  4. Repair/Restoration
  5. Music (But limited to dark electronic stuff or guitar hardcore punk).
Concepts (RPG):
  1. Ideas
  2. Writing
  3. World Building
  4. Adventure Design
Interests in collabs for (but open to ideas):
  • Writing game concepts and scenarios, etc. Especially for
  • Illustrating creatures, etc.
  • World Building
    • Dark games
    • Low Fantasy
    • Horror
    • or Weird
  • Anything to do with the FASERIP system.
  • Anything to do with sound and SFX.
  • Audio Dramas, video games, or film SFX and post-production.

Thinking out loud of something that would be incredibly beneficial for DMs is an easy access town setting with believable NPCs with understables relationships goals and ambitions in a setting with shops, streetnames and a history that is the effectively ambiguous enough that it could be utilised as part of a ten minute session prep or in the construction of something altogether larger. It would work within the collaborative process as it's easily compartmentalised for working in groups.
Sounds like my kind of project. Want to start a separate thread for it?

My skills that are relevant to RPG development are graphic design (infographics, icons, etc.) and layout. I’m a professional with the entire Adobe Design suite, including video editing.

While I am also a writer, I generally prefer to write for my own projects, so it would have to be something I’m really interested in.

I’ve also been a professional editor, both structural and content. Not really interested in proofreading.

Oh, and I can also do quite good maps with either Campaign Cartographer or Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, depending on the desired look.

As I already have a successful career, I don’t care about getting paid. If the project looks cool, I’m happy to lend my expertise in return for a PDF copy of the final product, as long as working on it doesn’t conflict with my own personal projects.

I weirdly enjoy writing quick & dirty simulations & calculators as stand alone web pages. I can get (or produce a how to if there's interest) Adobe Acrobat to use autocalculating fields to make dice rollers and random generators. I've implemented several game content creation subsystems in web page format (vehicle builder, spaceship builder, Warp travel trip, etc.) and included random generation or probability calculation with some.
I'd be very interested in any tutos for writing simulators/calculators utilities.

Further down the line (some of the systems are still not developped) I'd like to have at least a utility character sheet generator/manager for my game when I release it

My skills that are relevant to RPG development are graphic design (infographics, icons, etc.) and layout. I’m a professional with the entire Adobe Design suite, including video editing.

While I am also a writer, I generally prefer to write for my own projects, so it would have to be something I’m really interested in.

I’ve also been a professional editor, both structural and content. Not really interested in proofreading.

Oh, and I can also do quite good maps with either Campaign Cartographer or Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, depending on the desired look.

As I already have a successful career, I don’t care about getting paid. If the project looks cool, I’m happy to lend my expertise in return for a PDF copy of the final product, as long as working on it doesn’t conflict with my own personal projects.

Yeah, I'd echo this sentiment too. I've got my day job as well so this isn't about making money for me. It's just about making something cool that I'd want to work on or people I'd want to work with.

It'd be great if we could keep this section for collabs, then, and if people are offering professional services they could pop that in the freelancing section or summat'. Just so people don't get mixed up. :smile:

I'd be very interested in any tutos for writing simulators/calculators utilities.

Further down the line (some of the systems are still not developped) I'd like to have at least a utility character sheet generator/manager for my game when I release it
Really its just about the most basic coding, bare bones html, and a loop that does some rolls and puts the results into an array. I have a working (well, malfunctioning but it needs simplification anyways) demo/tutorial template kaying around. I could clean that up for you.

Really its just about the most basic coding, bare bones html, and a loop that does some rolls and puts the results into an array. I have a working (well, malfunctioning but it needs simplification anyways) demo/tutorial template kaying around. I could clean that up for you.
My coding skills are very limited so that would be very much appreciated!

I've read your design thread and have determined this is the coolest thing I can offer in exchange : I propose writing a hidden solar system (1-2 pages A4 of text) for your setting centered around a blood sun with evil gnomes living on a meat planet to mine ichor from its guts. Included : small illustration of the sun and planets as well as a gnome exhibiting TYPICAL ICHOR EXPOSURE MEAT GROWTHS.

Let me know if you'd rather like something else.

My coding skills are very limited so that would be very much appreciated!

I've read your design thread and have determined this is the coolest thing I can offer in exchange : I propose writing a hidden solar system (1-2 pages A4 of text) for your setting centered around a blood sun with evil gnomes living on a meat planet to mine ichor from its guts. Included : small illustration of the sun and planets as well as a gnome exhibiting TYPICAL ICHOR EXPOSURE MEAT GROWTHS.

Let me know if you'd rather like something else.
I love it! The document is (eventually) meant to represent something like an in-universe travel wiki. For two reasons; first it makes stealing researchong stuff off other wikis easier, second it lets me lie & hint & tell the players their ship has a copy.

Edit: and after hitting the cool pics thread I need to add a kaiju with tactical gear and a big gun somewhere. That happens. Find a good pic and add something to justify it.

Edit 2: in before the cut off. Attaching a template html file for quick & dirty simulations. Rename it from .txt to .html to have your browser run it. Also a google docs link here

Attachments

• template.txt
    18.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
My day job consumes a lot of my time so couldn't offer any proofreading or writing help, but is something do professionally every day.

Can offer help in statistics and "reality checks" with respect to science, was a research scientist for many years...

I do have projects of my own could use help on someday once get more time (mostly coding of a interactive character sheet, art, and eventually layout if ever get to where want to release what I have into the wild).

Yeah, I'd echo this sentiment too. I've got my day job as well so this isn't about making money for me. It's just about making something cool that I'd want to work on or people I'd want to work with.

It'd be great if we could keep this section for collabs, then, and if people are offering professional services they could pop that in the freelancing section or summat'. Just so people don't get mixed up. :smile:
Does the Pub have a freelancing/work for hire/looking for professional X thread somewhere?

Does the Pub have a freelancing/work for hire/looking for professional X thread somewhere?
Not that I know off, but feel free to launch one and ask for sticky. That could be a good idea if the mods agree, though I would advise asking for a no drift so it's only offers à la newspaper small ad "X looking for Y paying Z", "X doing Y for a rate of Z/hour".

Also IMO pros will be suspicious of getting lowballed vs their pro interface on their own websites or whatever, so I would adress that in 1st post - "don't try to haggle down prices of the pros here in the PMs, it's annoying and pointless".

So, I think this is the place I look for. I am currently working on Abyssal, my second RPG project that includes world building and rules. The first one I did was during times you were lucky to have internet access. ;) It has grown quite a bit since I started and is now at a point where somebody else has to look at it. It is an SCIFI-horror game inspired by Aliens, The Void and Shadowrun. What I am looking for is not proofreading or editing, just impressions and suggestions from reading. I can give the same in return. So, looking forward to anything. I got this thing as one big PDF. Free for the taking on Drivethru so it is always up-to-date. I don´t know if this is the best of ideas, but it is just like that.
Abyssal - Alpha

I write and ideate a lot. Dabbling with art compositing at the moment.

~wouldn't mind the idea of collaborating on projects - I have a couple on the go.
I wouldn't mind a collab either at some point! :smile:

I wouldn't mind a collab either at some point! :smile:

We do a bit of hacking stuff on our Discord (which isn't to everyones taste, obviously). And I've done some shared Docs and Whiteboards. We are also launching a chat called "Ideating Games" where people can harvest my ripe, pulsing imagination live....

I'd be actively looking for collabs. I did think there was an opportunity if an artist had stuff they couldn't use....or monetise....I'd write a world around it, and earn us both beer money

We do a bit of hacking stuff on our Discord (which isn't to everyones taste, obviously). And I've done some shared Docs and Whiteboards. We are also launching a chat called "Ideating Games" where people can harvest my ripe, pulsing imagination live....

I'd be actively looking for collabs. I did think there was an opportunity if an artist had stuff they couldn't use....or monetise....I'd write a world around it, and earn us both beer money
That sounds cool, mate.

I guess the question is … does anyone have any projects?

I mean, I post one a month or so.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back