The Tulip Academy's Society for Dangerous Gentlemen

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

jdrakeh

Keeper of Tazmodeous, Hound of Heck
Reaction score
Ok, so I just got a copy of The Tulip Academy's Society for Dangerous Gentlemen recently and am completely smitten. It's more of a cooperative, GM-less, storytelling game than a traditional RPG, but the basic structure of the game lends itself to soooooooo many possibilities.

It uses a series of playing card draws to determine the elements of the narrative, kind of like the Oracles of In a Wicked Age (another really fun storytelling game). It occurred to me that, like the Oracles, the lists of narrative elements can be re-written quite easily to represent different settings and themes.

The main thing is that the stories are largely set in a confined space (the Academy) by default and focus on, in the default rules, members of a defined organization (the Society). I mentioned in another thread that these tropes can be easily subverted to play something like a Hogwarts game.

I'm planning to tinker a bit different lists of narrative elements for different settings. I'll probably start with some basic fantasy stuff. I'm thinking of something loosely based on the Castle Perilous novels.

So, I'm pretty jazzed. Also, because I now have a GREAT use for this amazing curio box I bought awhile back and because I had an excuse to buy some fancy playing cards (see attached pictures).

Attachments

• IMG_20180723_230654954.jpg
    IMG_20180723_230654954.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 15
  • _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Cards.jpg
    Cards.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 13
that IS a very nice box and card set!

that IS a very nice box and card set!

Thanks!

The box is from Archie McPhee and only set me back $2, as The Yellow King (local game store) had a stack of them that were inherited from another store that went out of business.

The cards are from eBay (there are a lot of sellers offering them). They're waterproof plastic cards, so they'll stand up better to repeated use (and Cheetos fingers) than a standard pack of Bicycle cards. Also, they look really neat!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back