(travel abroad) US Quick Tour advice

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Vancouver's main thing (Vancouver BC) is outdoors stuff - Stanley Park, Grouse Mountain, Capilano Suspension Bridge (or the free version, Lynn Valley Park suspension bridge). Whether you want to visit depends on your interest in outdoor activity and the expected weather.

If you do make it to Vancouver, take a float plane over to Victoria for a day trip. The plane goes from downtown harbour to downtown harbour so it's easy to walk on / walk off and see the city, and the flight itself is beautiful - you fly low enough to get a great scenic view of all the smaller islands on the way. (Plus sometimes they'll even let you sit in the copilot seat!) Then do Tea at the Empress.

Best thing in Vancouver are the Chinese and Japanese restaurants.

I'd do the stereotypical Western America experience in Nevada. I mean you get big lights, crazy shows, big food, shoot big American gun, see real ghost towns, see vast radiated expanses, see real Native American reservations & trading posts, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Monument Valley, Sedona, etc. Outside of Las Vegas there is Laughlin further south as another Blue Collar Riviera with cheap hotels, jet skiing, river water sports, etc. Or there's Lake Tahoe with pricier hotels and snow skiing. Or Reno with cheap hotels and a good deal of state history, especially about Comstock Lode history. Also you get to see how BIG this space is while driving, and oooh will you drive. Nevada border to California are close to Yosemite, Mono Lake, Death Valley, White Mountain Nat. Park, Lake Tahoe, etc.

It's a fun explosion of sensory overload, contrasting good with bad, and stereotypical Big America BIG! that can be packed in a week or so and then return home tired. After that you can come back another time and nibble at the rest of America at leisure with your Western cinematic expectations sated.

And then I have to decide to either fly to Vancouver, San Francisco, make the 3-weeks car ride from SF via Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Monument Valley etc, Los Angeles and back to San Francisco via the coast road (or leave the car in LA and end the road trip after 16 days). And finish of with a few days in Chicago.

Or fly first from Winnipeg to Chicago for the Smokeout (and meet up with @ E E-Rocker ?), skip Vancouver but go straight to the California tour, and then return via New Orleans.
In the end I opted for Chicago, San Fancisco, the Classic West tour to L.A. and from there to New Orleans (skipping Vancouver and the California coast trip; and thus saving some time and money). I'm sure there is a lot more to see, but that will be for another time...

In the end I opted for Chicago, San Fancisco, the Classic West tour to L.A. and from there to New Orleans (skipping Vancouver and the California coast trip; and thus saving some time and money). I'm sure there is a lot more to see, but that will be for another time...

LA is a great town if you're a movie fan, Tarantino's New Beverly has excellent programming, as does the Academy museum.

If you have time I'd also recommend checking out Big Sur.

So, when we arrive in Toronto, there's this Baseball game between the Blue Jays and the NY Yankees. I suppose I could already buy a NY hat in advance at Newark.

But on the website I see
1714496160899.png

Do they play 4 days in a row? Or is Day 1 another league, Junior maybe, and the last day is the real team?
Or how does this work?
Also, from the cheap $45 seats, can you see anything, or is it worth trying to book a $100+ place? And for Baseball, where do you have the best view. Near the plate, on the sides, I suppose there's a reason why the far seats are much cheaper? Or the outer ring?

1714496780102.png
I have zero knowledge of baseball that didn't come from some Hollywood sports movie.

I love the small town feel of Toronto. Union Station (if we take the train from the airport) is across the street from our hotel, Rogers Sports Center is just a 10 min walk away. And after the match we can simply cross the plaza and have lunch at the CN Tower. Tiny.

Day 2 (Canada Day!) we've booked a Niagara tour but I hope we're back at the hotel for the fireworks.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!

All four games will be with the major league teams. To minimize having to travel after every single game (at that level of play, teams are averaging six games a week, for a total of 162 have over a six month stretch), teams will usually play a short series of games against each other - usually three, but sometimes two or four.

My personal preference is for seats not too far from either first or third base, but that's by no means a universally held opinion.

It's funny how Toronto feels a lot different than New York or LA but it's still the 4th largest city in North America.

We land at Pearson at 11h20, and the game begins at 13h30. Luggage, airport transfer, check-in in the hotel.. I think also drinking beer in between may be a bit of a challenge.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back