White Mountain Rescue (a CfB game)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Picaroon Jack

And the Brothers Slack
Reaction score
I've been working on White Mountain Rescue which is a Carved from Brindlewood game utilizing several mechanics from Brindlewood Bay and the Between.

Concept: WHITE MOUNTAIN RESCUE is a roleplaying game about a group of search and rescue professionals working for, or with, the US Forest Service. They have heard tales of strange occurrences in the White Mountain National Forest that straddles New Hampshire and Maine, but now they are finding themselves encountering more and more bizarre phenomena while deep in the forest on search and rescue missions. They soon realize that there is a malevolent supernatural force that connects all the accounts of missing people they try to locate and rescue. They will come to realize that another reality called the Mountains of Verdigris is bleeding into their own reality, and they will have to confront it to keep their neighboring communities safe. The game is directly inspired by the reddit blog “I'm a Search and Rescue Officer for the US Forest Service, I have some stories to tell” as well as the television shows, like North Woods Law and Justified, and the roleplaying game, Brindlewood Bay, by Jason Cordova.

Aim: The aim of the characters in this game is to try to rescue hikers and campers who are lost under mysterious circumstances and try to figure out what is happening in the White Mountain Forest. Our aim as players is to learn more about these wilderness first responders, as we explore the strange phenomena in the White Mountain National Forest.

Tone: The tone of this game goes from routine wilderness rescues to mysterious and creepy. It is mostly business as usual for these forest service professionals, but it will also get very dark and grim with some of the failed rescues that become recovery missions. Some light hearted humor is allowed, but typically the characters take their jobs very seriously since civilian lives are on the line.

Subject Matter: Gruesome deaths, unexplained disappearances, threats to animals and children, stalking, abduction, forest fires, drowning, dismemberment, and other intense, supernatural subject matter.

The Playbooks:

The Veteran is a seasoned team member who has worked for the National Forest Service for decades. They are close to retirement and plan on moving far away to Florida. Play the Veteran if you feel like you are getting too old for this bullshit and that the good old days were better than this sad state of affairs.

The Warden is a local celebrity who has the love of the people of the region. They are on loan from the game warden service and have actually written a book on search & rescue procedures. Play the Warden if you want to be a law enforcement official that is currently very popular with the folks of New England.

The Rookie is the newest member to the search & rescue team. They are straight out of the academy with all the latest training of the industry, and now they have landed their dream job. Play the Rookie if you want to be fresh eyed, lucky, and living the dream of working in the great outdoors.

The Ranger is a stoic law enforcement officer tasked with protecting the forest and all the folks and animals within its borders. They know every inch of the White Mountain Forest and are known for their resourcefulness as well as their toughness. Play the Ranger if you want to be a hero of legend that finds themselves in a modern park service career.

The Medic is a wilderness first responder (Woofer) with even more certificates and training to boot. They see the Forest Service as a stepping stone to a better position with the federal government. Play the Medic if you want to be a reactive team member who is carefree medical professional who'd rather be somewhere else.

The Volunteer is a wealthy benefactor to the Forest Service and includes volunteering in search & rescue endeavors in their philanthropic portfolio. The Forest Service could not turn down their added resources on top of not wanting to upset a wealthy donor. Play the Volunteer if you want to have the most expensive toys money can buy as well as an ulterior motive.

I have 4 Rescues written up and was able to playtest two of them at writer's retreat and they went swimmingly. I really liked how the players running the Veteran and the Rookie played off each other. The rescues are listed below and the bold ones are completed:

The Rescues: Terrain Phenomenon
  1. The Missing Child (forest) Tall, almost human figures
  2. The Lost Camper (forest) Random Stairs
  3. The Vanished Canoe Trip (river) Unnatural river encounters
  4. Forest Fire Rescue (inferno) Smoke tentacles
  5. The Mountain Climber (mountain) Shifting mountain
  6. The Trapped Spelunker (cave) Almost human cave dwellers
  7. The Disoriented Geocacher (snow) Ice hounds
  8. The HoneyMooners (hotel) Doppelgängers
  9. The Fallen Photographer (cliff) the Not-deer
  10. The Field Trip (lake) Doorways/portals

The climatic finish is where the team has to rescue someone from the alternate reality, the Mountains of Verdigris.

Here are a couple of separate play test one shots from this week. The first one is the Lost Camper and the second is the Missing Child:

I took a break but I am back at writing the Rescues and finishing up this game. Here is where I am at with the Rescues with the ones in bold having completed drafts:

The Rescues (Terrain) Phenomenon
  1. The Missing Child (forest) Tall, almost humans
  2. The Lost Camper (forest) Random stairs
  3. The Vanished Canoe Trip (river) Unnatural river encounters
  4. The Forest Fire Rescue (inferno) Smoke tentacles
  5. The Mountain Climber (mountain) Shifting mountain
  6. The Trapped Spelunker (cave) Almost human cave dwellers
  7. The Snowbound Geocacher (snow) Ice hounds
  8. The HoneyMooners (lake cabin) Doppelgängers
  9. The Fallen Photographer (cliff) the Not-deer
  10. The Crashed Chopper (forest) Other world hunter

The Trapped Spelunker is based on Ted the Caver, which is credited as being one of the first creepypastas. After those two, I need to beef up the Out of the Woods phase as well as the primary villain, the Mountains of Verdigris.

I just ran across these posts. First a nitpick as a long time employee of the US Forest Service and one time employee of the National Park Service.

Rangers are really more of a Park Service thing, the Forest Service has District Rangers which are basically "the boss" of a district (most National Forests are broken into 2-4 districts which are an administrative division), and as such are heavily administrative in nature, not really field going. USFS Law Enforcement are simply Law Enforcement Officers, or more commonly called L.E.O.'s. Really no such thing as a Forest Ranger with the agency. I'm a little confused by the Reddit blogger, as the USFS is for the most part simply an assist to Search and Rescue, responsibility for SAR belonging to the locals (usually the County Sheriff). I have never even heard of a USFS SAR Officer.
Not calling out the blogger, but I suspect that title is a collateral duty position, rather than their real job title and full time job.

The National Park Service has Park Rangers which typically have law enforcement powers. The Park Service often does have primary responsibility for Search and Rescue and fields SAR teams in many of the larger parks. YOSAR being one example in Yosemite National Park.

The USFS and National Park service are frequently used interchangeably, but they have quite distinct missions and history. The classic "Smokey Bear" hat is a National Park Service Uniform component, not USFS, although Smokey Bear himself is a USFS creation... The rare occasion you see the Smokey Bear hat on USFS employees is the dress uniform, primarily seen with the USFS color guard. Other than very high ranking (basically Washington Office level) employees and members of the color guard few employees actually own a dress uniform (or the hat). The hat is a field uniform component for NPS law enforcement Park Rangers.

Anyway, it is a pet peeve of mine.

And now for something more constructive. You may find the following books useful for your project.

Death, Daring and Disaster (Search and Rescue in the National Parks)

Off the Wall: Death in Yosemite

Over the Edge: Death in the Grand Canyon

I have all three of the above books, and they are well researched.

There is another writer who has taken up the theme Randi Minetor. I have not read any of her books, but she has added significantly to the range of geographical areas including having a book for Acadia National Park in Maine which is a little closer to your White Mountains.

Super cool idea for a game, I've struggled to figure out how to set up an RPG based around fire & rescue and keep it interesting. It is a subject very close to me since I have spent more than half my life being involved with it.

I just ran across these posts. First a nitpick as a long time employee of the US Forest Service and one time employee of the National Park Service.

Rangers are really more of a Park Service thing, the Forest Service has District Rangers which are basically "the boss" of a district (most National Forests are broken into 2-4 districts which are an administrative division), and as such are heavily administrative in nature, not really field going. USFS Law Enforcement are simply Law Enforcement Officers, or more commonly called L.E.O.'s. Really no such thing as a Forest Ranger with the agency. I'm a little confused by the Reddit blogger, as the USFS is for the most part simply an assist to Search and Rescue, responsibility for SAR belonging to the locals (usually the County Sheriff). I have never even heard of a USFS SAR Officer.
Not calling out the blogger, but I suspect that title is a collateral duty position, rather than their real job title and full time job.

The National Park Service has Park Rangers which typically have law enforcement powers. The Park Service often does have primary responsibility for Search and Rescue and fields SAR teams in many of the larger parks. YOSAR being one example in Yosemite National Park.

The USFS and National Park service are frequently used interchangeably, but they have quite distinct missions and history. The classic "Smokey Bear" hat is a National Park Service Uniform component, not USFS, although Smokey Bear himself is a USFS creation... The rare occasion you see the Smokey Bear hat on USFS employees is the dress uniform, primarily seen with the USFS color guard. Other than very high ranking (basically Washington Office level) employees and members of the color guard few employees actually own a dress uniform (or the hat). The hat is a field uniform component for NPS law enforcement Park Rangers.

Anyway, it is a pet peeve of mine.

And now for something more constructive. You may find the following books useful for your project.

Death, Daring and Disaster (Search and Rescue in the National Parks)

Off the Wall: Death in Yosemite

Over the Edge: Death in the Grand Canyon

I have all three of the above books, and they are well researched.

There is another writer who has taken up the theme Randi Minetor. I have not read any of her books, but she has added significantly to the range of geographical areas including having a book for Acadia National Park in Maine which is a little closer to your White Mountains.

Super cool idea for a game, I've struggled to figure out how to set up an RPG based around fire & rescue and keep it interesting. It is a subject very close to me since I have spent more than half my life being involved with it.
I appreciate the feedback! For the Ranger playbook, I'll put in their description that they are LEO. The "ranger" title is a play on the classic D&D Ranger but existing here in a modern occupation. It is all based on an anonymous blog + actual research, but I want to keep it in the realm of reality. . .and then dump boatloads of supernatural horror on the whole thing.

The play tests have gone really well, and I need to do a campaign play test this fall for sure.

I do have a lot of local sheriff's office present in most of the Rescues, but they are typically portrayed as handing it off to the SAR team. One playbook, the Warden, has a close relationship with a local Sheriff's office and in that case their presence is definitely boosted. I do have a note that this is all fiction based on the reddit blog.

Thanks for taking a look!

Last edited:
Here is what I've changed the Ranger's intro to:

Introduction: You are a Law Enforcement Officer (L.E.O.) for the US Forest Service, and in addition to protecting visitors and wildlife, you also are tasked with enforcing laws and forest regulations. Either by land, water, or air, you have been over every single inch of the White Mountain National Forest and you know it well. Your expertise and experience with the White Mountains landed you a key spot on the Search & Rescue team. In recent years you’ve seen strange things out in the wilderness and thought you might be losing your mind, but on this team you now have other eyes and ears to help confirm the oddness.

Having grown up in New England, when you finish this game, I'm going to have to purchase it... This just sounds cool. I'm not sure I'd actually run it because I'm realizing modern era RPGs just aren't my cup of tea, but the ideas you are presenting are just so cool.

Having grown up in New England, when you finish this game, I'm going to have to purchase it... This just sounds cool. I'm not sure I'd actually run it because I'm realizing modern era RPGs just aren't my cup of tea, but the ideas you are presenting are just so cool.
Thanks! This is definitely based on the next generation of PbtA games. I've been gaming for 40+ years and I've just ended up here. This style of game is very episodic and TV series like to me. More like they are emulating a TV series versus whatever the genre actually is.

I do work with the Warden Service here in Maine and sometimes the Sheriff's office for this county, and I've worked with the Wardens and the Wildlife Fisheries folks to design conservation law curriculum, but this is definitely not my field.

This would be super cool. I'd love to see some game procedures that make things like this interesting procedures justifying more than a few die rolls to resolve.

I'd love to see some game procedures that make things like this interesting procedures justifying more than a few die rolls to resolve.
Each Rescue has a Question with a difficulty number (typically 2 to 8) and players need that many clues to be able to answer the question. The questions are like "What odd place in the wilderness is the missing hiker?" or "Is the missing journalist dead or alive?" The players find clues by performing the Search move described below or through one of their moves.

Here is a draft of the current PbtA moves + the phases the game is divided up in:

THE MOVES

THE RISKY MOVE

When you try to do something that is risky or you face something that you fear, explain what you are afraid will happen if you fail or lose your nerve, then roll with an appropriate ability.
  • On a 12+, you do what you intended or you hold steady, and the Keeper will tell you some extra benefit or advantage you receive. Describe what it looks like.
  • On a 10-11, you do what you intended or you hold steady; describe what it looks like.
  • On a 7-9, the Keeper will tell you how your actions would leave you vulnerable, and you can choose to back down or go through with it. If you go through with it, the Keeper describes what it looks like.
  • On a 6 or less, the Keeper will explain what condition or complication results from this roll.

THE DANGEROUS MOVE
When you do something innately dangerous or you risk total ruin, face something you fear, explain what you are afraid will happen if you fail or lose your nerve. The Keeper will tell you how it is worse than you fear. You can choose to back down or go through with it.
If you decide to go through with it, roll with an appropriate ability.
  • On a 12+, you do what you intended or you hold steady, and the Keeper will tell you some extra benefit or advantage you receive. Describe what it looks like.
  • On a 10-11, you do what you intended or you hold steady; describe what it looks like.
  • On a 7-9, you do it or hold steady, but there is a complication or cost; the Keeper describes what it looks like.
  • On a 6 or less, your worst fears (and more) are realized.

THE SEARCH MOVE
When you search for a clue or are generally gathering information, describe how you’re doing so and roll with an appropriate ability.
  • On a 12+, you find a Clue. The Keeper will tell you what it is, you also find a Mountain Clue.
  • On a 10-11, you find a Clue. The Keeper will tell you what it is.
  • On a 7-9, there’s a complication—either with the Clue itself, or a complication you encounter while searching. The Keeper will tell you what the complication is.
  • On a 6 or less, there’s a complication you encounter while searching. The Keeper will tell you what the complication is.

THE RESCUE MOVE
When the team has an open, freewheeling discussion about the answer to a Rescue Question once they have gathered a number of Clues equal to at least half the Question’ Complexity roll plus the number of Clues incorporated into the answer or otherwise explained away, minus the Question’s Complexity.
  • On a 12+, the answer is correct and the Mountain will reveal themselves while the team is pursuing the Opportunity.
  • On a 10+, the answer is correct and an Opportunity can be pursued.
  • On a 7-9, as above, but the Keeper will add an unwelcome complication to the answer and/or pursuing the Opportunity will be more dangerous.
  • On a 6-, the answer is incorrect and the Keeper reacts.

Note: The Answer a Question roll can never be taken with advantage or disadvantage. The success tier can be increased by using a Crown, but only if every team member does so.

THE VULNERABLE MOVE
When you have an intimate moment with another team member while one of you is engaged in your Stress Reliever once you are Out of the Woods, you may clear an appropriate Condition. If it’s your Stress Reliever, you can also:
  • Stumble on a Clue for the next Rescue. After the Keeper has introduced the new Rescue, tell the Keeper what the Clue is as a flashback to the Vulnerable scene. The Clue cannot conclusively answer a Question by itself, OR
  • Invite the other team member to ask you about your past; you must answer it truthfully but not necessarily completely.

THE RATIONALIZATION MOVE
After you complete a Rescue that was directly related to the supernatural, the group explains how your supervisor, (National Forest Supervisor, David Umbargo) tries to convince you that the whole thing can be easily explained. Work out the details as a group, and then the team member with the highest Reason rolls with Reason.
  • On a 10+, the fabric of reality strengthens, and the weirdness encountered does not appear in future threats/rescues for the rest of the game. Players may clear one condition related to the Rescue.
  • On a 7–9, same as above, but the 1st Responder with highest sensitivity (or lowest Reason if there is a tie) will alone continue to experience the weirdness associated with the Rescue.
  • On a miss, you are not able to clear any conditions. Additionally, the weirdness of this Rescue will recur in future rescues.

Some sample prompts in case they get stuck:
  1. The unusually cold summer affected the migration patterns of a lot of animals. . .
  2. Increase in reported drug dealers in the area with hidden meth labs. . .
  3. There was a recent prison escape in upstate New York, the convicts’ last known location was . . . .
  4. Every once in a while this region gets part of the northern lights. . ..
  5. Sleep deprivation can make people hallucinate. . .

The Game Play Phases
The Search

This is when the Rescue is introduced the players start the search by springing into action by heading to locations, talking to side characters, and looking for clues to help answer the Rescue question. The players let the keeper know what their plans are to conduct the Search, and the keeper facilitates with locations, side characters, moments, and possible dangers.

The Rescue
This phase is when the players are able to react to the opportunity provided by answering the Rescue Question. The players let the keeper know what their plan is for the Rescue and the Keeper facilitates based on how the players did on the Rescue Roll.

Out of the Woods
Between each completed Rescue, there is an Out of the Wood phase where we see the team outside of the Search & Rescue. In this phase, players are able to access both Vulnerable and Rationalization moves as well as describing what their characters are up to in their personal and professional lives. After the Rationalization Move with supervisor Dave Umbargo, the players may have a couple scenes each during the Out of the Woods phase where the team members can focus on their personal lives and interactions without being in immediately in danger.

Some potential choices for locations and paint-the-scene questions could be:
  • Back at Headquarters
    • Description: White Mountain National Forest Headquarters in Campton, New Hampshire houses the Forest Supervisor’s office, information & visitor center, facilities, dispatch, search & rescue, and other operational offices.
    • Paint the Scenes:
      • The search & rescue office is a large room with 10 or 12 desks in rows and a couple small offices for team leadership. Describe each team member’s desk and how it reflects their personality.
      • Human Resources has routine mandatory training and several small classrooms for professional development. Describe the HR staff and explain some issues or training they are going over.
      • There is a large bulletin board outside the Ranger’s wing of the building. What wanted or missing posters stand out that are posted on the board?
      • There is a stack of paperwork in your in-box, what is due now that you have to complete?
      • Forest Supervisor, David Umbargo, asks to see you in his office, what does he wish to discuss with you?
    • David Umbargo, National Forest Supervisor
      • Pushing 60 with a full head of salt and pepper hair. Short sleeve button down shirt with a dark green tie. Typically he would like you to fill out site reports and use the proper forms when appropriate.
      • Quote: “Before I forget, where is your mileage log from last month? We need to stay on budget and it’s hard for me to do that if I don’t get your mileage sheets in a timely fashion, right? Right.”
  • Running Errands in Town
    • Description: Campton is very small but the closest medium-sized town is Plymouth which is less than 10 minutes away from Headquarters. The town includes just about everything a town could need as well as the campus of Plymouth State University.
    • Paint the Scenes:
      • You have to renew your driver’s license and find yourself at the NH Department of Motor Vehicles. What are some reasons this is taking longer than usual?
      • Pizza Night is coming up, you are in Hanniford’s grocery store picking up the ingredients (or frozen pizzas). What let’s you know most of the customers are tourists from away?
      • The Plymouth post office is usually efficient and quick, but things screech to a halt when the clerk you went to high school with reminisces about the past. What sorts of things do they always bring up about the past?
      • You have to give someone a ride to the Manchester airport, who are they and where are they going?
      • There is way more traffic in Plymouth than there should be, what event has brought in all the tourists?
  • Home at night
    • Description: Each player describes where their character lives in or around Plymouth. What would surprise the other characters about their home, and what assumptions would they have that would pan out?
    • Paint the Scenes:
      • Describe your character’s home entertainment system (or lack thereof) and narrate what they are doing with it this evening.
      • Work and maintenance around your home has been ignored due to increased hours at work. Describe some home projects that need to be attended to soon.
      • Your significant other or close friend/family member wants to cook dinner with you. Who are they (name/look/demeanor) and what do you cook together?
      • You’re feeling seriously alone tonight. How do you escape in a self destructive manner?
      • Several items you use everyday are out but you need them. What are they and what do they use in substitution?
  • O’Sullivan’s Bar & Grill
    • Description: This is an out of way bar that is north of HQ and Campton where the team often unwinds. No tourists find their way to this pub, and since it is frequented by law enforcement, there are not that many locals, either.
    • Paint the Scenes:
      • The bartender (who are they?) knows your regular drink. What do they have ready as soon as they see you enter the bar?
      • What sorts of decorations are up on the walls in O’Sullivan’s that let you know National Forest Service folks are welcomed here?
      • It’s one of those nights where bar regulars bring their drama into O’Sullivan’s. What drama is it tonight and does it spill over into your space?
      • There are not a lot of food options in the grill portion of the bar. What are the only 3 or 4 options available? What’s good, what’s bad?
      • Your ex is here tonight, they see you and immediately approach you. Are they in a good or bad mood, and what do they want?
  • Personal time
    • Description: Describe a place outside your home, where you are on your personal time? Who, if anyone, do you spend it with? What do you do?

Last edited:
Each Rescue has a mission intro, Question that needs answered, strange phenomenon, Dangers, side characters, locations, and list of clues.

Where did you grow up? I'm in coastal Maine up by Canada.
Concord and Lexington MA. Camped most often at Sebago Lake but also I think Bear Brook Pond State Park (I'm not sure the campground we used in the 60s and 70s is still there) and various other places. My aunt had a cabin on Pine River Pond (NH) (it was cool, they lived in Wakefield MA and had a cabin essentially in Wakefield NH...), a family friend had a cabin in Weare NH. We stayed at other cabins in NH and ME. When we started skiing, popular ski areas were Mt Watatic, Sunapee, Cannon Mountain, and ultimately Killington (where my dad has had a condo since 1986 or so).

Concord and Lexington MA. Camped most often at Sebago Lake but also I think Bear Brook Pond State Park (I'm not sure the campground we used in the 60s and 70s is still there) and various other places. My aunt had a cabin on Pine River Pond (NH) (it was cool, they lived in Wakefield MA and had a cabin essentially in Wakefield NH...), a family friend had a cabin in Weare NH. We stayed at other cabins in NH and ME. When we started skiing, popular ski areas were Mt Watatic, Sunapee, Cannon Mountain, and ultimately Killington (where my dad has had a condo since 1986 or so).
New Hampshire is riddled with cool lakes and ponds.

This would be super cool. I'd love to see some game procedures that make things like this interesting procedures justifying more than a few die rolls to resolve.

That has always been my hang up. I'd like involve enough real knowledge, technical skill etc into the rules that playing could be somewhat educational / players with real world knowledge would find the game play immersive (like an interesting training scenario) without the level of detail being a barrier to players with zero actual knowledge of the skills involved.

Each Rescue has a Question with a difficulty number (typically 2 to 8) and players need that many clues to be able to answer the question. The questions are like "What odd place in the wilderness is the missing hiker?" or "Is the missing journalist dead or alive?" The players find clues by performing the Search move described below or through one of their moves.

Here is a draft of the current PbtA moves + the phases the game is divided up in:

THE MOVES

THE RISKY MOVE

When you try to do something that is risky or you face something that you fear, explain what you are afraid will happen if you fail or lose your nerve, then roll with an appropriate ability.
  • On a 7-9, the Keeper will tell you how your actions would leave you vulnerable, and you can choose to back down or go through with it. If you go through with it, the Keeper describes what it looks like.
  • On a 6 or less, the Keeper will explain what condition or complication results from this roll.

THE DANGEROUS MOVE
When you do something innately dangerous or you risk total ruin, face something you fear, explain what you are afraid will happen if you fail or lose your nerve. The Keeper will tell you how it is worse than you fear. You can choose to back down or go through with it.
If you decide to go through with it, roll with an appropriate ability.
  • On a 7-9, you do it or hold steady, but there is a complication or cost; the Keeper describes what it looks like.
  • On a 6 or less, your worst fears (and more) are realized.

THE SEARCH MOVE
When you search for a clue or are generally gathering information, describe how you’re doing so and roll with an appropriate ability.
  • On a 12+, you find a Clue. The Keeper will tell you what it is, you also find a Mountain Clue.
  • On a 10-11, you find a Clue. The Keeper will tell you what it is.
  • On a 7-9, there’s a complication—either with the Clue itself, or a complication you encounter while searching. The Keeper will tell you what the complication is.
  • On a 6 or less, there’s a complication you encounter while searching. The Keeper will tell you what the complication is.

THE RESCUE MOVE
When the team has an open, freewheeling discussion about the answer to a Rescue Question once they have gathered a number of Clues equal to at least half the Question’ Complexity roll plus the number of Clues incorporated into the answer or otherwise explained away, minus the Question’s Complexity.
  • On a 12+, the answer is correct and the Mountain will reveal themselves while the team is pursuing the Opportunity.
  • On a 10+, the answer is correct and an Opportunity can be pursued.
  • On a 7-9, as above, but the Keeper will add an unwelcome complication to the answer and/or pursuing the Opportunity will be more dangerous.
  • On a 6-, the answer is incorrect and the Keeper reacts.

Note: The Answer a Question roll can never be taken with advantage or disadvantage. The success tier can be increased by using a Crown, but only if every team member does so.

THE VULNERABLE MOVE
When you have an intimate moment with another team member while one of you is engaged in your Stress Reliever once you are Out of the Woods, you may clear an appropriate Condition. If it’s your Stress Reliever, you can also:
  • Stumble on a Clue for the next Rescue. After the Keeper has introduced the new Rescue, tell the Keeper what the Clue is as a flashback to the Vulnerable scene. The Clue cannot conclusively answer a Question by itself, OR
  • Invite the other team member to ask you about your past; you must answer it truthfully but not necessarily completely.

THE RATIONALIZATION MOVE
After you complete a Rescue that was directly related to the supernatural, the group explains how your supervisor, (National Forest Supervisor, David Umbargo) tries to convince you that the whole thing can be easily explained. Work out the details as a group, and then the team member with the highest Reason rolls with Reason.
  • On a 10+, the fabric of reality strengthens, and the weirdness encountered does not appear in future threats/rescues for the rest of the game. Players may clear one condition related to the Rescue.
  • On a 7–9, same as above, but the 1st Responder with highest sensitivity (or lowest Reason if there is a tie) will alone continue to experience the weirdness associated with the Rescue.
  • On a miss, you are not able to clear any conditions. Additionally, the weirdness of this Rescue will recur in future rescues.

Some sample prompts in case they get stuck:
  1. The unusually cold summer affected the migration patterns of a lot of animals. . .
  2. Increase in reported drug dealers in the area with hidden meth labs. . .
  3. There was a recent prison escape in upstate New York, the convicts’ last known location was . . . .
  4. Every once in a while this region gets part of the northern lights. . ..
  5. Sleep deprivation can make people hallucinate. . .

The Game Play Phases
The Search

This is when the Rescue is introduced the players start the search by springing into action by heading to locations, talking to side characters, and looking for clues to help answer the Rescue question. The players let the keeper know what their plans are to conduct the Search, and the keeper facilitates with locations, side characters, moments, and possible dangers.

The Rescue
This phase is when the players are able to react to the opportunity provided by answering the Rescue Question. The players let the keeper know what their plan is for the Rescue and the Keeper facilitates based on how the players did on the Rescue Roll.

Out of the Woods
Between each completed Rescue, there is an Out of the Wood phase where we see the team outside of the Search & Rescue. In this phase, players are able to access both Vulnerable and Rationalization moves as well as describing what their characters are up to in their personal and professional lives. After the Rationalization Move with supervisor Dave Umbargo, the players may have a couple scenes each during the Out of the Woods phase where the team members can focus on their personal lives and interactions without being in immediately in danger.

Some potential choices for locations and paint-the-scene questions could be:
  • Back at Headquarters
    • Description: White Mountain National Forest Headquarters in Campton, New Hampshire houses the Forest Supervisor’s office, information & visitor center, facilities, dispatch, search & rescue, and other operational offices.
    • Paint the Scenes:
      • The search & rescue office is a large room with 10 or 12 desks in rows and a couple small offices for team leadership. Describe each team member’s desk and how it reflects their personality.
      • Human Resources has routine mandatory training and several small classrooms for professional development. Describe the HR staff and explain some issues or training they are going over.
      • There is a large bulletin board outside the Ranger’s wing of the building. What wanted or missing posters stand out that are posted on the board?
      • There is a stack of paperwork in your in-box, what is due now that you have to complete?
      • Forest Supervisor, David Umbargo, asks to see you in his office, what does he wish to discuss with you?
    • David Umbargo, National Forest Supervisor
      • Pushing 60 with a full head of salt and pepper hair. Short sleeve button down shirt with a dark green tie. Typically he would like you to fill out site reports and use the proper forms when appropriate.
      • Quote: “Before I forget, where is your mileage log from last month? We need to stay on budget and it’s hard for me to do that if I don’t get your mileage sheets in a timely fashion, right? Right.”
  • Running Errands in Town
    • Description: Campton is very small but the closest medium-sized town is Plymouth which is less than 10 minutes away from Headquarters. The town includes just about everything a town could need as well as the campus of Plymouth State University.
    • Paint the Scenes:
      • You have to renew your driver’s license and find yourself at the NH Department of Motor Vehicles. What are some reasons this is taking longer than usual?
      • Pizza Night is coming up, you are in Hanniford’s grocery store picking up the ingredients (or frozen pizzas). What let’s you know most of the customers are tourists from away?
      • The Plymouth post office is usually efficient and quick, but things screech to a halt when the clerk you went to high school with reminisces about the past. What sorts of things do they always bring up about the past?
      • You have to give someone a ride to the Manchester airport, who are they and where are they going?
      • There is way more traffic in Plymouth than there should be, what event has brought in all the tourists?
  • Home at night
    • Description: Each player describes where their character lives in or around Plymouth. What would surprise the other characters about their home, and what assumptions would they have that would pan out?
    • Paint the Scenes:
      • Describe your character’s home entertainment system (or lack thereof) and narrate what they are doing with it this evening.
      • Work and maintenance around your home has been ignored due to increased hours at work. Describe some home projects that need to be attended to soon.
      • Your significant other or close friend/family member wants to cook dinner with you. Who are they (name/look/demeanor) and what do you cook together?
      • You’re feeling seriously alone tonight. How do you escape in a self destructive manner?
      • Several items you use everyday are out but you need them. What are they and what do they use in substitution?
  • O’Sullivan’s Bar & Grill
    • Description: This is an out of way bar that is north of HQ and Campton where the team often unwinds. No tourists find their way to this pub, and since it is frequented by law enforcement, there are not that many locals, either.
    • Paint the Scenes:
      • The bartender (who are they?) knows your regular drink. What do they have ready as soon as they see you enter the bar?
      • What sorts of decorations are up on the walls in O’Sullivan’s that let you know National Forest Service folks are welcomed here?
      • It’s one of those nights where bar regulars bring their drama into O’Sullivan’s. What drama is it tonight and does it spill over into your space?
      • There are not a lot of food options in the grill portion of the bar. What are the only 3 or 4 options available? What’s good, what’s bad?
      • Your ex is here tonight, they see you and immediately approach you. Are they in a good or bad mood, and what do they want?
  • Personal time
    • Description: Describe a place outside your home, where you are on your personal time? Who, if anyone, do you spend it with? What do you do?

I have very little knowledge of PtbA, but it looks like you have put a fair amount of thought into this.

I have my first campaign play test scheduled to start in 2 weeks. I'm very excited since so far there have just been one/two shots played.

Toadmaster Toadmaster I also added this in the CATS:

This game is not based on actual search & rescue operations in the White Mountain National Forest, but instead is portrayed as if it was a fictional TV series based on search & rescue procedures. In reality, these operations would fall under the jurisdiction of local sheriff departments.​

In one of the campaign play tests we finally unlocked one of the end game scenarios, the Night of Verdigris. This is based on Stephen King's the Mist and features the players' hometown, Plymouth, NH, under an other worldly mists with strange entities and creatures populating. It turned out really good. Here is the AP:

It just happened to take place during Christmas based on the Keeper, but in the actual game it could happen whenever.

Made some minor changes to the Night of Verdigris based on the game play this week. Added the option of intro vignettes and an actual time limit to make it more intense. Also, instead of a Rationalization Move that explains away the phenomenon, this one is a cover up.

I'm wrapping up the second campaign playtest. I am planning on pitching it to a publisher this June. Fingers crossed!

If they pass on it, I'll have it up this summer on DriveThru with my other CfB game, the Isle Beyond the Mists.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back