Working on Some New Spells for 4C Expanded

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Jamfke

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Okay, in essence this isn't a new new spell. I'm sure it's a mainstay in most other systems, but it has been absent in 4C and my Expanded version, so here it is.

In working on one of my other projects, I've decided to add a bunch of newish spells, and while researching other games Exorcise came across my screen. While writing it up I was having flashbacks of the first time I saw the original Exorcist movie. Creepy in its day, but now its almost a comedy compared to everything else out there now. Anywho, here's my version of Exorcise, called Cast Out:

CAST OUT

Cast Time:
Base 10 Turns Duration: Permanent Range: Touch Area of Effect: 1 Subject

Whenever a character encounters an undead spirit or demon or a devil, there is always the chance that he or she might get possessed. In such a situation, a priest or priestess is typically sought out to cast the unwelcome entity out of them. The caster must be able to make physical contact with the victim of a possession for a minimum of 10 Turns plus the Ego Trait value of the infernal spirit being cast out. In most cases the victim is bound to a bed, table, a tree or any other object that can hold them in place for a lengthy amount of time. The caster may use holy items or similar magical devices during the casting process to increase his or her chances of success.

As the spell is being cast, the entity will curse, speak in unknown tongues and perform very bizarre acts of behavior through the victim in order to distract the caster and anyone else assisting them. Once the cast time has been completed, the caster rolls his or her casting check as an opposed roll against the entity’s Ego Trait value. If successful, the entity leaves the victim quickly, and sometimes violently, leaving scratches and bruises in its wake (10 points of damage). If the casting check fails, the entity remains, and the spell must be performed again. The caster will be extremely exhausted after casting the spell and will require from 1-5 hours of rest before attempting the spell once more.

Okay, in essence this isn't a new new spell. I'm sure it's a mainstay in most other systems, but it has been absent in 4C and my Expanded version, so here it is.

In working on one of my other projects, I've decided to add a bunch of newish spells, and while researching other games Exorcise came across my screen. While writing it up I was having flashbacks of the first time I saw the original Exorcist movie. Creepy in its day, but now its almost a comedy compared to everything else out there now. Anywho, here's my version of Exorcise, called Cast Out:

CAST OUT

Cast Time:
Base 10 Turns Duration: Permanent Range: Touch Area of Effect: 1 Subject

Whenever a character encounters an undead spirit or demon or a devil, there is always the chance that he or she might get possessed. In such a situation, a priest or priestess is typically sought out to cast the unwelcome entity out of them. The caster must be able to make physical contact with the victim of a possession for a minimum of 10 Turns plus the Ego Trait value of the infernal spirit being cast out. In most cases the victim is bound to a bed, table, a tree or any other object that can hold them in place for a lengthy amount of time. The caster may use holy items or similar magical devices during the casting process to increase his or her chances of success.

As the spell is being cast, the entity will curse, speak in unknown tongues and perform very bizarre acts of behavior through the victim in order to distract the caster and anyone else assisting them. Once the cast time has been completed, the caster rolls his or her casting check as an opposed roll against the entity’s Ego Trait value. If successful, the entity leaves the victim quickly, and sometimes violently, leaving scratches and bruises in its wake (10 points of damage). If the casting check fails, the entity remains, and the spell must be performed again. The caster will be extremely exhausted after casting the spell and will require from 1-5 hours of rest before attempting the spell once more.
Sounds good to me. But unless you have an exorcist in the group, I wouldn't expect it to see much use:grin:!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back