The physical fitness encouragement and accountability thread.

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I'm approaching half that in a year... actually more because I accidentally reset it. So probably about 750 miles

I've got one more half marathon coming up on Sunday, May 5th. Signed up for it prior to hurting my foot. After this one, I'm planning to focus on forms of exercise other than running for a good, long while.

Whelp, put on a little bit of weight around my birthday because of the necessities of work, the indulgencies of birthdays, and having to go camping.

It's coming off nicely, again, though. Once I've got through (yet another) little health blip I should be good to get back to things. (The blips are all interrelated, of course, but alas... :facepalm: )

While I am devoted to my hobby of rpgs, I work as a trainer. So I'd just like to say it's heartening to see so many gamers getting themselves off the couch a few times a week. After all, if you live longer you can game longer!

Keep it up, boys and girls. But if you go for a walk, watch out for wandering monsters.

Keep it up, boys and girls. But if you go for a walk, watch out for wandering monsters.
Given my forested neighborhood, I am the only one of us with animal encounters likely. (Human monsters do happen on other environment charts.)

It is fairly calm in these parts, and cars are responsible for taking out most wandering monsters.

Given my forested neighborhood, I am the only one of us with animal encounters likely. (Human monsters do happen on other environment charts.)

Although I live in a densely populated urban area, I have seen a coyote within a block of my apartment; skunks, opossums, and wild hares within a few blocks; deer within a mile.

It is fairly calm in these parts, and cars are responsible for taking out most wandering monsters.
My neighborhood is forested with a lot of deer. Not only do I have to watch out for wandering monsters, I have to watch out for suicidal deer and squirrels.

Although I live in a densely populated urban area, I have seen a coyote within a block of my apartment; skunks, opossums, and wild hares within a few blocks; deer within a mile.
Oh cute, mostly dangerous herbivores. (okay omnivores of opportunity)

Though people do not give coyotes their due, they won't attack anything larger than half again their size. They are wiley enough to attack only if they could win.

Let me know when you see a lynx, mountain lion, feral pig, 2nd Gen feral dog, eagle, geese, or even a bear (which I have to admit have not been seen in our section of the mountains in over 40 years). Then you can be on a real encounter table. (Note: Buck Deer are the only real danger to cars, so the wildlife kinda fights back.)

Last edited:

I would definitely not call my neighborhood "forested" but we had toucans, parrots, a hawk once, and the odd opossum and hedgehog in our street.

Thursday was 10 loops (.1 mile with two 30% grades up and down w
Friday was 10 loops
Yesterday was complicated and rainy
Today is only foggy, so we will see.

I was going to bike a couple of times, but got a slow start and only did once for just shy of 13 miles.

Tomorrow I won’t be taking my bike but I’m still biking. My wife got an e bike and I have a friend who wants to take a look. Here is more aesthetic than mine and there more important. But by tomorrow afternoon I will have e-bike commuted and paved trailed ridden over 1k miles since last July 1. My emtb has gotten 600 from me over the last 2.5 years.

I have been doing 10 loops a day, as weather permitted.

Today will be a 3+ mile walk on the flats from wifes work to better starbucks. I will get work done.

Did the 3 mile walk and 3 loops after dinner.

I did 8 loops today at home because we have gone from unseasonably cold to unseasonably warm in a day. (tomorrow will be record breaking high)

Got in some dumbbell exercises this morning before work. Hammer curls, overhead press, squats, and also just walking around carrying them.

Lately when I do my running, I can tell I haven't been doing enough strength stuff lately, so I'm trying to step it up. Running was definitely easier when I was also routinely lifting.

Soreness kicked in yesterday from my strength workout on Monday. Not sure why it took so long, but glad I'm not doing it on the regular. Also didn't ride, but going to do that today.

I have been being picked up from the Starbucks I camp at while my wife is at work. Thus I am only doing a 1.5 mile/ 2.4 K walk in the morning.

I did the hike on Monday and Today (Wed). I skipped doing loops Tuesday because of winter coming back and raining on us

Did 2 mile walk yesterday after strength training Monday and Stationary Bike light work. Today doing 10 miles on the bike if the weather holds out.

This Sunday, my 46 year old self and my 77 year old dad will be running the Chicagoland Spring Half Marathon. It will be the fourth half marathon we've done together and our second time doing this particular event.

I'm confident it will go better than last year's Chicagoland Spring Half Marathon, when my dad had an injured foot and I hadn't trained enough, and also better than the Mesa Half Marathon we did in Arizona in February, when I had an injured foot.

I haven't really trained enough for this one, either, but I'm sure I'll at least be able to finish before the course closes, which is at the 3.5 hour mark.

And it's looking like the weather will be really nice for it!

Trying to get back into the swing of things - Biked 15+ miles on Monday, 10 miles on Tuesday with a 2 mile walk, and 10 miles yesterday. My watch says easy recovery recommended, so I think I'll take an off day today, and bike again tomorrow and maybe go for a bit of strength training at the Y.

Monday and Wednesday were both the 1.5 mile to Bucks

Today I will try to fit something in. Add on: 1 did 6 loops

Tomorrow, I will probably do the hike to Bucks
It is now tomorrow. I did the 1.5 mi to Starbucks. (Before you ask, there are other two 'bucks in a 2 mi radius. A Peet's and an unaffiliated in a 2.5ish mi radius.)

rode into work, will ride home. 25 miles. it's moving into "definitely should be riding" season, and this will be standard 3 days a week. startign in june it'll be 5x a week.

Did the same this week- Biked 15+ miles on Monday with strength training at the Y, then 10+ miles + 2 miles walking yesterday, I'll try to do 10 today- was going to do a 4 mile walk too, but it's too humid.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back