The physical fitness encouragement and accountability thread.

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
So far I'm doing well at sticking to my New Years resolution. I've gone running three times this week already.

The new track I'm running on is nice too. I can either do a lap of the whole park, which is about 800m and has uphill and downhill sections, or just laps of the oval which is about half that distance and flat. I think I'll be back in shape pretty quick.

Thursday was 10 loops. I was planning on 12, but my phone dropped to single digits. Given Murphy, the one time I fall or have a tachycardia event is when I can't call home for assistance. (My older neighbor won't go outside without her phone now. She has fallen once to many times. Recently she called for us to come and help get her inside after an outside fall. )

The last few days I have been surviving the bug that is going around. Everyone had it in the house except me. Now, it is my turn. Sigh.

Had a frustrating experience on New Year's Eve. The first part was great! My dad and I not only ran 10k around Green Lake, it was my second-fastest 10k ever. But immediately afterwards, I slipped on some mud and hurt my foot. Not bad enough to need medical attention, but it is still sore today. So I've had to mostly lay off of running to let it heal. Did 40 minutes on the stationary bike this morning while reading the Deadlands Lost Colony core book.

Between the Bug and the "less than clement" weather, I have not been doing much. If this goes on for another day or so, it is going to be me and the elliptical.

Between the Bug and the "less than clement" weather, I have not been doing much. If this goes on for another day or so, it is going to be me and the elliptical.

I hit a similar snag over Christmas. My aunt passed away in early december and I got sick right after the funeral. I think I pretty much caught all three of the respiratory illnesses going around. I have managed light workouts every other day lately. But this is turning into my typical Christmas break set back where I need some recovery time to build back to where I was a few months ago.

One thing I really need to do is find a good cardio alternative for indoors. There just isn't a way for me to run outside when it gets cold (my lungs are too reactive to cold weather). I have been doing shadow boxing, but it isn't enough. I have seen some suggestions here before in this thread, so I am going to go to a sporting goods store this week and see if I can find something that works in my apartment and is affordable

I hit a similar snag over Christmas. My aunt passed away in early december and I got sick right after the funeral. I think I pretty much caught all three of the respiratory illnesses going around. I have managed light workouts every other day lately. But this is turning into my typical Christmas break set back where I need some recovery time to build back to where I was a few months ago.

One thing I really need to do is find a good cardio alternative for indoors. There just isn't a way for me to run outside when it gets cold (my lungs are too reactive to cold weather). I have been doing shadow boxing, but it isn't enough. I have seen some suggestions here before in this thread, so I am going to go to a sporting goods store this week and see if I can find something that works in my apartment and is affordable
Consider elastic bands to supplement the shadowboxing:thumbsup:?

Restarting, again.

Recently my blood pressure was through the roof, sufficient that it almost sent me to the ER. After checking in with the doc I made some rapid changes, one of which included going to the low-carb meals that my body seems to prefer. Point in case, two weeks eating a Mediterranean-based diet and I put on 15 lbs. Four days of just cutting out the pasta, rice, and bread and the water weight is thankfully dropping, and quickly. Hopefully by the time that I go and see the doc mid-next-month, I'll be close to my plateau weight. Maybe I'll even come off of some of the drugs that I was recently put on. :smile:

I'm still borken when it comes to the arms (stupid work injury), but some outpatient procedure later and oodles of OT maybe that will end up right. Regardless, back to martial arts for me for a low ramp up---even if that just doing a quick march in the back of the hall, stretching, and the like.

It was supposed to ice and snow yesterday so took it off. Rode 15 miles today.
It's been frustrating lately because it's been too cold to ride, even with my heated apparel. I need to get in the garage and get my space cleaned out to use my stationary bike and resub to peloton.

Hurt my foot a bit on New Year's Eve day, which has prevented me from doing my main form of exercise, long distance running. I still could and should do other types of exercise, but I just... haven't.

I have been managing to track my calories consumed for a week-and-counting now, though, so that's good. Counting calories, much like practicing music with a metronome, is something that I absolutely detest doing, and yet find very helpful when I can get myself to actually do it.

Well, the procedure on my arm was perhaps the most painful thing that I have experienced, including breaking bones and some other shenanigans.

I'm going to have to see if I can do any limited martial arts because, well, pain.

On the other hand, the low-carb diet is having its normal impact (i.e. I'm feeling better), sleep is better etc.

Counting calories, much like practicing music with a metronome, is something that I absolutely detest doing, and yet find very helpful when I can get myself to actually do it.

And, yet, one of the most effective ways of effectively controlling diet. (I'm doing it, too. Two weeks of <1,700 calories and, often, less than 1,000. That last being an oopsie rather than a boast.)

I'm not even aiming for a particular # of calories yet, although that will be a goal. Right now I'm just trying to get a baseline of how much I currently eat so I can then adjust from there.

Found out I've had a fracture in my big toe since I fell on New Year's Eve day. Makes me feel a bit better about having gotten my slowest-ever half-marathon time last weekend.

Also, had a physical today & doc had no concerns about my weight. I'd still like to lose the beer-gut, though. Or at least reduce it.

Had my 6 month check-up after the surgery- I've lost a lot more than they intended, but told me that I'm fine- just let them know if I lose 30 lbs or more in the next 6 months. Went to the PCP this week and weighed and I've lost 7lbs since then doing nothing in particular.

Doc wants me to wear a walking boot when putting weight on my foot for now, so that rules out running for exercise. I do have a stationary bike I can use for cardio, and the advantage of that is that I can read or watch a movie while I'm exercising.

I only had to wear the boot for a short time, but I haven't been able to get back to running yet, which led to more-or-less giving up exercise entirely for a bit.

As of the past few days, I've been adding in more movement, though. A little bit of dance type stuff, a little bit of weightlifting, and a little bit of swinging my Kali sticks. Feels a lot better than doing zero exercise.

Parking my stationary bicycle in front of the TV has been pretty effective. Now I ride it whenever I watch a show or movie. It helps that my couch isn't very comfortable, so riding the bike is genuinely preferable, haha.

Biked today. I won't hit a thousand miles this week I don't think, but it'll be over 950. Maybe if I ride Saturday.

Conned my wife into getting one so we can go ride together.

Parking my stationary bicycle in front of the TV has been pretty effective. Now I ride it whenever I watch a show or movie. It helps that my couch isn't very comfortable, so riding the bike is genuinely preferable, haha.

Isn't that the perfect answer? The only time I watch TV is when I'm on the bike. And then I hardly think about exercising because I'm watching a show...

I was able to get a run in for the first time in more than a month. One of my standard routes is a 3-miler that involves going south from my apartment, doing a loop around a park, and heading back north, which is the route I used today. It went well! My foot is not very sore from it, which was my primary concern.

...My core, however, is now quite sore. Need to make sure I add some core strength exercises back into my routine.

I did not ride today as anticipated as it was cold. Then I acquired a week of travel so I'm fucked on riding. But will try to exercise anyways

Took a break from Crossfit for a few months and running a strength cycle combined with running 2x a week. Have managed to put some size on, but with the less intense nature, I needed to cut back on my food intake a bit too. Cutting 500 calories a day now and keeping junk food to once a week for the next several months. Wife and I usually get pizza on the weekend as our treat, so will keep that, but otherwise eating healthy.

I have been very bad. I have not been checking in at all. I also haven't been exercising on a regular basis. Now. There are some of the little stretches and some lifting for toe and heel lifts and things that I need to do to keep mobile. However, for big walks, there hasn't been a lot. Over the last couple of weeks that I haven't been checking in, I have had on average six loops a day three times a week, maybe. Every now and then. I was getting in a 3-mile walk on flatland which is a lot easier than my hill. So the last couple of days I have been trying to get more and more walk-in. Today I went up to 10 loops. Yesterday was 8 loops. Before that was there was six. I've been having periods of hypotension during the day and then getting up insanely high in blood pressure at night. So walking has not been very safe. Or just moving around has not been very safe. So I'm going to try to get back in and try to check in at least more regularly. Thank you all.

Last edited:
I have been very bad. I have not been checking in at all. I also haven't been exercising on a regular basis. Now. There are some of the little stretches and some lifting for tow and heel lifts and things that I need to do to keep mobile. However, for big walks, there hasn't been a lot. Over the last couple of weeks that I haven't been checking in, I have had on average six loops a day three times a week, maybe. Every now and then. I was getting in a 3-mile walk on flatland which is a lot easier than my hill. So the last couple of days I have been trying to get more and more walk-in. Today I went up to 10 yesterday was 8:00 before was 7:00. There was six. I've been having periods of hypotension during the day and then getting up insanely high in blood pressure at night. So walking has not been very safe. Or just moving around has not been very safe. So I'm going to try to get back in and try to check in at least more regularly. Thank you all. Bye

Try to do what you can safely. Keeping at it is the most important part. I'm learning this first hand, as I'm getting old, and while my brain thinks, "You can bench press 170 pounds!" - my shoulder says, "If you do that again, the minor rotator cuff tear you have is going to go supernova!"

Stupid body. :blah:

So I do less weight, and more reps. It is what it is...

I've been going to fitness exclusively this week. Which means I am on my second practice session by Tuesday, and have plans to go to practice tomorrow as well.
Many thanks to Mr. Magnesium, Mrs. Sleep and Ms. BCAA (along with a guest appearance by Mr. Kalium) for allowing this with only a moderate amount of muscle soreness so far. I'm 100% positive that without the help of any of them it wouldn't have been possible...:grin:

I'm noting an improvement in my flexibility, too, seeing as I'm focusing on stretching and balance type of exercises. Stretching, balance, resistance and endurance are way more useful for my usual sports than pure muscle explosiveness, but to be honest, I do plan to train for strength and bulk as well. It's just that training for either is IME best entertained after getting in a somewhat decent shape::honkhonk:!

Yesterday morning, my foot was feeling well enough that I was able to do a 5 mile run.

Didn't do anything pretty much all last week because of weather and having a life. Actually gained weight for the first time in a long time. Then went biking twice this week (and will go today hopefully and hiking tomorrow), and lost all of that. Still close to the borderline of when I have to call the doctor if I lose more before August. But I feel really good so I don't know what the big deal is. My gf is really on me about not eating though, but I'm not really hungry most of the time.

I went to conditioning again on Wednesday and Thursday. I'm now definitely able to do moves I couldn't before, so my stretching is improving, albeit slowly...:shade:

I'm skipping BJJ this week, though. Didn't work out with the time commitments for work, a session, and going to First Son's first BJJ competition::honkhonk:!

Weight training last night. Then packed up several boxes at my mother in law's apartment, which counts because I was speed packing and definitely not something I want to do ;). Slept like a baby though.

Back to biking after a bit of a rest last week because of weather. Getting a membership to the Y to go with my SO and work on weight training instead of getting a Tonal for home use.

Got a six-mile run in on Saturday. It was supposed to be an eight-mile run, but six was all I had in me. I did walk another 2.5 miles after running the six, though. I had gone out to a portion of the Des Plaines River Trail where I've not previously been, with the intention of running four miles south and then turning back. At two miles south, the trail was underwater, so I turned around and changed my route a bit.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back