13th Age RPG 2E

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Buyer’s fatigue is a real thing and with the frequency of kickstarters and new editions of games every couple years I agree with sureshot sureshot . Heck it isn’t like I don’t already have enough unplayed games to be able to do a different weekly game every week until I die without ever buying anything else.

I think that they should use race, species, and kin in series one per every three books. Don't tell anyone, just print 'em and sell 'em. Make some popcorn. Watch the internet explode.

I'll be on board for this one. I have the whole line and look forward to the new edition.

I'm kind of surprised they aren't rolling 13 True Ways into the core Player's Handbook, though. That material will appear later in Further Adventurers. It would've been nice to have all the classes in one book.

Now the only question is how much Pelgrane is going to soak me for that slipcase and screen.

I'll be on board for this one. I have the whole line and look forward to the new edition.

I'm kind of surprised they aren't rolling 13 True Ways into the core Player's Handbook, though. That material will appear later in Further Adventurers. It would've been nice to have all the classes in one book.

Now the only question is how much Pelgrane is going to soak me for that slipcase and screen.

Imo it would have made the core too large. Along the lines of the hardcover version of Pathfinder 2E.

Besides possibly Planet of the Apes rpg (even then only after reading or viewing reviews of it). I might also buy 13th Age.

Before 5E and PF 2E it was going to be my replacement fantasy rpg.

I would hope that they include the Druid Class in the core book this time - it feels like it should be with the core character classes.

I like how versatile the 13th Age Druid Class is, covering Druids, Shamans, Elementalists, and whatnot.

(One could also argue for the Necromancer Class to be corebook as well, given that characters can begin play with Icon Relationships with the Lich King)

But yeah, I hope the Druid Class is considered mainstream enough for inclusion in the core rulebook.

I would hope that they include the Druid Class in the core book this time - it feels like it should be with the core character classes.

I like how versatile the 13th Age Druid Class is, covering Druids, Shamans, Elementalists, and whatnot.

(One could also argue for the Necromancer Class to be corebook as well, given that characters can begin play with Icon Relationships with the Lich King)

But yeah, I hope the Druid Class is considered mainstream enough for inclusion in the core rulebook.
I can agree with that. The other classes are a little less traditional (I'm looking at you, Occultist).

At the end of the day, I'll grab whatever they put out for 2e. The other classes will still be usable until Further Adventurers comes out anyway.

Between Shadowdark, Dolemwood, Black Sword Hack, D&D 5E Lord Of The Rings, and 13 Age, it looks like my D&D fix is sated.
All those titles hit different beats, but somehow still feel more D&D to me than the recent era WotC releases.
I'm not interested in any upcoming WotC D&D 6E at this stage, and I can't see that changing.

Given WotC's track record over the last twelve months, I don't anticipate wanting to add any fuel to their fire for quite a while.
Most of the WotC releases after 'Rime Of The Frostmaiden' make me feel that I'm not their target customer these days.
Not to mention all the other grief they caused with the OGL grab/scandal, and the upcoming digital platform emphasis.

13th Age seems much more my wheelhouse in many ways. Very narrative at times, yet light to mid crunch at other times. Perhaps a bit too 'gamey' at times for my tastes, but I have other trpgs that aren't; so this is fine.
It's actually quite easy to GM, and customising threats is no biggie at all.

Additionally the books provide some very rich setting seeds that easily fire up my imagination.
I'm having fun running 13th Age at present

There is a pretty good press release for 13th Age 2E here:

Last edited:
There is a pretty good press release for 13th Age 2E here:
I appreciate where Rob noted that they saw common powers that people were more likely to take, and instead of spiking those, they made the other powers more fun. So not taking away the fun ones people liked already.

I’m pretty psyched for 2E. It is one of my faves. I am much more likely to run 13A than 4E (or 5E, or 1+2E - all the actual D&Ds I have). Honestly, if I did have to order them, in likelihood of me running it would be 13A, 1+2E, 4E, 5E.

But as mentioned by others, I have other games that scratch different D&D itches.

Size of the book is not an issue for me either as long as it’s properly organized. Looking at you 1E DMG.

I also liked that in 13th age they made no defence of the Rust Monster or similar monsters.

They have en entry in their equivalent of the monster manual. Yet unlike Paizo the 13th age devs just simply say “ if players see such monsters they will turn them into paste”.

Last edited:
Side note, it is much easier for me to rationalize the GM/Player book split since I often provide copies of the player book for my players to use.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back