Are many fantasy gamers irrational about guns in settings?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I have firearms in my fantasy campaign but heavily limit them by in-universe factors. Black powder cannot be manufactured; it is refined from a type of stone that must be mined and is too rare to be viable as a military weapon thus they are only seen as useful for palace guards, noblemen's bodyguards, rich folk may hunt with them periodically, etc. The rarity also means that there is little interest in advancing firearms technology.

if it fits the setting, I have no problem with it, and in fact enjoy firearms as a game addition.

I’m currently playing in a WHFRP4E campaign and my Witch Hunter carries a brace of pistols while his Coachman henchmen carries a blunderbuss called “Sigmar’s Fury”.

if it fits the setting, I have no problem with it, and in fact enjoy firearms as a game addition.

I’m currently playing in a WHFRP4E campaign and my Witch Hunter carries a brace of pistols while his Coachman henchmen carries a blunderbuss called “Sigmar’s Fury”.
I'm here with it. A lot of Fantasy settings don't have the infrastructure to have firearms appear regularly. Warhammer is one of the few who does it.

I'm here with it. A lot of Fantasy settings don't have the infrastructure to have firearms appear regularly. Warhammer is one of the few who does it.
I think this is an important point, setting really matters in this discussion. You shouldn’t be considering mixing flintlock revolvers and Conan although if you want Conan and guns there is a What If? where Conan comes to the modern day and becomes a pimp with a pet leopard.

I think this is an important point, setting really matters in this discussion. You shouldn’t be considering mixing flintlock revolvers and Conan although if you want Conan and guns there is a What If? where Conan comes to the modern day and becomes a pimp with a pet leopard.
Or you could just play Solomon Kane, which will give you flintlocks but not revolvers.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back