Buck Rogers XXVc and Overlords of Dimension-25

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Lunar Ronin

New Generation Grognard
Administrator
Reaction score
Forewarning: This is going to be a long, rambling couple of posts. Apologies.

I was thirteen years old in 1990. On a fairly regular family trip to CompUSA, I perused the video games section, when I noticed a video game called Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday. Now, I was a fan of the Gil Gerard television show, but this didn't look quite like the television show. Regardless, it was a Buck Rogers video game, so I bought it. (Seriously, I was a huge Buck Rogers in the 25th Century fan as a wee lad. I remember watching the television show with my parents. I had most of the toys, and the comic books. When I was six years old, I had to go in the hospital for a few days for extensive medical testing. My kindergarten teacher knew that I'd be going in the hospital soon, and told me that my kindergarten class would all make me "get well soon" cards, and wanted to know who I would want featured on the cards. My answer? Buck Rogers, of course! I specifically recall my kindergarten teacher asking, "Wouldn't you rather have Pacman instead?" Pfft, Pacman. No, Buck Rogers. I received about a dozen and a half handmade "get well soon" cards, all with Buck Rogers, Wilma Deering, and/or a Starfighter on the cover. But I digress.)

I played the heck out of that video game for a few weeks. It became quickly apparent that it had absolutely nothing to do with the television show, other than having characters named Buck Rogers, Wilma Deering, Dr. Huer, Killer Kane, Princess Ardala, etc. I was sucked into the setting, with rocket ships, ray guns, digital personalities, and a semi-hard science-fiction setting that was quite different from other science-fiction I knew. Inside the box though was a pamphlet, advertising something called a role-playing game called Buck Rogers XXVc. It told me that if I wanted to continue the adventures in the video game, to check out the role-playing game. In a coincidence of timing, a new, fairly large comic book shop opened up a couple of months later. I checked it out with a friend, and in addition to comic books, it carried role-playing games. Among those role-playing games was Buck Rogers XXVc. I had to buy it. My friend meanwhile bought the Palladium Robotech RPG. That was my introduction to the tabletop RPG hobby.

I'd go into a deep overview of the system, but someone else did a far better job than I would have back in 2019. You can read it here. It's lengthy and detailed, but well worth a read if you have any interest in Buck Rogers XXVc or hard science-fiction tabletop RPGs. To sum up, Buck Rogers XXVc is Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2E re-skinned in a semi-hard science-fiction setting with rocket ships and ray guns, no alignments, a seventh attribute called Tech, and a percentile skill system. The system is functional, but IMO that's not the selling point.

The selling point is the setting. The setting, to this day, is phenomenal IMO. As mentioned, it's semi-hard science-fiction with rocket ships, ray guns, and Buck Rogers. Earth is a shell of its former self, polluted nearly beyond repair, occupied by lower class natural humans. The moon, Mars, Venus, Mercury, and the asteroid belt are all partially terraformed and populated by genetically engineered diverse races of humanity. On Venus, you have the Lowlander, a genetically engineered reptile-human crossbreed. Mars is now the jewel of the solar system and the main political power, oppressing humanity on Earth, with humans genetically engineered to better fit the Martian atmosphere. There's political intrigue, corporate intrigue, digital personalities/AI, transhuman themes, revolution, secret agents, and a sort of class cold war threatening to break out into open war. It was science-fiction, but even as a young teenager, it felt more real than Star Trek, Star Wars, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, and other science-fiction I knew of at the time. Except that it had its own fun 1930s/1940s pulp flair.

Unfortunately, TSR at the time was in dire financial straights and the Buck Rogers XXVc tabletop RPG was largely a sales failure. Many people couldn't get past the Buck Rogers name, automatically assuming that the game shared the same setting as the Gil Gerard television show when it couldn't be much more different. Others blamed Lorraine Williams and Buck Rogers XXVc for the death of Star Frontiers, (which there probably is truth to that). In three years, the game line was dead, with a couple of advertised books never seeing the light of day. In 1996, Wizards of the Coast bought and rescued TSR. Years later, Wizards of the Coast discovered that TSR had a warehouse full of unsold Buck Rogers XXVc product. The inventory was transferred to Paizo and sold off online in the latter half of the 2000s. I managed to snag two brand new unopened core box sets, and a new copy of the extremely hard to find No Humans Allowed supplement.

Actual Play videos are an important part of the tabletop RPG hobby these days, teaching people interested in a particular tabletop RPG how to play it. Guess what? There's a series of Buck Rogers XXVc actual play videos from a couple of years ago, with Luke Gygax and Flint Dille.

Now in the 2020s, there's actually a Buck Rogers XXVc retroclone available. It's named Overlords of Dimension-25, and written by our very own Evilschemer Evilschemer . It's a retroclone of both system and setting.

I finally got around to buying it and reading it, and I'm really glad I did. Going through it, it has a more modern, much more inviting, much more colorful layout, and clocks in under 70 pages. It's much better presented than the original game, IMO. I enjoyed the little nods to the original game, and the man Buck Rogers himself. As mentioned, the system is mostly the same, for better or for worse, just reworded a bit and streamlined. I'm not sure of the wisdom of introducing THAC0 in a game published in the 2020s :grin:, but I'm glad that there's an optional rule for ascending AC as that will make it a much easier sell to others, especially those newer to the hobby. You can tell that Evilschemer Evilschemer put a lot of hard work, time, and heart into the game. Overlords of Dimension-25 should be more accessible to a modern audience, and more importantly much more available than the old Buck Rogers XXVc.

The only criticism I have of the game (other than THAC0 by default :tongue:), is that I'd really like to see more. I'd like to see something like the digital personalities/AI that were in Buck Rogers XXVc. I'd like to see more about the ARES Consortium, in-depth. The setting needs a bit more fleshing out.

If you never played Buck Rogers XXVc before and if you like hard science-fiction, if you like rocket ships and ray guns, if you like pulp action, check Overlords of Dimension-25 out. It's really well done, and I'm glad to see that the game that was my introduction to the tabletop RPG hobby found new life. Thanks, Evilschemer Evilschemer .

Now in the 2020s, there's actually a Buck Rogers XXVc retroclone available. It's named Overlords of Dimension-25, and written by our very own Evilschemer Evilschemer . It's a retroclone of both system and setting.

I finally got around to buying it and reading it, and I'm really glad I did. Going through it, it has a more modern, much more inviting, much more colorful layout, and clocks in under 70 pages. It's much better presented than the original game, IMO. I enjoyed the little nods to the original game, and the man Buck Rogers himself. As mentioned, the system is mostly the same, for better or for worse, just reworded a bit and streamlined. I'm not sure of the wisdom of introducing THAC0 in a game published in the 2020s :grin:, but I'm glad that there's an optional rule for ascending AC as that will make it a much easier sell to others, especially those newer to the hobby. You can tell that Evilschemer Evilschemer put a lot of hard work, time, and heart into the game. Overlords of Dimension-25 should be more accessible to a modern audience, and more importantly much more available than the old Buck Rogers XXVc.

The only criticism I have of the game (other than THAC0 by default :tongue:), is that I'd really like to see more. I'd like to see something like the digital personalities/AI that were in Buck Rogers XXVc. I'd like to see more about the ARES Consortium, in-depth. The setting needs a bit more fleshing out.

If you never played Buck Rogers XXVc before and if you like hard science-fiction, if you like rocket ships and ray guns, if you like pulp action, check Overlords of Dimension-25 out. It's really well done, and I'm glad to see that the game that was my introduction to the tabletop RPG hobby found new life. Thanks, Evilschemer Evilschemer .
I'm a fan of the game, and generally ditch the Buck Rogers characters and just run it as a hard sci-fi game. I'm a fan of the game, and generally ditch the Buck Rogers characters and just run it as a hard sci-fi game. I loved the video game (on the Genesis at least, it was easier to play than the computer one but I loved them both.) I'd like to pick up Overlords but ya know money.

There's a large (complete I think?) lot on ebay (UK) for the XXVC line.

xxvc.png

I have all of these and the board game (which I've never played) plus the High Adventure Cliffhanger game which was something different from the 2e AD&D based XXVC. The only thing I don't have these days (nnngh) is the Amiga version of Countdown to Doomsday Big Box game. Gave that away with my Amiga unfortunately. I think I have all the novels.

Loved the computer game (never completed the follow up 'Matrix Cubed'. It was rare as hens teeth to get hold of on the Amiga in the UK, despite my searching) and you could just about make a homebrew RPG from all the details in the rules/log books that came with the Computer game.

I think the art drew me first and that retro-futurism style with ray guns, bubble helmets and so on reminded me of the Buster Crabbe series back in the day (which I watched on re-runs - I'm not THAT old!). In a similar vein I loved Flash Gordon, King of the Rocket Men, Zorro and everything else BBC2 used to shovel at us around 6pm which I had to fight to watch because the news was on the other side.

Therein lies the problem with Buck Rogers (as I see it). Flash Gordon exists. The first season of the TV show was cheesy late 70s stuff but quite fun and the second season I didn't even bother watching all of. Something about a bird-man and searching for something or other with a Battlestar Galactica type vibe. It screeched to a halt halfway through the season due to an Actors strike and Gil Gerard was (by then) fed up with the direction of the show. Plus ratings fell off a cliff so that was that.

By contrast Flash Gordon had the wonderful Alex Raymond comic strip, merchandise (toys etc) and of course the movie (25th Cnetury got a movie which prompted the series but I don't remember much of it). Other than something for Savage Worlds was there a stand alone RPG? Flash Gordon and the Warriors of Mongo? Another I tried (and failed) to track down.

Point is that XXVC was going up against 800lb gorillas because looming over even Flash Gordon was Star Wars for your space pew pew RPG action. Doomed, and of course TSR at the end was a mess. Not surprised they went all in and had a warehouse of stuff what with the Lorraine Williams connection.

My biggest regret is that I never got to run or play the RPG. By then (90s) my gaming group had dissolved and interest in XXVC, Flash Gordon and even Star Wars these days (thanks to - apart from Rogue One - a series of poor to garbage films) seems limited in RPG terms. Not much in the way of mention. Do FFG still produce the RPG?

These days I would need dragging towards anything D&D so XXVC would be a hard sell but I'll always be fond of it. I'd probably use Tunnels & Trolls as a system instead (less whiffing) but the rebels vs big bad set in the solar system might be too 'small scale' for some brought up on Star Wars.

Might dig out one of the box sets to have a read at some point. Thanks for the trip down memory lane Lunar Ronin Lunar Ronin !

I tried to stay as true as possible to the original. I added Ascending AC and Attack Bonus as an optional rule. The primary rule changes I made were: new turns are now 6 seconds instead of the original 1 minute, adjusted movement rate accordingly, and I tried to clarify and codify some skills. I also added some optional rules to space combat to enhance the role of the pilot - who had no game effect in the original game.

I didn't include digital personalities because I was trying to keep my setting more grounded in a pulp aesthetic than the original. There are no computer keyboards in Dimension-25, only knobs and microphones and disk-shaped visualizer screens.

Be sure to check out the trilogy of adventures I wrote.

Oops editing it created two sentences, I thought I'd deleted it.
I assumed it was repeated for emphasis.

Never played Buck Rogers. It came out during a time when I wasn't buying any new games, I think. Had pretty much all the TSR games I needed and the bloom was off the TSR rose. Saw it at the comic book shop, I believe, but never met anyone who owned a copy. I'd be more interested if it were based off the TV series. :shade:

I assumed it was repeated for emphasis.

Never played Buck Rogers. It came out during a time when I wasn't buying any new games, I think. Had pretty much all the TSR games I needed and the bloom was off the TSR rose. Saw it at the comic book shop, I believe, but never met anyone who owned a copy. I'd be more interested if it were based off the TV series. :shade:
I got it because I was an older Buck Fan (having been exposed to a few of the early strips), it wasn't what I expected that was the BR: High Adventure Cliffhangers or whatever.

I got it because I was an older Buck Fan (having been exposed to a few of the early strips), it wasn't what I expected that was the BR: High Adventure Cliffhangers or whatever.
I never read the comic strip or the original novel. I always thought Flash Gordon was much cooler! I'd still try the Buck Rogers RPG if someone ran it, though.

I never read the comic strip or the original novel. I always thought Flash Gordon was much cooler! I'd still try the Buck Rogers RPG if someone ran it, though.
I've read the original for it. It's surprisingly interesting. People claim racism because of the Han, but the second book seems to point out they're part alien because other Chinese folk fight them. I don't know if he always intended that or wrote it in response to the first novel. Can't ask the author, alas.

Never read Flash Gordon.

I've read the original for it. It's surprisingly interesting. People claim racism because of the Han, but the second book seems to point out they're part alien because other Chinese folk fight them. I don't know if he always intended that or wrote it in response to the first novel. Can't ask the author, alas.

Never read Flash Gordon.
power-men1.jpg

I have the first bunch of collections Titan Books reprinted a while back, just the Alex Raymond years. Pretty sure they go for big bucks now but if you can find them cheap, they're the best adventure comic strip of all time.

XXVc was really cool and never got a fair shake. I ran it twice but never got a second session. I liked the skill system and generally hold it up as the best itteration of the non-weapon proficiency concept. At least the thief wasn't a better blacksmith than pickpocket. I didn't really like the damages as applied to vehicles and characters but at least they explained that the rocket didn't directly hit the character, they just got caught in the blast.

XXVc was really cool and never got a fair shake. I ran it twice but never got a second session. I liked the skill system and generally hold it up as the best itteration of the non-weapon proficiency concept. At least the thief wasn't a better blacksmith than pickpocket. I didn't really like the damages as applied to vehicles and characters but at least they explained that the rocket didn't directly hit the character, they just got caught in the blast.
I'd love to get a chance to play the game, myself.

Sadly never had the chance.

I was never particularly exposed to Buck Rogers as I kid, so I wasn't very knowledgeable about it or a fan. But I did get to play the video game (I think I rented it out for a console, but don't recall) and got caught up with it. Then later tried to get the TTRPG, cuz I wanted to try out a sci-fi version of AD&D 2e, but never found it. It might have already been out of print by then, but was one of those games I wanted to try, but could never get.

It's also a game that will never be reprinted or available in pdf due to license issues.

Anyhow, the one game, the players wanted a ship so I let them find a partially burried Lady Jane Grey class frieghter they had to dig out and repair. The other they were fleeing Ram Terrines through an appartment block and the one character ducked into a doorway that popped open ahead of him to be confronted by a red headed space babe who squealled, "My very own space hero, I'm going to love him and hug him and keep him forever!" I've never seen C'thulhu scare a player so badly. Next closest was a PC in a fantasy game who seduced a peasant girl who said, "We're going ot have so many beautiful children," in the middle of the act.

Never read Flash Gordon.
As we're talking Flash Gordon, the film was amazing; and there was the cartoon too.
The first series of Buck Rogers was amazing, the second series not so much.

I had never heard of the "High Adventure Cliffhangers" version before:

"This new Buck Rogers role-playing game was a return to the themes of the original Buck Rogers comic strips. This game included biplanes and interracial warfare, as opposed to the space combat of the earlier Buck Rogers XXVC game. There were only a few expansion modules created for High-Adventure Cliffhangers. Shortly afterward, the game was discontinued, and the production of Buck Rogers RPGs and games came to an end. This game was neither widely advertised nor very popular. There were only two published products: the box set, and "War Against the Han"."

Ah yes, a welcome return to interracial warfare indeed.

/snark mode off, this actually sounds kind of fun.

The pulp Buck Rogers game actually got good reviews. But as for the license "Buck Rogers" as my one friend's girlfriend put it, "it makes me think of picking my nose." It's a bit like the reputation / trouble the Boy Scouts had in the eighties, utterly uncool. Sounds like somebody played "Whispering Campaign" on a zero power group.

As we're talking Flash Gordon, the film was amazing; and there was the cartoon too.
The first series of Buck Rogers was amazing, the second series not so much.
Generally agreed. I love the Flash film, so wonderful and cheezy and it did everything so very right. Loved the first season of the Buck TV series, hate the second--as a kid it was generally the reverse, but I realize how good the first season was now.

Having run several campaigns in the last few years while writing Overlords of Dimension-25, I can point out these flaws:

Its definitely a game from the early Nineties. There are too many skills and a lot of the skills are poorly defined or overlap with each other. I tried to tighten up some of the skills for Overlords, but if I were to completely overhaul the game I'd have 16-20 skills MAX. Who needs a skill for Composition??

Your skill percentages are way too low at the start of the game - a holdover from the thief skill percentages from the AD&D 2e roots.
If I were to completely overhaul the game, I'd double the starting skill percentages.

The Rocket Jock class, as written, has no bearing on space combat.
I added optional rules in the space combat section to incorporate Rocket Jock class skills.

One-minute rounds, a holdover from its AD&D 2e roots, just feel so weird for a sci-fi game.
I changed the default to 10-second rounds and adjusted the movement rates accordingly.

The length/width of rockets are nonsensical when compared to the mass of rockets.
I adjusted this in Overlords to a more logarithmic scale using a complex excel formula.

The first aid/medical skills, as written, have no restrictions. A medic can heal unlimited times per day!
I added rules in Overlords to restrict medical skills: A successful Treat Light Wounds skill test will instantly restore 1d8 hit points lost to physical damage. Once successfully treated, a character cannot benefit from another Treat Light Wounds for an hour.

The XP rules are pretty nebulous.
Experience Point Awards for Mission Success
Successfully completing the primary objective 1000
Successfully completing a secondary objective 750

Is that for the entire group and split up or for each character? That's never explained in the original.

Otherwise, it's D&D in space. Roll a d20, if it hits roll your damage, subtract from hit points. Its fun and accessible.

I added many optional rules to combat in Overlords of Dimension-25 such as:
  • d20 initiative
  • persistent initiative
  • Attacks of Opportunity and Withdrawing
  • Ascending Armor Class and Attack Bonus
  • Nonlethal attacks (adapted AD&D 2e rules)
  • Firing into Melee
  • Careful Aim
  • Thrown grenade attacks and deviation rules
  • Saving Throws vs 20
  • Alternative "dying" rules for 0 HP.
  • Rocket jock skill rolls for maneuvers
  • rules for high-G maneuvers
  • Conversion rate for vehicle/rocket hit points and character hit points
  • d20-based skill rolls vs. a target of 20 instead of percentile.
But, and I'll be brutally honest, if I were to choose a d20-based OSR-style system for sci-fi, I'd choose Stars Without Number.

Ooh, I should probably write up conversion notes for Overlords-to-SWN.

But... but it's pulp!
A Martian Battler, with a length of 10,000 feet, let me repeat that - a TEN THOUSAND FOOT TALL ROCKET, that is 2,500 feet wide, has a mass, RAW, of 5000 tons.

A fully-loaded rocket that is nearly two miles tall and half-a-mile wide, with a mass of 5000 tons.

And remember, the XXVc game isn't especially pulp. It tries to be much more Expanse-style hard-science. No artificial gravity, vertical skyscraper deck arrangement, turn-and-burn for acceleration and deceleration, etc.

It all stems from the rule that says a rocket's length = twice its weight in tons and its width = 1/2 its weight in tons. Its very much a relic of Mike Pondsmith not understanding the square-cube-law and how much things should realistically weigh - which goes back to Mekton II.

A Martian Battler, with a length of 10,000 feet, let me repeat that - a TEN THOUSAND FOOT TALL ROCKET, that is 2,500 feet wide, has a mass, RAW, of 5000 tons.

A fully-loaded rocket that is nearly two miles tall and half-a-mile wide, with a mass of 5000 tons.

And remember, the XXVc game isn't especially pulp. It tries to be much more Expanse-style hard-science. No artificial gravity, vertical skyscraper deck arrangement, turn-and-burn for acceleration and deceleration, etc.

It all stems from the rule that says a rocket's length = twice its weight in tons and its width = 1/2 its weight in tons. Its very much a relic of Mike Pondsmith not understanding the square-cube-law and how much things should realistically weigh - which goes back to Mekton II.
Yeah, I just run it like a rocket ship game. We had fun.

Yeah, I just run it like a rocket ship game. We had fun.

Yeah, same here. It's a nitpicky detail that never comes up in the game and has no bearing on gameplay or mechanics.

My personal challenge was to run it pulp-STYLE but still trying to maintain the hard science. I wanted to create a pulp sci fi setting with the real-world physics and astronomy that XXVC espoused.

Yeah, same here. It's a nitpicky detail that never comes up in the game and has no bearing on gameplay or mechanics.

My personal challenge was to run it pulp-STYLE but still trying to maintain the hard science. I wanted to create a pulp sci fi setting with the real-world physics and astronomy that XXVC espoused.
I have your game. I liked it. Not run it yet.

So, I'm not going to do a big multiquote rebuttal. But the skill percentages are multiplied and divided by difficulty levels. so you can just do easy tasks a lot at low levels.

I actually use one minute rounds and second by second exchanges in Galaxies In Shadow because big fast moving vehicles just need room to maneuver. Unrestricted uses of high tech medical skills may just be limited by the number of bandages in the first aid kit as they are in Star Frontiers or they may be a design choice to get rid of the 15 minute adventuring day.

There's no such thing as too many skills.

I'd be down for trying to get an Overlords game running using a VTT and Discord in a few weeks.
That sound pretty awesome. Not familiar with the game or setting. Is this sword & planet along the lines of Flash Gordon and John Carter? Or more sci fi?

So, I'm not going to do a big multiquote rebuttal. But the skill percentages are multiplied and divided by difficulty levels. so you can just do easy tasks a lot at low levels.

I actually use one minute rounds and second by second exchanges in Galaxies In Shadow because big fast moving vehicles just need room to maneuver. Unrestricted uses of high tech medical skills may just be limited by the number of bandages in the first aid kit as they are in Star Frontiers or they may be a design choice to get rid of the 15 minute adventuring day.

There's no such thing as too many skills.
What is Galaxies in Shadow? Great title.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back