D&D 5e SRD 5.2 under CC-BY Announced.

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
The reasoning I recall at the advent of 3.0 was to give the players time to comprehend and internalize each book as it was released before the next one was dropped. Then 3.5 just dropped all at once.

I reiterate the best method to do that is to use all three books together.
Or play a game that doesn’t need three books :wink:

A real concern cited by WotC for the staggered release is that their printer literally can’t handle an order of several hundred thousand copies (or more) all at once, so they need to spread them out a bit for that reason alone. That was also likely a factor in the staggered releases of 2E, 3.0, and 5E (3.5 and 4E probably didn’t have as big initial print runs). Of course 1E is the exception in that Gygax didn’t really start writing the PH until the MM was out, and the same with the DMG, which is why you can see substantial changes in the rules between the three volumes that are still confusing and frustrating people 45 years later.

4E had a bigger initial print run than 3E. It was originally intended as a release staggered over three months, but then changed to a simultaneous release, delaying the PHB by one month and pulling forward the DMG.

4E had a bigger initial print run than 3E. It was originally intended as a release staggered over three months, but then changed to a simultaneous release, delaying the PHB by one month and pulling forward the DMG.
I loved the slipcase format, too.

Because you'll be waiting a couple of months for the DMG and then another three or more for the Monster Manual. I'm sure you'll be able to use it after a fashion, but if the rules are as linked as they imply above then it's stopgap at best.
Ahhh just like the good ole' days of AD&D, Monster Manual, then PHB, then after way too long the DMG. :smile:

It appears they're going to be putting a very large serving of crow on my plate next year-- I'm not going to be expressing any further misgivings on the topic, but I'm not actually going to start doing the mea culpa dance until they actually follow through.

You'd rather they lock things in via the SRD before they've actually finalized the content itself?

Also keep in mind that just because something appeared in a playtest document it doesn't mean it will appear in the final rules in the same form.
Due to publisher lead times etc, the content has been finalised since late last year at the absolute latest.

While I agree that simultaneous releases are great. They're not as needed if, in fact, the new version is backwards compatible with the existing 5e books.

There are now three 5e related SRDs from various publishers...

1. WotC - Dungeons & Dragons 5.x
2. Kobold Press - Black Flag/Tales of the Valiant
3. ENPublishing - Advanced 5e/A5e

I wonder if we'll see a few more in the coming months. For those that don't want to support WotC... there are options to continue playing 5e with the serial numbers filed off.
Cubicle 7 is doing one as well, and I might just start a bogus rumour here that Free League is as well, it'll sit nicely with their LOTR line
Heh heh

Point is that the D&D 5E structure will be out in the wild for years, and may well end up being the defining rules structure for D&D

I suspect WotC knows this, so any major carrots for people wont be primarily game mechanics anymore; it'll be all the merch and digital platform bloat and subscription service

WoTC can’t win, “We are putting our new rules out as a SRD online and it will be under Creative Commons for folks to use!”

RPG Pub:

View attachment 81807

OGLgate was only like a year ago wasn't it? They haven't exactly done anything to get back into our good graces.

Nobody holds a grudge like a geek

Cubicle 7 is doing one as well, and I might just start a bogus rumour here that Free League is as well, it'll sit nicely with their LOTR line
Heh heh

Point is that the D&D 5E structure will be out in the wild for years, and may well end up being the defining rules structure for D&D

I suspect WotC knows this, so any major carrots for people wont be primarily game mechanics anymore; it'll be all the merch and digital platform bloat and subscription service
There is also Pelgrane Press' 13th Age 2E crowdfunding right now.

OGLgate was only like a year ago wasn't it? They have exactly done anything to get back into our good graces.

Nobody holds a grudge like a geek
Actually, they've delved deeper...:thumbsup:

Well as it turns out they just fucked some of their biggest supporters on D&D Beyond who liked buying D&D 5e options a la carte

View attachment 81965
And no longer giving digital early access

View attachment 81966
...but some people are in a hurry to forgive them::honkhonk:!

It's like they're competing with GW to see who can be the bigger dicks to their customers
My money is on WotC. GW have the home advantage, and the know-how, but the WotC team are a new contender, and they're hungry for this title...:grin:

What's the log part:shock:?

I feel there's a joke I'm missing, here...:crygoose:

I'm just waiting until everybody sees the new rulebooks then catches up to where I've been for roughly two years now, calling this 2024-2025 version of D&D "6th edition". A while after that WotC will follow suit. They didn't want to call 4E D&D "4th edition" and didn't want to call 5E D&D "5th edition". Eventually they relented. 6E will be no different. Mark my words.

I'm also waiting for everyone to latch on to the completely new and unique idea of it being the "last edition of D&D". I've only heard that for 2.5 D&D editions now, and a bonus edition of Pathfinder.

My response in all cases: "First time?"

:wink:

Typo - was meant to be Pavlov, as in 'Pavlov's Dog' behavioural experiment
I know Pavlov, learned the experiment in high school. But I thought you're changing it to "log" to make an allusion I'm missing...:grin:

No joke - just a mistake!
I realised it wasn't exactly what I was meaning, so I deleted it

Well...I thought I did, heh heh
By the Swo, that makes me feel better:thumbsup:!

I guess I had it copied already, though...:tongue:

And back on topic, to get on our good sides, WotC should do better. What we've seen is them doing worse:gooseshades:.

I still occasionally gripe about their 110% 'fuck you' errata for the last 3.5e book.

Was that the Encyclopedia?
The 'book of 9 swords/tome of battle' one. Where after two sentances it cuts off and becomes the errata for 'complete mage'. Obviously some simple copy/paste or wrong file issue, but they never said anything and never fixed it.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back