D&D 5e SRD 5.2 under CC-BY Announced.

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

robertsconley

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
From Here

The team has been hard at work on the 2024 revised and expanded core rulebooks: the updated Player's Handbook (Sept 2024), Dungeon Master's Guide (Nov 2024), and Monster Manual (Feb 2025). Today, we're thrilled to announce the expansion of the fifth edition Systems Reference Document (SRD 5.2), which will include updated content from the 2024 core rulebooks and be made available under Creative Commons License.

In 2016, two years after the debut of Dungeons & Dragons fifth edition, we released the accompanying SRD 5.1, allowing our amazing community of creators to publish content compatible with the game. We're proud to report that SRD 5.2 will be released within weeks of the release of the 2025 Monster Manual!

What is the SRD?

The Systems Reference Document is a guide containing the core rules of D&D, including classes and monsters. It is intended to serve as the foundation for your fifth edition D&D-compatible creations.

What's going to be in SRD 5.2?

SRD 5.2 is an update to SRD 5.1, modernizing that content for the 2024 rules revision. It's a massive update!

SRD 5.2 will provide revised rules at the same scope as 5.1. Creators will have the tools they need to create content using the revised and expanded ruleset. It will not, however, include lore references. If you want to create content within the settings of Dungeons & Dragons, DMsGuild is the place for you!

What is Creative Commons?

Creative Commons is a nonprofit that writes open-source licenses. These licenses are standardized, widely accepted, and trusted around the world. The CC-BY-4.0 license we chose to use is also irrevocable and Wizards can't modify it. You can read more on the Creative Commons website.

When SRD 5.2 releases, will I still have access to the original SRD 5.1?

Yes, SRD 5.2 will be a separate document from 5.1. You can continue to create content, as you wish, using SRD 5.1.

Why wait to release SRD 5.2 until after the 2024 core rulebooks have been released?

SRD 5.2 will contain information from all three revised core rulebooks, as they each work with one another. We don't want to release an incomplete document to creators.

If you wanted to create a subclass, for example, balancing it would require you to understand not only how classes have changed in the 2024 Player's Handbook but how monsters may have changed in the 2025 Monster Manual. And if you wanted to create a campaign setting, having information from all three core rulebooks would be important.

All that said, it's important that we wait until all the books have made it into our players' hands to release the SRD into Creative Commons.

Why is it called SRD 5.2 (and not 5.1.x or 6.0)?

This new SRD still encompasses the fifth edition ruleset, just with key updates from the 2024 core rulebooks. SRD 5.2 will remain compatible with existing products.

Will SRD 5.2 be localized like 5.1 was?

Yes! We intend to localize SRD 5.2, and it will be released in each language we support following the release of all three core rulebooks in those languages. Keep an eye out for future news on this effort!

What about the SRDs for previous editions?

Because we still need to complete reviews on those materials before they're released into Creative Commons, we made the decision to wait until after the 2024 rules revisions were released to begin reviews of those documents.

From Here

The team has been hard at work on the 2024 revised and expanded core rulebooks: the updated Player's Handbook (Sept 2024), Dungeon Master's Guide (Nov 2024), and Monster Manual (Feb 2025). Today, we're thrilled to announce the expansion of the fifth edition Systems Reference Document (SRD 5.2), which will include updated content from the 2024 core rulebooks and be made available under Creative Commons License.

In 2016, two years after the debut of Dungeons & Dragons fifth edition, we released the accompanying SRD 5.1, allowing our amazing community of creators to publish content compatible with the game. We're proud to report that SRD 5.2 will be released within weeks of the release of the 2025 Monster Manual!

What is the SRD?

The Systems Reference Document is a guide containing the core rules of D&D, including classes and monsters. It is intended to serve as the foundation for your fifth edition D&D-compatible creations.

What's going to be in SRD 5.2?

SRD 5.2 is an update to SRD 5.1, modernizing that content for the 2024 rules revision. It's a massive update!

SRD 5.2 will provide revised rules at the same scope as 5.1. Creators will have the tools they need to create content using the revised and expanded ruleset. It will not, however, include lore references. If you want to create content within the settings of Dungeons & Dragons, DMsGuild is the place for you!

What is Creative Commons?

Creative Commons is a nonprofit that writes open-source licenses. These licenses are standardized, widely accepted, and trusted around the world. The CC-BY-4.0 license we chose to use is also irrevocable and Wizards can't modify it. You can read more on the Creative Commons website.

When SRD 5.2 releases, will I still have access to the original SRD 5.1?

Yes, SRD 5.2 will be a separate document from 5.1. You can continue to create content, as you wish, using SRD 5.1.

Why wait to release SRD 5.2 until after the 2024 core rulebooks have been released?

SRD 5.2 will contain information from all three revised core rulebooks, as they each work with one another. We don't want to release an incomplete document to creators.

If you wanted to create a subclass, for example, balancing it would require you to understand not only how classes have changed in the 2024 Player's Handbook but how monsters may have changed in the 2025 Monster Manual. And if you wanted to create a campaign setting, having information from all three core rulebooks would be important.

All that said, it's important that we wait until all the books have made it into our players' hands to release the SRD into Creative Commons.

Why is it called SRD 5.2 (and not 5.1.x or 6.0)?

This new SRD still encompasses the fifth edition ruleset, just with key updates from the 2024 core rulebooks. SRD 5.2 will remain compatible with existing products.

Will SRD 5.2 be localized like 5.1 was?

Yes! We intend to localize SRD 5.2, and it will be released in each language we support following the release of all three core rulebooks in those languages. Keep an eye out for future news on this effort!

What about the SRDs for previous editions?

Because we still need to complete reviews on those materials before they're released into Creative Commons, we made the decision to wait until after the 2024 rules revisions were released to begin reviews of those documents.
That last bullet point is interesting.

WoTC can’t win, “We are putting our new rules out as a SRD online and it will be under Creative Commons for folks to use!”

RPG Pub:

View attachment 81807
The SRD is a fine idea, I applaud it. Having to wait six months to actually use the PHB after its released is nonsense. Releasing the SRD after the all the books come out isn't helping at all.

The SRD is a fine idea, I applaud it. Having to wait six months to actually use the PHB after its released is nonsense. Releasing the SRD after the all the books come out isn't helping at all.
Yeah, this:thumbsup:.

Well, creatively, a lot of what Wizards has shown has been change for the sake of change. However the system remains 5e.

For example the Druid from Playtest 8
1715085473847.png

The Druid from the current version of 5e.

1715085564724.png

In essence, what we have been shown so far amounts to a house-ruled version of the original 2014 release. But it is not a fundamentally different system so the 2014 Monster Manual will do just fine with the 2024 Players Handbook.

Also, keep in mind that this was the original release schedule from 2014.
  • July 3rd: D&D Starter Set released at WPN retailers.
  • July: WizKids' Dungeons & Dragons Fantasy Miniatures Starter Set Heroes released.
  • July 15th: D&D Starter Set released at non-WPN retailers.
  • August 8th: D&D Player's Handbook and Hoard of the Dragon Queen released at WPN retailers.
  • August: WizKids' Dungeons & Dragons Fantasy Miniatures Set One Standard Booster released.
  • August 14th: Tyranny of Dragons launches for Cryptic Studios' Neverwinter.
  • August 14-17th: Gen Con (Hoard of the Dragon Queen and D&D Player's Handbook sold there).
  • August 19th: Hoard of the Dragon Queen and D&D Player's Handbook released at non-WPN retailers.
  • September 30: D&D Monster Manual released at non-WPN retailers.
  • October 21: Rise of Tiamat released at non-WPN retailers.
  • November 18: Dungeon Master's Guide released at non-WPN retailers.
As for the previous editions, they did release all three for D&D 3.5 (July 2003) and D&D 4e. (June 6th 2007). But D&D 3.0 was staggered as well with the PHB in August, 2000. DMG in September, 2000. And the MM in October, 2000.

Last edited:

You'd rather they lock things in via the SRD before they've actually finalized the content itself?

Also keep in mind that just because something appeared in a playtest document it doesn't mean it will appear in the final rules in the same form.

Last edited:
You'd rather they lock things in via the SRD before they've actually finalized the content itself?

Also keep in mind that just because something appeared in a playtest document it doesn't mean it will already in the final rules in the same form.
No, I'd just rather not wait 6 months to use the Players handbook because of their wonky release schedule. I do think they should have the rules for monsters locked in before they finalize the PHB though. If their excuse is that's it's still in the design phase then the PHB and even the DMG could easily end up needing revision themselves. It's just dumb. Their public statements seem contradictory and their release schedule is ridiculous. Hopefully the game itself will be great.

How will you not be able to use the PHB due to the updated SRD not being out?

How will you not be able to use the PHB due to the updated SRD not being out?
Because you'll be waiting a couple of months for the DMG and then another three or more for the Monster Manual. I'm sure you'll be able to use it after a fashion, but if the rules are as linked as they imply above then it's stopgap at best.

Ahh, I see. I'm guessing you've bought into the notion that this is a completely different version of the game as opposed to some tweaks and revisions to the version that's been out for 10 years.

Ahh, I see. I'm guessing you've bought into the notion that this is a completely different version of the game as opposed to some tweaks and revisions to the version that's been out for 10 years.
Ahh, I see that you think pretending I'm a fucking idiot will help you make some kind of point. If that floats your boat. :thumbsup:

I'm, making fun of them because either the books are fully compatible with current materials and thus useable right away or they are intrinsically linked mechanically which is why the SRD has to wait until they are are finalized and published as they stated above. They don't get to have it both ways.

Because you'll be waiting a couple of months for the DMG and then another three or more for the Monster Manual. I'm sure you'll be able to use it after a fashion, but if the rules are as linked as they imply above then it's stopgap at best.
I think your overreacting. An noted above when AD&D came out it too was staggered and mechanically different but still largely compatible. I think 5e+ is going to be similar. Close enough you can use it right away with old books but different. I could play a AD&D paladin with Holmes basic.

Well, I'm happy anyway that they are going to release the SRD fairly soon after the books and in CC licensing. I don't anticipate buying the new edition--I haven't bought a new edition of D&D in decades--but that will give me access to the rules if I get involved in a game.

I think what happened between 3.0 and 3.5 is instructive. In hindsight, were the differences that consequential? Probably not, but it didn't stop the hobby from thinking anything 3.0 was obsolete and thus useless when 3.5 was released.

I think your overreacting. An noted above when AD&D came out it too was staggered and mechanically different but still largely compatible. I think 5e+ is going to be similar. Close enough you can use it right away with old books but different. I could play a AD&D paladin with Holmes basic.
Not really, I won't be buying it. I just find their muddle of public statements amusing. On the one hand they are completely compatible, on the other hand you need the MM to understand subclass changes. Shenanigans! I am aware that the new rules are designed to incorporate 5e materials and don't necessarily represent an entirely new edition. I just find their comments about the SRD amusingly inconsistent with that. If I need the new MM in order to make my own subclass or, more specifically, understand the mechanical balance needed, then the rules obviously aren't that similar. Or are they? Who knows, its the WotC bullshit lottery, wheee!

Right now we have for staggered releases:
AD&D 1e, D&D 3.0, and D&D 5.0

For simultaneous releases we had
OD&D, AD&D 2e, D&D 3.5, and D&D 4e.

That you need a monster manual in order to design subclass for classes is a horseshit idea. I don't know where the source of this to understand the context of their statement on that. But I am guessing it has to do with the lingering 4e mentality of fantasy superheroes and battle boards.

Sure, it is plausible they could design the kewl powers of a subclass and the monster kewl powers into an intricate dance of attack, defense, and counter-attack, giving boardgamers a wet dream. But as a 3rd party, it is equally viable to say, I focus more on the roleplaying side of things and having things make sense for a setting. Obviously, you are not going to get fans from the boardgamers, and organized play hobbyists, but then again, were they your audience to begin with?

And if your goal as a third-party publisher is to cater to the boardgaming side of things, well the situation may suck but then again how much of the CC-BY side of things ever catered to this part of the 5e hobby? My observation is that we see far more of this in the DMSGuild and those who write for organized play.

Those that use the OGL or CC-BY tend to try to create their own ecosystem of fantasy superheroics as they don't have access to the entire rules in the way that Organized Play and DMsGuild authors do.

So, given what we have seen so far of D&D 2024, how much of this is going to be a problem?

Right now we have for staggered releases:
AD&D 1e, D&D 3.0, and D&D 5.0

For simultaneous releases we had
OD&D, AD&D 2e, D&D 3.5, and D&D 4e.
No, 2E was staggered, though only by 1-2 months per release (and the core monsters were split between 2 Monstrous Compendia). 4E was going to be staggered, but then turned into a simultaneous release.

I wonder if part of the reason for the SRD delay is because WotC is still smarting from WW's Creature Collection beating the Monster Manual to shelves back in 2000...

No, 2E was staggered, though only by 1-2 months per release (and the core monsters were split between 2 Monstrous Compendia).

Nothing to add, just wanted to say that my recollection is AD&D2e was staggered over the summer of 1989. My recollection was the PHB hit shelves, then the DMG the next month, and then the first Monstrous Compendium a month after that. I don't recall how long Vol 2 of the Monstrous Compendium took., but at worst it was maybe only two months later. The DLE Dragonlance modules were being released concurrently, and I think the first one was released either a couple of weeks or a full month before the PHB.

The AD&D 2E release was definitely staggered, PHB first, DMG a month or so later, and the first MC binder a couple months after that (IIRC it had a small production delay). Modules with 2E trade dress but de facto 1E stats started being released before any of the rulebooks were out, including the ones where you play through the rules changes (WG8 and FRE1-3, where they tried to explain in-setting why there are no more monks or assassins, why gunpowder works now, etc).

This update actually has me back to neutral on WotC. While I am still unlikely to buy the new books, the moves they are making are rebuilding a little bit of trust (unlikely to be ever fully regained…this is the fourth time I am aware of these shenanigans by TSR/WotC)

Good WotC…they should be praised when they actually do something right

This update actually has me back to neutral on WotC. While I am still unlikely to buy the new books, the moves they are making are rebuilding a little bit of trust (unlikely to be ever fully regained…this is the fourth time I am aware of these shenanigans by TSR/WotC)

Good WotC…they should be praised when they actually do something right
I find this post disturbing, and the two statements I bolded to be contradictory:gooseshades:!

While I agree that simultaneous releases are great. They're not as needed if, in fact, the new version is backwards compatible with the existing 5e books.

There are now three 5e related SRDs from various publishers...

1. WotC - Dungeons & Dragons 5.x
2. Kobold Press - Black Flag/Tales of the Valiant
3. ENPublishing - Advanced 5e/A5e

I wonder if we'll see a few more in the coming months. For those that don't want to support WotC... there are options to continue playing 5e with the serial numbers filed off.

I find this post disturbing, and the two statements I bolded to be contradictory:gooseshades:!
Not really, the only way to change behavior is to praise the desired behavior and punish the undesired behavior. Maybe they will finally learn, but I’m still not putting my hand near the dog’s mouth

Not really, the only way to change behavior is to praise the desired behavior and punish the undesired behavior. Maybe they will finally learn, but I’m still not putting my hand near the dog’s mouth
Yes, but there's also such a thing as punishing too lightly, and rewarding too soon:thumbsup:.

I mean, obviously 4e had to be a simultaneous release, cause there was no way you could have played that game with 3.x monsters or something like that.

No reason this edition can't be a staggered release, as it seems to just be 5.5e.

The 3.0 staggered release was way more nonsensical.

I mean, obviously 4e had to be a simultaneous release, cause there was no way you could have played that game with 3.x monsters or something like that.

No reason this edition can't be a staggered release, as it seems to just be 5.5e.

The 3.0 staggered release was way more nonsensical.
The reasoning I recall at the advent of 3.0 was to give the players time to comprehend and internalize each book as it was released before the next one was dropped. Then 3.5 just dropped all at once.

I reiterate the best method to do that is to use all three books together.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back