First impressions on testing Vampire: the Masquerade 5th edition

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Have you seen the offending section? Honestly, it was a tempest in a teacup. I'm not saying it wasn't clunky and even a bit bad taste. But it only gained traction because some people were looking for reasons to hate V5 already. I've said elsewhere that if it had appeared in an Arc Dream game nobody would have batted an eyelid.
That is my impression, as well. I see how it oculd have been written better, and it's unlikely I would use it in my games, but it was nothing to call home about.

I'm always glad to hear when some tries out a new edition or a new playstyle for the first time and hear what they have today about it. I apologize if I hijacked your thread with my grumblings.
No, please, you have been absolutely polite IMO, no problem with you giving a different opinion. You are welcome.

There is some types of campaign I think V20 does do better. Partly because V5 has a much tighter design focus. Which I've come to prefer these days, but a lot of people like toolkits.

What I think V20 is better suited for, at least currently:

Elder campaigns.

Sabbat campaigns.

Gonzo anything goes games.

V5 is better at:

Anarch campaigns.

Locally focused campaigns.

Horror in general.

What neither are good at:

Action adventure.
This is very interesting. I think you are on to something.

T Trippy , I didn't know that Anarch and Camarilla were going to be discontinued. Even if they're not essential (and they're not), at least you should be able to find the mechanics information (new clans & disciplines, loresheets and the like) somewhere. Any word on that?

Imperator said:
I didn't know that Anarch and Camarilla were going to be discontinued. Even if they're not essential (and they're not), at least you should be able to find the mechanics information (new clans & disciplines, loresheets and the like) somewhere. Any word on that?
The Camarilla and Anarch books were part of the scehdule for the White Wolf team before they were dissolved. When Modiphius took over, they chose to replace the White Wolf development plans with their own, including their own new schedule of releases - although they were committed to fulfilling existing orders. I'd imagine that various bits of information will end up resurfacing in other supplements in time.

OK, I'll check Modiphius website and see if I find some schedule. OTOH, Onyx Path is also developing books like Chicago, correct?

OK, I'll check Modiphius website and see if I find some schedule. OTOH, Onyx Path is also developing books like Chicago, correct?
Yes - and The Onyx Path should also be releasing other V5 supplements in the future too. Modiphius is set to release a Players' Guide (which will outline alternative forms of play), A Starter Box set, a supplement for The Second Inquisition and a London By Night sourcebook.

Well, lots of goodness coming this way, it seems. Onyx Path:

• Chicago by Night 5th Edition: Chicago lies at the center of the web that is the American heartland. Tendrils of power, wealth, and reward stretch outward, ensnaring the selfish, greedy, and unwary. Yet, Chicago attracts its predators, too. Creatures that would have the city for their own, spinning their own webs of malice and intrigue. But among the city’s towering skyscrapers and wind-swept streets, who is the spider and who is the fly? This updated edition of White Wolf’s best-selling city book will be Onyx Path Publishing’s first Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition supplement.
  • Cults of the Blood Gods: Religious aspects of the Vampire setting. The Church of Caine (aka Cainite Heresy), Bahari, and the Hecata, the cult/clan of death (Giovanni, Harbingers of Skulls, Samedi, and Cappadocians).
  • Stretch Goals:
    • [V5 Chicago] Chicago Folio: An in-character artifact book compiling diary entries, transcripts, emails, and other treasures to use in the course of a V5 chronicle. Includes the Camarilla Record, the Anarch Accounts, Independent and Mortal Perspectives, and Heretical Threats and Observations.
    • [V5 Chicago] Let the Streets Run Red: Set in and around the Chicago and Midwest area, incorporating characters absent from V5 Chicago by Night and exploring the activities of Indianapolis, Milwaukee, and the rural Illinois, Wisconsin, and Indiana areas. Include a Chicago chronicle, a weird/rural Illinois chronicle, a Milwaukee and Indianapolis chronicle, and a fourth chronicle to be revealed.
And Modiphius:

Modiphius plans to produce a host of exciting new releases to expand the range for new and old players alike including:

The Fall of London V5 Chronicle (Summer 2019) – London is burning. As the Second Inquisition put the city's Kindred to the torch, your characters wake from torpor. The sensible thing would be to flee now, but before you can leave the capital, you have one last job to do... This campaign is perfect to bring your Vampire players up to speed on the plot developments in Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition or as as a gateway for new players.

V5 Players Guide (Summer 2019) – A guide to playing different styles of Vampire: The Masquerade to help you play the way YOU want to play, from gritty street level drama to romantic blood opera, complete with advice, new rules, and guidance on using the 5th Edition system to play previous editions of Vampire..

V5 Starter Set - (Christmas 2019) - An introductory starter set containing rules to play a self-contained campaign, with premade characters, handouts, maps, tokens and dice.

The Second Inquisition (Summer 2020) – Discover the plans, strategies, resources, and technologies of the highly secret organisations charged with investigating and eliminating the vampire threat, including Firstlight and the Society of St. Leopold.. This supplement for V5 will give Storytellers everything they need to know about these feared and fearless organisations to provide all manner of covert opposition for your Chronicle, along with advice for Storytellers who want to run chronicles featuring player characters as a well-equipped covert team of Second Inquisition operatives.

I am officially a happy gamer.

I'm still going to run Vampire as an Action-Adventure game just to spite the personal horror crowd.

It's high time we owned the Punks and put them in their place

I'm still going to run Vampire as an Action-Adventure game just to spite the personal horror crowd.

When does your campaign start? Running a sucessful action adventure campaign of VTM over a period of time would certainly be a way to prove your point.

I'm starting to think that 'Edgelord' is more accurate than 'Punk'; I believe that personal horror can be done well in some cases, but I despise people who use it as an excuse to feel superior to others.

When does your campaign start? Running a sucessful action adventure campaign of VTM over a period of time would certainly be a way to prove your point.

Yes, much as I am Sammy's friend, I really want him to actually run a campaign and keep it going.

I'm starting to think that 'Edgelord' is more accurate than 'Punk'; I believe that personal horror can be done well in some cases, but I despise people who use it as an excuse to feel superior to others.
Isn't using 'Edgelord' as a pejoritive just an excuse to feel superior to others?

Isn't using 'Edgelord' as a pejoritive just an excuse to feel superior to others?

What term would you recommend for the (hopefully fewer than expected) people who use the term 'Personal Horror' to puff themselves up, then?

Also, can we continue this in PMs? I don't normally request this, but there are people I don't want to name on this site that I need to talk about.

What term would you recommend for the (hopefully fewer than expected) people who use the term 'Personal Horror' to puff themselves up, then?

Also, can we continue this in PMs? I don't normally request this, but there are people I don't want to name on this site that I need to talk about.
I don't really feel the need to use any labels myself. The actual use of 'Edgelord', to me, is as unhelpful and loaded a term as the 'SJW' term it's frequently used in opposition to. If people are being annoying, just use terms that reflect that without being tribal, I guess.

Regarding the PMs…really? You can send me a PM if you like, and I will respond in the same terms of respect as is given, but I don't really see myself as a confidant for anything much particularly. The people who post on this site are a relaxed, sensible bunch.

I see I've got the PM now, so off I trot to read it….

Prove what point? That any RPG can be played any way the group wants, even beyond what the rules support?

Isn't this true to any RPG? I mean, it's make believe for adults. The limit is your imagination. :dice:

Prove what point? That any RPG can be played any way the group wants, even beyond what the rules support?

Isn't this true to any RPG? I mean, it's make believe for adults. The limit is your imagination. :dice:
Not really in my view.

There's nothing wrong in enjoying RPGs vicariously (it's what Critical Role is built on after all). But the relationship you have with the material when you run or play is entirely different.

Especially in terms of what works and what doesn't. That's the main thing I'm getting at here; using material in a campaign is an entirely different matter then treating RPGs as fiction. Both can be fun, but they give you very different things.

I'm sure most GMs on here have had the same experience I have. The one where a game or scenario looks great on paper but falls flat at the table.

(And while any game can be played beyond what the rules support it doesn't mean that they're all equally suitable to do so. You could use Gangbusters to run a cyberpunk setting, but it would take a massive amount of work to do so successfully. I'm not of the "system is everything" view popularised by the Forgies, but neither do I share the opposing perspective that system is entirely irrelevant to a successful game).

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back