Games you failed your saving throw against

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Forgive me for asking, but how come you bought them?

Was it a case of buying a set of books in a rush of enthusiasm and then have the horrible sinking feeling of realising you hated it? I could certainly understand that - I have a collector streak a mile wide.

Oh and while I'm here - I think I might be about to fail vs Legend of the Five Rings. Anyone got any tips for fending off the urge??
sorry, I have all the STARFINDER books, not Pathfinder books. and I bought them because I love the idea of mixing magic and technology.

as for L5R, I have the core book for 4th edition in hardcopy and the rest in PDF. 5th uses the weird genesys dice AND roll and keep, which doesn't make sense to me, so, I've avoided that. (although I've heard it has the least amount of John Wick involvement of any edition of L5R, and THAT appeals to me)

The recent Hellboy RPG, including the GM screen. I went in knowing it was going to be shit. They're still in the shrinkwrap.
I fell for it but was smart enough to sell mine unopened as soon as it arrived. Sadly that is the exception for me, I have many other games that I should have done the same with.

sorry, I have all the STARFINDER books, not Pathfinder books. and I bought them because I love the idea of mixing magic and technology.

as for L5R, I have the core book for 4th edition in hardcopy and the rest in PDF. 5th uses the weird genesys dice AND roll and keep, which doesn't make sense to me, so, I've avoided that. (although I've heard it has the least amount of John Wick involvement of any edition of L5R, and THAT appeals to me)
Wick hasn't been involved in any way with any L5R edition but the 1st. 4E is amazing if you like R&K.

30+ years. I have tons. Let's stick to ones I remember in the next few minutes. Most wont have explanations. I've tossed some long enough ago to not even remember explanations.

13th Age.

Call of Cthulhu. 4E or 5E. One of those.

Cortex anything (I pretty much owned it all at one point or another without playing any of it)

D&D5E. Seems like everyone failed their saving throw in this one. Also 3E and 4E(E)

Dungeon Crawl Classics. Though I don't hate the adventures.

Fate, specifically Dresden Files.

Fantasy AGE.

Free League: Several. Mork Borg, Blade Runner, Twilight 2000, maybe more

Indie: Several OG indie Forge games. Sorcerer, Dogs in the Vineyard, etc

L5R: 3E, 4E, 5E. That last one was a really really bad call of mine.

Mophidius: Few. Dune. Forbidden Lands

Mutants & Masterminds 3E. Also DC Adventures with the piss-poor stat blocks (literally the only reason to buy the books).

Over the Edge 3E, but I had the good sense to back out of the kickstarter after some of the PDF previews.

Seventh Sea 2E.

Swords & Wizardry Boxed Set edition. Such a badly made version.

Tome of Adventure Design 2E (I had the 1E and there isn't much difference)

WFRP4E. Also Zweihander. I like some 4E supplemental material though.

I like to think I learned of a lot of people to not buy games from. But it didn't always take lol.

Ironically, 5E is one of the three editions of D&D for which I've never bought the core books. The others are the original rules and Holmes Basic.

I stopped buying d&d during 3e, and only two from there anyways. Spelljammer & Dark Sun were my main d&d intrests and WotC has ignored them until recently when it half assed a single shit on Spelljammer.

When I read a phb and I'm going "thats a mechanical problem... thats a math screw up... where are the rules for this? we've always had at least guidelines... this chapter is organized like a sack of shit... thats obviously a best in class do no point in those other seven options...". That is an edition I don't buy. Which has been 4th & 5th so far, plus no evidence for another rewrite that could be any good on the horizon.

In a year os some I might get to play in a WHF 2e game because of WotC though. So that's good.

The big one for me is 3e D&D. I regret all the time I wasted trying to get myself to like 3e back in the day (I ran two campaigns, one 3.0 and one 3.5, and came to loathe using the system both times). (In contrast, while I've decided that I don't care for 5e D&D, I don't regret the campaign that I ran using it. It was fun overall. I didn't come to actively loathe 5e, I just came to find it disappointing and annoying in some respects.)

I also am not sure why I bothered getting Shadowdark, Shadow of the Demon Lord, and Low Fantasy Role-playing. I don't have anything against those systems, but I doubt I'll ever use them. (In contrast, Blacksword Hack, was a pleasant surprise.)

Yeah, "hate" is too strong a word. Its just that D&D 4e & 5e doesn't do anything better than several other games do, and often at a high price point.

If I'm going to need a "this is a bunch of add-ons & changes" booklet in addition to the base books I'd prefer something with less baggage snd better organization than the current D&Ds. Or I can just use the same ones I did for AD&D and 3e and run those instead of buying a new set of books and doing another rewrite.

Its less "hate" than "annoyed apathy".

Yeah, "hate" is too strong a word. Its just that D&D 4e & 5e doesn't do anything better than several other games do, and often at a high price point.

If I'm going to need a "this is a bunch of add-ons & changes" booklet in addition to the base books I'd prefer something with less baggage snd better organization than the current D&Ds. Or I can just use the same ones I did for AD&D and 3e and run those instead of buying a new set of books and doing another rewrite.

Its less "hate" than "annoyed apathy".
That's my stance on most editions after the first. I don't mind the second editions of Boot HIll and Gamma World, in Top Secret I prefer the Wrestling Value in first edition. I grew up on T&T 5E but honestly could be happy playing 1E. They seemed to have needlessly overcomplicated Warhammer Fantasy with the current edition. I supposed the changes to Savage Worlds make sense but I'm just as happy playing the Adventurer's Edition. I'm happy with OD&D, B/X or AD&D 1E for that game and even prefer the Legendary Edition of Barbarians of Lemuria. Maybe I'm just pigheaded...

Like GURPS and Palladium it is trendy to hate on 5E

That's not really a fair statement. I doubt anybody here dislikes (or hates) 5E because they think it is "trendy" to do so.

I ran a 5E game for 5 years because that's the system the players wanted to use. I gave it a very serious shot. In the end, though, I really just don't care for the system mechanics, for some pretty specific reasons, and would be very reluctant to use it again. Having played dozens of systems over the decades, I have a pretty good idea of what I do and don't like. I suspect that's true for most of us on this board.

That's not really a fair statement. I doubt anybody here dislikes (or hates) 5E because they think it is "trendy" to do so.
On this Forum? No, but it's ALWAYS been 'trendy' to bash WoTC. Yes, I will very much agree that they deserved it over the years, even more so NOW in the last 4-5, but that doesn't change that a lot of the time the WoTC hate is because people heard a pithy one liner and really liked it.

On this Forum? No, but it's ALWAYS been 'trendy' to bash WoTC. Yes, I will very much agree that they deserved it over the years, even more so NOW in the last 4-5, but that doesn't change that a lot of the time the WoTC hate is because people heard a pithy one liner and really liked it.
I fall under a generic disgust when I look at Hasbro/wotc. I actually like the core D&D 5e mechanics though. Your last line though makes me say... So what? Read the fucking room, we thrive here on pithy and thread drift.

giphy.gif

I fall under a generic disgust when I look at Hasbro/wotc. I actually like the core D&D 5e mechanics though. Your last line though makes me say... So what? Read the fucking room, we thrive here on pithy and thread drift.

View attachment 81761

As a fan of 4E, I can definitely follow what he’s saying. The admin for RPG Market on Facebook asked if there would be any interest, and a lot of the comments really just read like you’d expect.

Every game isn’t for everybody. But it does suck when something you enjoy gets shat upon heavily, as if the great tarrasque ate the village of Eckslacks.

Not me. I've never ever in my life bought anything D&D. Maybe that makes up somewhat for my failed saving rolls against some of my other purchases over the decades.
Congrats:gooselove:!
D&D 5e does me good. I'm honestly sad some of you don't like it. But I do respect your choices.
...right, and I'm sad that you like it, and feel the need to defend it, but I respect your choices as well::honkhonk:!

If one’s vision of great fantasy is this:

View attachment 81749
But one gets to play this:

View attachment 81751

Strong emotions may ensue.
Best and pithiest way to explain my dislike of 5e, at least among those I've seen this week:heart:!

I ran a 5E game for 5 years because that's the system the players wanted to use. I gave it a very serious shot. In the end, though, I really just don't care for the system mechanics, for some pretty specific reasons, and would be very reluctant to use it again. Having played dozens of systems over the decades, I have a pretty good idea of what I do and don't like. I suspect that's true for most of us on this board.
Thank you:thumbsup:!

I mean, yeah, all of us on this forum can explain why we dislike stuff. It's about time people would start accepting those reasons as valid:shade:!

Dude, if it was trendy to bash WotC, we'd have become a WotC fanclub on this forum:grin:!

But the reality is that the majority of GMs still go for 5e, and thus most players do as well. So if anything, WotC is the "trendy choice".

As a fan of 4E, I can definitely follow what he’s saying. The admin for RPG Market on Facebook asked if there would be any interest, and a lot of the comments really just read like you’d expect.

Every game isn’t for everybody. But it does suck when something you enjoy gets shat upon heavily, as if the great tarrasque ate the village of Eckslacks.
Actually I kind a dig 4e, but it isn't really D&D or its various editions/variants. My point that fucking Hasbro/WotC really are one shitty company and deserve any shit thrown at them. There are enough forums and websites dedicated to the altar of Hasbro/WotC, that having one where we're free to be glib, caustic, humorous or flat out nasty about them shouldn't be an issue.

Hell EnWorld is basically one big D&D website with a small slice to anything that isn't D&D on the side. Trying to having a conversation that's critical of the company is frustrating to be sure there. (which is anymore about the only other place I might occasionally post not counting Discord, Reddit and Ars Technica.

So to have folks push back at our bit of humor, black or otherwise at the cost of Hasbro/WotC is a bit silly. Most of us see the merits or some of the merits of the d20 systems and their various editions and variants (mutant or otherwise). And we'll gladly talk about that. But ask us to stop posting the caustic meme about Hasbro/WotC? The company that's skull fucking the goose that laid the golden egg? Give me a break, because that was the point of my previous post.

My point that fucking Hasbro/WotC really are one shitty company and deserve any shit thrown at them. There are enough forums and websites dedicated to the altar of Hasbro/WotC, that having one where we're free to be glib, caustic, humorous or flat out nasty about them shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, I was thinking the defense was about 5E, not WOTC (you could see that by my post). I could care less about the company.

When it comes to games, there are none that come to mind that I do not like but that I’d feel bad for someone else enjoying. Barring the racist ones or Fxxxx.

As long as a game isn’t preaching hate or violence toward others, I’m happy that someone is enjoying it.

Ascendant.

Unnecessary complexity. I takes a lot for my eyes to glaze over when reading a rulebook but this one did that.
This made me laugh because I also have gripes with Ascendant.

The ones that immediately stick out are as follows:

- Specifying measurements in SPs only without the accompanying real-world equivalent in parenthesis throughout the text. This forces the reader to have to flip back to the relevant SP table to determine what X amount of SPs of Y subject matter is. This is even worse for subject matter found on tables that are not found within the first chapter of the book, such as pungency. The official GM screen doesn't rectify this, either.
- Organization of information, especially when related to SPs of not-so-common subject matter, formulas for determining the effects of physics interactions, figuring out how much Health and Determination characters have, and hoe much damage they deal with their attacks.

IMO, Ascendant makes for a damn fine reference when it comes to scaling effects and representing comic book-style physics, but I find it so daunting that I haven't even created a character for that game yet, let alone run it for a group.

View attachment 81761
My point was that THIS forum is actually a lot more moderate compared to other places. YOU GUYS don't crap on WoTC as much. You at least have complaints that are well, legible and understandable, when you do!

I think I may have confused my point.

My point was that THIS forum is actually a lot more moderate compared to other places. YOU GUYS don't crap on WoTC as much. You at least have complaints that are well, legible and understandable, when you do!

I think I may have confused my point.
We're legible!?! Crap! Break out the translator!

Prubebly fur zee-a lest cuouple-a decedes d&ds meen prublem is cuprurete-a style-a muonegement. Rpgs ire-a a cumbeenetiun ouff textbuok und irt buok. Yuou need instruoctiuns oun huo tu du stuoff und zee-a irt chups, vriting und fisuoels, tu meke-a it a guod reed. Zeese-a reelly beneffeet frum a cuherent fisiun ouff vhet du. A smell teem ouff truosted telented fulks vit a pessiun tu meke-a a guod geme-a. Buot curpurete-a is guing tu be-a luokeeng it legel und buodgets und deedleenes und merketing. Su zeey puot in a vurd ibuout needeeng tu puot in our ifuid stuoff. Pege-a leemeets und time-a leemeets zeet cuot indexes und ixpluonetiuns und nu in dept testing our ruorites iff stuoff is brukee-a. Muonege-a zee-a irt seperete-a frum zee-a vriting und cuot zeet buodget buot ilsu muonege-a it intu bluondness tu keep zee-a tvitter mubs frum melting duon. Zee-a fure-a a buonch ouff peuple-a right beffure-a christmes becuose-a zeeur pert ouff zee-a pruject is dune-a right? Ixcept meybe-a sume-a ouff it reelly cuould hefe-a used a secund drefft our yuou shuould hefe-a a reel ideetur insteed ouff ms vurd gremmer check. Su oun und su furt. Bork Bork Bork!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back