Games you're dodged (the anti-addiction thread)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I've managed to dodge:

-- Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay past 1E
-- every edition of Shadowrun past 4th (and I only did PDF for 4th)
-- Most DnD since 3.0 main books (didn't get much of anything for 3.0 past the first 3 and didn't get anything 3.5e onward, though I can't recall if the Black Company book was for 3.0 or 3.5 which didn't matter since it tweaks stuff anyway)
-- Gurps after the initial few 4th ed books.
-- FATE after a few early books to realize I didn't like it (still love Fudge)
-- BESM after 2nd revised, which I think is still the best version overall (Rolling high versus low is about the only change I've heard of that I think improves it)
-- Just about everything post 3025-ish in Battletech. I think the Clans were a terrible addition to Battletech fiction and rules, but I'll still play you poor deluded souls who love them, though you probably have to pay for the beer and pretzels. I'm pretty sure the wife and I can field a reinforced combined arms regiment, so it's a dodge with very little effect.
-- Anything by Games Workshop since ~2000 though I still prowl the used market for minis from time to time. I do still buy the fiction.
-- Nearly everything that isn't Savage Worlds or Sine Nomine in print (I get pdfs of a lot of stuff)

I do still pick up a lot of PDFs that I won't run or play, probably need to try and dodge that habit.

I have pared down my physical RPG and Wargame rulebook collection significantly, to the point I can fit all I plan to keep on two standard-ish sized bookshelves. So I think that's a dodge.

I have not dodged having an extensive mini collection. The wife doesn't care much about what systems we use them in, but she very much cares that we not get rid of any.

I have loved the Laundry novels overall, but yeah that one was a serious stinker. My wife disliked it at least as much as I did and was very unhappy with it as well. That said I didn't get the original Laundry RPG because I didn't feel like I needed to, these days I run my Lovecraftian horror with a combo of Silent Legions and Savage Worlds, so I will be passing on any new one as well.

Stinker is not the word imo

It’s like why would you ruin the main character in that way. For little to no reward. It made the main character come off as both delusional and a complete and utter schmuck. The love interest was turned into a shallow unlikeable person who you wish was dead type of character.

Once I read the novel that shall not be named I gave all the rest to goodwill and didn’t look back. Nothing the writer can say or do will make me read any of his material ever again.

he hoped I wouldn't ever buy anything he published again
I’ve dodged Delta Green because it’s about the only RPG I’ve read and thought, “that’s really quite disturbing, I don’t want to play that.”

It was something about an agent writing to his wife after waking up in an abandoned pool with xenomorphs up his ar*e, if anyone can identify that “adventure”.

Anyway, Dennis Detwiller is plainly not taking his own advice.

“If I were starting over, here's what I would do: I would have never entered and wasted 15 years in video games. I would not try to get a job creating art for any large corporations and instead, I'd attempt to cultivate an audience of a few thousand people online to buy my independent work, and then do everything I could to over-deliver to them.

In my experience, this will make you far more money than any high-ranking corporate creative job you might ever hold, and, if you produce good enough work, will yield far more money over time. The long tail here can be very long. Very, very, long. “

Anyway, Dennis Detwiller is plainly not taking his own advice.

“...do everything I could to over-deliver to them. “

I wonder how that may relate to promised material from their kickstarter in 2015. To paraphrase the proffered quote: Evidently, our wait for that material is going to "be very long. Very, very, long."

In my case, it's more noteworthy to list the games that I haven't dodged in recent years. It's not too difficult to reach that point if you:
  • Don't search out Kickstarters, and generally stay uninformed about new ones.
  • Have never purchased a Bundle of Holding, and don't follow their offerings.
  • Never seek out Rpg deals - either in Rpg forum threads or looking for discounts advertised on DTRPG.
Generally, the less informed you stay about the hobby, the easier it is to get that Rpg-monkey off your back. :grin:

In my case, it's more noteworthy to list the games that I haven't dodged in recent years. It's not too difficult to reach that point if you:
  • Never seek out Rpg deals - either in Rpg forum threads or looking for discounts advertised on DTRPG.
Generally, the less informed you stay about the hobby, the easier it is to get that Rpg-monkey off your back. :grin:
Ignorance is bliss

I wonder how that may relate to promised material from their kickstarter in 2015. To paraphrase the proffered quote: Evidently, our wait for that material is going to "be very long. Very, very, long."
BTW, did you catch the thread here about Arc Publishing getting the license to "The Black Company"? (sigh)

You're the AA/Rehaber on the wagon to my Club Kid constantly getting freebies from scene friends! :grin: Your wallet and liver thanks you. :thumbsup:

... :shock: Wait. Do RPGs affect livers beyond chips & soda? :crossed: Oh dear, I'm gonna get the jaundice. :dead: Twice.

Echoing- any WFRP past 2nd. I add this with a qualifier, 2e stuff I use for 1e.

With this and some of the extra stuff for 1e it makes everything else largely not needed; especially Zweihander.

Really the most obvious was Sword & Wizardry Complete 5th (ish) edition. The edition where it wasn't Frog God Games anymore. I looked at the TOC and saw "Ancestry" replaced Race which means my 2nd print blue devil cover is and always will be the best edition of the game full stop.

There are a few others.

Cyberpunk. I got interested when the current edition was current editioning, but saw they had POD available for the 2020 line from the 90s. My basest recollections brought me to realize that was the edition worth having so I went that route instead. I saved myself from the current ridiculous rabbit hole Red has gone down.

Mophidius and Free League. There have been many games somewhat interesting me but I bought one or two games from each and realize neither have any idea what they are dong. At least to me, they make slickly polished garbage with virtually no substance.

Castles & Crusades 8th printing. They had the brilliant idea of putting the experimental and awful 15th-24th levels from the CKG to the PHB making them essentially no longer optional. I chose to instead keep the 7th printing. I considered buying the "8th" printing CKG so I could put my "7th printing" CKG with these awful levels in a wood chipper.

I can't remember the exact date but every single release past I want to say August 2018 for D&D 5E.

The new edition of ACKS. Because I didn't like the old edition of ACKS for reasons that were not resolved in the new edition of ACKS. Everyone's been talking about it and I mostly shrugged.

Dragonslayer. Because I already have Advanced Labyrinth Lord and don't need D&D again with like a page of houserules.

I stopped buying LotFP stuff the first time Jim Raggi lied the Ref book would be coming next after a given release of several non-Ref booky books (2021). I would prefer the company dies at this point.

I remembered another way I avoid expanding my RPG collection. When a licensed property I like gets picked up by a company that uses a system or design style I feel is wholly unsuitable for it.

- The Expanse going to Green Ronin
- The Witcher going to R. Talsorian (I know WHY it went there, but that doesn’t really make any difference to me)
- Dune going to Modiphius
- The Black Company going to Arc Dream (especially if a certain designer is involved)
- Matt Forbeck being hired by Marvel to do their new game (he’s just not a particularly skilled designer in my opinion and the Marvel game turned out pretty much how I expected)

That’s what I can remember off the top of my head but I’m pretty sure there are at least a couple of others.

I’ve dodged Delta Green because it’s about the only RPG I’ve read and thought, “that’s really quite disturbing, I don’t want to play that.”
I'd argue that this is a virtue in a horror game, though:gooseshades:!

(Sorry, can't identify that adventure, but then I've only read a few DG adventures, and I actually ran those:grin:)!

If you're referencing the part where people commonly think it should be lighter, I agree. But that's not what I mean - IMO, they worked exactly as you had it planned. It's just that you didn't account for some preferences:thumbsup:.
I was, yeah. What would you have preferred?

As an original Conan: An Age Undreamed Of kickstarter backer, I can never detach myself from all the beautiful books I have from this line.
They still have pride of place in my bookshelf, but these days I refer to them for lore and inspiration for my own 'Hyborian Age Adventures' sessions, using BRP Mythras for game mechanics (with double Luck Pts).

That's the best and most honest description I've read about Modiphius Conan, and it explains everything
Thank you for sharing :thumbsup:
Thanks!

Yes, the John Carter character sheet and others after that looked more the kind of thing that would of worked well for Conan
The head RPG designer evolved as he made more games. He also wasn't the original designer of 2D20, so he, and all of us, were working with a system where the original designer moved on to the next thing. If you look at Mutant Chronicles to Infinity to Conan to Carter and Trek, you see the refinement and simplification and more synergy between subsystems and the like.

I stopped buying LotFP stuff the first time Jim Raggi lied the Ref book would be coming next after a given release of several non-Ref booky books (2021). I would prefer the company dies at this point.
LotFP has been off my radar for 10 years or so, but I seem to remember even back then reading news that a Ref book was in the works and supposedly going to be released "soon."

Although they were ostensibly talking about another game, another creator, I think sureshot sureshot said it well a few posts above:

"Any rpg company that insults its fans ... or worse claim they don't want fans money..."

The mouthiest of the DG authors likes to use social media platform to personally insult anyone (fans included) that don't agree with his hypocritical and often factually incorrect political opinions and tell them they're not only unwanted as fans, but reprehensible people, while of course ignoring their own solipsistic behavior.

I can enjoy the work of people who I don't care for or don't agree with. Film directors, musicians, artists, writers. I don't need to be alignment with their ideology to find value in their work, but when I am personally denigrated by someone who spews ignorance based on kneejerk politics, I suddenly find myself not really wishing to provide them with my financial patronage any more. Not that I'm going to campaign to boycott them or anything. They have the right to be a public idiot if they want to, and Great Cthulhu knows they have enough monied fans who will provide them with mortgage payments for years to come.
Yeah, he's... unique.

LotFP has been off my radar for 10 years or so, but I seem to remember even back then reading news that a Ref book was in the works and supposedly going to be released "soon."
That's a bit of a stretch as the campaign was in 2012 and had a joke end date of IIRC 2018. That being said there were long stretches of nothing, then out of the blue an affirmation that something was being written, then nothing, then something was started being written, then more nothing, then oh no we're in dire financial straits please halp and we have a few things coming out that aren't the ref book and if you want us to continue existing and get your ref book you ought to buy 'em, then nothing. then yet another release of books and at that point I'm no longer paying attention.

I put a comment on one of his Youtube videos long after I had unsubbed where I gave him shit for spending the indiegogo money and never producing the ref book or even levelling with his fans that he frankly never will because the money is spent. He responded with something like "money was never the problem" in spite of already having begged for money more than once in the intervening years. I stopped reading the comment at that point because I knew he was full of shit as a Christmas turkey.

It's a textbook toxic company for this reason. Living off the charity of it's fans. Well past it's prime. I will crack a smile on the day I hear that LotFP doesn't exist anymore and Jimbo is bagging groceries or cooking fries somewhere in Finland.

I was, yeah. What would you have preferred?
"No doom pools by any name", of course::honkhonk:.

(No, I don't think this decision was yours to take, it most likely was taken in advance. But that's what I'd have wanted in order to even consider using the game for anything other than "mine it for setting info").

Did any have to wait for Far West?
There's a whole thread about it at this site, so we know it's been quite a few people:thumbsup:.

(No, I don't think this decision was yours to take, it most likely was taken in advance. But that's what I'd have wanted in order to even consider using the game for anything other than "mine it for setting info").

Having played in a Conan campaign for a little while (and eventually quit, mainly due to the system) the metacurrencies in it are a big part of what turned me off, and pretty much soured me on all other 2d20 Modiphius games. I didn't really care for the character creation part, either, but that wasn't enough to make me shun the basic system altogether. I can handle the Savage Worlds bennies thing, because it is simple and easy enough to just cut out or limit (I have never once used GM/NPC bennies with it). Conan 2d20 just went way too far with all that, though, at least for my tastes. There isn't anything inherently bad about the system, but it is the exact opposite of what I was looking for. I haven't really used them much as sourcebooks, either, because I already had other Conan products that fulfill that role from outside the game world.

There have been some 2d20 Star Trek books that I have enjoyed reading as sourcebooks, but I still don't like the base 2d20 system enough to run any games with it.

There's a whole thread about it at this site, so we know it's been quite a few people:thumbsup:.
Momentum, or Doom, was built into the system. At the time, metacurrencies were in vogue. I suspect they'll look like parachute pants before long. I did do a John Carter minis game that used them. I thought it worked well there. I've seen variations since, but nothing like minis-metacurrency as such. I think part of the issue was that there were, IIRC, three metacurrencies to track as well. At any rate, it's not a mechanic I see much these days. The problem is you need to buy those extra D20s in 2D20. I haven't seen the most recent iterations though. I'll have to look and see what they've done.

I think part of the issue was that there were, IIRC, three metacurrencies to track as well.

That was a big part of my problem with the game. In the campaign I was in, the other players spent most of their time focusing on how to maximize use the metacurrencies, and less on the story itself.

Having played in a Conan campaign for a little while (and eventually quit, mainly due to the system) the metacurrencies in it are a big part of what turned me off, and pretty much soured me on all other 2d20 Modiphius games. I didn't really care for the character creation part, either, but that wasn't enough to make me shun the basic system altogether. I can handle the Savage Worlds bennies thing, because it is simple and easy enough to just cut out or limit (I have never once used GM/NPC bennies with it). Conan 2d20 just went way too far with all that, though, at least for my tastes. There isn't anything inherently bad about the system, but it is the exact opposite of what I was looking for. I haven't really used them much as sourcebooks, either, because I already had other Conan products that fulfill that role from outside the game world.

There have been some 2d20 Star Trek books that I have enjoyed reading as sourcebooks, but I still don't like the base 2d20 system enough to run any games with it.
Alas. We worked really hard on the sourcebooks, trying to capture Howardian canon and add something to it. I don't think there's a better Howard first source in gaming anyway. Where do you draw from?

Having played in a Conan campaign for a little while (and eventually quit, mainly due to the system) the metacurrencies in it are a big part of what turned me off, and pretty much soured me on all other 2d20 Modiphius games. I didn't really care for the character creation part, either, but that wasn't enough to make me shun the basic system altogether.
I'm sure I wasn't the only one:gooselove:!
I can handle the Savage Worlds bennies thing, because it is simple and easy enough to just cut out or limit (I have never once used GM/NPC bennies with it).
Funny enough, our Referee for Road to Monsterberg: Mythras is cutting out Luck Points. He does replace them with the Four Humors mechanic from Codex Martialis/Stara Szkola, and is leaving Group Luck points, but you can only use those on behalf of someone else and when your PC can reasonably help, so there's no guarantee you could use them at any time...:tongue:
Also, they are going to refresh once each chapter. The whole campaign is 3 chapters.

Momentum, or Doom, was built into the system.
I know, I do read a lot of systems...:thumbsup:

And as I said, I don't blame you for introducing those. Nor do I even blame Modiphius for using them, I'm sure the publisher has reasons for doing so...
But my preference doesn't change just because someone else had reasons, either. So it just means I haven't bought anything after Conan (where I joined the KS, you can search on my first name) and I'm giving a hard skip to all the suggestions of someone running 2d20.

That's all there is to it:shade:.

At the time, metacurrencies were in vogue. I suspect they'll look like parachute pants before long.
"From your mouth, unto God's ears!"

I did do a John Carter minis game that used them. I thought it worked well there. I've seen variations since, but nothing like minis-metacurrency as such.
Oh, for a minis game, I can see this working well!
I think part of the issue was that there were, IIRC, three metacurrencies to track as well. At any rate, it's not a mechanic I see much these days. The problem is you need to buy those extra D20s in 2D20. I haven't seen the most recent iterations though. I'll have to look and see what they've done.
Nope, the number of metacurrencies isn't the issue. The specific way the Doom Pool is implemented in 2d20 is just crossing more than one of my red lines*, if there was only a Doom Pool, I'd have still reacted the same. (I might have reacted the same without it, too, but it would have taken more consideration:grin:).

BTW, I've got scores of d20s (the total number of dice I've got is measured in hundreds, never counted them), so that was never an issue I'd even considered.

*I've explained the actual reasons, and it's actually boring enough that I am not planning to explain them again and bore everyone else. For this thread, it's enough that I skipped 2d20 games because of it::honkhonk:!

Alas. We worked really hard on the sourcebooks, trying to capture Howardian canon and add something to it. I don't think there's a better Howard first source in gaming anyway. Where do you draw from?

For actual Howard stuff I pull things from various older books (non-gaming), articles, old fanzines, websites, etc., or just straight from the stories. On the extended-Conan front I like that Marvel "world of Conan" single-issue comic (can't recall the name off the top of my head) and the old "Savage Sword of Conan" black-and-white comic magazine.

What would have sold me on the Modiphius books as source books would have been combining all the lore and other non-gaming stuff into one book, rather than spreading it out over a series of them that all repeated the ruleset. As it was, all of that got spread out over a whole series of books, with a lot of duplication of effort in them. That made them a lot less useful to me for sourcebook use. If it was going to be multiple books, something more along the lines of a "guide to Conan world cultures," "guide to kingdoms of the Conan world," etc. would have worked, without having the ruleset in every one of them.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not criticizing all the lore research and stuff y'all did. I could tell that a lot of serious work went into it. If I had an easy way to do it, I would just take all the books, pull out the lore and setting pages, and rebind them into a single sourcebook or two, and be very happy with that. That would have been useful to me.

Yeah, he's... unique.
Ever since I first read about self-aggrandizing emo-burdened Club Apocalypse, I've been waiting for the official Delta Green: The Masquerade crossover. Thank the Outer Gods the Club and it's author-cipher-as-Nyarlathotep remained all about hipster posing in front of a full-length mirror.

Apropos of nothing, how come when Nyarlathotep and Hastur, etc al get involved in music scenes, they never indulge in the likes of Tony Bennet, Holly Cole, Leonard Cohen? Always it's trash metal with every angsty teenager cliché and no subtlety in lyrics? The Agents get backstage and find the quiet jazz trio trio reading Chicken Soup for the Soul, a Peanuts comic collection, and playing the Moonlight Sonata backwards... the Agents have as yet been completely unsuccessful in convincing themselves--nor anyone in local law enforcement--that these law-abiding middle-aged sedate jazz musicians/torch singer are involved in anything more nefarious than smoking cigarettes inside the jazz lounge against municipal ordinance.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one:gooselove:!

Funny enough, our Referee for Road to Monsterberg: Mythras is cutting out Luck Points. He does replace them with the Four Humors mechanic from Codex Martialis/Stara Szkola, and is leaving Group Luck points, but you can only use those on behalf of someone else and when your PC can reasonably help, so there's no guarantee you could use them at any time...:tongue:
Also, they are going to refresh once each chapter. The whole campaign is 3 chapters.

I know, I do read a lot of systems...:thumbsup:

And as I said, I don't blame you for introducing those. Nor do I even blame Modiphius for using them, I'm sure the publisher has reasons for doing so...
But my preference doesn't change just because someone else had reasons, either. So it just means I haven't bought anything after Conan (where I joined the KS, you can search on my first name) and I'm giving a hard skip to all the suggestions of someone running 2d20.

That's all there is to it:shade:.

"From your mouth, unto God's ears!"

Oh, for a minis game, I can see this working well!

Nope, the number of metacurrencies isn't the issue. The specific way the Doom Pool is implemented in 2d20 is just crossing more than one of my red lines*, if there was only a Doom Pool, I'd have still reacted the same. (I might have reacted the same without it, too, but it would have taken more consideration:grin:).

BTW, I've got scores of d20s (the total number of dice I've got is measured in hundreds, never counted them), so that was never an issue I'd even considered.

*I've explained the actual reasons, and it's actually boring enough that I am not planning to explain them again and bore everyone else. For this thread, it's enough that I skipped 2d20 games because of it::honkhonk:!
Haha. I meant the system we got, 2D20, before it applied to a setting, had the meta built in. When I worked on Mutant Chronicles, I found the metas and combat and such just too crunchy. I most did lore though.

For actual Howard stuff I pull things from various older books (non-gaming), articles, old fanzines, websites, etc., or just straight from the stories. On the extended-Conan front I like that Marvel "world of Conan" single-issue comic (can't recall the name off the top of my head) and the old "Savage Sword of Conan" black-and-white comic magazine.

What would have sold me on the Modiphius books as source books would have been combining all the lore and other non-gaming stuff into one book, rather than spreading it out over a series of them that all repeated the ruleset. As it was, all of that got spread out over a whole series of books, with a lot of duplication of effort in them. That made them a lot less useful to me for sourcebook use. If it was going to be multiple books, something more along the lines of a "guide to Conan world cultures," "guide to kingdoms of the Conan world," etc. would have worked, without having the ruleset in every one of them.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not criticizing all the lore research and stuff y'all did. I could tell that a lot of serious work went into it. If I had an easy way to do it, I would just take all the books, pull out the lore and setting pages, and rebind them into a single sourcebook or two, and be very happy with that. That would have been useful to me.
I love The Marvel Universe Guide to Conan. You can blame me for the Conan stages-of-life-themed sourcebooks. That was my idea. Friends who were on Modiphius Conan are on the new Monolith RPG. It's going to do the world in the core book, I think. Simpler system. I can ask one of the guys more if you're curious. They may not be able to say, though. I find the larger the company, the less you can talk about things prior to release.

Haha. I meant the system we got, 2D20, before it applied to a setting, had the meta built in.
...yes, that's exactly how I understood your post? What made you think otherwise?

2d20 was on my radar since Achtung! Chthulhu at least. I kinda went into Conan knowing the system is unlikely to work for me, and fishing for setting material:thumbsup:.

As I've stated above, I'd have taken a different stance today::honkhonk:.

I love The Marvel Universe Guide to Conan. You can blame me for the Conan stages-of-life-themed sourcebooks. That was my idea.

I'm not really blaming anyone. I don't think there is anything wrong with that approach, or even with having all those metacurrencies. They just aren't things that appeal to me. They do to some other people, though. Most of the guys I was playing Conan 2d20 with liked the game. It just wasn't my thing.

I feel the same way about the Star Wars FFG system. I really dislike the mechanics on those games, too, but could have enjoyed the books as sourcebooks. Unfortunately (for my tastes), they went the route of splitting things into multiple books that all repeat the same rules, treating them as different flavors of the same game, which makes them much less useful to me. The approach West End Games took to their sourcebooks is much more suited to my tastes.

I'm sorry if this is all coming across as being harshly critical. I don't mean it to sound that way. This is more of a personal preference issue than anything else.

Oh, and anything on kickstarter. I don't buy stuff in advance of it being done. Grognardia's Dwimmermount is a good example of why.

I have supported a lot of Kickstarters in the past, but I stopped doing that for the most part about two years ago. For me, a lot gets down to the wait time. Something I'm interested in buying right now may not be something I am interested in a year or two from now. My interests or needs might change in the meantime, or a competing product may come along that would work better for me. There are exceptions, particularly when it comes to certain non-rpg books, but overall I only really pay attention to rpg products once they are available for purchase.

I have supported a lot of Kickstarters in the past, but I stopped doing that for the most part about two years ago. For me, a lot gets down to the wait time. Something I'm interested in buying right now may not be something I am interested in a year or two from now. My interests or needs might change in the meantime, or a competing product may come along that would work better for me. There are exceptions, particularly when it comes to certain non-rpg books, but overall I only really pay attention to rpg products once they are available for purchase.
I get it and a wise strategy.

I'll add OSRIC and most anything OSR. Reasons vary there.

...Friends who were on Modiphius Conan are on the new Monolith RPG. It's going to do the world in the core book, I think. Simpler system. I can ask one of the guys more if you're curious. They may not be able to say, though. I find the larger the company, the less you can talk about things prior to release.
Yes please. I am super happy with the approach Monolith took to the Batman RPG (1 rulebook, 1 setting book and 1 adventure book). I am hopefully Conan may finally get an RPG treatment that works for me. Even just confirmation as to whether it uses Chroniques Oubliées would be appreciated.

In all serious, this is my method. If something is particularly good, it will still hit my radar eventually; there is absolutely no need to go actively hunting for stuff or signing up for spammy alerts and then doing all the hard work of filtering out the dross myself.

In a recent thread, some people were complaining about all the AI crap they have to wade through, and I still don't understand where they were seeing all this stuff.

There are a few others.

Cyberpunk. I got interested when the current edition was current editioning, but saw they had POD available for the 2020 line from the 90s. My basest recollections brought me to realize that was the edition worth having so I went that route instead. I saved myself from the current ridiculous rabbit hole Red has gone down.
What's the issue? System or lore?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back