Help with a game term

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

PolarBlues

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
In searching for word. More specifically, the perfect word to match a game mechanic.

The term is for an umbrella status condition that covers any effect whether mental (fear, drowsiness) or physical (binding, blinding, being pinned) that might impact the target's performance, mainly in combat. Maybe something like "debuffed" but less CRPG or "stymied" but less pretentious. :-) Ideally, a short and snappy term.

Any suggestions? I have a this weird feeling that there is a term from wargaming world that would fit I can't quite remember.

I like Banes...especially if you are talking a fantasy RPG.

Also like hindrance but too many letters and not as catchy :smile:

I usually refer to this type of conditions as "Impairing Conditions", though, the term "Impaired" itself may also work as the name for a specific condition dealing with general penalties to ability checks as a result of being drunk, high or mildly debilitated somehow.

In searching for word. More specifically, the perfect word to match a game mechanic.

The term is for an umbrella status condition that covers any effect whether mental (fear, drowsiness) or physical (binding, blinding, being pinned) that might impact the target's performance, mainly in combat. Maybe something like "debuffed" but less CRPG or "stymied" but less pretentious. :-) Ideally, a short and snappy term.

Any suggestions? I have a this weird feeling that there is a term from wargaming world that would fit I can't quite remember.
"Shaken" is a punchy wargaming term that has the broad application you're looking for. It featured prominently in Savage Worlds.

Thanks all. I've gone for Suppressed, at least for now, but I've also done some fancy edititing of the text so that the term itself is less generally less prominent. Depending on how the next round of play testing goes, it might all change again.

Shaken is probably the term I was trying to remember. It would fit very well bu it is so closely associated with Savage Worlds I'd feel a bit weird using it, t, even though I am sure nobody would care.

Shaken is probably the term I was trying to remember. It would fit very well bu it is so closely associated with Savage Worlds I'd feel a bit weird using it, t, even though I am sure nobody would care.
For what it's worth, shaken is not exclusive to Savage Worlds by any means, Savage Worlds took it from wargames.

Thanks all. I've gone for Suppressed, at least for now, but I've also done some fancy edititing of the text so that the term itself is less generally less prominent. Depending on how the next round of play testing goes, it might all change again.

If you're going to use Shaken you should probably find a way to use Stirred as well.

Debilitated, Disabled, Incapacitated, Hobbled, Hindered, Waylaid?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back