How the heck do I build and run a "Braunstein" ???

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Ok, how about Multi-User Tabletop, aka MUTT? :tongue:
Much better:thumbsup:!

9ead2b_9ea1afba7fce4da3b76c75d97baffb5c~mv2.png

A Fiery Flying Roll A Fiery Flying Roll, can you just put something in about Braunstein in the foreword or designer notes section?

Also, are you willing to share any info about the game at this point?
I mean at the moment the info is "I think I'm going to publish a Braunstein but need to start working on it". :p

I mean at the moment the info is "I think I'm going to publish a Braunstein but need to start working on it". :p
Admittedly, I was wondering mostly how close it was to about a half dozen brainslopped* B'steinish ideas I have up on Google Docs.

(*I'm not sure what stage of a concept's development brainslopped is exactly. Further than first conceived, more than brainstormed, maybe somewhere around roughed out first pass?)

Any particular direction you were thinking of taking with it?

Also, depending on type, I thought Steve Hatherley's book, Writing Freeform Larps was pretty useful.

Admittedly, I was wondering mostly how close it was to about a half dozen brainslopped* B'steinish ideas I have up on Google Docs.

(*I'm not sure what stage of a concept's development brainslopped is exactly. Further than first conceived, more than brainstormed, maybe somewhere around roughed out first pass?)

Any particular direction you were thinking of taking with it?

Also, depending on type, I thought Steve Hatherley's book, Writing Freeform Larps was pretty useful.
I have Steve's book somewhere. Largely I was going to use this as a starting point and work forward from there - https://kidminotaur.com/how-to-run-a-braunstein-rpg-1756ec4e73f0

I have Steve's book somewhere. Largely I was going to use this as a starting point and work forward from there - https://kidminotaur.com/how-to-run-a-braunstein-rpg-1756ec4e73f0
I had seen that page before, but sadly the parts that I really had hoped to see were apparently locked in Wesely's head or in referee-only docs.

Rereading it has given me some ideas though, which might solve some of the issues that had been throwing me off.

ETA:
It does reinforce a suspicion I've had for some time: Every B'stein scenario is , what's the word...bespoke?

While they may be similar in broad ways, and ones from the same designer may be similar because they have favored mechanics/methods/decision-loops-as-referee, literally every game/scenario will be different even before it is played.

ETA. TA.
One thing I'd been considering for a while was writing up the main concept, then putting together an additional format for something like an open-book, Writers' Room style game using Mythic GM Emulator an engine of choice (or perhaps the 1-page MGME that appeared in some magazine article).

Last edited:
Oh yeah, and are you going to do a debrief?

I feel like that's an important part of this style of game, more so than for something like Diplomacy.

There's something about the chance for group recognition of players, even if their character didn't win, that is important.

ETA:
It does reinforce a suspicion I've had for some time: Every B'stein scenario is , what's the word...bespoke?

While they may be similar in broad ways, and ones from the same designer may be similar because they have favored mechanics/methods/decision-loops-as-referee, literally every game/scenario will be different even before it is played.
Reinforcing that, I just picked this up - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/434472/landing-days-2100-c-e

I'll post more once I've done more than skimmed it but it looks good and very different from my conception of a Braunstein.
Oh yeah, and are you going to do a debrief?

I feel like that's an important part of this style of game, more so than for something like Diplomacy.

There's something about the chance for group recognition of players, even if their character didn't win, that is important.
Possibly. I agree it's important but I'm not sure it needs formal structure rather than being group determined.

I would absolutely like to hear about it when you’ve had a chance to look at it in depth.

I’m torn on the write up however, since it looks like a whole bunch of catch phrase soup. Not sure if that is good or bad, and I might do the same thing myself in a similar situation.

It would be nice to see more of this style written up, even if early examples are a little rough. It would give a nice starting point for development.

That was fascinating.

A couple of thigs that stuck out for me:

1) I heard the original Braunstein test story a little differently, but can't remember the source (Playing at the World, maybe?) where the B'sten was supposed to be a preliminary game to the Napoleonic game (and was supposed to then impact the setup of troops for the main game). In the video it seems that it was a weirdly convoluted "trap" to draw in players to the B'stein? If accurate, that's, well, it's a Thing certainly.

2) The mention that before and after people were playing similar types of games, but in slightly different areas of the US Midwest, using the term Braunstein, but not any real info on how they differed (and yes, my interest is in ones that more closely attempted to integrate miniatures into play).

3) Jeez, that is so very much like a UK Style Freeform LARP as described in the book A Fiery Die Roll and I were name checking upthread.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back