Interest check: Dungeon Crawl Classics official adventures

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Which DCC adventure sounds fun and unfamiliar to you?

• Classic dungeon crawl (Jewels of the Carnifex)

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Facing the frost giants (Beyond the Black Gate)

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Wizard duel! (Enter the Dagon)

• Pocket plane with strange rules (Fate's Fell Hand)

• Against the titans (Colossus, Arise!)

• Delving into the underdark (Journey to the Center of Aereth)

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Backwoods rustic hexcrawl (The Chained Coffin)

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Sword-and-planet hexcrawl (Peril on the Purple Planet)

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
The ranks of plunderers and heroes swell as two more join the fray! Seven companions now stand in readiness, hungry for gold and glory!

I'll show them...

I was studying the material last night a bit. It’s fun stuff and should be easy to run. I have all the supplemental adventures so I just have to put them on the map to make this a legit hex crawl. I’m just trying to decide how to kick it off and what kinds of magic items you might start with. I might be ready before the end of the weekend.

I was studying the material last night a bit. It’s fun stuff and should be easy to run. I have all the supplemental adventures so I just have to put them on the map to make this a legit hex crawl. I’m just trying to decide how to kick it off and what kinds of magic items you might start with. I might be ready before the end of the weekend.
Nice...well, take your time. Prepared GMs make for excellent adventures! My experience with unprepared GMs ranges from "Meh, could've been better" to "That sucked".

BTW, prepared to me means, you're comfortable running the first one or two scenarios and have a good idea of what the big picture is. After all, Sun Tzu said, "No battle plan survives contact with the enemy."

BTW, prepared to me means, you're comfortable running the first one or two scenarios and have a good idea of what the big picture is. After all, Sun Tzu said, "No battle plan survives contact with the enemy."
Never was that more true than with gamers.

I usually am slightly over-prepared, which is probably exactly prepared enough. Basically, at the start, I want to get an idea of the whys and wherefores and get a nice big picture view. After that, I try not to prepare more than two sessions in advance. With PbP, it's even less intensive because you can take an hour or two to look up the correct answer.
Never was that more true than with gamers.
And that is the whole reason I love to run games. I usually experience more surprise as the GM than I do as a player.

I usually am slightly over-prepared, which is probably exactly prepared enough. Basically, at the start, I want to get an idea of the whys and wherefores and get a nice big picture view. After that, I try not to prepare more than two sessions in advance. With PbP, it's even less intensive because you can take an hour or two to look up the correct answer.

And that is the whole reason I love to run games. I usually experience more surprise as the GM than I do as a player.
I agree with one caveat. If someone sign up to play a game advertised as Against the WereHamsters of the Hidden Forest they should not get pissy about the game being at least initially focused on dealing with werehamsters in a forest. Session one should not have a player says lets go explore the Island of Giant Chickens instead. It's rude to the GM and players who signed up for werehamster forest goodness.

Session one should not have a player says lets go explore the Island of Giant Chickens instead. It's rude to the GM and players who signed up for werehamster forest goodness.
Wait...I thought that nobody had read this adventure yet!

In all seriousness, I totally agree, but in this case I have nothing to worry about. Not only do I have a crack team of players, but initial events will definitely light fires under asses. :devil:

Wait...I thought that nobody had read this adventure yet!

In all seriousness, I totally agree, but in this case I have nothing to worry about. Not only do I have a crack team of players, but initial events will definitely light fires under asses. :devil:
I've been ignoring the occasional assfire for decades. Probably should have that looked at...

Werehamsters...heck yeah! Never thought of that.

The night is cold. Sleet and snow pelt the windows. Traveler and villager alike gather in the warm glow of the local pub...

Scruffy Villager (thick Gaelic accent): Beware the moors lads, there be darker things than shadows in those hills.
Gabor the Axe (fiery haired, rune tatted barbarian): Bah! Tales to frighten old women and the little ones!
Gabor slams his tankard down after a long swallow.
Gabor: Another round of drinks for the lads!

Suddenly a high keening whistle and squeak is heard from outside Molly's Folly (Pub of Qualitee)...

I am working on a player guide, and many of you will be well-familiar with a big chunk of the material. The starting point for the adventure is precisely the same setting I am using for OSE/Stonehell. Obviously, that will change in short order, since it's not the purple planet. This is 95% cut and paste, so it's possible there are errors. And yes, Stonehell is still there.

I am working on a player guide, and many of you will be well-familiar with a big chunk of the material. The starting point for the adventure is precisely the same setting I am using for OSE/Stonehell. Obviously, that will change in short order, since it's not the purple planet. This is 95% cut and paste, so it's possible there are errors. And yes, Stonehell is still there.
Sweet! Let's derail this before it starts! I already know where to get bit by a snake!

Never forget the hidden third option.... assassin!
Holy assassins sound like a lot of fun. In DCC, assassins are considered to be chaotic thieves, but rules are made to be bent.

Holy assassins sound like a lot of fun. In DCC, assassins are considered to be chaotic thieves, but rules are made to be bent.
When I was a kid we had THAT GUY. You know the one who always has the character with the mysterious past. Usually he was an assassin disguised as something impossible (samurai, Wizard, Paladin). It got so predictable one time his character entered the bar in the first session, walked up to us and began to say something in a husky voice. That's as far as he got before every last one of us said 'I pull out my weapon and kill him"

Using the butcher character from this batch, swapping PER and INT:

DCC purple planet characters.jpg

(playing the fortune teller with an INT of 3 in a funnel would have been hilarious: *dies awful death* "I didn't see that coming!")

Kara Flesher

STR 11
AGL 17 (+2)
STA 10/8 (-1)
PER 9
INT 12
LUCK 13 (+1)

Class: Thief
Level: 4
Former Occupation: Butcher
Alignment: Neutral
Lucky Sign: Hawkeye (+1 missile fire damage rolls)
Languages: Common, Thieves' Cant

Reflex Save: +4
Fortitude Save: +2
Willpower Save: +1

Attack: +2
Crit Die: 1d16 (Table II)
Action Die: 1d20
Luck Die: d6
Speed: 30
Initiative: +2
AC: 18
HP: 22 (4+18 HP from leveling up)
XP: 197

Backstab +3
Sneak Silently +12*
Hide in Shadow +11*
Pick Pocket +12*
Climb Sheer Surfaces +12*
Pick Lock +11*
Find Trap +7
Disable Trap +11*
Forge Document +12*
Disguise Self +2
Read Languages +3
Handle Poison +2
Cast Spell From Scroll d14

Equipment
Leather Armor* (-1 check penalty)
Longsword
Dagger x2
Crossbow
Quiver w/ 30 bolts
Backpack
Piece of chalk
Holy water, 1 vial
Mirror, hand-sized
Rations, 1 week
50' Rope w/ grappling hook
Large sack
Thieves' tools
Waterskin
Horse & assorted gear

Magic Items
The Lying Knife
The Trickster's Rope
Healing potion x2

Money
20 gp
10 sp
12 cp
Various gemstones hidden on person
Topaz x1 (500 gp)
Amethyst x2 (100 gp each)
Moonstones x4 (50 gp each)
Turquoise x6 (10 gp each)

Kara grew up in Blackrock, the daughter of a butcher (her mother died when she was five). At the age of twelve, she apprenticed to the local Thieves' Guild, which helped to gain her father's business an exemption from the local protection racket. After his death several years later, she would eventually leave Blackrock to go freelance.

Her main hindrance is her occasionally brusque personality and mediocre people skills. She dislikes being dependant on others, but recognizes that some endeavors require a group effort, and she is smart enough not to burn bridges needlessly.

81988157_2887575707942946_5681253615252013056_o.jpg

Last edited:
Equipment below is based on 0 level. Do we get standard starting money for 4th level or a different amount.

I'm going to try the homebrew class gnome for the variety of stuff it offers.

Steevo the Magnificent Wandering Gnome

Neutral Changling lvl 4 HP 13 AC 10

Strength 7 Agility 9 Stamina 11 Personality 7 Intelligence 13 Luck 13

Skill Bonus +7: Sneak, Hide, Pockets, Disguise
Crit Die d8, table 1
Action Die d20

Fortitude +3 Reflex +2 Willpower +3

Background: Halfling Vagrant

Sign: Lucky sign (Saving throws) (+1)

Languages: Common, Halfling, Alignment

Halfling ability: Infravisiion

Spells

1at: Cantrip (Dimensional Schism), Mending (Terrible to Behold), Sleep, Ventriliquism

2nd: Invisibility (Spell by Proxy), Phantasm (Memory of Dying God)

Weapons: club

Equipment: Begging bowl, Mirror - hand-sized (10 gp)

Money 35 cp

Steevo started being very still and letting the world come to him. His modest luck and pouty lip took care of him at his busy crossroads. Then the incident happened. Steevo found himself in possession of money and a spellbook and standing on a dead enchanter. From that day onward, he has decided to constantly travel until he finds a new perfect spot to do nothing.

Do we get standard starting money for 4th level or a different amount.
Yes, create your character with the starting funds as described in the rules. If you need more, let me know and I'll see if it makes sense. I'll almost certainly give you guys some non-OP magic items as well. I want to read the adventure a bit more before I do that.

One thing I'm settling on is that your characters just came back from an adventure. I haven't worked out all the details, but I'm thinking it's something that required a wilderness trek, so you should be fairly well-supplied for that. Do you see where I'm going with this? :wink:

Oooh, can I have retainers? Hopefully, the other 3 0 levels characters from here. I'll have two maids I that rescued from a life of boredom as farmer's daughters and a personal biographer. I figure I've been paying each of them 1 sp/day for a year to not fight but be in the general vicinity of danger. Plus cost of equipment.

I don't expect them to be that helpful but they could take care of mounts, set up tents, and fetch water.

Oooh, can I have retainers?
That's a very good question. Let me think about that. I don't think this adventure was written for a big traditional gang with retainers, so I want to think about how to fit that in properly, if at all.

As for 1st level characters, or as for higher level (which only go up to 3rd)?
I had to check, but you're right that it only goes up to 3rd level. So to keep it simple, take the constant value of added coins in 3rd level, and double it. For instance, a Warrior gets (5d12 + 1500) GP if starting at 3rd level, so for 4th level start with (5d12 + 3000) GP. A fourth-level Cleric should start with (4d20 + 2600) GP, and the thief gets (3d10 + (6d6 x 100)) GP.

I haven't even thought of what that would be for my new classes. Just default to the standard racial classes in that case, I suppose.

Oooh, can I have retainers? Hopefully, the other 3 0 levels characters from here. I'll have two maids I that rescued from a life of boredom as farmer's daughters and a personal biographer. I figure I've been paying each of them 1 sp/day for a year to not fight but be in the general vicinity of danger. Plus cost of equipment.

I don't expect them to be that helpful but they could take care of mounts, set up tents, and fetch water.

You could always make one a light bearer and put that one in front of the party, changing them out as they get killt....just a thought. :devil:

Darithor the Warrior: "Go on, pick up the torch and lead us down the tunnel..."
Retainer 3 (squeaky high voice): "I don't want to. The first two already got killt...first one fell into a spiked pit, the second got eaten by a Number Nulk."
Darithor: "That's Umber Hulk, but I digress, please, pick up the torch and let's get a move on. Here's a silver piece more if you'll just lead us down the tunnel..." (picks up the 5 pieces of silver from retainer 2's pouch and tosses one to retainer 3)
Retainer 3: (catches the silver piece and pockets it, picks up the torch reluctantly) "Fine, but if I die a horrible and untimely death....," he says and begins to lead the party down the dark stairs....

I had to check, but you're right that it only goes up to 3rd level. So to keep it simple, take the constant value of added coins in 3rd level, and double it. For instance, a Warrior gets (5d12 + 1500) GP if starting at 3rd level, so for 4th level start with (5d12 + 3000) GP. A fourth-level Cleric should start with (4d20 + 2600) GP, and the thief gets (3d10 + (6d6 x 100)) GP.

I haven't even thought of what that would be for my new classes. Just default to the standard racial classes in that case, I suppose.
Yes, create your character with the starting funds as described in the rules. If you need more, let me know and I'll see if it makes sense. I'll almost certainly give you guys some non-OP magic items as well. I want to read the adventure a bit more before I do that.

One thing I'm settling on is that your characters just came back from an adventure. I haven't worked out all the details, but I'm thinking it's something that required a wilderness trek, so you should be fairly well-supplied for that. Do you see where I'm going with this? :wink:
I'm afraid I'm not finding the spot in the rules where it talks about more than 5d12 CP for 0-level characters. Could us a bit of help - my Elf Ranger needs mithril!

Simon Hogwood Simon Hogwood, Umbraldragon Umbraldragon has you covered - p.70 in the core rules.

Just to update you all, I found some time today to do a bit more reading of the Purple Planet materials. There's a lot more to read than I remembered! I went through all the optional locations and side adventures (several published separately) and decided which ones to include and where to place them. I'm going to have to condense all the custom rules.

Next up, I'll figure out the details of retainers and magic items.

FYI, classes you've selected so far:
That's a good mix of classes already. You've got the fighter/thief/magic-user/cleric quarter covered, and frankly speaking, I think that's a good idea. Since you have the basics down, I'd say the rest of you have some freedom as to what you may choose. One thing to keep in mind is that only one halfling in a party may help the other party members with Luck, so another halfling goes partly to waste.

Last edited:
Simon Hogwood Simon Hogwood, Umbraldragon Umbraldragon has you covered - p.70 in the core rules.

Just to update you all, I found some time today to do a bit more reading of the Purple Planet materials. There's a lot more to read than I remembered! I went through all the optional locations and side adventures (several published separately) and decided which ones to include and where to place them. I'm going to have to condense all the custom rules.

Next up, I'll figure out the details of retainers and magic items.

FYI, classes you've selected so far:
That's a good mix of classes already. You've got the fighter/thief/magic-user/cleric quarter covered, and frankly speaking, I think that's a good idea. Since you have the basics down, I'd say the rest of you have some freedom as to what you may choose. One thing to keep in mind is that only one halfling in a party may help the other party members with Luck, so another halfling goes partly to waste.
Yeah about that, earlier I posted links to my workup sheet, and character sheet. I was expecting a smidgen of feedback if possible. Character: Wood Elf

Yeah about that, earlier I posted links to my workup sheet, and character sheet. I was expecting a smidgen of feedback if possible. Character: Wood Elf
I see, I had just been scanning visually through the thread so I missed that. I don’t have much feedback - it seems fine but I didn’t check your gear. I’m assuming those are paid for according to starting wealth as described upthread.

As for being a wood elf, this setting has two elf societies: the noble elves of Nemuth who follow the Path of Grace, and various dark elf settlements in the wilderness. Dark elves are not necessarily bad but they have abandoned the Path of Grace and may worship gods or devils. Noble elves do not revere any gods.

It’s all in the player guide but don’t worry, you are not required to read that. It’s more for inspiration.

I see, I had just been scanning visually through the thread so I missed that. I don’t have much feedback - it seems fine but I didn’t check your gear. I’m assuming those are paid for according to starting wealth as described upthread.

As for being a wood elf, this setting has two elf societies: the noble elves of Nemuth who follow the Path of Grace, and various dark elf settlements in the wilderness. Dark elves are not necessarily bad but they have abandoned the Path of Grace and may worship gods or devils. Noble elves do not revere any gods.

It’s all in the player guide but don’t worry, you are not required to read that. It’s more for inspiration.
Ahem...which player guide dost thou refer to sir?

I just realized that this version of the player's guide actually says very little about demi-humans. I'll fix that now.

EDIT: Done.

Last edited:
Another update to the player guide...

I've added a mechanic that combines magic items and retainers: boons. It gets a new section prominently towards the front.

Every PC starts out with two boons. A single boon can be exchanged for one minor magic item or one 2nd level retainer (you choose the class). Both your boons can be exchanged for one major magical item or a very loyal 3rd level retainer (again, choose the class).

Finally, if you have some quirky talent you'd like your PC to have, we can incorporate it as a boon. I'll have final say on whether to permit it, the mechanics, and the number of boons it's worth, although I'd take input on all aspects. But let's not go crazy with the customization of your first PC.

I already have a list of a bunch of minor magic items and three major ones. I've used a bunch of them before, and I've added a few new ones. I may add a couple more.

Generally speaking, I've reorganized the document, moving the character stuff before the setting stuff. I make small changes to things over time, but I'll let you know if it's anything important. You don't need to know this stuff for the test.

Last edited:
Starting gold for Kara is 1,521 GP. Will update character description as I purchase equipment, but she's gonna have a *lot* of gold left over, I imagine.

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back