Looking to form a group of people with LOTS of spare time, for regular games

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Grognard GM

Active Pubber
Reaction score
Who I am: I'm an almost middle aged gamer with over 30 years experience in playing and GM'ing. Born and raised in England, but a lifelong Americanophile, and American citizen.

What I'm looking for: Mature and laidback players with lots of spare time

The pitch: I'm a full-time carer for a disabled wife. While this means I'm technically always on-call, it means I have a lot of downtime where I'm often alone (my wife sleeps a lot because of medication), and I'd like to fill as much of this time as possible with gaming. While my timezone is UTC (+00:00), I'm a night owl. I regularly have large chunks of free time between roughly about 9pm-5am UTC (+00:00), on most days.

What I'm looking for: Retirees, the disabled, trust fund millionaires, and other assorted rejects like myself that are flexible, and have a lot of time on their hands (and are likely to continue to have so), and want friendship and lots of gaming. My target group is probably Gen X'ers and old Millenials, but maturity, sense of humor, and lots of free time are the main prequisites.

I don't mind GM'ing, but I need to play too, so everyone taking turns to GM games would be preferable.

Read this so no-one has their time wasted/ice melted: I grew up during the 80's and 90's. I am irreverent by nature, use no personal pronouns, enjoy blue jokes and double entendres, and I consider every group known to humanity as equally open to poking fun at. If you like words like problematic, or cultural appropriation, this is not the group for you. Like Fonzie, you must be cool.

Oh, and if your idea of RPGing is just playing D&D, you're better off with another group. I don't mind the occasional 3.5 or earlier game, but it is far from my favourite game.

Games I have run over the years:
Call Of Cthulhu *
Cartoon Action Hour *
Star Wars (West End Games D6)
Dark Champions *
Dark Heresy *
Deadlands: Weird/Wasted West
In Nomine
Marvel (Universe Roleplaying System and FASERIP) *
Savage Worlds (homebrew Victorian adventure setting) *
Space 1889
WFRP (1st and 2nd) *
World Of Darkness (mixed systems)
Vampire: Dark Ages

* My most likely to run

Games I am particularly interested in playing
2300AD
7th Sea
Alien the roleplaying game*
All flesh must be eaten
Ars Magica *
Blades in the dark
Brave New World
Call Of Cthulhu *
Cartoon Action Hour *
Champions
Conan: Adventures in an age undreamed of
Conspiracy X
Cyberpunk 2020
Dark Champions
Dark Conspiracy
The Dark Eye
Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader *
DC Heroes / DC Universe
Deadlands: Weird/Wasted West *
Doctor Who (any, as long as the setting is classic Who, not NuWho)
The Dresden Files
Dune
The Esoterrorists
Fading Suns
Feng Shui
Firefly
Gear Krieg
Ghostbusters
Godlike
Gumshoe
GURPS
Hollow Earth Expedition
Hong Kong Action Theater *
It came from the late, late, late show
James Bond 007
Judge Dredd (any except D20)
Marvel (most of them)
MERP
Millenium’s End
Mutant City Blues
Mutants & Masterminds *
Mutant Year Zero *
The One Ring
Savage Worlds
Shadowrun (2nd or 3rd preferred) *
SLA Industries
Space 1889
Spirit Of The Century *
Star Trek (various)
Trail Of Cthulhu
Traveller
WFRP (1st or 2nd) *

* Extremely interested

I hope to hear from a few of you, and thank you for your time in reading my post. Have a good one!

Well, you sounds like my kind of people, but I have a 9-5 so I'm not sure I muster past the free time requirement. :grin:

Well, I'm a retired disabled trust-fund millionaire, with a lot of time on my hands, inclined to like my RP in extended campaigns of weekly sessions of ~four hours, lately starved for actual roleplaying. One the other hand…
  • I'm in a very awkward time-zone (Australian Eastern, which is +10 or +11 depending on the vagaries of daylight saving.
  • I don't deal well with disturbances to my sleep schedule, so I really can't start earlier than 08:00 or play past 22:30 AET. That leaves me available to play 22:00–12:30 UTC, give or take daylight saving.
  • I get episodes of depression from time to time during which I can't sustain effort, and they tend to last 8–12 weeks.
  • I'm technically a Boomer rather than Gen X, and more in the "still middle-aged" than the "almost middle-aged" category.
My taste in RPGs might be a little bit narrower than yours. I tend to prefer a robust and versatile set of general-purpose RPG rules that I master once and then use in many settings, rather than having to buy and learn a plethora of sets of special-purpose mechanics. I am prepared to have a go at all sorts of RPGs, but I think it's fair to warn you that I have tried a lot of the games on your list and not liked the mechanics. If I were to run a campaign it might be
  • somewhere between Traveller and James Bond 007,
  • somewhere in the Kipling-Haggard-Conan Doyle late-Victorian adventure space,
  • inter-War matinée-movie adventure vaguely like Indiana Jones, or just possibly
  • 1960s unrealistic espionage/secret operations stuff, not too James Bond but not George Smiley either.
  • If I get really enthusiastic, a planetary romance for characters transported unexpectedly from early 20th-Century Earth to a dying world.
I grew up in Australia in the Seventies and early Eighties. Dunno whether I'm "cool" or "chill", so I’m probably not. I use whatever personal pronouns people want when addressing them, because I don't think grammatical rectitude is anything like worth annoying people over. I do feel inward pangs about number-agreement in the third-person indefinite-gender singular, but I keep them internal. I’d soon find it tedious if making fun of people or stereotypes was a substantial part of what went on in roleplaying sessions, but I take it that you are indicating a position against puritanical fault-finding criticism rather than indicating a compulsive habit of shock comedy.

Last edited:
Thank you for your interest, gentlemen. I see some problems, largely concerning timetables, but I'll PM you both shortly to hash things out a little :smile:

Would this be play by post or live via the internets? Full time tired daddy so everything could be done but I would say play by post

Would this be play by post or live via the internets? Full time tired daddy so everything could be done but I would say play by post
Since I mentioned time blocks, free time, and didn't post in the play by post section, I assumed this was self-explanatory.

Live via the information super highway.

Thank you very much or your interest though!

Well, you sounds like my kind of people, but I have a 9-5 so I'm not sure I muster past the free time requirement. :grin:
Same here, but I wish them all the best!

I thought game signups was for everything under the sun Pbp to live tabletop.

but what do I know right?

I thought game signups was for everything under the sun Pbp to live tabletop.

but what do I know right?
It is. Game sign up s is for any game sign up. The Play by Post subforum is largely for In Character and Out of Character posts. There may be an occasional looking for a game post there or here. We aren't that strict.

I'd be interested. I have a lot of free time, in particular during the week. (The days most people play RPGs, like Friday nights, Saturday or Sunday are really the only times that DON'T work for me since I spend that time with my family for the most part.) I would love a regular game that meets Monday afternoons or evenings, or something weird like a Tuesday from 1pm until 6pm etc. I am a night owl myself so anything before Noon is pretty much a no go. Your general cultural sensitivities seem to jive well with mine, or my lack thereof. :smile:

I'm in my mid 40's, live in the southwest US, and have played most tabletop systems over the years. I'd say that White Wolf games and D&D are the ones I have most experience with but pick up on systems pretty fast.

I haven't been around the Pub a lot lately. Been busy working on my own games so I just saw this while advertising for an online convention I'm involved with. I fit a lot of your criteria, especially the time and world view, and I've played/ran a few of the games listed in the OP. Summer is the only season where I am usually busier throughout the week as the kiddos have so many places to see and people to go - eh, you know what I mean, but any other time of the year I have quite a bit of free time. I'm in the US Central time zone.

Games I am particularly interested in playing
Snip a pretty awesome list of games!

I'm in US Central time, but sadly at the moment, I'm packed for games. I have a Tuesday rotating group, Wednesday D&D/Marvel biweekly game, and switching between running Marvel and playing in a friend's online D&D game since she moved away, and Thursday Space Opera game, Friday currently a Short Unisystem space survival game, Saturday for two weeks at the first of the month I play with friends locally, then they do stuff the other two Saturdays, Sundays I have Marvel as a player.

The reason I've included everything is that I know that with the exception of my Tuesday game, it is highly likely something can and will change. In fact, my Thursday/Friday games have a foreseeable end date not finished yet, and I'm not sure how much longer we'll be going but I know it's relatively soon because the Space Opera game is on its final arc to saving the galaxy, and the Survival game wasn't meant to go for terribly long.

I'm also in US Central (UTC-5 currently). I have some availability during the given time slots. I've got more availability between UTC-5 9AM to 3PM (that's UTC +0 2PM to 8PM). But I can occasionally make the later UTC +0 window work.

I'm happy to play over discord / zoom / msft team etc. I am not interested in signing up for a virtual tabletop (e.g. Roll20, etc).

I've played and I'm willing to run: Achtung! Cuthulhu 2d20, Star Trek Adventures 2d20, Alilens! Year Zero Engine, Blade Runner Year Zero Engine, Old School Essentials, Mohtership, M-Space, Mythras, Cortex Prime. I'm open to trying other games (either as a player, or as a GM). My preferred "mode" of play is short campaign (say between 3 and 12 sessions). I'm comfortable as a player or GM with groups of up to 8 players, depending upon the system.

Based in the UK but have a 9 to 5 job however most of my weekend time is free, or more accurately, can definitely organise my time around gaming - even on weekends or evenings for a few hours. Have a fair bit of overlap on games and definitely attitude, culture and age-wise. Happy to have a chat via PM to discuss more.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back