Moderation Discussion Thread of 2024

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
We didn't get milk deliveries, but my mom did cut whole milk 50-50 with powdered milk. In the 90s I used powdered milk in cooking and for cocoa making.

These days we drink tons of ultra pasteurized milk, expiration dates are usually at least a month out, we've sometimes drank slowly enough to get 10 days out of an open carton. When the kids were little, we went through 6 half gallons a week.

These days we drink tons of ultra pasteurized milk, expiration dates are usually at least a month out, we've sometimes drank slowly enough to get 10 days out of an open carton. When the kids were little, we went through 6 half gallons a week.
I have one teen boy who likes protein shakes. we go through a gallon a week and I buy the 4x half gallons from costco. TBF, I also drink a fair number of protein shakes myself. You must've had a ravening horde!

I have one teen boy who likes protein shakes. we go through a gallon a week and I buy the 4x half gallons from costco. TBF, I also drink a fair number of protein shakes myself. You must've had a ravening horde!
Well, for a while, they were both on the bottle. Then they switched to sippy cups, but still several times a day. I wonder what the grocery store though though about me cleaning out their shelf of Horizon DHA+ Whole Milk every time I shopped... Loved some re-usable shopping bags from Ikea that we had that easily held 6 half gallon cartons...

These days, we go through milk much slower, but they still get 1-3 6 oz cups a day. I use 1% in my cereal, and my wife and I use it for cocoa.

My Grandma did too. That cheese was frickin' good.
They used to always use it on the cheese toast with school breakfasts when I was a kid.

It had just a certain quality in how it melt that is really unique. It's like... it's not a "good cheese" but somehow it is perfect for being whatever weird thing it is and tastes way better than it should.

Government cheese had an interesting history. From its Wikipedia article:

At the time of Ronald Reagan's signing of the Agriculture and Food Act of 1981, the cheese stockpile equaled more than 2 lb (1 kg) of cheese for each person living in the United States.
California was the first state to take the cheese; the first delivery that it received was three million pounds (1,400 t).

I get my protein shakes premade and premeasured. Fairlife for the win! I also get Fairlife milk for making ice cream and magic spoon cereal.

I was wondering the same thing... Milk deliveries? Powdered milk? What happened to the grocery store?
Grocery stores used to deliver, too.

Before typical families had a car and two jobs, the milkman and bakeries made daily rounds of deliveries. Greengrocers sold fruit and veg from the backs of trucks, visiting each street a couple of times a week. People put in orders at grocery stores which the stores delivered, about weekly. And doctors made house calls.

The Past is a foreign country. They do things differently there.

Before typical families had a car and two jobs, the milkman and bakeries made daily rounds of deliveries. Greengrocers sold fruit and veg from the backs of trucks, visiting each street a couple of times a week. People put in orders at grocery stores which the stores delivered, about weekly. And doctors made house calls.

Yes. I've been struck by the way that grocery stores offering delivery--or new services arising that go to the grocery store and pick up your order--have made something of a comeback in recent years, at least around here.

I remember as a kid when we officially adopted the metric system and they changed from those rigid plastic milk jugs to the bags because many dairy producers were already experimenting with them and it was cheaper than changing production lines on the plastic jugs.

But since the jugs were reusable, there were often issues with the milk because the jugs wouldn’t always get cleaned properly.

So I much prefer the bags. The jugs take up so much space in the fridge, but the bags can fit in around other stuff.

But apparently in western Canada they went back to using jugs. Madness, I tell ya!!!

Why was the government in the cheese business?
I’ll just quote the wiki article because it would say it better than I can:

Government cheese is a commodity cheese that was controlled by the US federal government from World War II to the early 1980s. Government cheese was created to maintain the price of dairy when dairy industry subsidies artificially increased the supply of milk and created a surplus of milk that was then converted into cheese, butter, or powdered milk. The cheese, along with the butter and dehydrated milk powder, was stored in over 150 warehouses across 35 states.

They used to always use it on the cheese toast with school breakfasts when I was a kid.

It had just a certain quality in how it melt that is really unique. It's like... it's not a "good cheese" but somehow it is perfect for being whatever weird thing it is and tastes way better than it should.
Makes some of the best queso, even better than using velveeta.

Yes. I've been struck by the way that grocery stores offering delivery--or new services arising that go to the grocery store and pick up your order--have made something of a comeback in recent years, at least around here.
Yup, was gonna say, that it's been nice to have the return of that service. I make use of it often. Of course unless you live out in the middle of "everything is trying to keeeel you twice Australia", where services like that are a myth for them. If you tell them such things exist they'll call bullshit on you! You are obviously lying to claim such, just like you're telling tall tales that New Zealand exists.

Yup, was gonna say, that it's been nice to have the return of that service. I make use of it often. Of course unless you live out in the middle of "everything is trying to keeeel you twice Australia", where services like that are a myth for them. If you tell them such things exist they'll call bullshit on you! You are obviously lying to claim such, just like you're telling tall tales that New Zealand exists.

We're visible from space, you muppet. I live down there on the right.

1714617392307.png

A new one to me is canned mackerel. It is clearly better than its reputation.

It is yummy, yes. :eat:

A safety warning, don't keep mackerel as leftovers, it does not keep well at all. Mackerel is known historically for not being preserved well due to a special red bacteria that tends to bloom from their dead flesh, like the red bacteria of red tide. The reason we can preserve mackerel now in cans is because of modern food safety where we cook the fish inside the sealed can. So don't try to homemade pickle mackerel at all and be mindful of getting mackerel cans sized appropriate to the servings for the day. :thumbsup:

Even as recently as the late 80s kids here had newspaper runs after school, and in urban areas the milkman delivered every couple of days, in the early hours of the morning. You put out your bottles, with coloured plastic rings on them to mark non-standard milk choices (a new innovation - previously you got whatever was the standard). Either you ran an account, or you put tokens (bought at the local dairy) in the bottles. The milkman then swapped your bottles for full ones. They'd employ teenagers to push a cart down the street while the milkman worked the truck, driving it and filling crates to be put on the cart for the next street. Pushing the carts was hard work and most kids I knew would've preferred a paper run, but those were hard to come by and jealously held by those who had them.

But for me that was all moot, because I lived out of town, biked a couple of miles down a country road each day to catch the school bus, which took long enough to get to school that the most urgent not-done homework could be completed on it. No after school paid job (or sports) for us, just unpaid farm chores. On the other hand, we didn't have a TV until I was in my mid-late teens, and my parents read, so we read, and I don't think we came out the worse for that (and the town library was, looking back, amazingly good for a city of 60,000).

Even as recently as the late 80s kids here had newspaper runs after school, and in urban areas the milkman delivered every couple of days, in the early hours of the morning. You put out your bottles, with coloured plastic rings on them to mark non-standard milk choices (a new innovation - previously you got whatever was the standard). Either you ran an account, or you put tokens (bought at the local dairy) in the bottles. The milkman then swapped your bottles for full ones. They'd employ teenagers to push a cart down the street while the milkman worked the truck, driving it and filling crates to be put on the cart for the next street. Pushing the carts was hard work and most kids I knew would've preferred a paper run, but those were hard to come by and jealously held by those who had them.

But for me that was all moot, because I lived out of town, biked a couple of miles down a country road each day to catch the school bus, which took long enough to get to school that the most urgent not-done homework could be completed on it. No after school paid job (or sports) for us, just unpaid farm chores. On the other hand, we didn't have a TV until I was in my mid-late teens, and my parents read, so we read, and I don't think we came out the worse for that (and the town library was, looking back, amazingly good for a city of 60,000).
Here, being? Helps with context when you mention where you grew up.

I believe Sharrow has mentioned in the past that they are from New Zealand.
Yup, I was aware that he currently lived there, but due to how he's talked in other posts I thought that he had lived in other places. So I speculated that he might have grown up some place other than New Zealand. I mean at times he's come of as being more appearing more knowledgeable about life and places in the USA. More than once I meant to ask him where he'd lived here. So my bad for the error in assuming that he'd lived here.

Yup, I was aware that he currently lived there, but due to how he's talked in other posts I thought that he had lived in other places. So I speculated that he might have grown up some place other than New Zealand. I mean at times he's come of as being more appearing more knowledgeable about life and places in the USA. More than once I meant to ask him where he'd lived here. So my bad for the error in assuming that he'd lived here.
As it happens, I've lived all my life in the non-existent, mythical land of New Zealand. Any knowledge I have of life in the US is from reading and talking to friends and acquaintances who live there, so it's all second-hand.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back