Mournblade coming out in English

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Same mistake has gone out to many forums and media boards. Doesn't help that the publisher made not attempt to clarify from the beginning.

IIRC there's also an older Elric boardgame, right?
I haven't played it but there's an AH wargame. (Much as I like a good wargame, I'd like to see it as more of an adventure game).

Isn’t Mournblade just a translation of Loz’s Elric of Melnibone using a different system?

Isn’t Mournblade just a translation of Loz’s Elric of Melnibone using a different system?
They initially had a license with Mongoose, but then got it directly from Moorecock when Mongoose’s license expired.

The content definitely has a different layout and art direction and I’m not sure fully, but I don’t think it uses any sort of D100 system anymore. People may need to correct me on that.

Anyway, its one more RPG that the French audience have, that the English speaking audience doesn’t.

Anyway, its one more RPG that the French audience have, that the English speaking audience doesn’t.

So ... is the imbalance between that and the ones that English audiences have that French ones don't as little as 1:20?

I read a review that suggested that a lot of the Elric of Melnibone gazetter was included with Mourneblade but I can't verify that.
Checking my copy, I do see the "we'd like to thank" box on the copyright page (I blinked over it because I didn't care for EoM after my long love affair with Stormbringer). Parts of Mournblade's fluff are indeed a translation from the Mongoose publication. The 'entirely different beast' concerns the system used. And far better artwork than Mongoose offered. :tongue:

I've stolen bits and pieces of Mournblade for use in other games, but my French is nowhere nearly good enough to do more than casually browse and enjoy.

There's this (now five-ish years old) "First Look" article about Mournblade that includes confirmation of your statement.

Over on the Big Purple, the publisher did state they want to do an English version of Mournblade, but it would also be an update (to fix things they feel could be better). They hinted they found the right person to handle the translation, but didn't say much else

Over on the Big Purple, the publisher did state they want to do an English version of Mournblade, but it would also be an update (to fix things they feel could be better). They hinted they found the right person to handle the translation, but didn't say much else
"Incorporated errata" sounds great to me:thumbsup:!

Hello all,

I wanted to share the love and give you our excellent news :

I wanted to let you know that Elric RPG has a new version in english.

We, Le Département, are publishing Mournblade since 10 years now. This is a rcih game, with many scenarios, greats arts, cool game design and a strong roleplaying point of view.

We have been asked many times to translate Mournblade into english. As a reward to our backers on Elric, Rise of the Young Kingdoms Boardgame we have released Mournblade Starter Set.

Here is the news :

As some of you already know, we also publish tabletop roleplaying games! We have been publishing, for 10 years now, a very successfull RPG : Mournblade !
Mournblade is an official RPG based on the Elric Saga by Michael Moorcock.

And today, as a Tuesday Treat, we offer Mournblade Starter Set digital product to all backers of THE ETERNAL CHAMPION and THE WHITE WOLF pledges.

20773a4edad977fbcc697f4981b576cc_original.png

Immerse yourself in the dark fantasy world of Elric and his soul eating Black Sword : Stormbringer. This starter set gets you playing Mournblade using the CYD system designed and tailored for an exciting gaming experience in the world of Elric of Melniboné. Roleplay as a Chosen, a Champion of Law or Chaos. You have been chosen by the Lords of the Higher Worlds to serve their designs !

This starter set digital product contains everything you need to begin playing Mournblade. Just add dice and a pen.

• A 56-page rulebook containing core rules, a bit of sorcery, and equipment needed to fight in the Young Kingdoms.
  • A 30-page quest book Dangerous Games. This quest is an introduction to the world of Mournbalde. While alternating between action and combat, players will be able to explore the fundamentals of the game.
  • 6 pre-generated characters to choose from, including a sorcerer from Pan Tang, a brave Captain of the Purple Towns and a sellsword from Lormyr.
  • An HD original map of the Young Kingdoms

The complete Mournblade collection is soon to be released in English. We'll tell you more about it very soon, and in the meantime, we wish you a pleasant exploration of the Young Kingdoms!

Well, i thought I could resist but it was only ten Euros! I can’t wait to see the English version of Mournblade even if condensed.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back