My first OSR Adventure: Hidden Fête of the Krakonspiracy

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Sosthenes

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I was bored a bit on the holiday this Monday, and noticed that a game jam I forgot that I entered was in its last hours. So I tried throwing something together and actually finished it by typing on some key areas while in a meeting. But I just wanted to get something out there, too many unfinished projects on the backburner and I needed some "win".

So regard this more as a post-mortem than an ad for Hidden Fête of the Krakonspiracy. ;)

Some notes:
- Visually, tried to get as much as I could out of Apple's Pages to make parts of it look similar to one of the Necrotic Gnome adventures. Went well enough.
- Actually quite proud of my hacks to the map, i.e. the kraken and the coloring. Says enough about my artistic skills.
- Tried to go weird. Think I succeeded at spots.
- Quality of the writing gets worse each page. Started with a bullet-point-ish style, just pointing out usable highlights, went quite meandering at the later parts. Partially due to those parts being less monster-filled but more about the secrets and backgrounds of the dungeon, but still way too much. But mostly just because time was running out.
- Treasure not balanced. Probably too many reusable magic items and not enough silver and gold for the level aimed. I generally don't use XP for gold myself, so my intuition isn't good enough for this. Probably the one thing I'm going to revise.
- I didn't plan on having a "how to run this & how to solve this" part, but I probably still went way too obvious and one-sided.

I'm not fishing for compliments here, happy to get any criticism. Mostly doing this in a "hey, 10 push-ups aren't many, but a lot for me" manner.

Mostly doing this in a "hey, 10 push-ups aren't many, but a lot for me" manner.
I know the feeling:thumbsup:!

I'll check the adventure and give some feedback, too.

Just started looking at...on page 4 very much liking it. Comments to follow by pdf page.

General: Is this location constantly abuzz with those looking to renew or is there a possibility (based on how PCs find out) they can get there before hand. Not sure if the PCs are there to stop it or not, OR maybe just gather info on who is not what they seem (future blackmail info, or just intelligence), OR more importantly for loot the PCs may want to arrive after to steal any votive etc. offerings OR I suspect offerings are cast into the sea so they may want to be present to see if anything is worth stealing. Lastly, maybe the PCs are there to recover a votive offering (previous or one on it's way to be given).

Page 3: Just love result 5 under How?...don't know if have "Talk to Animals" type spells but when doing ole D&D PC druids would always talk to birds or rats or stray cats, etc. once a day to get the rumor mill....so fish talk may be an avenue. I am a big fan of tying a source of information to a PC character ability/spell etc. selection as a reward for players who do so. Likewise any PC who follows a sea or aquatic deity may have a channel of information.

Page 4: On the random encounters results 4 and 9 don't align well with a well trafficked area, would suggest where they are hunting. Just hunting the halls for intruders to eat as this is a secret lair so that is unlikely. Perhaps they are going to or from someplace and are always picky about "badges" (that is the Krests) so are very likely to notice. All said would mention in the encounter description that they will have this negative reaction if the PCs do not have a Krest. Maybe add in they will want to negotiate to "buy" any PC without a Krest from the other PCs with a Krest are pretending is their prisoner, you know to eat them. :smile:

Page 4: On Krests...a mention on how hard they are to forge...perhaps tie into some thief or assassin or bard level on ability to do or some such.

- Treasure not balanced. Probably too many reusable magic items and not enough silver and gold for the level aimed. I generally don't use XP for gold myself, so my intuition isn't good enough for this. Probably the one thing I'm going to revise.

Yeah, I didn't do that myself back in the early days of the hobby and something I've continue to ignore where/when a rpg promotes it. I strongly felt that gaining the treasure/gold/items was reward enough.

Also there just feels like to me that the game quickly becomes either starved due to this mechanic or can easily drift into Monty Haul game play. No issues if either is something that someone prefers but for me I just don't care for it.

p.s: Snagged it for $6.00, figure at a minimum it's gotta be worth at least that if not more. Gives me something to read while I wait to see if I won the bid on something I'm bidding on. heh. Plus Iike Necrotic Gnome's stuff, so if you did it in that style... awesome.

Page 5, Area 1: First love the color coded sections. Is this salt water or fresh. As it connects to the Kraken would say salt...but perhaps it is closer to fresh in this region (like an estuary) which would be less pleasant to the sea beings and a reason they don’t hang out here.

Page 5:
Room 5 "Food Storage" You have a refrigerator would add a wall oven (for baking) and perhaps a bucket or two of bait fish (after-all they also crave sea food); and add the other dimension to the table...I'd say whatever height a hobbit table would be. On treasure....perhaps a camouflaged trap door hidden under the gelatinous cube that has a chest, with coin and perhaps an emergency air breathing potion and maybe a heal potion.

This makes me wonder what the gelatinous cube keys off of on the Krests, may be interesting re the forgery. If it was smell perhaps the bait fish could be used, and perhaps a familiar or some such could clue in a forger.

On Kenneth, not sure what is the matter with him :smile:, would mention he can read lips. It's an easy way he can receive orders and may come in handy for the PCs. I'm figuring he is a slave or some captive kept for his baking skills. Would add in they have a surety for his good behavior; I'd go with that they have his dog.

Why for the above: Mostly familiars and PCs that can change into animals. (1) a familiar should be able to get up the chimney/exhaust (won’t be fun) I like to also give avenues for allies and outside the box action, especially if this becomes a running battle.

Here is revised/expanded Kenneth text:

"To be served by Kenneth, deaf-mute halfling page. Has krakonic krest and a severe cold. Doesn’t know much about any-thing besides sugary treats. He can read lips, and also knows the hand signs of Thieves Cant. They have his dog (Room xx) is why he serves without trying to escape."

Page 5: Room 6 "Former Living Quarters" I get people leave loose change behind and this is classic OD&D, but would likely make the silver very corroded (maybe even a big bag of 100sp but x2 encumbrance as all one corroded together mass that will be hard to break up...with perhaps wrapped jewelry hidden in the middle to reward the greedy or those adept enough to realize the mass is larger than it should be). I like the cloak clasp, perhaps it is found in via a secret door check behind some loose stone and its "surprisingly uncorroded" nature can clue one into it being magical.

Page 6: Room 7 "Deep End" Love this encounter and room. Also the snake aligns with this water being less saline. Would call it a Burmese python, or one that likes water. Also it must not attack those with krests or else it would have been killed by now.

Page 6: Room 8 "Eternal Flame?" The phrase "portal subterfuge" is confusing. Would just say "treat as a hidden door."

This room in many ways is a death trap for level 2-4. Spectre being powerful life draining undead, this is TPK territory. You may want to "convert" the spectre to a guardian that does not life drain or only life drains those bearing a true krest, or beings of the sea as these are the enemies of the flame. You may also want to have some iconography that indicates this flame is dedicated forces opposed to those of the sea.

On the spectre would only have them hunt the opener only as long as the flame is out. Would have the flame restore in 1d4 rounds after brought to a dry area, or censor dried off. Also the spectre range should be limited to the dungeon, as would make it a guardian of the flame...as would be any who turn into a spectre.

The "never be cold again" can leave as very OD&D but as a DM I would nix it immediately, too campaign disrupting. A powerful thing might secretly grant is a free raise dead if slain by water or a creature of the sea...very useful and not campaign disrupting. There may also be a reward if return it to the proper owners.

Overall I liked the design and layout of the dungeon. I'd re-name the East Cavern (room 15) or put up a compass rose on the map to remind the GM of the directions. Currently the cavern looks like it's in the South West corner of the map which is confusing. Area 20 under the Scrag Guard has a typo. "set hear as a guard." Hear, should be here.

Agree with some of xanther xanther 's comments and improvements as well. Maybe the water would be more brackish on the water description since you have fresh and saltwater mixing? Not sure I agree about the "never be cold again" as being too disrupting. It is a powerful item and I'd say the key item in the whole dungeon, but I don't feel its unbalancing. As long as you don't see multiples of items of this sort of power in every single dungeon.

p.s: Snagged it for $6.00, figure at a minimum it's gotta be worth at least that if not more. Gives me something to read while I wait to see if I won the bid on something I'm bidding on. heh. Plus Iike Necrotic Gnome's stuff, so if you did it in that style... awesome.
Oh wow, thanks a lot. I actually felt a bit guilty after reading this ;)

I agree with pretty much every point brought up here. Yeah, the water might need some clarification. I do call it "brine" and "salty", but only in one section, but should probably make it clear at the very beginning of the adventure.

Yes, a spectre seems quite harsh, at least there should be a way to make amends or a more clear way to show what's wrong. I have to see what I can put in here, without bloating the room too much. I thought the "never be cold again" mostly as a permanent "Endure Elements", so nothing too breaking. But it is rather bad design, the favor needs to be more obscure to get a reward, and if it's not that obvious, you shouldn't get something trying to kill you.

Hey each DM to there own, but "never cold again" does that mean they are now immune to any cold based spell or breath weapon? Or automatically take half damage and save for none, etc. Not sure what limits there are on an "Endure Elements" spell but if that is the intent would just mention like an "Endure Elements" spell. My shying away from these things is based on experience with them way back, frankly a less likely to have unintended consequences, and always welcome, could be to just add HP permanently (such as roll your based HD+1, and gain those as new HP).

I kind of disagree that rewards need to be obvious. Not very old school that things need to be telegraphed and known, and (to me) decreases verisimilitude.
There are so many things where the rewards, or penalties, are not obvious. As what may happen or not, the potential reward or bane, I'd say have it there but tie its discovery to "good play"...very old school as well.

In this context "good play" is not just playing ones character as a collection of combat stats and abilities, but interacting with the setting (role playing vs. roll playing), thinking, gathering information and building a character with abilities, skills, etc. that are not all min/max combat but facilitate setting.

For me, this is the big advantage always gave to Bards (back when they were a suboptimal combat or magic choice), they excel at knowledge valuable to PCs, knowing myths, iconography etc. they would be the ones to recognize the censor of x as the eternal flame of y and perhaps know a story of how it healed, provided life etc. Or a thief may know this, as you know that's a valuable thing and those are the legends they are "taught." Likewise perhaps a cleric. All this in my mind this is part of the heart of old school play and setting, which is not hard coded in the rules because frankly it was likely thought obvious back in the day...when the target consumer was someone who was 19 as opposed to 12.

Hey each DM to there own, but "never cold again" does that mean they are now immune to any cold based spell or breath weapon? Or automatically take half damage and save for none, etc. Not sure what limits there are on an "Endure Elements" spell but if that is the intent would just mention like an "Endure Elements" spell.
That's the issue, that spell isn't in the game. I thought "(not immune to cold magic, but +1 to saves)" was clear enough, and didn't want to make the entry much longer, but I decided to make a revision and this will include a clearer reward.

I kind of disagree that rewards need to be obvious. Not very old school that things need to be telegraphed and known, and (to me) decreases verisimilitude.
Shouldn't be obvious, but there needs to be a hint to start things. You opened a door, there's a brazier burning, it will go out in a couple of seconds. If you were going through a temple and this would be in the sanctum, there's at least a hint that this shouldn't happen.

Right now, I'm thinking of a pair of skeletons, huddled around the flame, holding hands. Water immediately goes in, flame goes out.
If the PCs then spend time to kindle a fire in it again, they get some minor flame-related benefit. If they steal it, the skeletons awaken, start to burn and will attack. This should solve a few problems. You get hints that this was some kind of sanctuary, inaction doesn't cause death-by-spectre and the enemy is more related to the scenario. And the blessing would be for the whole party.

There's a fine line between telegraphing and providing little to no hints. "magnificent bronze censer plate" was basically all I wrote. Even with "with sacred symbols" or some room description to this regard would've been a huge improvement.

And boy, do we have differing opinions about the inquisitiveness of 12 year olds ;)

"That's the issue, that spell isn't in the game. I thought "(not immune to cold magic, but +1 to saves)" was clear enough, and didn't want to make the entry much longer, but I decided to make a revision and this will include a clearer reward." - Sosthenes Sosthenes

It was clear to me, that's why I didn't feel it was over powered. Powerful? Sure but not unbalanced. Though I do rate it as the most powerful item in the dungeon and wouldn't want to put anything else in the dungeon of that level of power, which I mentioned in a previous. post. :smile:

....And boy, do we have differing opinions about the inquisitiveness of 12 year olds ;)
Fair enough :smile: Perhaps I just met too many by the book 12 year olds when 16...and must still hold to my prejudices. I suspect I do not remember all the inquisitive and imaginative 12 year olds because they were just cool and OK by me...to my oh so world wise 16 year old self. :smile:

On magical gifts, just my take and why that is. This is Sparta (I mean old school) after all, on should be able to design fast an loose and expect ones readers to adjust, mangle or re-write as needed. These are purely my critical comments.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back