New D&D movie and Chris Pine

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
So the question is, are gaming/fantasy inspired movies on the road to becoming a new subgenre?
With crowdfunding and the way CGI and special effects are becoming cheaper (at least if you stick to the off-the-shelf stuff), I reckon they could.

And I'd be happy to watch movies made by people who love their source material, even if they're not as polished as the big studios could make them.

Chris Pine, huh? Maybe he'll play a bard...

tumblr_p65molCaSo1rfz5gpo1_500.png

With crowdfunding and the way CGI and special effects are becoming cheaper (at least if you stick to the off-the-shelf stuff), I reckon they could.

And I'd be happy to watch movies made by people who love their source material, even if they're not as polished as the big studios could make them.
Yeah, I'd like that as well:thumbsup:!
Also, "polished" isn't the first word I'd use for the big studio movies. Nor the tenth:shade:.

Not very likely.

Hollywood is awful at fantasy films, they proved this after LOTR.
And how, exactly, is that different from superhero movies:grin:?

Tea is pretty expensive in China these days, I hear
That's actually got something to do with the price of tea in China, actually.

Being bad at some kind of movies never stops Hollywood from making more of them if they sell:thumbsup:!

Being bad at some kind of movies never stops Hollywood from making more of them if they sell

Hollywood is awful at selling fantasy films, they proved this after LOTR.

I can picture it now:

Gruff, surly dwarf with a Scottish accent

Pretty, acrobatic female elf archer

Nerdy, socially awkward comic relief Wizard

Quirky, wisecracking, 4th wall breaking Rogue (probably a lesbian)

Chris Pine as generic warrior guy

If I had money to waste, I'd bet money on this

I can picture it now:

Gruff, surly dwarf with a Scottish accent

Pretty, acrobatic female elf archer

Nerdy, socially awkward comic relief Wizard

Quirky, wisecracking, 4th wall breaking Rogue (probably a lesbian)

Chris Pine as generic warrior guy

If I had money to waste, I'd bet money on this
So how far along are you on the screenplay?

Incorrect, those sell just fine
So your point is that Hollwywood won't do fantasy movies because they sell worse than superheroes?
I mean, I can see that, but then I can also see a new D&D movie reversing this trend:shade:.

So your point is that Hollwywood won't do fantasy movies because they sell worse than superheroes?

No, that Hollywood will completely misunderstand what makes the rare fantasy film that is popular makes it popular and will pump out a few bombs attempting and failing to jump on what they see as a potential trend, and then, when those inevitably fail, declare that audiences don't in fact like fantasy films.

...just as with what happened in the wake of LOTR...

I mean, I can see that, but then I can also see a new D&D movie reversing this trend

I can't. If Lord of the Rings, couldn't, I don't think "LOTR Lite" will stand a chance

No, that Hollywood will completely misunderstand what makes the rare fantasy film that is popular makes it popular and will pump out a few bombs attempting and failing to jump on what they see as a potential trend, and then, when those inevitably fail, declare that audiences don't in fact like fantasy films.

Until ~10 years ago, this was also the case for supers and there were a fair number of bombs. Marvel figured out some consistency. Execs might figure out fantasy but they haven't yet.

If you look at the late 70s, you'll see a similar post Star Wars glut of bad SF.

...just as with what happened in the wake of LOTR...

I can't. If Lord of the Rings, couldn't, I don't think "LOTR Lite" will stand a chance
OK, you do make a reasonable call for pessimism:thumbsup:!

But, OTOH, maybe this movie might stand a chance. I point you to the loads of people who are watching Youtube campaigns without having ever played in one, rising popularity of "stranded in the game" shows, and popularity of the Witcher series... :shade:
IOW, I think the zeitgeist is slowly changing in favour of gaming. Would it be fast enough to make this movie a success? No idea, odds are against it. But we'll see.

Until ~10 years ago, this was also the case for supers and there were a fair number of bombs. Marvel figured out some consistency. Execs might figure out fantasy but they haven't yet.

If you look at the late 70s, you'll see a similar post Star Wars glut of bad SF.
Yeah, more or less that. There's always a first success!
Whether this is going to be that movie, is up for grabs:devil:.

Yeah, I'm pessimistic. I'd rather be proven wrong then get my hopes up.

They should just do a live-action version of the cartoon from the 80s. Like the new Jumanji movies, have a bunch of modern-day teenagers get sucked into the D&D world while taking a retro roller-coaster theme park ride.

Minus that fucking unicorn... unless it is voiced by someone awesome, like Joe Pesci.

The plot synopsis sounds dull and unoriginal but at least there's no mention of kids getting sucked into a magical world while playing a board game.

It won’t be a real D&D movie unless Chris Pine’s character dies randomly sometime in the second act and a new character played by Chris Pratt suddenly appears and takes over his role in the story with little comment from the other characters.

It won’t be a real D&D movie unless Chris Pine’s character dies randomly sometime in the second act and a new character played by Chris Pratt suddenly appears and takes over his role in the story with little comment from the other characters.
I mean that would be awesome. If someone made both a serious plot and acknowledged all the D&D gamer norms without falling into total camp

Ah, Zoe McClellan. I remembet her appearance on Nowhere Man, and the film The Wrong Girl, which taught us you always can spot the murderer by the retail worker who stands up to a customer who randomly yells at them.

Clearly, The Wrong Girl’s screen play was written by someone who never worked retail.

My fix for the old D&D movie has always been that there's a group of players sitting around a table. The events of the movie actually make sense in that context. For instance, Snails' player says "Who needs climb walls?" while making up his character. The main thief guy's player's girlfriend comes and the DM (Jeremy Irons) makes her start at first level. The "only the chosen one may enter" happens when none of the other players show up. Both endings are used with the reshoot used in the theatrical release happening after Snails' player flips the table. But they're not being sucked into the setting they're just playing D&D and we're seeing it play out.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back