New Marvel RPG coming in 2022

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
It was hardly journalism, but it was really great at pimping the latest hawtness
I think almost everyone was on the train at the beginning. But soon you could see that there was something very wrong. I bought very few comics between 1995-2000. I think maybe when Bane broke Bruce’s back was one of the last things I was into. G.I.Joe was cancelled. Just not much excited me until the millennium.

I have so much nostalgia for 90s nerd culture magazines. Comics magazines, Tabletop gaming magazines, video game magazines.

Like, I admit everything I got from them is taken over by online outlets and they don't really hold any real purpose for me anymore, but it was such a cool thing back in the day to get the latest issue of more people talking about shit you liked.

I think almost everyone was on the train at the beginning. But soon you could see that there was something very wrong. I bought very few comics between 1995-2000. I think maybe when Bane broke Bruce’s back was one of the last things I was into. G.I.Joe was cancelled. Just not much excited me until the millennium.

I switched to reading Vertigo, which got me through the 90's. Then when I started going to Kubert, I started getting exposed to a lot of the weirder indy stuff I missed growing up, back when no one cared about it, so it was cheap. I remember picking up all the Miracleman issues for like a buck a piece.

I got back into comics in 2001 because of GI.Joe being revived by Devil’s Due and I also got into JMS/JRJR Spidey. I have never really left since then.

I got back into comics in 2001 because of GI.Joe being revived by Devil’s Due and I also got into JMS/JRJR Spidey. I have never really left since then.

I'm down to just Hellboy titles these days, and that's winding down now that the story is officially over.

Everything else I buy is collections of Silver & Bronze Age stuff.

Who exactly will be buying this Marvel RPG if not RPG players? What percentage of the RPG playing populace do you reliably think this is?

I would imagine that the hope is to reach a larger audience than currently exists for a superhero RPG. There's a cultural zeitgeist with RPGs and the streaming phenomenon. And 5E D&D has brought a lot of attention to the hobby, and brought in a lot of new people. I expect that they're hoping to offer these new players a superhero option using one of the most recognizable brands in the world.

I am speculating, just as you have been, so I won't pretend to be able to say reliably what percentage of RPG players that may be. I do think that the way you keep looking at the existing RPG audience as the sum of who it's possible to reach is very odd, but also very telling.

And I don't mean to cut down your comment so much, but ultimately I think your opinion of the current Marvel comics content is a negative one, which of course is fine, and so that clearly seems to be influencing your view of the game. And although I think your take on Marvel comics overall is largely off, I don't expect that either of us will change the other's mind, so I don't see any need to get into it.

True, but that’s solely because the suits let Feige do his thing, and his thing was inspired by older comics. That thing ended, and has moved on to a new phase. Are we expecting them to go back to older comics? Considering Love and Thunder, I’m thinking no. I am interested in Natalie Portman getting a movie, or at least get to bust some ass alongside superjacked Hemsworth.

Thank god they turned all of Secret Empire into a joke line in Endgame.

Zeus entering the MCU means the door is open for Hercules, which means an opening for The Totally Awesome Hulk so they will be free to kill off Bruce Banner.

It will be interesting to see if the MCU follows the newest comics, if it will continue to be as popular.

I would say that the MCU is based as much on newer comics as it is on older comics. I mean, the basic origins are pretty much the classics, with a few exceptions.

I mean, MCU Hawkeye is pretty much Ultimate Hawkeye. And the Chitauri and the Avengers being a SHIELD initiative and the MCU iteration of Nick Fury are all from The Ultimates. Maria Hill is from the Bendis era.

Winter Soldier, Civil War, parts of Infinity (the Black Order, primarily), Planet Hulk, Extremis, pretty much everything about the Guardians of the Galaxy. Falcon taking over as Cap. The upcoming Hawkeye series will introduce Kate Bishop and will be based on the acclaimed Faction/Aja run from a few years back.

I don't really see how you think the MCU is based on only the old stories. There is a lot of stuff in there from the modern era.

Did you go to Vegas and have a hypnotist wipe all memory of everthing WotC? :devil:

Drum roll.gif

It was hardly journalism, but it was really great at pimping the latest hawtness

I worked on their website toward the end of their run, and yes, there was very little journalism going on.

4th edition should be in the dictionary next to “bad marketing” or “how not to market”.
As an RPG 4e wasn't good but I think it could have done a fine job as a campaign-style miniature skirmish or board game.

Comics need to not be in just comic book stores. If they had been when I discovered comics, I would never have discovered comics.

Thank God they were in gas stations and grocery stores back then.
Same here. I would buy G.I. Joe at the convenience store down the street. Like you, I probably would never discovered them in the first place had they been a comic book store exclusive.

4th edition should be in the dictionary next to “bad marketing” or “how not to market”.
Why? The OGL is what did 4e in. It allowed a competitor to keep publishing an older edition, thus allowing the fanbase to keep with their old games.

Otherwise, people would have complained, like they did from 2e to 3e, but caved in the end, like they did between 2e to 3e.

As an RPG 4e wasn't good but I think it could have done a fine job as a campaign-style miniature skirmish or board game.
Folk keep on saying that, but 5e and Pathfinder are still mining it for ideas today, along with some fairly well-regarded indies like 13th Age and Lancer. Given how focus grouped early 5e in particular was, I think WotC in particular wouldn't have hesitated to drop any mechanics it inherited from 4e if they weren't being accepted, like the more dynamic version of the Fighter.

Clearly it wasn't the most popular thing around, but I think there was more acceptance than we recognise in our forum bubbles.

The advertising alienated a large portion of the fanbase before the edition even came out. It was like Zima-levels of pretentious. I recall the huge todo on the forums in those days.

The OGL is what did 4e in. It allowed a competitor to keep publishing an older edition, thus allowing the fanbase to keep with their old games.

That same situation doesn't appear to have affected 5e

wtf is ESPN?

Huge sports media conglomerate in the US (they have some markets outside the US but I can't remember exactly where). Run multiple cable tv channels + radio + more all centered around sports.

John Wesley Shipp will always be "my" Flash. I liked that show. David Cassidy was Mirror Master, and we got Mark Hamill as Trickster (which was really his audition for the voice of Joker in Batman: The Animated Series)!
I liked it too, but that doesn’t change the fact that they put it opposite NYPD Blue, and it’s ratings sucked.

I was super happy when he was Barry’s dad in the new show.

Huge sports media conglomerate in the US (they have some markets outside the US but I can't remember exactly where). Run multiple cable tv channels + radio + more all centered around sports.
Oh sports, that explains why I was oblivious. Googling it, I see it's actually Dutch. Oh well, Disney can have it.

John Wesley Shipp will always be "my" Flash. I liked that show. David Cassidy was Mirror Master, and we got Mark Hamill as Trickster (which was really his audition for the voice of Joker in Batman: The Animated Series)!

John wesley Shipp got to be Flash's dad, Jay Garrick from Earth 2, and reprise his role as Flash in the Elseworlds event, and Mark Hamill was also the Trickster in the new series.

Folk who wanted the 3.x style of play had Pathfinder. There were fewer folk who wanted to stick with the 4e style, but they had 13th Age as well as putting out their own games. Folk who wanted to write for 5e also had an accessible entry path through DM's Guild.

The advertising alienated a large portion of the fanbase before the edition even came out. It was like Zima-levels of pretentious. I recall the huge todo on the forums in those days.

That’s because 4e fundamentally changed from D&D, becoming unrecognisable as a variant to so many. Given the choice of “No Longer Published by WotC D&D” and “Not D&D”, they made the natural choice and Paizo ruled the roost until 5e.

With 5e, they dialed a lot of the surface differences of 4e back, while keeping several core game concepts, and the general WotC formula. 3e/PF stuff had reached Peak Splat a long time ago. The 10 year olds in 2000 were adults. 5e’s motto was always “Close Enough to Play” and they succeeded. They’re no longer attempting to scrub older versions of D&D from the collective memory of humanity, they’re selling it. They’re no longer relying on a changed system and idiotic cartoon ads to bring in the “New Players”, they went out and got them with an aggressive social media and organised play presence. In other words, they’re acting like a 21st Century American business instead of getting the Marketing Intern who’s a 5th Nephew of someone on the board to try things from a Business 101 book from the days of Mad Men.

That’s because 4e fundamentally changed from D&D, becoming unrecognisable as a variant to so many.

Yeah, that was pretty much my point. 4e didn't fail because the OGL gave the opportunity for competition. 4e failed because the competition was closer to actual D&D than D&D was. Hence 5th edition was plenty successful despite all that competition still existing.

I believe that free will can exist even if the future is fixed. They are not contradictory.
Well, that is a central tenet of some world religions, indeed...and of some kinds of GMs, too, accidentally:shade:!

OK, I realize this is an old post.

New question: with all the retrofitting of canon, would Blades in the Dark be a good system for Marvel? "I used to think X was true, but Y was true all along":devil:!
Riddle me that:thumbsup:!

Yeah, that was pretty much my point. 4e didn't fail because the OGL gave the opportunity for competition. 4e failed because the competition was closer to actual D&D than D&D was. Hence 5th edition was plenty successful despite all that competition still existing.
I know, I was just adding “emphasis”. :grin:

There are dozens of solutions that I'd be fine with.

As I said, you found you're own rationaizations to enjoy it, that's fine for you. There's no reason to cast shade because your rationalizations don't work for me..

What are some of these dozen solutions you'd be fine with?

What are some of these dozen solutions you'd be fine with?

Off the top of my head...

complete reboot
soft reboot (ala 2099)
dropping continuity - each individual creator's run is a self-contained continuity (ala MAX)
alternate universes - as per the DC multiverse, with only certain stories assigned to "616" (the "prime" timeline)
officially retconning certain events out of continuity, with an in-world explanation
a new continuity running parallel to the overall Marvel universethat picks up at the end of the Bronze Age
Each "Age" of comics divided into it's own self-contained Continuity allowing writers to go back and do official "conclusions" to character's stories taking place in those continuities, and other stories taking place "between the cracks" ala Busiek's Spider-man Year One

(obviously each of these options requires a specific approach and I could write an essay regarding each one, but the list should be viewed as with the universal caveat "handled correctly")

Reboots are generally INCREDIBLY hated by the fanbase. (The only exceptions being 2099 and Ultimate, because they were in ADDITION to the main runs. (Though Ultimate got pretty hated later, but not because of being an alt universe, but because of some really bad decisions)).

I can't speak for everybody - just me - but I got into comics in the Claremont era of kudzu plots and absolutely fell in love with the medium. My two other loves are soap operas and pro wrestling, which run continually and tend to carry stories over from episode to episode.

I'm not really a fan of standalone stuff.

I really enjoy the soap opera-esque long-form narrative style myself, but to pull it off well requires a really strong editorial hand and an overarching vision of the like Marvel hasn't had since Shooter

Side note talking about Multiverses. You know what would make a great Marvel TV series? Exiles. Cause they could have all kinds of amazing guest stars, but never have to worry about "screwing up the main universe".

Two reasons from what I can tell. First, they claimed to 'retract' the OGL (Which they legally can't, but never underestimate people's gullibility and unwillingness to actual check facts, even in a cursory manner), and second they marketed it on going 'back to it's roots' but modernizing them.

Not to mention Paizo's... Odd game influencing choices seems to have backfired on them after a while. But I'm hearing conflicting back end chatter on this, so... Who knows?

I haven't heard a peep about pathfinder 2nd ed since it came out. Part of that may be the regulars at the Pub mostly weren't the target audience, but I dunno.

I didn't see any appreciable affect on the OSR of any declarations by WoTC about retracting the OGL (first I am hearing about that I think).

Personlly I think 5e managed to hit a sweet middle ground with rules that were modernized but were enough of a callback to TR editions that it didn't ostracize the grognards, an seemed tto have mostly placated everyone for a while.

I’m not sure the OGL is revocable but even if it was, many more people now know copyright rules in regards to game mechanics and I don’t think Wizards of the Coast would win a number of lawsuits in that regard.

I’m not sure the OGL is revocable but even if it was, many more people now know copyright rules in regards to game mechanics and I don’t think Wizards of the Coast would win a number of lawsuits in that regard.
It's not. But the average person doesn't know this.

Where are you getting this claim that WotC has 'retracted' the OGL? Sounds like internet rumour bullshit to me.

Edited to add: The OGL is still up on the WotC site and hasn't been changed since 2016:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back