nuTSR/Wonderfilled? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that is some awful stuff. They need to shut their Twitter off pronto. A litmus test to play RPGs? GTFO.
They need to delete that whole thread (and several others) with haste. Cringeworthy, is the vibe.
Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 6.54.48 PM.png

I cannot pull my eyes away from the pages and pages of a train wreck unfolding before me.

What legacy did Ernie inherit? He bought up a trademark after a guy he worked with on Gygax Magazine let the trademark lapse accidentally. Jayson said on social media he would most likely win a lawsuit but doesn’t have the dough to hire a lawyer so he’s licensing out the TSR name to keep Top Secret afloat.

It's odd.

I mean if my Dad was this amazing shoemaker, who at some point had to sell his shop off due to business difficulties, what the hell 'legacy' would I 'inherit'?

It’s almost like TSR succeeded in spite of itself.

I think the OGL is the best thing that ever happened to D&D, because it took it out of the hands of businessmen and gave it to the fans, regardless of what the label/Logo is used for or owned by. At this moment in history, anyone can play, write, or publish their version of D&D. And that to me is more an indicator of success for role-players in general than the profits of any company.

I was nonplussed that everyone was so nrgged out about this, but I gotta say, I was wrong. Teach me to be optimistic.

I think the OGL is the best thing that ever happened to D&D, because it took it out of the hands of businessmen and gave it to the fans, regardless of what the label/Logo is used for or owned by. At this moment in history, anyone can play, write, or publish their version of D&D. And that to me is more an indicator of success for role-players in general than the profits of any company.
I agree with you and would go farther. I think the OGL is one of the greatest things to ever happen to the hobby.

In that interview, EGGhead Jr. looks like he's trying to find his car after a Jimmy Buffet concert.
Tripped on a floptop
Stepped on a pop top
Cut my heel, had to cruise on back home
But there's booze in the blender
And soon it will render
That frozen concoction that helps me hang on

My take:
Why is D&D under the Wizards label instead of Wizards using the TSR label or Hasbro (WotC's owner) using the Hasbro label?
Cause Wizards of the Coast, due to Magic and their previous RPG efforts, still had a positive reputation in the industry. A reputation that TSR had by that point squandered.
Whereas Hasbro has a mixed but not entirely negative reputation but is mainly associated with family board games.
WotC could have kept the TSR brand to sell D&D along with their Magic product under Wizards, and when Hasbro bought them out, they could have put everything under the Hasbro label. There are reasons why they didn't.

JG

An analogy: after Tim Schafer had that big hit Kickstarter to produce a new point-and-click adventure games, a bunch of Sierra old hands ran Kickstarters to make new games (or remakes of old games). Some of these crashed and burned, some of these came out but were no better than "alright", no great shakes, and someone who'd followed a lot of those projects made the good point when discussing it elsewhere that it felt like a lot of them basically hadn't played a point-and-click adventure since Sierra shuttered and hadn't really kept up with what the scene was doing in all those years when indies and small studios were putting out new point-and-clicks.

This feels like a similar situation: not only has the conversation moved forwards in mainstream game design and indie/story-game design, it's also moved forwards in the OSR scene and the world of retro-clones, and Ernie and others seem to have not kept up with any of it. They're popping up with something which seems irrelevant to a great many people, and to the people it might be relevant to and excite, they seem awkwardly out of step.
The "monestising nostalgia" era of kickstarter, or...
1624666167523.png

Retro t-shirts are my thing and I was hoping to buy one with the sweet old-school TSR logo (one with the wizard) at the Dungeon Hobby Shop Museum. Unfortunately the t-shirts are a disappointing polyester-cotton blend. I might as well wear broken glass against my skin. Ah well.

This feels like a similar situation: not only has the conversation moved forwards in mainstream game design and indie/story-game design, it's also moved forwards in the OSR scene and the world of retro-clones, and Ernie and others seem to have not kept up with any of it. They're popping up with something which seems irrelevant to a great many people, and to the people it might be relevant to and excite, they seem awkwardly out of step.
Yeah, it wouldn’t even be hard for them to just take a look at the current state of the OSR and publish stuff under the OGL that basically is the D&D they’d want to produce, and they might even get paid a small sum while building their brand. But that would require they 1) understand the current state of the industry and 2) stop shitposting on Twitter like it’s some kind of performance art trolling.

Ugh, I spent way too much time on Twitter today watching a trainwreck.

I don't undertsand why that website is so ppoular, navigating through comments is an exercize in frustration.

My morbid curiosity is more than slated, and I once again reaffirmed my conclusion that Twitter is cancer.

Waking up to read about new clusterfuckery©® from someone who wants to sell something seems to me to be like punching holes in the side of a ship they are about to launch.

I was pleased and happy to hear of the TSR name coming back to sell games and catering for the old school. That was two days ago. Now I'm sticking around to see if they pour dollar bills or petrol on their trashfire of a company launch.

*sigh*

(reaches for more popcorn, which isn't a healthy breakfast)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back