Rutger Hauer, RIP

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Woah, didn’t see that coming. The films he made with Verhoven in the 70s are crazy and worth checking out.

Just rewatched Nighthawks a few weeks ago. It is a solid actioner, he’s definitely the best thing in it, it isn’t Stallone’s finest moment, he comes across as very stiff. There’s one inadvertently funny moment where Hauer kills a hostage and Stallone’s response is so minimal you’d think he was waiting for an elevator door to open.

Last edited:
Just realized he added quite a bit to his Blade Runner monologue, including the iconic “like tears... in the rain.”

Damn.

Really saddened by this one, he was one of those actors I was always very excited to see on screen, even when doing low-budget schlock

My fav film of his is the little seen SOLDIERS OF ORANGE. Though I have to admit to loving the last line he says in WANTED: DEAD OR ALIVE.

Quite a loss...

I rather enjoyed Crossworlds, though it's strictly a B film...

220px-Crossworlds-movie.jpg

But my favourite Hauer film besides Bladerunner is definitely Ladyhawke...

IMG_1029.jpg

Really saddened by this one, he was one of those actors I was always very excited to see on screen, even when doing low-budget schlock
Yep, he was always fun to watch. It’s a shame to watch all my favorite creators pass.

One of my favorite schlock Hauer movies is Split Second from 1992. I also remember Wanted Dead or Alive being on in heavy rotation during the latter ‘80’s...

I even enjoyed him in Smallville

He was a great actor, though underrated. he handled comedy, action, romance, horror and serious drama and shone in all of them.

Ladyhawke always makes me cry, I loved Bladerunner, The Drifter was a truly scary film in which he was perfectly cast. I even liked him in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, where he hammed it up to 11. Blind Fury was really good and Hobo with a Shotgun was him playing it straight for laughs, pretty much a good psycho. Flesh and Blood was excellent. Someone mentioned the one where he was a bounty hunter and the last scene was him pulling the pin from a grenade in the villain's mouth, saying "F*ck the Bonus". He made an excellent villain in Nighthawks.

He was a great actor, though underrated. he handled comedy, action, romance, horror and serious drama and shone in all of them.

Ladyhawke always makes me cry, I loved Bladerunner, The Drifter was a truly scary film in which he was perfectly cast. I even liked him in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, where he hammed it up to 11. Blind Fury was really good and Hobo with a Shotgun was him playing it straight for laughs, pretty much a good psycho. Flesh and Blood was excellent. Someone mentioned the one where he was a bounty hunter and the last scene was him pulling the pin from a grenade in the villain's mouth, saying "F*ck the Bonus". He made an excellent villain in Nighthawks.

All great moments. The bounty hunter one is Wanted Dead or Alive.

I loved Split Second. "We need bigger guns."
It is definitely a B movie but the way he plays the straight man to his partner’s, Alastair Duncan, theories and later disbelief is great. If they had only done the final battle a little better it would have gone a long way toward redeeming the film.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back