[technique] Running NPCs like they're 'next' to you?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Shipyard Locked

How long do I have?
Reaction score
So I attended a one-shot yesterday, and the most notable thing about it (to me) was the way the GM ran the NPCs.

Usually (I believe), a GM will look right at the players while describing an NPC, then play them using their body language and speak as if they were the NPC.

This guy though, when a new NPC entered the action, would look at the empty space to his right and describe the NPC as if they were standing there, 'pointing' and gesturing at salient features, expressing his personal opinion of what he was 'seeing' through facial expressions, etc.

When the NPC talked or did things he kept the same level of 'remove' by using literary description and still 'looking' at the NPC instead of acting it out and doing voices. Stuff like "He blows cigar smoke rings at you while grinning and says with a chuckle..."

It was all as if he was an interpreter rather than a performer, and almost a member of the audience. I don't know if the others focused on this as much as I did, but I've personally never seen it before and I started to wonder about the advantages and disadvantages of it. For me at least, it really helped me forget the GM's appearance and how it might clash with NPC portrayals and focus on the description being given. I think it also diffused tension because we wouldn't get upset at the GM playing some bastard we suspected of representing the GM's id, he clearly didn't like this guy he was "describing" either.

Is this some basic technique I've just never seen before? Have you encountered this? What do you think of it?

No, never seen that, but it sounds fun.

I'm not sure of it would work in our group, as some of our players are getting older and are hard of hearing, so it's best to talk facing them rather than looking to the side.

Haven't experienced or tried that, but anything that works, works! :thumbsup:

I can't quite tell if I'd like it or find it distracting. I imagine a lot depends on how well the referee does it; some techniques work better for one person than the same technique will work for another person.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Different but for me different is good. May try it out in the future.

Never seen this, though of course I've seen GMs acting out characters in 3rd person. It's an interesting trick that I might have to try:smile:.

I wouldn’t do it as a GM because I enjoy playing my NPCs. But as a player — sounds intriguing! Would love to see it in action.

If you can pull it off it's great but if you can't it comes off a bit silly.

Seems like a useful technique for describing a character physically, but I don't think I'd want to run an NPC like that overall.

Haven’t done it by looking at an empty seat, but otherwise sounds like what I’ve done and like. IIRC it was one of two schools of thought back in the day. I generally dislike the impersonation, voices, etc. and really dislike how media portrays D&D as being that way, let alone the dress up....seriously

Screen%2BShot%2B2016-12-26%2Bat%2B11.45.43%2BPM.jpg

let alone the dress up....seriously

I personally find the dressing up and LARPing in general to sort of be missing one of the key advantages of tabletop. I don't want them to focus on me or our actual surroundings, I want them to 'see' the NPC and the place in their imagination. I think I might give this technique a try, with adjustments.

Dressing up at the table is a bit much for me but as a GM I always tended towards using some gestures and voices at the table to get across character. I often switch between first person and third person as both GM and player. As a GM I find it helps loosens up the players too. I'm pretty comfortable with some of the inherent silliness of RPing and find if you embrace it the game becomes more fun. But I find humour a big part of most the games I've played.

I don't have any issue with others wanting to speak strictly in third person at the table though, it is all about what works for them.

Dressing up at the table is a bit much for me...
If a player wants to dress up as, I have no issue with it especially if it helps him get in character. If this gal turned up for the game decked out as Red Sonja, who am I to tell her to put a sweatshirt on? Even if we are playing Traveller... :hehe:
rscp02.jpg
Heck, I'll even let Prince Adam dress up if it makes the game more fun.
3424697b418af80e762e7c9d3c2a9cbb.jpg
But I'm not dressing up either as a player or a referee.
I often switch between first person and third person as both GM and player.
Me too. Usually 3rd person for minor interactions and 1st person for an important NPC.

Last edited:
Dressing up at the table is a bit much for me
But the chicks dig it:tongue:!

I'm completely serious, BTW. A number of female players that had never tried tabletop RPGs had the same first question when I was trying to get them into the hobby.
The question is "but where do you take the costumes from":grin:? They seemed to assume you'd need to dress up for a session...

In all cases, I resolved it by explaining that dress-up is not a required part of the game, but it's encouraged if it helps them get in character.
In at least one case, the new player left the room, and came back dressed as a witch (and one who was from the Valejo school of dressing female spellcasters, might I add). Her live-in boyfriend, who was also going to play, didn't seem to mind.
The game proceeded without any incidents due to clothing, though I have no idea whether they continued after that. (I had a regular group at the time and didn't have time for another, and they were a part of a friends circle I left soon after. But if they had, I have no doubts that they'd have had no issues dealing with either the roleplaying or the rules part).

There were other similar incidents as well. None of them was a problem, either. In some cases it seemed to be a player that didn't want to dress up, but suspected it would be required.

Bottomline, there's room in the hobby for all kind of styles, from borderline LARPing to full-third-person playing.

A note from tonight's session, which seems obvious now: it might be a good idea for a GM to describe some NPCs in third person, if he or she doesn't like them. But of course, no such thing should be required.

Last edited:
Seems like an interesting technique. I might try it next time I have the chance.

But the chicks dig it:tongue:!

I'm completely serious, BTW. A number of female players that had never tried tabletop RPGs had the same first question when I was trying to get them into the hobby.
The question is "but where do you take the costumes from":grin:? They seemed to assume you'd need to dress up for a session...

In all cases, I resolved it by explaining that dress-up is not a required part of the game, but it's encouraged if it helps them get in character.
In at least one case, the new player left the room, and came back dressed as a witch (and one who was from the Valejo school of dressing female spellcasters, might I add). Her live-in boyfriend, who was also going to play, didn't seem to mind.
The game proceeded without any incidents due to clothing, though I have no idea whether they continued after that. (I had a regular group at the time and didn't have time for another, and they were a part of a friends circle I left soon after. But if they had, I have no doubts that they'd have had no issues dealing with either the roleplaying or the rules part).

There were other similar incidents as well. None of them was a problem, either. In some cases it seemed to be a player that didn't want to dress up, but suspected it would be required.

Bottomline, there's room in the hobby for all kind of styles, from borderline LARPing to full-third-person playing.

A note from tonight's session, which seems obvious now: it might be a good idea for a GM to describe some NPCs in third person, if he or she doesn't like them. But of course, no such thing should be required.

I should be clear that when I said it was a bit much for me I meant it literally: for me I wouldn't be interested in dressing up for a ttrpg session. A LARP would be different.

I wouldn't have an issue if a player wanted to dress up at the table, unless the setting was Barsoom or Gor.
:sweat:

Last edited:
What's wrong with Barsoom* dress-up?
a_princess_of_mars_by_cutemonsterchild-d68ilu2.jpg
(It's very hard to find a PG-rated Dejah Thoris!)

* I've not read any Gor books so have no idea what the characters look like or wear.

I should be clesr that when I said it was a bit much for me I meant it literally: for me I wouldn't be interested in dressing up for a ttrog session. A LARP would be different.

I wouldn't have an issue if a player wanted to dress up at the table, unless the setting was Barsoom or Gor.
:sweat:
I explicitly wouldn't have issues with a player wanting to dress for Barsoom or Gor:evil:!

Or undress, as the case may be. :grin:
No problems with that either. And why would anyone:smile:?
I mean, I've made it clear that dressing up (or down) isn't required, so if anyone decides to do it, I presume it's because they find that fun:tongue:! Why would I obstruct them?

Also, the Gor RPG has some fun mechanics. Admittedly, I'd rather use BoL/Everwhen as the mechanics than the d6 system, but the idea of caste-based Honour is usable, I think:grin:!

Even less than that.
Depends on social station and region, I think:smile:. The RPG itself confirms what I remember.

The struggle Is real. Why that genre falled into the sidelines I honestly don't understand.
No idea, either. But I'd play as well:wink:.
Of course, in order to maximize the number of exploding heads, we should run it with Traveller:tongue:! Especially since John Carter is presented in the list of Traveller NPCs since Classic Traveller.

L
Of course, in order to maximize the number of exploding heads, we should run it with Traveller:tongue:! Especially since John Carter is presented in the list of Traveller NPCs since Classic Traveller.
If You're up (or You'll ever be up) for a PBF or a PBDiscord, I'm game.

Last edited:
Depends on social station and region, I think:smile:. The RPG itself confirms what I remember.

Or StarCluster 4: Sabre & World, which is designed for sword and planet.

If You're up (or You'll ever be up) for a PBF or a PBDiscord, I'm game.
I don't think our schedules would align well for Discord, given the different timezones:smile:.

But for Play by Post/Forum? Just tag me (and Dumarest Dumarest too) in the Recruitment thread:wink:!

The struggle Is real. Why that genre fell into the sidelines I honestly don't understand.

A quick question for people interested in sword & planet settings. How would you feel about including gate travel to markedly different worlds with polities and factions spanning several worlds?

A quick question for people interested in sword & planet settings. How would you feel about including gate travel to markedly different worlds with polities and factions spanning several worlds?
I'd be fine with It. As long as you have to traverse the wormholes by foot or on horseback and there's the Classic Evil Merchant Guild making everyone pay tithes to pass.
I don't think our schedules would align well for Discord, given the different timezones:smile:.

But for Play by Post/Forum? Just tag me (and Dumarest Dumarest too) in the Recruitment thread:wink:!
I'll check it up asap.

It's up to the GM, but I liked the concept in Feng Shui:smile:.

Just a heads-up to everyone who expressed interest in Sword and Planet...
https://www.rpgpub.com/threads/interest-check-sword-and-planet-by-traveler-or-other-system.1921/
Important: Despite the Traveller in the title, none of the GM plans to use Traveller. D6 and Basic d100 are being discussed, though!
And yes, we're looking for both players and GMs...:smile:

Teyrnon Teyrnon if you have an idea that hinges on gate travel, and want to run it, I'm sure we can play more than one game... In fact, we're already discussing something like this:wink:!

I like it. It reminds me of the Buck Rogers TV series.
cc4a23c7f22bfd64227a762a5932817a.jpg

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back