The Dank Memes

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Well, there's 7.62x25mm Tokarev...
1920px-Tokarev_TT33_%286825679152%29.jpg
This is an oddball round in my opinion. When most people hear 7.62 they are thinking 7.62x39mm which is the AK rifle round. Maybe this is common in Russia or ex Wasaw Pact countries.
...and handguns in .223.
remington-xp-100-223-rem-pr52145.jpg

I think they are by certain American laws that prohibit armour piercing ammunition for handguns. You can get long range single-shot pistols chambered in all sorts of weird and wonderful calibres.

I suspect those vary by state. I know I've seen AP rifle rounds. Not sure why AP rifle rounds would be peachy keen but lower powered handgun rounds would be objectionable.

This is an oddball round in my opinion. When most people hear 7.62 they are thinking 7.62x39mm which is the AK rifle round. Maybe this is common in Russia or ex Wasaw Pact countries.
Not so common now, but pretty common in the past, when TT-33 pistols were common mil surplus. The Soviets made vast numbers of them and 7.62x25mm submachineguns in WWII.

Personally, when I hear "7.62mm", I think of 7.62x51mm NATO/.308 Winchester.

Not so common now, but pretty common in the past, when TT-33 pistols were common mil surplus. The Soviets made vast numbers of them and 7.62x25mm submachineguns in WWII.

Personally, when I hear "7.62mm", I think of 7.62x51mm NATO/.308 Winchester.
.308 I am aware of having a Nato designation of 7.62x51mm but no one I knew referred to it like that. Just .308.

I suspect those vary by state. I know I've seen AP rifle rounds. Not sure why AP rifle rounds would be peachy keen but lower powered handgun rounds would be objectionable.

There was a big hoo ha about it in the 1980s when somebody started selling rounds with a teflon cap called KTW. These were supposed to slide between the fibres of a kevlar vest and got labelled 'cop killer' rounds. There was a law enacted that banned armour piercing rounds for handguns.

On the other hand, when the Merkins went to NATO standards they flogged off most of their stock of .30-06 ammunition, including many millions of armour piercing M2 rounds. This was very popular with the IRA, who smuggled a load of Garands and AP ammunition into Ireland during the troubles - all just purchased legit from Bubba's Army Surplus and Gun Emporium. It also caused a stink once the powers-that-be got wind of it, but by then it was too late.

Around that time, the IRA also managed to convince Sterling to flog them a load of AR-18s by pretending to be someone else.

Armour piercing ammunition for rifles is still legal in the U.S. because nobody got around to legislating against it.

The 7.62x25 is a reasonably powerful cartridge and penetrates quite a lot better than you might think.

There are still a load of Tokarevs and Shpagins (PPsh-41 submachineguns) kicking about. At one point it was the standard service round for the Soviet Union, so it was manufactured in very large numbers. Shpagins are still a bit of a niche item in CQB circles as they have quite a lot of firepower with a 71 round drum magazine. If you google around you can see pictures of examples that enterprising special forces types have gotten hold of and had fitted out with picatinny rails. It looks quite odd to see a WWII submachine gun with a modern reflex sight - a bit like modern 'space cowboy' lever actions.

Last edited:

When I originally saw the reply, I was like, "Some crazy Russian bastard made a 7.62x39mm pistol!"

Then I read the words underneath :grin:

I have a 7.62x39mm bolt action rifle, a Yugoslavian version of the WW2 Mosin–Nagant Russian rifle, and that gun kicks like a motherfucker...I don't shoot it anymore mainly for that reason, its seriously unpleasant. Plus, its really really old, and I'm worried those high power 7.62 rounds are going to make it explode.

There was a big hoo ha about it in the 1980s when somebody started selling rounds with a teflon cap called KTW. These were supposed to slide between the fibres of a kevlar vest and got labelled 'cop killer' rounds. There was a law enacted that banned armour piercing rounds for handguns.

On the other hand, when the Merkins went to NATO standards they flogged off most of their stock of .30-06 ammunition, including many millions of armour piercing M2 rounds. This was very popular with the IRA, who smuggled a load of Garands and AP ammunition into Ireland during the troubles - all just purchased legit from Bubba's Army Surplus and Gun Emporium. It also caused a stink once the powers-that-be got wind of it, but by then it was too late.

Around that time, the IRA also managed to convince Sterling to flog them a load of AR-18s by pretending to be someone else.

Armour piercing ammunition for rifles is still legal in the U.S. because nobody got around to legislating against it.
Not much point anyway, at this time - if you need to go through body armour and you can't get AP ammo, just use a bigger (hunting) rifle.
The 7.62x25 is a reasonably powerful cartridge and penetrates quite a lot better than you might think.

There are still a load of Tokarevs and Shpagins (PPsh-41 submachineguns) kicking about. At one point it was the standard service round for the Soviet Union, so it was manufactured in very large numbers. Shpagins are still a bit of a niche item in CQB circles as they have quite a lot of firepower with a 71 round drum magazine. If you google around you can see pictures of examples that enterprising special forces types have gotten hold of and had fitted out with picatinny rails. It looks quite odd to see a WWII submachine gun with a modern reflex sight - a bit like modern 'space cowboy' lever actions.
Assuming the magazine doesn't jam, the PPSh-41's performance isn't much worse than that of the FN P90 PDW. 7.62x25mm is a pretty hot little cartridge.

When I originally saw the reply, I was like, "Some crazy Russian bastard made a 7.62x39mm pistol!"

I have a 7.62x39mm bolt action rifle, a Yugoslavian version of the WW2 Mosin–Nagant Russian rifle, and that gun kicks like a motherfucker...I don't shoot it anymore mainly for that reason, its seriously unpleasant. Plus, its really really old, and I'm worried those high power 7.62 rounds are going to make it explode.

I think folks underplay just how powerful the turn-of-the-century rifle rounds really were. These rounds - 7.62x54, 7.92mm, .303, .30-06 etc - were all developed around the turn of the (20th) century when conventional wisdom assumed entrenched, fixed positions and engaging enemy at half a mile with a rifle and the better part of a mile with a machine gun. The guns of the day had sights calibrated out to very long ranges and the rounds were designed to remain lethal at ranges of 1,000 yards or more.

Most of these rounds had a muzzle energy somewhere between 3.5 and 4kJ. To put that in perspective, the latest smokeless big game rounds of the era (e.g. .500 Nitro Express) ran to about double that. There were even big game hunters that routinely used rounds such as 7mm Spanish Mauser to shoot elephants.

So, it shouldn't come as a surprise that they kick like a mule.

I think folks underplay just how powerful the turn-of-the-century rifle rounds really were. These rounds - 7.62x54, 7.92mm, .303, .30-06 etc - were all developed around the turn of the (20th) century when conventional wisdom assumed entrenched, fixed positions and engaging enemy at half a mile with a rifle and the better part of a mile with a machine gun. The guns of the day had sights calibrated out to very long ranges and the rounds were designed to remain lethal at ranges of 1,000 yards or more.

Most of these rounds had a muzzle energy somewhere between 3.5 and 4kJ. To put that in perspective, the latest smokeless big game rounds of the era (e.g. .500 Nitro Express) ran to about double that. There were even big game hunters that routinely used rounds such as 7mm Spanish Mauser to shoot elephants.

So, it shouldn't come as a surprise that they kick like a mule.

Here's clearly some word magic going on in here. Hyvästi selvä päivä, means goodbye sober day, and Selvästi hyvä päivä, means clearly a good day.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back