Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
So thematically as well as others Andor returns to the first film in some ways.
Yeah the worst we'd seen since was the shit they pulled in Rogue One and, of course, Order 66 when Anikin murdered kids in cold blood.

Glad to get solid, non-80s cartoony Evil again. Makes us feel LESS bad about the casual slaughter of countless thousands of stormtroopers in all the different Star Wars media.

A good piece from the very good UK sf writer Adam Roberts on Andor although he gets some of the details of the series wrong (understandable for a first watch blog post imo).

I agree with those who have read the lack of aliens in the Empire command as reflective of some kind of human chauvinism.

There are the alien duo who help Andor and his fellow escapee following the jail break
and the Empire commanders are also shown to be contemptous of the native customs and people of the planets they dominate.

I agree with those who have read the lack of aliens in the Empire command as reflective of some kind of human chauvinism.
IIrc this was canon in legends. It was explained as being due to a large number of nonhuman worlds joining the separatists. Ditto for droids.

A good piece from the very good UK sf writer Adam Roberts on Andor although he gets some of the details of the series wrong (understandable for a first watch blog post imo).

Eh, some of it is completely inexcusable, which shows that he didn't pay attention at all to the flashback bits. They weren't very well explained which might have contributed to that, but it's pretty evident in the ending piece of the flashbacks.

...and wrapping your clothes around your feet to escape an electrical charge? That's... I don't even have the words.

Eh, some of it is completely inexcusable, which shows that he didn't pay attention at all to the flashback bits. They weren't very well explained which might have contributed to that, but it's pretty evident in the ending piece of the flashbacks.

...and wrapping your clothes around your feet to escape an electrical charge? That's... I don't even have the words.

People miss things all the time in a first watch. Before VHS film writing often had details wrong because the critic didn't have the opportunity to rewatch, pause, etc. a film. Being able to view a film more than once every few years was itself a rarity.

As to ther other point, I do know cloth is an insulator vs. electricity. Whether that would be enough in such a sf scenario?I have no idea as I have no practical or scientific background to determine that question but I find such debates deeply uninteresting.

Last edited:
Cloth won't isulate against electricity after someone floods the floor with water at any rate.

Such a good show. If you enjoy slow burn spy thrillers you'll like Andor. You tend to get 2 episodes of everyone talking about big ideas and maneuvering around everyone else, and then One episode where all of the buildup pays off in a very exciting way. It's a very grounded Star Wars. You have a very grounded PG-13 presentation of Fascism. Punches are not pulled. No force powers or Jedi running around here. Just normal people having to tackle big problems with normal people skills. It's satifying watching people play 4d chess. This is the kind of show where some friends and I spent 2 hours discussing how the design of some of the costumes in episode 12 informed the world building of a planet.

Interesting interview with Gilroy on Andor. Funny to hear that this is first time Chapman's voice performance as B8 has been used in a film, he's really good.

Last edited:
Rewatched the Yoda walkabout arc and the Ashoka/Maul/Order 66 arc in Clone Wars last season last night while mildly stoned. Damn pretty animation.

It would be cool if Filoni was able to convince whoever he needs to convince to let him make an animated feature as I'd love to see this animation in a theatre.

Also noticed how much better the extravagant abilities and combat of the Jedi and company looks animated instead of live action as in the prequels.

Looking back I'd say Lucas was trying to do something that the CGI of the period just wasn't up to the task of (and may never be) and operating in the wrong form (live action instead of animation). Not that that would have saved the poor writing and adrift actors.

Last edited:
Rewatched the Yoda walkabout arc and the Ashoka/Maul/Order 66 arc in Clone Wars last season last night while mildly stoned. Damn pretty animation.

It would be cool if Filoni was able to convince whoever he needs to convince to let him make an animated feature as I'd love to see this animation in a theatre.

Also noticed how much better the extravagant abilities and combat of the Jedi and company looks animated instead of live action as in the prequels.

Looking back I'd say Lucas was trying to do something that the CGI of the period just wasn't up to the task of (and may never be) and operating in the wrong form (live action instead of animation). Not that that would have saved the poor writing and adrift actors.
The fight sequence between Ahsoka and Maul in season seven is truly outstanding. It’s like the pinnacle of animated saber fighting. It helped that they had Ray Park come in and do some motion capture.

I've been saying for decades that animation is a natural fit for SF/Fantasy. It's not much harder to draw a dragon or spaceship than it is a car or building. It's only been in the last decade or so that CGI can really do the job and it's still so labor intensive that a significant amount of it pushes budgets over a hundred million dollars. At that point, studios are usually going to go with A list actors, broad themes, and safe scripts.

I've been saying for decades that animation is a natural fit for SF/Fantasy. It's not much harder to draw a dragon or spaceship than it is a car or building. It's only been in the last decade or so that CGI can really do the job and it's still so labor intensive that a significant amount of it pushes budgets over a hundred million dollars.
After Arcane I see no need for live action anymore.

After Arcane I see no need for live action anymore.
I like the different mediums and what they bring to the table. Just like I still like musical theatre and broadway productions.

As to ther other point, I do know cloth is an insulator vs. electricity. Whether that would be enough in such a sf scenario?I have no idea as I have no practical or scientific background to determine that question but I find such debates deeply uninteresting.
Well how much do you care about the consistency of Star Wars as a setting? You've expressed disinterest in whether Corran Horn sleeps topless or nude. Now you don't give a shit about the electrical properties of cloth.
Where does it end Voros? Luke surviving the Emperor's electric attack by going nude?

Last edited:
Well how much do you care about the consistency of Star Wars as a setting? You've expressed disinterest in whether Corran Horn sleeps topless or nude. Now you don't give a shit about the electric properties of cloth.
Where does it end Voros? Luke surviving the Emperor's electric attack by going nude?
Making note of a two year old statement to make a dig? That shows academic prowess.

Making note of a two year old statement to make a dig? That shows academic prowess.
Thanks for the support Stan. I've confronted Voros on his canon ambivalence over the years on this thread, especially regarding sleeping arrangements for characters. To say he hasn't been forthcoming on definite canon decisions would be an understatement.

Rick Worley's ranking of Star Wars movies holds up pretty well, with The Last Jedi at #16 -behind Plan 9 From Outer Space, Rebecca Black's Friday music video and well, see for yourself:

Hmm...before I watch the list by whoever that guy is, here are my rankings...

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Star Wars
3. Return of the Jedi
IV. The Mandalorian
5. Caravan of Courage
6. The Droids cartoon
7. Ewoks: Battle for Endor
8. The Ewoks cartoon
9: The Book of Boba Fett
10. everything else

My list at this second is:

1. The Empire Strikes Back