The Video Game Thread: What are you Playing?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
My wife finished Final Fantasy XVI and started playing Dragon´s Dogma 2. I loved the first Dragon´s Dogma so I may eventually play this one as well.

Been playing several things lately.
System Shock Remake: Pretty good, very faithful in the level design, to the point that you can pretty much still use old level guides. Cyberspace is still annoying. The games kinda buggy at points, enemies getting stuck in walls after dying, but nothing too bad.

Cultist Simulator: I originally wasn't interested in this game because I generally don't like playing "card" like games. I was swayed to getting it by a particularly good review on youtube. It's fun but can be very frustrating when you realize that you've walked your way into an unwinnable state. The goal is to ascend to a higher state of being by leading a 1920's Thelema/Cthulhu cult, and I got very close as a corrupt police officer before realizing that I was unable to get the resources I needed because I spent the early game arresting prospective cult followers.

Stardew Valley: Always a nice relaxing game, my goal this time was to build Pam a house. haven't played the new update yet though.

HOI4: I have 3245.6 hours in this game and I can't stop. Notable campaigns were "Making Wallis Simpson the queen of America for a pun based achievement" and what I like to call the "Anglo-German-Japanese Alliance" Where Edward VIII, Kaiser Wilhelm II and Hirohito all got put in absolute control of their respective countries and took over the world. My latest game has been playing one of the new focus trees where you crown a french guy king before trying to become a new Napoleon. As the south American country of Chile.

Been playing several things lately.
System Shock Remake: Pretty good, very faithful in the level design, to the point that you can pretty much still use old level guides. Cyberspace is still annoying. The games kinda buggy at points, enemies getting stuck in walls after dying, but nothing too bad.

Cultist Simulator: I originally wasn't interested in this game because I generally don't like playing "card" like games. I was swayed to getting it by a particularly good review on youtube. It's fun but can be very frustrating when you realize that you've walked your way into an unwinnable state. The goal is to ascend to a higher state of being by leading a 1920's Thelema/Cthulhu cult, and I got very close as a corrupt police officer before realizing that I was unable to get the resources I needed because I spent the early game arresting prospective cult followers.

Stardew Valley: Always a nice relaxing game, my goal this time was to build Pam a house. haven't played the new update yet though.

HOI4: I have 3245.6 hours in this game and I can't stop. Notable campaigns were "Making Wallis Simpson the queen of America for a pun based achievement" and what I like to call the "Anglo-German-Japanese Alliance" Where Edward VIII, Kaiser Wilhelm II and Hirohito all got put in absolute control of their respective countries and took over the world. My latest game has been playing one of the new focus trees where you crown a french guy king before trying to become a new Napoleon. As the south American country of Chile.
I played with Cultist Simulator. I really loved the tone, but got a little frustrated with how opaque it got in parts.

I dabbled with HOI IV years ago, and I really liked it. I think the story of my run Communist Mexico is back in an early part of this thread. I had just gotten handle on the mechanics, and then got sidetracked by life for a while and forgot them. I am intending to refresh my knowledge of the game soon. I imagine there have been a lot of changes since I played.

I'm really limiting my video game time at the moment while I prep for an Ogre Gate campaign, but I did give Stellaris another try recently. My biggest issue with the game is that it starts so slowly. In other Paradox games, you are playing in the middle of history. You already have friends and enemies. You might even already be at war. With Stellaris, you start on your own, not knowing any other factions in the game, and it's a long time before you meet them.

The game also has the odd choice of making internal politics something that only evolves over the course of the game. You don't start getting internal political factions until around the time when have outside players to deal with. It seems to me it would have made sense to use internal divisions to add more drama to the lonely early part of the game.

On this play through, I have realized one flaw in my approach that is probably exacerbating the issue. As you science ships explore, you find anomalies that you can investigate. You also the option of simply logging them for investigation later. I've been tending to investigate them all when I find them, unless they are particularly complicated ones. I've realized this is really slowing my exploration, meaning it takes a lot longer to get out and meet my neighbors. Next time I play, I'm going to save most anomalies for when i've started to get hemmed in by other empires.

Sad with the news that BG3 nor CP2077 will be getting any more DLC.
It is. I get the impression that Larian doesn't particularly care for the people running D&D these days, so it might ultimately be for the best that they are going off in their own direction.

What is CD Projekt Red doing next? I haven't been paying attention.
Wild that BG3 is going to be forever capped at level 12.
As a B/X guy, I'm not sure what the problem is. :wink:

It is. I get the impression that Larian doesn't particularly care for the people running D&D these days, so it might ultimately be for the best that they are going off in their own direction.

Yeah, and Larian made enough money and good will capital that they can tell WoTC to fuck off and do their own thing. Which is good for them.

I thought I read somewhere that CDPR was going to make another Witcher game? That could also just be me hoping they're going to make another Witcher game :grin:

Yeah, and Larian made enough money and good will capital that they can tell WoTC to fuck off and do their own thing. Which is good for them.
Between that and Critical Role using its own RPGs,WotC is bleeding fanbases. I guess they never learned how to play well with others in kindergarten.

They're switching from their in house engine in favor of Unreal 5. I just hate that so many developers are in Epic's pocket, as much as I don't mind the engine from the bit I've done with it.

1711485210556.png

They're switching from their in house engine in favor of Unreal 5. I just hate that so many developers are in Epic's pocket, as much as I don't mind the engine from the bit I've done with it.

View attachment 79927
One of my gaming buddies got let go in Epic's latest purge, so they certainly aren't in my good books at the moment. It is a good engine though.

One of my gaming buddies got let go in Epic's latest purge, so they certainly aren't in my good books at the moment. It is a good engine though.
Its their business practices that have them on my bad side. Exclusives are bad for the PC Industry. They're bad enough in the Console industry.

I get the impression that Larian doesn't particularly care for the people running D&D these days, so it might ultimately be for the best that they are going off in their own direction.
Haszards strikes again! (I'm surprised no one has used that yet!)

Its their business practices that have them on my bad side. Exclusives are bad for the PC Industry. They're bad enough in the Console industry.
Yes, they have pissed me off with their exclusives as well. It especially annoyed me when they'd do it with games that invited modding, as Epic had nothing like Steam Workshop. It felt to me like Epic should have been taken all the money it was using to buy up exclusives and using it to provide the same level of support for gaming that Steam provides.

Wild that BG3 is going to be forever capped at level 12.

Thankfully there's some good modders who have fixed that.

Sad with the news that BG3 nor CP2077 will be getting any more DLC.

It both is and isn't to me. Sure I would like more especially for BG3, but I have a large backlog of other games to play as well.

I have avoided the Epic store like the plague. Already have enough game launchers/stores as it is. I don't like the whole exclusivity thing either, even though it's mostly timed and not forever in most cases. One of my friends has it because of all the free games they give, but again I already have so many games I haven't played.

Just to add to my earlier, somewhat negative comment about Cultist Simulator. I do think it's pretty cool. I ultimately got frustrated with it, but it's got great atmosphere, and is genuinely original. I recommend it to anyone who likes the esoteric and occult. I felt I got enough enjoyment out of it to justify the purchase.

I think the problem is that while yeah, the Epic store sucks... Steam is basically a monopoly and every attempt to unseat it has been a failure. While Steam has been pretty benevolent for a monopoly, I do dislike the power they wield as a person who works in game publishing.

I think the problem is that while yeah, the Epic store sucks... Steam is basically a monopoly and every attempt to unseat it has been a failure. While Steam has been pretty benevolent for a monopoly, I do dislike the power they wield as a person who works in game publishing.
I agree that I don't like Steam being a monopoly, but having an other store forcing you to buy from them with exclusives is not at tall what I want as a substitute. If this is how Epic acts when they are trying to play the plucky underdog, just imagine them if they unseated Steam.

I agree that I don't like Steam being a monopoly, but having an other store forcing you to buy from them with exclusives is not at tall what I want as a substitute. If this is how Epic acts when they are trying to play the plucky underdog, just imagine them if they unseated Steam.
The problem is, how does anyone unseat Steam? I also don't agree with Epic buying up "exclusives" to their stores, but I can also see why they tried it, because Valve isn't able to be unseated unless they themselves did something remarkably dumb.

You could say "well just make a better storefront" but even that I don't think would make a difference at this point. Steam has all the momentum. People wouldn't want another storefront, even if it was better, because they already have their existing game library on Steam.

The only store that I think can even remotely compete with Steam on PC is the PC XBOX App, and that is only because of Game Pass. I don't know anyone who actually BUYS any games on it.

There's a difference between market dominance and a monopoly, and Steam hasn't brought the power it could to bear on the industry.

The problem is, how does anyone unseat Steam? I also don't agree with Epic buying up "exclusives" to their stores, but I can also see why they tried it, because Valve isn't able to be unseated unless they themselves did something remarkably dumb.

You could say "well just make a better storefront" but even that I don't think would make a difference at this point. Steam has all the momentum. People wouldn't want another storefront, even if it was better, because they already have their existing game library on Steam.

The only store that I think can even remotely compete with Steam on PC is the PC XBOX App, and that is only because of Game Pass. I don't know anyone who actually BUYS any games on it.
I buy games on it, mostly because they're a lot cheaper with the discounts in many cases, and I can try them indefinitely because I have Game Pass.

There's a difference between market dominance and a monopoly, and Steam hasn't brought the power it could to bear on the industry.
Not really. Now, a monopoly that isn't being maintained through improper conduct isn't illegal, it is still a monopoly. Steam controls something like 75% of all game downloads worldwide. They are effectively a monopoly. Just not an illegal one.

That doesn't make it illegal, but it does make it less than ideal for anyone else working in the PC gaming field.

Valve pretty much controls the PC gaming market. Now, again, Valve has not done anything too nefarious with the power it has. BUT, it would be better if there was more competition.

Valve pretty much controls the PC gaming market. Now, again, Valve has not done anything too nefarious with the power it has. BUT, it would be better if there was more competition.

Yes Valve hasn't done anything too nefarious, probably because of Gabe Newell who seems a pretty benevolent dictator/CEO.
Another reason is probably also that Valve is privately owned, so no stockholders to keep happy.
It's kind of scary to think what will happen with Valve once Gabe passes. Just think if someone like Microsoft bought Valve.

Yes Valve hasn't done anything too nefarious, probably because of Gabe Newell who seems a pretty benevolent dictator/CEO.
Another reason is probably also that Valve is privately owned, so no stockholders to keep happy.
It's kind of scary to think what will happen with Valve once Gabe passes. Just think if someone like Microsoft bought Valve.
Sony is the scariest option, with their repeated history of removing content from people's digital libraries.

Not really.
Yeah, you might say that, but there are whole definitions that would say otherwise. Let's break it down:
  1. Market Dominance:
    • Definition: Market dominance refers to a situation where multiple firms operate within a market, but one specific firm holds majority control.
    • Characteristics:
      • Multiple Players: Unlike a theoretical monopoly with a single firm, market dominance involves several players.
      • Majority Control: Despite the presence of other competitors, one firm significantly influences the market due to its substantial market share.
  2. Monopoly:
    • Definition: A monopoly occurs when a single seller or producer dominates an entire industry or sector, leaving no close substitutes for its product.
    • Key Points:
      • Single Seller: In a monopoly, there is only one seller or producer.
      • Barriers to Entry: Monopolies create barriers that prevent competitors from easily entering the marketplace.
      • Control Over Price: Monopolies can dictate prices and limit consumer alternatives.
I think when you look at it that way, it clearly shows that Steam isn't a monopoly. They were first to really pursue the avenue, and that first to market gave them an almost insurmountable advantage, but it's not a position where others can't compete or make a profit.

What's the consensus on a steamdeck? Been thinking about getting one.
I love mine. Been thinking about getting an OLED version, but decided against it. I've played several AAA titles on it without any problems, and it also encourages pick up and play mentality that my PC didn't allowing me to get to some forgotten gems in my library.

I love mine. Been thinking about getting an OLED version, but decided against it. I've played several AAA titles on it without any problems, and it also encourages pick up and play mentality that my PC didn't allowing me to get to some forgotten gems in my library.
Excellent. Would OLED be a better version?

Yeah, you might say that, but there are whole definitions that would say otherwise. Let's break it down:
  1. Market Dominance:
    • Definition: Market dominance refers to a situation where multiple firms operate within a market, but one specific firm holds majority control.
    • Characteristics:
      • Multiple Players: Unlike a theoretical monopoly with a single firm, market dominance involves several players.
      • Majority Control: Despite the presence of other competitors, one firm significantly influences the market due to its substantial market share.
  2. Monopoly:
    • Definition: A monopoly occurs when a single seller or producer dominates an entire industry or sector, leaving no close substitutes for its product.
    • Key Points:
      • Single Seller: In a monopoly, there is only one seller or producer.
      • Barriers to Entry: Monopolies create barriers that prevent competitors from easily entering the marketplace.
      • Control Over Price: Monopolies can dictate prices and limit consumer alternatives.
I think when you look at it that way, it clearly shows that Steam isn't a monopoly. They were first to really pursue the avenue, and that first to market gave them an almost insurmountable advantage, but it's not a position where others can't compete or make a profit.
Also, computers are just one platform for playing video games. Compare the market power Steam has on the platform of Windows to the market power Sony has on Playstation, Microsoft has on Xbox, and Apple has on IOS devices if you want to talk about monopoly power.

Steamdeck is excellent. I have one on loaner from my work and it is fantastic for playing most games. The only time I tend to game on PC versus playing on the deck now is when a game REALLY needs mouse and keyboard to feel good, or the game just plays like ass on the deck (which is very rarely).

Also, computers are just one platform for playing video games. Compare the market power Steam has on the platform of Windows to the market power Sony has on Playstation, Microsoft has on Xbox, and Apple has on IOS devices if you want to talk about monopoly power.
Clearly, me calling out Microsoft's monopoly on the Xbox has cowed them. Less then an hour after my post...

Clearly, me calling out Microsoft's monopoly on the Xbox has cowed them. Less then an hour after my post...

Excellent work!

I also read a different article/interview that said that same thing. It appears that costs are so high now, that exclusives mean you may never make your money back. Thus opening the door to publishing on other platforms. It has always amazed me that these companies wouldn't port their games over to PC at least, maybe wait a year or whatever makes you feel good, but you're just leaving money on the table by not doing so. Sony is really bad at this right now...they've seen the money they've made by releasing a few of their older games on PC...and they're sitting on the rest of them, all the while their Games division is losing money. They need some new leadership over there, methinks...

Excellent work!

I also read a different article/interview that said that same thing. It appears that costs are so high now, that exclusives mean you may never make your money back. Thus opening the door to publishing on other platforms. It has always amazed me that these companies wouldn't port their games over to PC at least, maybe wait a year or whatever makes you feel good, but you're just leaving money on the table by not doing so. Sony is really bad at this right now...they've seen the money they've made by releasing a few of their older games on PC...and they're sitting on the rest of them, all the while their Games division is losing money. They need some new leadership over there, methinks...
I'm seeing a lot of Youtube videos saying Microsoft looking at releasing its games on other platforms as a loss, but it makes sense to me. If I understand the business model, these companies sell you the hardware at a loss in order to make money on the games they sell you. If the consoles themselves are a money sink, why not concentrate on selling the games as many places as possible?

It's no different than Microsoft putting it's software in Mac and iOS.

Also, given the focus on online multiplayer games, you want the largest active audience you can get.

Thinking about this further, if regulators are going to crack open all the walled gardens that Microsoft, Sony and Apple all maintain, there is no advantage to selling consoles at a loss anymore. I wonder if a consequence of this is going to be more expensive gaming platforms in the future.

Thinking about this further, if regulators are going to crack open all the walled gardens that Microsoft, Sony and Apple all maintain, there is no advantage to selling consoles at a loss anymore. I wonder if a consequence of this is going to be more expensive gaming platforms in the future.
And/or slower development times for platforms. It's already 6-7 years between major versions. I wouldn't be shocked with a 10 year gap with variants filling the time between.

In general, yes. Better screen and better battery life.

I didn't check, but didn't Steam outright replace the old Steamdeck with the OLED version? If you can get the OLED version at the same price as the original, that's perfect, as the original is really good, OLED just makes the screen even nicer...

Steamdeck is excellent. I have one on loaner from my work and it is fantastic for playing most games. The only time I tend to game on PC versus playing on the deck now is when a game REALLY needs mouse and keyboard to feel good, or the game just plays like ass on the deck (which is very rarely).
And to add to this the difference between the deck and the switch or something like that is the fact that you can use other things other than just steam- I play other platforms on there like Gog, EA, Ubi, etc.

The big difference between this and Legion Go, Asus ROG Ally, etc, is the subtraction of Windows and not having to worry about updates or boot times.

It's the best of both worlds, IMO.

I didn't check, but didn't Steam outright replace the old Steamdeck with the OLED version? If you can get the OLED version at the same price as the original, that's perfect, as the original is really good, OLED just makes the screen even nicer...
No, they didn't replace it. At least not the last I checked. The cheapest one is still the non-OLED and low storage. Someone I know got that and the highest storage, and replaced the drive in the lowest storage with a huge drive and there is literally no difference betwen that and the highest storage so if you're a DIYer there is that. And Valve encourages modding unlike other platforms.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back