There Can Be Only One Henry Cavill

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
The American cut of the film is awful, the British version cuts between the past and the present more effectively. That doesn't really help the film's more glaring problems, although I do still love it. The 3000 times I've watched it are probably enough for me by now though.

It kind if helps that I've climbed Buachaille Etive Mor (pyramid-shaped mountain) and the Cioch (the big protruding rock they fight on), and been to Eilean Donan castle.

I'm not kidding when I say that it was an insanely popular film in Scotland in the late 80s. Everyone seemed to have a copy of it.

Useless trivia about a different movie - although much of Braveheart was filmed in Ireland, the village set was built at the foot of Ben Nevis in the summer of 1994. Some friends and I were coming out of the mountains after a week's backpacking, and we spent a day watching them film.

None of the crew vans would give us a lift back to Fort William though, the bastards.

"We're not take Hamish the Pervert on the mountain-naming trip this week, you know what happened last time. Bubbies and Wullies from here to Fife!"

Last edited:
The director's cut of the Total Recall reboot actually wasn't too bad. It was certainly better than the original cut at least.

I just hope the Highlander reboot is good. Honestly, this is one franchise I don't mind seeing rebooted considering how much of a mess the original run was, between The Suckening... err... I mean The Quickening, the ending to the first film which was clearly meant to be a one-and-done, The Source, and... well... everything else. If they can start over well with an actual continuity in place, it may work.
Highlander is one of my favorite franchises, but they do make it hard. The first one was good- had an excellent world that they built but didn't explain. The second one doesn't exist. Kill it with fire and scatter the ashes. Same with 3.

Then they brought out the series, and it was good up until Season 6. Season 6 ruined the good vibes. Endgame was Ok. The source was worse than 2, and a bad point to end on.

I think Cavill could be excellent in a reboot, and am cautiously optimistic.

I'll see each and everyone of you haters in a moodily lit warehouse or carpark!
Highlander was and is a class film. All this talk of sequels and series are as the fever dreams of a lunatic.

My happiest day was on holiday in NYC, walking through central Park and coming across the bridge McLeod and Castagir held their reunion on. After I squeee'd like a sugar fuelled kid with ADHD, I made sure to stand where they stood and try to soak up any residual Quickening.

I'll see each and everyone of you haters in a moodily lit warehouse or carpark!
Highlander was and is a class film. All this talk of sequels and series are as the fever dreams of a lunatic.

My happiest day was on holiday in NYC, walking through central Park and coming across the bridge McLeod and Castagir held their reunion on. After I squeee'd like a sugar fuelled kid with ADHD, I made sure to stand where they stood and try to soak up any residual Quickening.
There can be only one!

Not the other one, or the third one. Or the one that was a weekly series.

We live for the One, we die for the One! Wait, wrong franchise...

Highlander is one of my favorite franchises, but they do make it hard. The first one was good- had an excellent world that they built but didn't explain. The second one doesn't exist. Kill it with fire and scatter the ashes. Same with 3.

Then they brought out the series, and it was good up until Season 6. Season 6 ruined the good vibes. Endgame was Ok. The source was worse than 2, and a bad point to end on.

I think Cavill could be excellent in a reboot, and am cautiously optimistic.

Don’t forget The Animated Series and The Raven! :tongue:

I am one of the few that actually liked the third film.

Was season 6 where they killed Richie and then Duncan fights an ancient Demon or something?

Yeah, that's where the show lost me. Season 1 wasnt very good either, but the stuff with the Watchers and Methos in the middle seasons was great
Season 1 I can sort of understand- they were trying to build things up. But I think things really started to come together because of an actor wanting to leave. Alexandra Vandernoot told the powers that be that she wanted out, and didn't give them much runway for it. That was one of the reasons that Tessa's death seemed so random, and Ritchie became an immortal much sooner than they'd planned for- it was one of the best things for the show.

Like most of mid Gen X kids I loved the original Highlander film at the time.
This was the late 1980s, and Highlander was considered pretty cool when I was at High School. Sword fighting in trenchcoats, with a hard rock soundtrack from Queen, it was all top shelf for us.
This seemed very fresh back then; not the jaded trope it has become now.

As it turned out, there really can be only One. Or might as well have been only one film.
I felt that the next 20 years of intermittent Highlander films were all pretty much rubbish, and I deleted them from my head canon.

In contrast, I remember the mid 1990s tv series being surprisingly quite good at the time. I avidly used to alternate watching Highlander, Star Trek Next Gen / Voyager, and The X-Files - which pretty much summed up the 1990s, just add house music for dancing, and grunge and industrial for rocking :thumbsup:

I don't think White Wolf Vampire The Masquerade would have been as big if it had not been for Highlander. VtM felt like Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles, The Crow, and The Highlander series all put in a blender; well that's kinda how it intially played out at many gaming tables

If there is gonna be a Highlander reboot with Henry Cavill, then I expect it will be a pretty good. Perhaps they can get Adrian Paul to play Ramierez.
However I won't be happy if Highlander takes too much time away from filming Witcher,- I would much rather be seeing more Geralt of Rivia than a new Connor or Duncan MacLeod :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Like most Gen Xer here I loved the original Highlander film at the time, although felt that all the other films were rubbish, and deleted them from my canon.
The mid 1990s tv series was surprisingly quite good. I avidly used to alternate watching Highlander with X-Files, which pretty much summed up the 1990s, just add grunge and industrial rock.
If they are doing a reboot with Henry Cavill, then I expect it will be a pretty good. Perhaps they can get Adrian Paul to play Ramierez.

However I won't be happy if Highlander takes Henry Cavill away from Witcher, I would rather seeing him play Geralt of Rivia for many more moons yet :thumbsup:

I think second season of Witcher is in production, just got postponed by Covid

I worry more about it being on Netflix, which seems to not want more than three seasons of even it's most successful shows

I think second season of Witcher is in production, just got postponed by Covid

I worry more about it being on Netflix, which seems to not want more than three seasons of even it's most successful shows
Yeah I guess Netflix wants to always have the 'New Shiney', and they might worry that Witcher may be viewed as stale by then.
I would like to see it go for a run of six seasons if possible, but I guess it will come down to sales as usual :blah:

Netflix doesn't care about it's shows, or even if you watch them. All they care about is that you subscribe to them forever.
Look if you subscribe to Netflix and Amazon Prime you get a good 6 seasons out of a show. It's a win win win.

I'm hoping for 6 seasons of Invincible, and at least one more season of The Boys to wrap things up on Amazon Prime. First season of Jupiter's Legacy was bad, and I've heard no one talking about it since release, so I expect that to not get renewed.

Look if you subscribe to Netflix and Amazon Prime you get a good 6 seasons out of a show. It's a win win win.

I've never had a Netflix subscription. I was an Amazon Prime subscriber once. It was the only streaming service I could find, that had a good selection of old black and white movies.

I'm hoping for 6 seasons of Invincible, and at least one more season of The Boys to wrap things up on Amazon Prime. First season of Jupiter's Legacy was bad, and I've heard no one talking about it since release, so I expect that to not get renewed.
There is one more season of The Boys coming. This time with Jensen Ackles. I am excite.

Apparently, through some strange ephemera of costuming coincidence, Jensen's costume for his character The Soldier ended up using the exact same boots as he wore as Dean for 15 years on Supernatural. Wacky. Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing in something other than Supernatural.

Apparently, through some strange ephemera of costuming coincidence, Jensen's costume for his character The Soldier ended up using the exact same boots as he wore as Dean for 15 years on Supernatural. Wacky. Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing in something other than Supernatural.
He was also in Smallville for a couple of seasons.

Yep that's pretty much what I do now - a monthly Netflix subscription and a yearly Amazon Prime subscription (relatively cheap). It seems to cover most bases.
I also occasionally watch Tubi TV, it's free, and full of cult films, B-Grades, and dubious censorship...perhaps the less said, the better heh heh

Last edited:
I also occasionally watch Tubi TV, it's free, and full of cult films, B-Grades, and dubious censorship...perhaps the less said, the better heh heh

I went to check out that Tubi TV thing. Sadly it's not currently available in Europe, because of the GDPR law stuff. Have bookmarked it though. Hopefully it will become available again.

I went to check out that Tubi TV thing. Sadly it's not currently available in Europe, because of the GDPR law stuff. Have bookmarked it though. Hopefully it will become available again.
Tubi has some dubious content, but an easy way to watch B-Grades and an occasional Cult movie gem.

Be warned, it is pretty 'alternative' in places - definately avoid the Drama, Horror, and Romance categories around young and/or conservative audiences - it is highly unsuitable for children, and alot of the content in those sections may be considered obscene or shocking to many adults. It's very Mature Content at times.

However the remaining majority of the archives tends to be very inferior B-grade productions, although occasionally some classic Cult films show up to make it worthwhile. I just watched 'And God Created Woman' last week; I partially watched some strange Jodorowsky flick the week before; and the few weeks before that I watched an assortment of old Hammer Horror flicks. So that's the Top Shelf, and it spirals downward from there so that should give you an idea of what it's like.

Not really my cup of tea, I'm more of a Netflix/Amazon Prime watcher. Tubi just occasionally drags me in on odd nights, and its free.
It is available here in Australia, although it's obviously American in origin.
If you can't get it via an app on your television, then you may possibly be able to just watch it on your PC perhaps...
This is the link: https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...=2ahUKEwinianNxOzwAhUVXnwKHTksAxQQ0Qx6BAgBEAE

Last edited:
Tubi has some dubious content, but an easy way to watch B-Grades and an occasional Cult movie gem.

Be warned, it is pretty 'alternative' in places - definately avoid the Drama, Horror, and Romance categories around young and/or conservative audiences - it is highly unsuitable for children, and alot of the content in those sections may be considered obscene or shocking to many adults. It's very Mature Content at times.

However the remaining majority of the archives tends to be very inferior B-grade productions, although occasionally some classic Cult films show up to make it worthwhile. I just watched 'And God Created Woman' last week; I partially watched some strange Jodorowsky flick the week before; and the few weeks before that I watched an assortment of old Hammer Horror flicks. So that's the Top Shelf, and it spirals downward from there so that should give you an idea of what it's like.

Not really my cup of tea, I'm more of a Netflix/Amazon Prime watcher. Tubi just occasionally drags me in on odd nights, and its free.
If you can't get it via an app on your television, then you may possibly be able to just watch it on your PC perhaps...
This is the link: https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...=2ahUKEwinianNxOzwAhUVXnwKHTksAxQQ0Qx6BAgBEAE

The problem with Netflix in particular is its near non-existent selection of older films. Prime and Tubi are much better for both. In terms of genre Prime has loads of martial arts classics from Shaw Bros.

For cult, giallo, horror and exploitation Tubi is even better than Prime as they carry a number of great quality reissues by boutique labels like Shout Factory, Vinegar Syndrome, Severin and Scorpion.

The problem with Netflix in particular is its near non-existent selection of older films. Prime and Tubi are much better for both. In terms of genre Prime has loads of martial arts classics from Shaw Bros.

For cult, giallo, horror and exploitation Tubi is even better than Prime as they carry a number of great quality reissues by boutique labels like Shout Factory, Vinegar Syndrome, Severin and Scorpion.
All of the streaming services are pretty poor when it comes to older releases.

We are currently in a golden age of boutique blue-ray releases with many of the large studios licensing older titles out for release on physical media, often with new restorations. Sadly, outside of horror, many genres are not big sellers.

All of the streaming services are pretty poor when it comes to older releases.

We are currently in a golden age of boutique blue-ray releases with many of the large studios licensing older titles out for release on physical media, often with new restorations. Sadly, outside of horror, many genres are not big sellers.

TCM isn't a streaming service in Canada but it does an amazing job of older American films and even foreign, silent and B-movies/exploitation with TCM Underground.

Criterion's streaming service of course also has a nice selection of Hollywood and foreign classics.

I miss Filmstruck, it was a combination of TCM and The Criterion Channel and maintained a good size library in addition to rotating films in and out.

I got it to work by using a VPN service. Definitely some interesting stuff there. I have a high tolerance about the stuff you warned about, so I should be safe. But thanks for the warning anyway, and the rundown of what to expect.
Currently they have Reptilicus available. That's a very bad movie. But it's hilarious to see a Godzilla like monster, try to destroy Copenhagen.

One of the worst movies I've ever seen, was called Nude Nuns With Big Guns. Trust me. it's not as exciting as the title may make it seem. Badly produced and lot's of very bad acting. But all you horny bastards, are probably already furiously typing it into google.

My problem with streaming services, have always been their lack of old movies. Also a lot of them is not available here, and if they are they're often expensive. I often end paying for something I don't really use. I'm also old fashioned, in that I still like to actually own stuff. With streaming you don't own anything. You also might see a movie one month, and when you want to see it again it's gone.

One of the worst movies I've ever seen, was called Nude Nuns With Big Guns.
I remember my cousin had a really dodgy rpg in the late 1980s called "Macho Women With Guns!', heh heh it was pretty funny.
The game was not much more than a flimsy pamphlet with amateur art, quite politically incorrect. I think I read that it was republished briefly as a better quality production, but I can only remember my cousin's poor quality original booklet.

The premise was the the USA Economy had collapsed due to some financial mismanagements from the Reagan Administration, and the flow-on effect had triggered a world-wide apocalypse, it was pretty much the End Days.
A female Satan sends her Batwinged Bimbos From Hell down to ravage the Earth, and the characters are tough-ass afro funky disco queens and bleached hard rock strippers fighting back. I remember there was also an elite force fighting the Batwinged Bimbos From Hell, who were basically sexy biker Nuns with Guns, members of the Order of Our Lady Harley Davidson.

It was crazy stuff, I think we goofed off one game out of it, and it felt like a B-grade exploitation film.
The premise sounds similar to the movie you found, which pretty much sounds like routine fare for Tubi TV :grin:

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back