Thoughts on the new Pathfinder Core?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Urdlen's best boy

Deep Crawler
Reaction score
So apparently there's a new Pathfinder edition, preview of which has been released.

Some vid on it + PDF in the video description :

Personaly, I see some stuff which is "why not", at least in the abstract, but mostly I'm not fan of the execution. Some of it feels like they're still chasing some 5e'ed formula, like getting rid of alignment while changing the paint of. Strange to add a dictionary of equivalents if the fear is being too similar : wouldn't that be proof that they're copying the template and doing mostly the same?

Particularly meh, alignment is replaced by a system they call Anathema/Edicts and which is optional - so the last remnants of having some sort of faction from start are lost. It's also strangely specific : why not Principles? Virtues? In a setting (Golarion) which has an entire nation of atheists, it feels like a half-baked idea.

:trigger:

Last edited:
Hello Travellers and Welcome to Adventurecallfinder 2.6.9! Roll your numberballs betwixt your palms and prepare for an adventure beyond belief!

Become a mysterious Falafel or a mighty Sprout! Play as a dangerous Tenderizer or a magical Wizwallop! Channel your Frustration as a Barbarbaran or engage in nights of Bumjabbery as a cunning Stealer! The possibilities are positively legally distinct!!!!

Join us, Travellers, for the Gatepathkeeper awaits!!!!!

p04pcsqj.jpg

Probably because it stings less than just admitting that the first version sucked.
NO IT'S BECAUSE WIZARDS AND ORCS OF THE COAST AND STUFF!

Also, I am legally distinctively looking forward to rubbing my first occultic ramp to release the Showadawaddy bound therein, so it can grant me a Yes!

This isnt the remaster, this isnt a draft. The 15 pager document is a preview of the things that were changed so the Rage of Elements book would work with the remaster. Which a bunch of short sited redditors are all up in arms with over 2.5% of the picture.The remaster is because they have to remove all traces of the OGL that included Alignment as we all know it is a product of DND. Some classes are getting overhauls others are getting some alterations. If you want to see more then look up the youtube videos where it was talked about from this last paizo con or wait till next week when Gencon happens

This isnt the remaster, this isnt a draft. The 15 pager document is a preview of the things that were changed so the Rage of Elements book would work with the remaster. Which a bunch of short sited redditors are all up in arms with over 2.5% of the picture.The remaster is because they have to remove all traces of the OGL that included Alignment as we all know it is a product of DND. Some classes are getting overhauls others are getting some alterations. If you want to see more then look up the youtube videos where it was talked about from this last paizo con or wait till next week when Gencon happens
2.5% of the picture? Gross? I'll take that if I get 0.5% of merchandise revenue. Revenue, not profit!

Updated the thead so it says "Preview". That said, I reserve the right to judge things by 2,5% previews. If I buy some croissants and they turn out to be composed of 2,5% uncooked rat meat I might start formulating criticisms before finishing breakfast.

Updated the thead so it says "Preview". That said, I reserve the right to judge things by 2,5% previews. If I buy some croissants and they turn out to be composed of 2,5% uncooked rat meat I might start formulating criticisms before finishing breakfast.
Surely you mean "ratatoot flesh" and not rat meat? Which is a flagrant D&Dism and offends my lawyers!

Is it still just going to be a sticky mass of TEML TEML TEML TEML?
The people asked : "How legally distinct, great Paizo?" and Paizo answered :

"THERE SHALL BE A MIGHTY AND POWERFUL TEML
AND THE JAATHOOM SHALL BE SMOOTENED WHERE THEY STAND"

And thus knowledge of the legally distinct was bestowed onto man.

Hello Traveller!

"+1" is no longer Pigfondler Deux et Deux approved terminology! Please use "BIGADDUPA PLUSAPALOOZA EINSTURZENDE NEUBATEN" when adding a proliferation bonite to your numberball skittle.

Good Luck to you on your VENTURE TRAILS and may your ranky-ranks increase with narrative necessity!

READY FOR SOME LEGALLY DISTINCT GAMEPLAY, LARDFINDER?

GRIP YOUR SWORDILU OF MAGNIFICENT POTENCY WITH ADDITIONAL ZOUBLAR, AND COME LEAD THE RAPID ADVANCE AGAISNT WIZIWOZI OF THE COASTAL REGIONS

435.jpg
LETS SMOOTEN THESE SONS OF BITCHALOOMS!

READY FOR SOME LEGALLY DISTINCT GAMEPLAY, LARDFINDER?

GRIP YOUR SWORDILU OF MAGNIFICENT POTENCY WITH ADDITIONAL ZOUBLAR, AND COME LEAD THE RAPID ADVANCE AGAISNT WIZIWOZI OF THE COASTAL REGIONS

View attachment 65197
LETS SMOOTEN THESE SONS OF BITCHALOOMS!
I SHALL TAKE UP MINE ADZEN AND STORM THE UNREMEMBERED DOMINIONS OF AXMINSTER!

Particularly meh, alignment is replaced by a system they call Anathema/Edicts and which is optional - so the last remnants of having some sort of faction from start are lost. It's also strangely specific : why not Principles? Virtues? In a setting (Golarion) which has an entire nation of atheists, it feels like a half-baked idea.
PF2 already has this. Every deity has a set of anathema and edicts. They even have ones for atheism (under “Faiths and Philosophies” on p. 440 of the CRB). For the classes where alignment matters (like the cleric or champion), you had to follow your deity’s edicts and anathema anyway. Replacing alignments with additional edicts and anathema seems like a step in the right direction (towards more clarity and specificity for character beliefs).

Skimming over the rest of the PDF, some of the changes are pretty obviously to avoid the OGL. Dropping spell schools is an obvious one as is spell components, but changing “tools” to “toolkit”, really? I don’t like the change from “spell level” to “spell rank” (and I even use “spell rank” in my homebrew system!). I don’t like the way “1st-rank” reads in their examples. Others are fine I guess. Nothing about the remaster is going to make me want to want to run PF2 again, though I may pick up the books in case I ever get to play.

Skimming over the rest of the PDF, some of the changes are pretty obviously to avoid the OGL. Dropping spell schools is an obvious one as is spell components, but changing “tools” to “toolkit”, really? I don’t like the change from “spell level” to “spell rank” (and I even use “spell rank” in my homebrew system!). I don’t like the way “1st-rank” reads in their examples. Others are fine I guess. Nothing about the remaster is going to make me want to want to run PF2 again, though I may pick up the books in case I ever get to play.

I think dropping the use of the term levels for spells makes sense.

To those of us who grew up with D&D it is a non-issue but when I started to play 2e and later 5e with rpg newbies I saw how confusing the use of levels for spells AND for your PC power/class was to them.

PF2 already has this. Every deity has a set of anathema and edicts. They even have ones for atheism (under “Faiths and Philosophies” on p. 440 of the CRB). For the classes where alignment matters (like the cleric or champion), you had to follow your deity’s edicts and anathema anyway. Replacing alignments with additional edicts and anathema seems like a step in the right direction (towards more clarity and specificity for character beliefs).

I'm sure the anathema and edicts section for atheism, as a fan of philosophers like John Gray, Vico and Hume, would give me an aneurysm.

Last edited:
I'm sure the anathema and edicts section for atheism, as a fan of philosophers like John Gray, Vico and Hume, would give me an aneuryism.
Probably...:grin:

I think dropping the use of the term levels for spells makes sense.

To those of us who grew up with D&D it is a non-issue but when I started to play 2e and later 5e with rpg newbies I saw how confusing the use of levels for spells AND for your PC power/class was to them.
I agree it makes sense. I even use the same terminology! I just prefer “rank 1” (what I’m using) to “1st-rank” (what the preview is using). It’s like a really nitpicky thing. :goof:

I agree it makes sense. I even use the same terminology! I just prefer “rank 1” (what I’m using) to “1st-rank” (what the preview is using). It’s like a really nitpicky thing. :goof:

Oh yeah, I agree there. Rank 1 just has a better sound to it than 1st Rank.

I'm sure the anathema and edicts section for atheism, as a fan of philosophers like John Gray, Vico and Hume, would give me an aneurysm.

Atheism
While most concede that the gods exist, some do not view them as worthy of worship, and a few even deny their presence altogether.
Edicts: pursue your own agenda with faith in your own ability to excel
Anathema: offer prayers to a deity
Follower Alignments: all

:gooseshades:

Last edited:
Atheism
While most concede that the gods exist, some do not view them as worthy of worship, and a few even deny their presence altogether.
Edicts: pursue your own agenda with faith in your own ability to excel
Anathema: offer prays to a deity
Follower Alignments: all

:gooseshades:
It is rumoured that the Goddess of Lust is secretly having flings with atheists, without their knowledge, which often lead to them exclaiming "you're a goddess", before revealing her personality.
It was once pointed out to her that she is basically rewarding them for denying her.
Her reply was "you're wrong, I tell them afterwards that this is the last such time in their lives, and they'd never have a partner that comes even close...have you heard that I'm a bitch?"

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back