What my 2009/2010 RM Revision looked like....

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Rasyr

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
A little background -- around 2007, we had the idea of using RMX to do a version of Cyradon for RM, and calling it RM Cyradon. We had the first draft ready to go (it just needed some final pagemaking) when Seal said we could not do it cause it would create another version of RM and confuse things (Seal said "two friends" told him this -- this later turned out to be the two idiots currently running ICE). So after much back and forth, I got permission to do a RM Revision. You can read the proposed product plan on my personal website -- https://www.wizlair.net/post.html?an:tongue:roposed RM Revision Plan&fn=24April22 -- and in that product plan, I guestimated 128 pages. The final PDF was 130 pages, not including a cover. This got canceled by Seal at the last minute for being "too much like HARP"

The only HARP-like thing in it were the names of the Resistance Rolls -- they still worked like in previous RM versions.

Note that this was never published! Nor am I allowed to share it out...

THe core book would have had 4 races
Races.jpg
Start were 1-100, but the bonuses were more like those found in RMSS, smaller, cause they were outright additive (not averaged like in RM2).
the Racial decriptions included one or more Backgrounds that looked like this:

Barbarian: Athletics (2), Body Development (2), Combat Skills (3), Crafting (2), General Lore: Local Region (2), Maneuvering in Armor (2), Navigation (1), Perception (2), Stealth (2), Tracking (2)

Rural: Athletics (2), Body Development (2), Crafting (2), Combat Skills (2), General Lore: Local Region (2), Linguistics (6), Maneuvering in Armor (2), Perception (2), Navigation (1), Riding (1), Stealth (1)

These were basically starting ranks in skills based on their culture.

Each race also had several special abilities (for example, humans for to place 8 different +1 bonuses in their stats (in the bonuses, not the stat values), where Dwarves had Darkvision

Statss - as mentioned they were from 1-100 and you had both Temp and Potential.
You could use the array we gave, or use a random method (40 + 6d10 roll for each stat), so the absolute minimum would be 46, while the max would be 100.
Stats.jpg

Hit points were the total of the Body Development skill
Power Points for spells would have been 5 + Realm Stat Bonus + PP/Lvl from the table above.
Resistance Rolls were as follows:
Mental = Level Mod + Presence + Self Discipline
Physical = Level Mod + Constitution + Self Discipline
Physical = Level Mod + Empathy+ Intuition
RRs.jpg

You also get Development Points to make your character. You start with 70 to spend -- once those are spent, you are first level and have 10,000 XP total
Each time, you go up a level, you get another 35 DPs...

You have several things to spend them on -- Skills, Training Packages, and Gifts.

Skill costs were also based on Profession, just like previous RM

prof.jpg
As seen, only 6 Professions starting out and a small skill list, which would be expanded later....
Skill Rank bonuses would be like RM3, basically 5/2/1/0.1 (10 ranks per division).

the Combat skills were ot be learned in groups
weapons.jpg

Now for each group, you selected a Primary Weapon and got your full skill bonus in it, all other wepaons in the group were -10. If you tried to use a weapon in a group you no skill in, you would get -35 (-10 for no primary, -25 for no ranks) to your best weapon skill for that group. Each group would be a separate skill, just like spell lists, lore skills and Martial Arts
Martial arts basically had 3 sub-skills (Strikes, Sweeps & Throws, Wrestling/Grappling, the advanced versions could not be higher than the normal, and gave you a larger size attack.

During development you can also purchase Training packages, there are about 8 to select from. Training packages have SIMPLE creation rules and cost 5 + # of skill ranks in DPs.

You can also spend Development Points on Gifts. there is a list of 12 in the core rules... For example, you could spend 10 to get an Extra Base Spell List or to have Dark Vision if you do not already have it

Note: Cleric and Magician get 10 Base Lists, we give six and then they choose 4 from open and closed lists to be base lists (this affects their costs). Semi-spell users get 6 Base lists, they can choose from the 6 provided and/or the Open and Closed lists (i.e. they could choose a Closed List as one of their Base) -- any pre-defined Base List not chosen would be treated as a Closed List)

Armor would be by the piece, in a truncated fashion (body, pauldrons, bracers, Greaves, helms)
DB = 10 + (2 x Quickness Bonus) + modifiers
Initiative = 2d10 + Quickness bonus + Mods

The weapon table gives modifiers for the attack tables
weapon2.jpg

The attack tables have a column for every type of base armor
at.jpg

The crit tables are single column tables like those found in RMX, so that they could be later expanded into an Arms law product.

Spell lists went up to 10th level, and I was planning on making sure that none of them had blanks in them, also to be expanded to 50th level in Spell Law, and more lists added overall.

The Creatures and Treasures section had some encounter tables, a starter selection of monsters (33 monsters)
there are two small treasure generation tables as well (one table for money, one for magical items)

and finished up with a 2 page character sheet, and a 3 page index.

Attachments

• at.jpg
    at.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 2
I don't speak RMian well enough to understand that, yet, but it seems like improvements across the board:thumbsup:.

Thanks much for sharing this

I am also basically ignorant of the RM family (I have read HARP and skimmed SM: Privateers but I must admit, I gave up).

I also had your own Novus which I thought looked excellent, but sadly I never got to play it.

What would you say are the main advantages of what you describe here vs the new RM?

Also, we have had the whole OSR phenomenon show that rules can't be copyrighted, only their presentation. Did you ever consider swapping out some of the terminology and publishing anyway, especially as ICE management back in the day don't seem to have been your favourite chocolates in the box?

I also had your own Novus which I thought looked excellent, but sadly I never got to play it.

Thank you

What would you say are the main advantages of what you describe here vs the new RM?

I don't actually have RMU (I have copies of the beta that somebody sent me, but not the final product -- I refuse to give them money)

However, with that caveat, my version, along with my proposed product plan -- https://www.wizlair.net/post.html?an:tongue:roposed RM Revision Plan&fn=24April22 -- would have had a lower entry price point, and expanded it from there. It was designed to make it easier to bring in new customers.

RUM is a couple of very large books, which would appear to be nothing more than a novelty product for nolstalgia's sake, as it sure as hell is not designed to bring in new players.

Also, we have had the whole OSR phenomenon show that rules can't be copyrighted, only their presentation. Did you ever consider swapping out some of the terminology and publishing anyway, especially as ICE management back in the day don't seem to have been your favourite chocolates in the box?

Yes, I did consider it, but when the owner of the Rolemaster IP tells you that he will sue you (and you cannot afford that) if you make anything too close to Rolemaster that kinda puts a damper on things...

However, in recent years, Open-Ended Games has released Against the Darkmaster, which is an homage to the original MERP. And then they put it under an open license.

This allowed me to create a new game, that has been released under that license and under the Creative Commons license that is heavily based on Against the Darkmaster (also influenced by the 30th Edition of Arcanum, which was also released under CC license.

I call this system Fantasy Express (<-- link) --it is a 2d10 (not d100) system, with open-ended rolls.

It has a unique Vocation system, where you basically select 2 Vocational Kits to create your final Vocation, so you have multiple paths to design a character you want (there are 32 Vocational Kits, which means that there are 528 possible combinations.

The spell system is comprised of individual scalable spells. There are 250 base spells, with over 900 scaling options split among those spells, allowing for thousands of variations.

Resolution is handled through a single small universal table, the Fantasy Express Action/Task (FEAT) table. You can gain one or more Success Levels which can then enhance your results.

Combat uses this table too. And the player gets to use the Success Levels to build their own Critical Results. The Combat Boon table (one page) has a section for extra Critical Damage, and a section for Other Critical Results (i.e. disarm foe, knock them prone, gain a tactical advantage the next round, etc....)

You can use the link above and download the Character Generation Example, the Combat Example (both are free), and the first Quickstart (which is Pay what you want, so can be gotten for free) to check out the system in more detail before you decide whether or not you want to get it.

Now - be warned, Fantasy Express is in Open Beta, to it is subject to updates (at least once a month, sometimes more), as those who have the Beta provide feedback and we tweak and update the system (and those free products)

Thanks. The combat effects system in FanEx sounds a bit like Mythras, which is a plus in my book.

Thanks. The combat effects system in FanEx sounds a bit like Mythras, which is a plus in my book.

I have never actually played Mythras or read it,s o I do not know...

Combat

Roll 2d10 + Attack Bonus (AB) - foe's Defensive Modifier (DM)
Check the results on the FEAT table
FEAT.jpg
Arming Sword has a Damage Rating of 10s/8p -- which means you can decide to do 10 points of slashing damage, or 8 of piercing (most times going for the larger damage, but if you do not have enough space to swing,, you might need to stab)

Armor Rating -- we will take the Padded Gambeson is has an AR of (B5/S2/P2/E2/SL0), which means that damage is reduced by 5 points if the attack is bashing damage, by 2 if it is slashing, piercing, or energy (i.e. elemental) damage, and this armor does not reduce the number of Success Levels that might be earned (Full Plate has an SL of 1, and magical armors can also have SL above zero).

Possible Results, based on the table above

Critical Failure: The character has Fumbled the attack, and must roll on the Weapon Fumbles table.

Failure: The character's attack missed or only did a glancing blow that dealt no damage.

Partial Success: The attack deals the Damage Rating (DR) in Hit Damage. This is reduced by the the foe's AR agains this type of attack.

Success (1-4 Success Levels): The character earns one or more Success Levels as determined by how well they make their attack. Use the following steps to determine what damage is dealt.
•• Check to see if foe receives any Success Level reduction (i.e. the SL# portion of their AR). If so, reduce the number of SL delivered by the attack by that amount.

•• Determine how much base Hit Damage is dealt by the attack. This is the Damage Rating (DR) for the type of attack being made, plus 1 Hit of damage for every point that the attack roll is over 20 (i.e. a total attack roll of 24 will deal DR + 4 Hits). This cannot exceed double the DR of the attack, so if a weapon does 8 Hits for its DR, you can only get another 8 Hits (16 Hits total) from results over 20.

•• Spend your Success Levels on the Combat Boons table on the next page to determine the full results of your attack. If you choose Critical Damage, add the Extra Hits column to the amount figured above, and apply the other damage accordingly. You may spend all Success Levels on one item, or split them up and spend them on several Boons.

•• Subtract foe's AR for the type of attack you made from the total amount of damage. This Hit Damage and any other effects are applied to the foe.

Critical Success (5 Success Levels) •• Figure the results of the attack using the guidelines given in Success above.

•• Death Strike — The foe is automatically subject to the Death Strike entry from the Combat Boons table on the next page. This does not use any of the Success Levels earned by the attack. This is also in addition to any and all damage actually dealt by the attack.

Then once you know the success levels, you shoow from the table on the next page

crits.jpg

This is only a portion of it. The numbers on the left column are the Success Level costs. you can spend them how you like

Say you get 3 SL with the Arming Sword, you can spend one on extra damage (top section) and then 2 on getting a +2 on your attack the next round, or spend all three on damage.

If you choose any of the Critical Damage options, you ALWAYs do the Extra Hits for the number of SL spent, PLUS the damage listed under the column for the type of attacl

Again,y ou spend 3 SL on the Critical Damage (using Arming sword and a Slashing attack), you will deal +8 Hits, 1 Hit of Bleeding per round, and give the foe a -2 Modifier (until healed -- this is the "Pain(2)")

OK. So is "Stun(-2)" also a -2 to hit the same as "Pain(-2)"?

Not sure what I want the answer to be. If the effects are the same then I suppose it's just flavour. If they are different, then it sounds like potentially quite a lot of book-keeping.

I will say you have got my interest.

If you told me you don't use traditional initiative, I would give you my money immediately. Only teasing, almost everyone uses trad initiative... I've given up that quest. (Anyway there's Advanced Fighting Fantasy.)

Not sure what I want the answer to be. If the effects are the same then I suppose it's just flavour. If they are different, then it sounds like potentially quite a lot of book-keeping.

If you told me you don't use traditional initiative, I would give you my money immediately. Only teasing, almost everyone uses trad initiative... I've given up that quest. (Anyway there's Advanced Fighting Fantasy.)

Dazed = a lesser form of Stun (if you have both Dazed and Stun, the Stun takes place first, then the Dazed rounds...
Stun (2) = Stunned 2 Rounds
Pain (2) = you get two -1 modifiers (these are all cumulative)
Bleed (2) = taking 2 hits of damage per round from "ongoing damage" this could be blood loss, broken bones grinding together, acid continuing to work, etc...

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/471553/fantasy-express-combat-example for the Free combat example
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/478185/character-generation-example for the Free character generation example
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/473232/in-search-of-jafry-an-fx-quickstart-adventure for the quickstart which includes the adventure, 15 pregen characters, and an FX primer which includes a Player cheat sheet (this is Pay What You Want, so Free also)

For example

Dazed: Character is slightly staggered, unbalanced or disoriented for one or more rounds
• Considered Stun for purposes of relieving Stun
• Receive -4 to all actions while Dazed
• Stuns and Dazed stack, with Stuns happening before rounds of Dazed
• If Dazed before acting in the round, receives a -2 for actions, and Dazed begins in the next round

Stunned: Character is severely staggered, unbalanced or disoriented for one or more rounds
• Cannot take Full Actions
• Cannot Attack or Cast Spells, except for spells that relieve Stun
• May Parry, gain +1 DM for every -3 AB; may only Parry a single foe, no attack roll allowed
• If Stunned before acting in the round, may still act at -4, and will be Stunned starting the following round

The penalties in Dazed and Stun are temporary, and last only as long as those conditions....

Minuses from Pain last until healed....

You're not the only one...:grin:

Much to some people's dismay, the self-proclaimed Eastern Patriarch of the Mythras Cult is the guy doing the Rolemaster WIR thread. I predict there shall be some cross-polination between the two, and between fan groups, as it would be only right and proper...::honkhonk:

I have never actually played Mythras or read it,s o I do not know...
Here is a free PDF for you, if you want to read it - it has the parts that remind of the "build your own criticals". It simplifies little and mostly excludes several magic systems:thumbsup:.

Also, if you want to do less reading on it, download one of the first versions. They still have Manoeuvres/Special effects, and are less than half the pagecount...:shade:

...or for a very quick summary:
You have the attacker and defender both rolling.
Each roll has 4 levels of success difference, Crit, Success, Fail, Fumble.
If your attack or defense is successful and has a superior level of success over the opposing roll, you get one Special Effect bonus for every level of difference, in addition to the success of the action (i.e. a Crit on attack vs a Failure on defence deals damage and 2 Special Effects). These are things like Take Down, Blind Opponent, Maximize Damage, Disarm and stuff. A supplement (Book of Schemes) adds stuff like Gain Favour (in onlookers) and the likes.
Most of them can be resisted, though (the resist isn't an action).
So a crit defence vs a failed attack not only defends successfully, it can also disarm and take down the opponent...at which point you're smart to claim immediately you can pay ransom:tongue:!

Combat

Roll 2d10 + Attack Bonus (AB) - foe's Defensive Modifier (DM)
Check the results on the FEAT table
View attachment 81302
Arming Sword has a Damage Rating of 10s/8p -- which means you can decide to do 10 points of slashing damage, or 8 of piercing (most times going for the larger damage, but if you do not have enough space to swing,, you might need to stab)

Armor Rating -- we will take the Padded Gambeson is has an AR of (B5/S2/P2/E2/SL0), which means that damage is reduced by 5 points if the attack is bashing damage, by 2 if it is slashing, piercing, or energy (i.e. elemental) damage, and this armor does not reduce the number of Success Levels that might be earned (Full Plate has an SL of 1, and magical armors can also have SL above zero).

Possible Results, based on the table above

Critical Failure: The character has Fumbled the attack, and must roll on the Weapon Fumbles table.

Failure: The character's attack missed or only did a glancing blow that dealt no damage.

Partial Success: The attack deals the Damage Rating (DR) in Hit Damage. This is reduced by the the foe's AR agains this type of attack.

Success (1-4 Success Levels): The character earns one or more Success Levels as determined by how well they make their attack. Use the following steps to determine what damage is dealt.
•• Check to see if foe receives any Success Level reduction (i.e. the SL# portion of their AR). If so, reduce the number of SL delivered by the attack by that amount.

•• Determine how much base Hit Damage is dealt by the attack. This is the Damage Rating (DR) for the type of attack being made, plus 1 Hit of damage for every point that the attack roll is over 20 (i.e. a total attack roll of 24 will deal DR + 4 Hits). This cannot exceed double the DR of the attack, so if a weapon does 8 Hits for its DR, you can only get another 8 Hits (16 Hits total) from results over 20.

•• Spend your Success Levels on the Combat Boons table on the next page to determine the full results of your attack. If you choose Critical Damage, add the Extra Hits column to the amount figured above, and apply the other damage accordingly. You may spend all Success Levels on one item, or split them up and spend them on several Boons.

•• Subtract foe's AR for the type of attack you made from the total amount of damage. This Hit Damage and any other effects are applied to the foe.

Critical Success (5 Success Levels) •• Figure the results of the attack using the guidelines given in Success above.

•• Death Strike — The foe is automatically subject to the Death Strike entry from the Combat Boons table on the next page. This does not use any of the Success Levels earned by the attack. This is also in addition to any and all damage actually dealt by the attack.

Then once you know the success levels, you shoow from the table on the next page

View attachment 81303

This is only a portion of it. The numbers on the left column are the Success Level costs. you can spend them how you like

Say you get 3 SL with the Arming Sword, you can spend one on extra damage (top section) and then 2 on getting a +2 on your attack the next round, or spend all three on damage.

If you choose any of the Critical Damage options, you ALWAYs do the Extra Hits for the number of SL spent, PLUS the damage listed under the column for the type of attacl

Again,y ou spend 3 SL on the Critical Damage (using Arming sword and a Slashing attack), you will deal +8 Hits, 1 Hit of Bleeding per round, and give the foe a -2 Modifier (until healed -- this is the "Pain(2)")
I like that approach:gooselove:.

Dazed = a lesser form of Stun (if you have both Dazed and Stun, the Stun takes place first, then the Dazed rounds...
Stun (2) = Stunned 2 Rounds
Pain (2) = you get two -1 modifiers (these are all cumulative)
Bleed (2) = taking 2 hits of damage per round from "ongoing damage" this could be blood loss, broken bones grinding together, acid continuing to work, etc...

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/471553/fantasy-express-combat-example for the Free combat example
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/478185/character-generation-example for the Free character generation example
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/473232/in-search-of-jafry-an-fx-quickstart-adventure for the quickstart which includes the adventure, 15 pregen characters, and an FX primer which includes a Player cheat sheet (this is Pay What You Want, so Free also)

For example

Dazed: Character is slightly staggered, unbalanced or disoriented for one or more rounds
• Considered Stun for purposes of relieving Stun
• Receive -4 to all actions while Dazed
• Stuns and Dazed stack, with Stuns happening before rounds of Dazed
• If Dazed before acting in the round, receives a -2 for actions, and Dazed begins in the next round

Stunned: Character is severely staggered, unbalanced or disoriented for one or more rounds
• Cannot take Full Actions
• Cannot Attack or Cast Spells, except for spells that relieve Stun
• May Parry, gain +1 DM for every -3 AB; may only Parry a single foe, no attack roll allowed
• If Stunned before acting in the round, may still act at -4, and will be Stunned starting the following round

The penalties in Dazed and Stun are temporary, and last only as long as those conditions....

Minuses from Pain last until healed....
Also, I like that as well!

For that matter: can you give us a brief rundown what are the differences between Novus 1e, Novus 2e and Fantasy Express? I admit I haven't been following you closely. It looks like Novus (or only 2e?) is classless, while FEx is class-based, or at least doesn't note being classless.
Do both use "build your own critical" as part of the system?

Last edited:
For that matter: can you give us a brief rundown what are the differences between Novus 1e, Novus 2e and Fantasy Express? I admit I haven't been following you closely. It looks like Novus (or only 2e?) is classless, while FEx is class-based, or at least doesn't note being classless.
Do both use "build your own critical" as part of the system?

Don't ask for much do you? HEHEHE

Novus 1e -- had classes and levels, but they were mostly there for structure, I acutally have the whole game up on my website -- https://www.firehawkgames.biz/index.php?page=n1etoc -- (it was originally done in a wiki-like manner) It does have Combat Boons - however, Boon points were gained by rolling over the Target Number (everything was TN based, and you got Boon Points for every 10 points over the TN you rolled). Note that the Combat Boons table looks more like the bottom section of the FX Combat Boons table (except that it includes entries that deal extra damage and other critical effects)

The spells were built using a well defined spell creation system. As for Skills, you had Favored Skills and Non-Favored, and the costs for ranks were based on that.

Novus 2e - In Novus 2e, there were no levels, there are Training Paths. There are no Combat Boons, but there is critical Damage, which is based on how many hits you deliver (and how much over the target's Stamina they are). The Critical Damage in Novus 2e is similar to thye top of the FX Critical Boons table. I have the same Quickstart adventure available to Novus 2e as I have for Fantasy Express - so you can get that for free (it is Pay What You Want) to check out the system a bit more.

Fantasy Express -- As mentioned previously, Fantasy Express is based primarily on Against the Darkmaster (vsD). with Grievous Grimoire (a vsD add-on by Imaginary Turtles) being a big influence, as well as the 30th Anniversary edition of Arcanum (which was released under CC).

In Fantasy Express, I started off trying to create Attack and Critical tables similar to those found in Against the Darkmaster, but the more I worked on them, the less I like writing table after table after table (12 attack tables and a crit table for each). In fact, here is a screen shot of what an early version would have looked like (it even included stuff for called shots)

AttackCirt.jpg

The number after the Delta symbol would be added to the Crit rolls. But as I worked on them it became harder and harder to make them more unique, everything boiled down to sameness in many case.

Then I got the idea of using the table I used for eveyrthing else, and after some tweaking back and forth, one playtester recommended using the Boon table from Novus 1, and that later evolved into the current Combat Boons table that is currently in the game, which I like very much!!

Another difference between Novus and FX is that the spells in FX are NOT built using any sort of Spell Creation system. Arcanum's 30th anniversary edition were the main inspiration, and I used them as the base and went from there, though I did try to keep similar scaling options the same. Some scaling options increase the Tier of the spell (which means you need more ranks in the spell to cast it without risking Abnormal Spell Failure (ASF)), other Scaling options ad a Casting Modifier, which means that they are cast at lower Tiers, but are harder to cast

spells.jpg
These are three of the spells known one of the Pregens, he has 3 ranks in Armor of Faith and Holy Blast (with a total skill bonus of 10 in each) and 2 ranks in Faith Healing (total bonus of 9). (he is a cleric). Casting spells requires 2 ranks in the spell for each Tier you want to cast it as. So, for the Faith Healing spell, right now, it can be used to heal 2 of the items on the list (or the same item twice), which means this character can heal a max of 4 hits in one casting. If he wants to risk ASF, he can double that to heal a max of 8 hit if he cast it as a Tier 2 spell (ASF increases the fumble range, and adds to spell fumble rolls, so you receive a worse fumble)

Looks like I started rambling... heheh....

Don't ask for much do you? HEHEHE
Oh, I ask for much and know it. I just rely on authors of games loving to tell people about the games they created...::honkhonk:

Novus 1e -- had classes and levels, but they were mostly there for structure, I acutally have the whole game up on my website -- https://www.firehawkgames.biz/index.php?page=n1etoc -- (it was originally done in a wiki-like manner) It does have Combat Boons - however, Boon points were gained by rolling over the Target Number (everything was TN based, and you got Boon Points for every 10 points over the TN you rolled). Note that the Combat Boons table looks more like the bottom section of the FX Combat Boons table (except that it includes entries that deal extra damage and other critical effects)

The spells were built using a well defined spell creation system. As for Skills, you had Favored Skills and Non-Favored, and the costs for ranks were based on that.

Novus 2e - In Novus 2e, there were no levels, there are Training Paths. There are no Combat Boons, but there is critical Damage, which is based on how many hits you deliver (and how much over the target's Stamina they are). The Critical Damage in Novus 2e is similar to thye top of the FX Critical Boons table. I have the same Quickstart adventure available to Novus 2e as I have for Fantasy Express - so you can get that for free (it is Pay What You Want) to check out the system a bit more.

Fantasy Express -- As mentioned previously, Fantasy Express is based primarily on Against the Darkmaster (vsD). with Grievous Grimoire (a vsD add-on by Imaginary Turtles) being a big influence, as well as the 30th Anniversary edition of Arcanum (which was released under CC).

In Fantasy Express, I started off trying to create Attack and Critical tables similar to those found in Against the Darkmaster, but the more I worked on them, the less I like writing table after table after table (12 attack tables and a crit table for each). In fact, here is a screen shot of what an early version would have looked like (it even included stuff for called shots)

View attachment 81349

The number after the Delta symbol would be added to the Crit rolls. But as I worked on them it became harder and harder to make them more unique, everything boiled down to sameness in many case.

Then I got the idea of using the table I used for eveyrthing else, and after some tweaking back and forth, one playtester recommended using the Boon table from Novus 1, and that later evolved into the current Combat Boons table that is currently in the game, which I like very much!!

Another difference between Novus and FX is that the spells in FX are NOT built using any sort of Spell Creation system. Arcanum's 30th anniversary edition were the main inspiration, and I used them as the base and went from there, though I did try to keep similar scaling options the same. Some scaling options increase the Tier of the spell (which means you need more ranks in the spell to cast it without risking Abnormal Spell Failure (ASF)), other Scaling options ad a Casting Modifier, which means that they are cast at lower Tiers, but are harder to cast

View attachment 81351
These are three of the spells known one of the Pregens, he has 3 ranks in Armor of Faith and Holy Blast (with a total skill bonus of 10 in each) and 2 ranks in Faith Healing (total bonus of 9). (he is a cleric). Casting spells requires 2 ranks in the spell for each Tier you want to cast it as. So, for the Faith Healing spell, right now, it can be used to heal 2 of the items on the list (or the same item twice), which means this character can heal a max of 4 hits in one casting. If he wants to risk ASF, he can double that to heal a max of 8 hit if he cast it as a Tier 2 spell (ASF increases the fumble range, and adds to spell fumble rolls, so you receive a worse fumble)

Looks like I started rambling... heheh....
Thank you. I'm reading it now, but I might wait for the full game in order to get it in print...:thumbsup:

Oh, I ask for much and know it. I just rely on authors of games loving to tell people about the games they created...::honkhonk:

Thank you. I'm reading it now, but I might wait for the full game in order to get it in print...:thumbsup:

The current PDF price is the price that it will cost for the PDF when purchased with the print book. Once I send and get a print version ready, the PDF price (for standalone PDF) will go up.

If you get it now, you can also go to the Firehawk Games website and join the playtest group and get your name will be added to the credits as well..... :thumbsup:

The current PDF price is the price that it will cost for the PDF when purchased with the print book. Once I send and get a print version ready, the PDF price (for standalone PDF) will go up.

If you get it now, you can also go to the Firehawk Games website and join the playtest group and get your name will be added to the credits as well..... :thumbsup:
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it in print, anyway. I like systems like that:thumbsup:.

...I guess I can just get the FXL tomorrow, and get the print later:tongue:. Be prepared for criticism if that happens, though, the inner editor can be hard to switch off:grin:!

I just read the combat example and I can confirm for Triumvir Triumvir and anyone that cares that yes, criticals do feel like Manoeuvres::honkhonk:!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back