When to change editions?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Caesar Slaad

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Being the first in the series of discussion I jotted down when bored at work. I started this rumination when my Pathfinder 2e books arrived. Though I've had it for a bit now, I’m not even sure if I’ll ever play it. And why is that?

I am not going to delve too deeply into that specific case, but I thought it would be interesting to examine the more general process of decision making of whether to start running a new edition of a game you are already playing. This is far from my first rodeo. There have been many games for which I have made the decision either to move forward (AD&D->2e->3e, CT->MT, etc.), and other games where I have decided not to follow course (MT->TNE, 3.x->4e).

Reasons to transition:

1 - It’s the version the company is currently putting out.

I thought I’d put this up front because taken by itself, I think it’s the most value-absent reason to update editions, with the important caveat that I am not talking about other facts that often come with this fact (current support, etc.) There seems to be a large body of players for whom this is reason enough. Call it brand loyalty, etc., but I think that absent other factor, it’s not sufficient value.

2 – Current support

Most game companies adopt a new system and never look back. If new content is something that drives your games (or your obsession to consume content you might not ever use, if you have that malady), that can be a significant and well-justified decision point.

3 – Addresses problems I have with the game

As far as I am concerned, this is THE primary reason to go with a new edition. If you love the idea of a game, but find that some major bugaboo is impeding your enjoyment, and the new edition fixes it, then it seems like a no brainer.

4 – Does something exciting and new

This one’s a bit riskier. If the game is getting stale, try something new! Sadly, I find this is a miss more than a hit.

Reason to stay:

1 – Current campaigns

Probably the #1 reason to forestall edition changes at least temporarily is that you are currently running a campaign using the rules. Unless the new rules-set is highly portable, it’s rarely worth the time and effort to transition systems IME. Indeed, in some systems, new editions can effectively invalidate existing character or make them unplayable/undesirable, even if they aren’t necessarily abusive.

2 – Philosophical difference with changes

In many cases, what the designers think deserve design attention, or the solutions they choose to apply, are not what you want or need out of a game. This is a big thing that kept me away from D&D 4th edition. Even as early as D&D 3.5, I disliked rules that made the map more of a boss than a facilitator when it changed the cover rule from a DM call about what was happening in the world to tracing lines on a battlematt. 4e continued this trend of making the battlematt key.

3 – Actual steps backwards

Sometimes the designers aren’t as clever as they think they are, or don’t understand the functional benefit of systems they have chosen alter or replace. Now I admit that the difference between this and the previous one may be a matter of perception, but the ends of that spectrum seem pretty clear to me.

4 – Absence of support of new system

So let’s say you like what the designers are doing with the new edition and you want to play. If the system is one that previously enjoyed a lot of supporting material (character option books, adversary/monster books, equipment books, adventures), you immediately find yourself without that material. In some cases, the system is highly portable and you can use the old material with few adjustments. But the sorts of games for which this is typically true are the sorts of systems for which many critics agree that not enough was done to actually improve the game (Call of Cthulhu, I am looking at you).

One happy exception for me here seems to be Traveller. I can use CT products with MT, and use either of those with MgT1e or even for T20 for everything but characters.

In many cases, this issue tends to vanish after time after the company has had a chance to put out new material, though in many (most?) cases, the same sourcebooks/adventures never get reprinted. But if the general idea of support is something you need, sometimes it’s enough to simply wait a year or two for it to materialize.

4b – Electronic Support

Systems that allow or even rely on third party support in some form seldom get the same sort of support through edition changes. This is particular issue in software support, since most game companies that enjoy it rely on third parties to achieve it.

That’s exactly what I was experiencing with Pathfinder. Hero Lab was a superlative tool that helped me tame the beast that was Pathfinder 1st edition. But Hero Lab has fully committed to the notion of “cloud support” for their newer version of the tool. When I ran Starfinder (the first game to be supported fully by their cloud model), it became clear to me how unrealistic that model was. Too many places I might find myself gaming (FLGS, Hotel, Convention Center, Friend’s House) do not have reliable internet connections yet, and that’s not an obstacle I care to put up with when running a game.

4b – Reduction of options

If you have an option-rich game, and the shift in editions is not largely backwards compatible, you will find yourself having to make new characters with what seems like a much more limited palette of character options. This might limit flexibility in character design in general, or remove a specific favored option that a player enjoys playing.

This is probably the issue most Pathfinder fans were grappling with.

4c – Setting Dead Ends

This mostly applies to D&D, though if you can think of other examples I’d be interested to hear it. D&D has variant settings like Planescape and Dark Sun that were fan favorites. Wizards never re-released those settings in full, and half-measures like Dragon articles to port them to new editions have never done them justice.

5 – Indoctrinating players

Even if a game has mostly worthwhile changes, the table time taken to teach players the changes in the system may not be worth it.

6 – Cash and time investment (or “What I have works”)

Games can be a big investment in terms of both acquisition and learning time. Games don’t stop working just because the rules are less than perfect. How much is it worth to you to grab a whole new set of books for your game?

This is where I sit with Mongoose Traveller 2nd edition. It seems like it’s a nice game with better art and some nice modern features. Yet, I have already accumulated a somewhat expensive collection on first edition books which, while they have some problems, fundamentally do what I want from session to session.

7 – (Meta)Setting shift

Some games have explicit settings that may shift due to “pushing the timeline forward”. Others game may just have implied setting elements, but add or shift setting elements that make the game “about” something modestly different than what you were running before.

In some cases the rules support a world with changes you aren’t interested in including. In other cases, the book creates expectations among players that you don’t want to fight against. I spent years in D&D 3.x telling players I would not be using the Forgotten Realms deities included in the PHB; I wasn’t looking forward to turning down a gaggle of players who wanted to play dragonborn because they didn’t fit in any existing culture in my game world.

This was one of the reasons that I didn’t shift in the case of both 3.x->4e and MegaTaveller->Traveller: The New Era.

Third option: jumping ship!

A new edition of a beloved game comes along. You understand the shortcomings of the game that the new edition is trying to address, yet you don’t like where the designers are going. What is a gamer to do?

One last option is neither! There are plenty of sexy games out here, and if your current game is wearing thin, and the next edition isn't lighting your fire, the coming of a new edition might just be the thing to get you to make the jump and embrace a different game you have been intrigued by for a while.

Maybe now is the time to try something new, or port a favored setting to a system with its own strengths and weaknesses. This is sort of the path that many D&D 3.x fans took when 4e came along.

A new edition can be rated on a spectrum from 1 (clean up, errata, and needed fixes) on one end to 10 (essentially a different game) on the other. If a new edition drops when I'm mid-campaign, the closer it is to 1, the more likely it is that I will buy the new edition and use it in my game.

Change systems when you are no longer satisfied with your current game. In regards to pathfinder, I never got into first edition, and the wealth of options is very overwhelming to me as a new player, so pathfinder 2e was the perfect jumping on point for me.

I tried 2nd edition AD&D but went back to 1st way back when. 2nd was fine, though. I don't really remember anymore why we dropped it and went back to 1st. I do know that 1st is more fun to read and I like all the weird little tics and quirks that make it so obviously not written by committee. I'd be more inclined to play Basic or OD&D now if I were going to run it (as I'm running Basic for my kids off and on lately).

Other than that, the only other games I can think of where I actually changed editions are DC Heroes (better gadget and power/skill cost rules in 2nd) and FASA Star Trek (which is not much different from 1st anyway).

I don't count Marvel Super Heroes as I still play the yellow box and just borrow what I want from the "Advanced" set. Same with Champions where I just incorporate some power rules that worked better in later versions (like Growth or whatever it's called) and some advantages/drawbacks that simply weren't thought of yet (like Hole In The Middle). I'm essentially still playing 2nd edition Champions when I run it.

Last edited:
I think the main matter is whether the new edition is a substantial enough improvement over the last to justify the change. I'm all for cleaning up errata or replacing bad artwork but I really hate when the new edition isn't even the same game.

Thinking about it... I must be a real stick in the mud, because I generally do not move on to subsequent editions of games I like.
I'm happy to see house rules and 'official' alternatives... but I usually find that the first edition was the one formed from inspiration, while subsequent ones rely more on desperation (the need to sell more product).
I'm inconsistent on this though, because if I'm new to an older system I am not loathe to jump in at a later reworking of the rules.
Like, I was never into any of the original White Wolf/WoD games... but now that I've got a craving to try WoD, I find myself happy with the NWoD approach (less rigidly defined setting and more support for games focused on mortals).

In the case of D&D, I started with AD&D... never groked it... never cared for any of the later editions much... but I found I can get along with B/X just fine, though I'd never looked at it until a few years ago.

Last edited:
3 or 4 is what I’ll change for. If it either attempts to fix an issue I have, or seems like it’s doing something cool that I wanna try out.

I'm not quite sure how it maps with the reasons, but the various version jumping I've done:

Holmes Basic to OD&D to AD&D (reasons to change 1, 2, 4)- I started playing D&D just before AD&D started coming out. Jumping from Holmes was an obvious choice after our first weekend of gaming resulted in several campaigns as PCs exceeded level 3 and then were retired. OD&D really served as a stop gap, plus I really didn't have a long term campaign started until we started using MM, PH, and OD&D to fill in, adopting the DMG as soon as we got it. By the time AD&D 2e was coming out in grad school, I was moving away from D&D. I think moving to AD&D was good, the play group at the time benefited from the increased options of AD&D.

Classic Traveller -> Mega Traveller (reason to change 1) - I picked up Mega Traveller and thought I'd try it out in grad school, new group of players, new campaign. Didn't last, but then I also basically abandoned Traveller (or SF gaming in general) for many years. I bought various other editions over time but never ran any of them (I briefly played in a MgT2e play by post).

Arcana Unearthed to Arcana Evolved (reason to change 1) - I had started Arcana Unearthed using D&D 3.5. That campaign ended. A new campaign was starting and AE was out, so I upgraded and used that. I think that was a good transition but it also wasn't a radical change. Really mostly just some new Prestige Classes.

Burning Wheel Revised to Burning Wheel Gold (Reasons to change 1-4) - The new rules had a lot of cleanup worth taking, also we started a new campaign.

RuneQuest (Reasons to stay 1,2 ,6, 7 [in the case of RQ3, HW/HQ, RQG]) - I refused to buy RQ2 when it first came out, I did buy RQ3 and eventually RQ2. I have used elements from RQ2 and RQ3 but solidly stand by RQ1. My game is best described though as RQ1.5.

Top Secret to Top Secret SI (reason to change 1) - I ran some Top Secret back in the day. In grad school I ran a TSSI campaign.

I'm trying to think what other games I've stuck with long enough to play different editions of. I have purchased lots of new editions, but I'm not sure I've even played any of them. I've been tempted to run all the versions of Talislanta in sequence...

If the wind shifts directions I'll change because why not? I like learning new things. Nothing is perfect so I'm fine trying new things.
That said with the way my life is right now deep character build games are less appealing. From that point of view D&D 5e was an improvement from 4e.

Hero 6e wasn't an improvement over 5e which wasn't an improvement over 4e. It sort of peaked at 3e for HERO.

Conceptually, new editions are a hard sale for me. If I am happy with the game, why do I need to buy it again? Even if the original wasn't perfect I probably already have got my own fixes. If didn't care for a game first time round, what are the chances I'll give a second shot, with so many games out there?

It works the other way round too. I have a copy of Ghostbusters International. I am told that the original Ghostbusters is so much better. I don't doubt that, I just know the version I have works well enough at the table.

Reality is of course a lot messier. I have ended up with multiple editions of some games, either out of curiousity, collector urges or because it was really cheap. That doesn't mean I necessarily stick with the newer version. Whether it's WEG or ICONS, I tend to go back to the original. It suits me better.

Last edited:
The OP's list was a pretty extensive one. But for me, I just treat a new edition like another game that's vaguely similar to one I already own. Then it's easier to decide!

The OP's list was a pretty extensive one. But for me, I just treat a new edition like another game that's vaguely similar to one I already own. Then it's easier to decide!
That's a nice attitude to have. And allows each edition of a game to be independent. You can like (you as in the general you, not you as in AsenRG necessarily) AD&D 1e AND D&D 3.x.

Sometimes though a new edition isn't quite a whole new game but a tweaking. And there I also see this point:
Conceptually, new editions are a hard sale for me. If I am happy with the game, why do I need to buy it again? Even if the original wasn't perfect I probably already have got my own fixes. If didn't care for a game first time round, what are the chances I'll give a second shot, with so many games out there?
For me, sometimes the answer is no, I don't need the new edition because it isn't fixing something I haven't already fixed. Other times, it's a refinement (AU to AE which mostly just brought the text I had already bashed from a D&D 3.0 base to a D&D 3.5 base). Other times, like Burning Wheel Gold, the fixes weren't necessarily things I identified as broken or if I did, I really didn't know how to fix them. But Burning Wheel Gold is barely more than a refinement.

I initially rejected RuneQuest 2nd edition because of the cost for what I thought was basically the same game. I did eventually gain a philosophical objection to some of the changes, and ultimately, now that I have spent countless hours comparing 1st and 2nd editions, paragraph by paragraph, I have a better understanding of some of the changes. Some I like, some I don't. This my declaration than I'm playing RQ 1.5.

I certainly looked at Top Secret: SI as a "new" game that really just borrowed the nostalgia for Top Secret. TS:SI is an enjoyable game, and maybe a more workable game than TS, but TS also stands by itself. I would certainly label D&D 3.x as a "new" game (and presumably 4e and 5e, but I haven't engaged with those games). OD&D through AD&D 2nd through Holmes, BX, and BECMI are variations of the same game, though I now happily allow all to coexist, though I doubt I will ever invest in 2e, I have all the other pre-3.0 versions, well I don't have Rules Compendium which IS a new edition of BECMI).

Frank

It seems that the games I enjoyed most back in the day got significantly worse after their early editions. For that reason, these days a new edition is more a red flag situation than a reason to get excited. But there are so many editions of so many games available that cherry-picking a Redux Edition for your favourite property is sort of a sub-hobby all to itself, if you like kit-bashing, which I do.

It seems that the games I enjoyed most back in the day got significantly worse after their early editions. For that reason, these days a new edition is more a red flag situation than a reason to get excited. But there are so many editions of so many games available that cherry-picking a Redux Edition for your favourite property is sort of a sub-hobby all to itself, if you like kit-bashing, which I do.
Et tu, Wormturn:grin:?
Yeah, me too:tongue:!

That's a nice attitude to have. And allows each edition of a game to be independent. You can like (you as in the general you, not you as in AsenRG necessarily) AD&D 1e AND D&D 3.x.
Yeah, some games are more of a tweak. You can still take them as separate games, and you can even factor "very similar to game X which I did/didn't enjoy, would require little relearning" in the assessment.

For me it’s usually a kitbash. AD&D 1st and 2nd, Shadowrun 2nd and 3rd, slightly different Palladium games, I just spliced them together.

I only ignore the new editions when they switch enough to be less compatible and worse than came before, like D&D4e, SR4-6e, WFRP3e, CoC7e etc.

3 or 4 is what I’ll change for. If it either attempts to fix an issue I have, or seems like it’s doing something cool that I wanna try out.

Same here.

I have been looking at different editions of WFRP plus Zweihänder for weeks now — not that I am running anything anytime soon — but I have a bad, bad case of “I want something from each of these editions.”

Which I’m finding harder to parse than most choices. My “which D&D to run” algorithm is pretty clear-cut. “Which BRP fantasy to run” is trivial to solve because the system is very modular and easy to mix and match. WFRP though, WFRP is kicking my ass.

If I'm perfectly happy with an edition of a game, I usually won't switch. I still am fine with 1st edition WEG Star Wars, 2nd edition Shadowrun, 2nd Edition Paranoia, 3rd edition Call of Cthulhu, first edition WFRP, etc. There simply hasn't been any motivation for me to "update", as I don't really see anything wrong with the games that requires the system overhaul later editions generally offer. I guess technically MSH has two editions, but it was really just a new Basic set to conform to the changes in the Advanced set, and its still all pretty much the same game. My experiences with D&D pretty much all revolve around a mashup of AD&D 1st ed and 2nd ed, and I had problems with that system from day one, and no other edition of the game actually addresses any of those problems, it just adds new ones. I dunno, I don't know of many RPGs where "new edition" actually means "improving on the last edition". A few in the 80s - a second edition that was mostly cleanup and lessons learned, but generally I find "new edition" just means "new game". And a completely different game is just that - it doesn't update the old game, it doesn't revise it. So I guess in the end my answer to the question "when do you switch to a new edition?" is...."when I want to play a completely different game".

Reasons to upgrade 1 and 2 are very important if you have to rely on open gaming to play (cons, game stores etc). For a time you can still find the older edition, but they will fade once the new edition has been out for awhile and official support dries up.
There are exceptions of course, D&D and Traveller have had a bit of a charmed life in this regard, but the version in print will almost always be the easiest to find after a short duration. Go to a con and I'm pretty sure you will find a lot more 5E games than AD&D, B/X or any single flavor of retro clone.

Reasons to stay 2,3,5, and 7 are ones I have definitely run up against, 6 to a lesser extent which depends how it is done.

HERO 6E 2, 3, 4 and 6 were issues. I hated most of the changes,and they provided little support for the game after the switch. A good portion of what was released was the same stuff I already had except it said 6E on the cover. 5E has been out of print now for 10, 12 years? and there are still a much larger number of supplements for 4E and 5E. The popularity of 6E is not great enough that it will significantly effect the odds of my finding a game.

The change from 3E to 4E and 4E to 5E were not nearly as difficult for me since there had been a period of neglect so the new edition was a little bit of breathing new life into the game. There are some things I like better about 3E vs 4E, but there were also some improvements so added to an increase of support there wasn't much reason not to accept the new. 4E to 5E was even less change and HERO had been on life support for a couple of years, so new edition and tons of new product made any issues real easy to overlook. Note I use HERO mostly for non-Supers games, the perspective on support might be different for a Champions player.

GURPS 4E 2, 5 and and to a lesser extent 6 have been an issue. 5 was my main dislike. It was just different enough that it was an effort to relearn, and similar enough that it is hard to keep straight what is 3E and what is 4E. Add in a few things I don't feel were improvements and the fact I have about a cubic meter of 3E supplements and it just made it hard to get excited about the new edition. I also feel like both GURPS 4E and HERO 6E made too many concessions to be like the other and completely missed the boat on making the game any easier to learn / play.

Twilight 2000 is the only game that comes to mind with regard to #7. I really feel like the post cold war lead up to war in V2 (written after the USSR fell) is weak, and prefer to ignore events after 1988. Since this is all related to background info, it has little impact on play. I had many rule issues with V1, and far prefer V2.2 over V1 and V2. It took GDW 2-1/2 tries to get it mostly right.

AD&D to 2E was hardly even noticed. The way it rolled out to the group I was playing with we just saw it more as reprints and new supplements, new classes, added feats etc. I suspect what changes there were may have involved parts we didn't use or were house ruling anyway.

RQ2 to RQ3 was kind of the same, we were not deeply invested in Glorantha so the switch to Fantasy Europe was a non-issue. Again the changes are fairly light unless it happens to have been a part you felt strongly about (we didn't).

Call of Cthulhu... until 7E there has been little edition drama. I don't like change for change sake, and that is mostly what I see with 7E, but I'm not seeing anything that I can't live with. I'm also not seeing enough that I think someone who stays with 1-6 will have a hard time either.

Those are the big ones for me.

Last edited:
Reasons to upgrade 1 and 2 are very important if you have to rely on open gaming to play (cons, game stores etc). For a time you can still find the older edition, but they will fade once the new edition has been out for awhile and official support dries up.
There are exceptions of course, D&D and Traveller have had a bit of a charmed life in this regard, but the version in print will almost always be the easiest to find after a short duration. Go to a con and I'm pretty sure you will find a lot more 5E games than AD&D, B/X or any single flavor of retro clone.
Interesting for the games I most like to play the early editions are all pretty easy to come by at least in PDF form. D&D, Classic Traveller, and RuneQuest. Traveller is even often free in the form of Starter Traveller.

If the new edition improves on a mechanic(s) I dislike is the most common reason I'll switch.

I prefer the editions not change too much between editions (Coc and Pendragon) unless I considered the original ruleset inferior to the setting or game premise (e.g. love Paranoia but can take or leave the original ruleset).

For me it’s usually a kitbash. AD&D 1st and 2nd, Shadowrun 2nd and 3rd, slightly different Palladium games, I just spliced them together.

I only ignore the new editions when they switch enough to be less compatible and worse than came before, like D&D4e, SR4-6e, WFRP3e, CoC7e etc.

Yeah, as mentioned, this is how I am with Traveller.

If the wind shifts directions I'll change because why not? I like learning new things. Nothing is perfect so I'm fine trying new things.
That said with the way my life is right now deep character build games are less appealing. From that point of view D&D 5e was an improvement from 4e.

Hero 6e wasn't an improvement over 5e which wasn't an improvement over 4e. It sort of peaked at 3e for HERO.

I think the best part of 3E was not doing everything with powers. It still took the point of view that there were exceptions to make things work better. Shotguns were unique, and could not really be replicated as a super power. 4E introduced the idea that everything worked the same whether supers, or old west although an object could be built differently to better fit a genre. When 4E came out we kind of liked this about it. In retrospect I'm less enthused by it. I cut 5E a lot of slack, because it resulted in one of the most productive times for HERO material, but it stepped up on tightening flexibility, there was more direction that X was the right way. 6E just plain broke the game as far as I'm concerned, more based on HERO closer to something like Fusion than a real HERO edition. I don't hate Fusion btw, it is an interesting game if looked at for its own merits, but it really isn't HERO.

Interesting for the games I most like to play the early editions are all pretty easy to come by at least in PDF form. D&D, Classic Traveller, and RuneQuest. Traveller is even often free in the form of Starter Traveller.

Not so much can you find the rules, but how easy is it to find games being run. We have the internet, if you look long enough you can find anything, but if you go to a con what are the odds you will actually be able to get into a game or if you run a game will anybody actually sign up for the older edition.

If the new edition improves on a mechanic(s) I dislike is the most common reason I'll switch.

I prefer the editions not change too much between editions (Coc and Pendragon) unless I considered the original ruleset inferior to the setting or game premise (e.g. love Paranoia but can take or leave the original ruleset).

New editions used to be more of a reprint thing. It's time to order another batch of books but we now have quite a bit of errata, and some house rules we have basically blessed with the official seal so lets reformat the book, add this stuff buy some new art for the cover and call it a new edition. Occasionally there were games that were just a hot mess and the designer just pulled a do over, but usually things were probably 90% the same. It seems like a lot of new editions these days are practically a new game, D&D leading the pack with very little in common from 3E, 4E and 5E beyond the D&D name.

1 - It’s the version the company is currently putting out.

I thought I’d put this up front because taken by itself, I think it’s the most value-absent reason to update editions, with the important caveat that I am not talking about other facts that often come with this fact (current support, etc.) There seems to be a large body of players for whom this is reason enough. Call it brand loyalty, etc., but I think that absent other factor, it’s not sufficient value.
I know so many people who think they're gamers when what they actually love is spending money on game props and paraphenalia. Still, who am I to complain? They're probably shoring up the industry for the rest of us.

I've only changed editions once: Chronicles of Darkness. I was happy running the older version, but when I started working on a fangame I wanted to update it to make it more appealing to other players. As it turned out, the new edition introduced new material that I wasn't interested in interfacing with. Story beats, etc.

I'm considering switching to the new edition of Eclipse Phase, because it was created from player concerns over how involved chargen was in 1E. Really want it in hardback though, and it's starting to look like they're not doing that.

We tend to move on to new editions of our core games, primarily GURPS and D&D. We also often get in ‘on the ground floor’ - I pre-ordered GURPS 4e (got the signed, limited edition set :smile:) and we have pre-ordered 3, 3.5, 4 and 5th Edition D&D.

I guess there are a few reasons driving these choices. First, we don’t tend to have a huge number of house rules; perhaps it is because we have a rotating set of about five GMs? Keeping it RAW is just easier for people to get straight in their heads. So a new edition might clear up niggles and rough edges that have become an irritation (the new edition will be almost guaranteed to have its own niggles, but they take time to find and become annoying).

Second, new shiny! We like new things, whilst some of our group are quite hide-bound in strongly preferring D&D over everything else. A new edition allows us to square that circle.

Third, continuing support is important as we often are time-poor so a good range of modules etc is a real boon. This has become less of a factor in recent times with the surge in high-quality third-party publishing and the eternal availability of PDF materials meaning it is easier to get support than ever before, even for legacy editions.

For occasional games we are less likely to move to a new edition unless someone in the group is really keen to run it over a previous edition.

The other factor is to just keep engaged with what is happening in the hobby, new ideas, new rules systems. Like many of us I harbour a pipe dream of writing my own system, so being aware of how other people have done stuff is useful. Call this my ‘anti-heartbreaker strategy’... :grin:

Not so much can you find the rules, but how easy is it to find games being run. We have the internet, if you look long enough you can find anything, but if you go to a con what are the odds you will actually be able to get into a game or if you run a game will anybody actually sign up for the older edition.
These days I don't get to cons, but if I did, from a playing perspective, I'd be looking for:

1. Original edition games run by someone I've heard of on the internet.

2. Try out games I would be less likely to try out at home.

As to running games at a con? I suspect original edition games would have enough interest that enough players would show up.

New editions used to be more of a reprint thing. It's time to order another batch of books but we now have quite a bit of errata, and some house rules we have basically blessed with the official seal so lets reformat the book, add this stuff buy some new art for the cover and call it a new edition. Occasionally there were games that were just a hot mess and the designer just pulled a do over, but usually things were probably 90% the same. It seems like a lot of new editions these days are practically a new game, D&D leading the pack with very little in common from 3E, 4E and 5E beyond the D&D name.
That's certainly true of the 4 versions of Classic Travller, and even MegaTraveller is almost an errata release. But Traveller DID make some significant changes from 1977 to 1981 (with The Traveller Book and Starter Traveller being more like errata changes from 1981) and then to MegaTraveller to the point that I explicitly run 1977. Now I accept chargen from ANY version of Classic Traveller (and actually use a couple changes, 2 skills per term for Scouts and an extra mustering out benefit roll for rank 5+, but NOT the optional rule to avoid death...). RQ1 to RQ2 may have looked like an errata change, but again, there are significant changes. Burning Wheel Classic to Revised to Gold each introduce significant changes that are more than just errata.

If I haven't already invested heavily in the current edition, I might.

Fat chance I'll upgrade from D&D 5e unless it is fully compatible with what I already have and totally blows my mind in terms of rule fixes.

These days I don't get to cons, but if I did, from a playing perspective, I'd be looking for:

1. Original edition games run by someone I've heard of on the internet.

2. Try out games I would be less likely to try out at home.

As to running games at a con? I suspect original edition games would have enough interest that enough players would show up.

That's certainly true of the 4 versions of Classic Travller, and even MegaTraveller is almost an errata release. But Traveller DID make some significant changes from 1977 to 1981 (with The Traveller Book and Starter Traveller being more like errata changes from 1981) and then to MegaTraveller to the point that I explicitly run 1977. Now I accept chargen from ANY version of Classic Traveller (and actually use a couple changes, 2 skills per term for Scouts and an extra mustering out benefit roll for rank 5+, but NOT the optional rule to avoid death...). RQ1 to RQ2 may have looked like an errata change, but again, there are significant changes. Burning Wheel Classic to Revised to Gold each introduce significant changes that are more than just errata.

Looking at the game list last year from one of my local cons, Dundracon, there were a total of 183 official games (minus a few cancellations). 27 D&D 5E, No 4E, 6 Pathfinder, 3 D&D 3 / 3.5E, 4 AD&D, and 3 B/X so playing an older version puts you at a significant disadvantage of getting into a game / getting into a game you want to play. Old Geezer had a post awhile back lamenting his recent experiences trying to run sessions of OD&D and Gencon the past few years.

Call of Cthulhu four 7E, two 3E and one unspecified edition (being CoC the GM probably figured it doesn't matter :grin: ).

As an odd aside HERO 5E wiped the floor with 6E. Dundracon has always had a decent representation of HERO games, last year there were six 5E games, one 4E and only one 6E.

This also shows the dominance of D&D, nearly 1 in 6 games were the current version of D&D. Even older editions are still competitive in number with "other" games.

Cons / store games wasn't why "you" should adopt a new edition, it was a reason some would. If that is your main outlet for face to face games it can make a difference just as playing D&D over some other preferred game does.

...HERO 5E wiped the floor with 6E. Dundracon has always had a decent representation of HERO games, last year there were six 5E games, one 4E and only one 6E.
5th was still almost wholly backwards compatible and well supported and from what I've seen the most frequently encountered in the wild, while 6th was poorly supported, changed a few things long-timers didn't care to change, and then was hard to buy even if you wanted to get a copy, so I'm not surprised 5th could drum up more games and players.
Cons / store games wasn't why "you" should adopt a new edition, it was a reason some would. If that is your main outlet for face to face games it can make a difference just as playing D&D over some other preferred game does.
I don't think one can overestimate how much easier it is to find a local game using the current edition of D&D as opposed to a prior edition. For lots of new players and referees it's really the only edition. It's all I ever see being run at game stores. If I were at all interested in playing D&D and trying to start or join a new group, I would likely have to bite the bullet and buy the new version to do so.

I don't think one can overestimate how much easier it is to find a local game using the current edition of D&D as opposed to a prior edition. For lots of new players and referees it's really the only edition. It's all I ever see being run at game stores. If I were at all interested in playing D&D and trying to start or join a new group, I would likely have to bite the bullet and buy the new version to do so.
Since I've shifted to using Roll20 to play games, I've found it not that hard to find players interested in older games. I've been running a RuneQuest 1st ed. game for almost two years now and I have a steady (but slow) stream of new players interested, including at least one player who wasn't born in 1978... (he was actually our 2nd player who really stuck with the campaign).

I think older editions of D&D would be even easier to find players for. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of people playing any popular old edition of D&D outnumber ALL RuneQuest players.

With all the talk of difficulty finding players (not just in this thread, all over the place...) I am eternally grateful that the newest member of my regular group joined about five years ago (and the longest served, 37...).

5th was still almost wholly backwards compatible and well supported and from what I've seen the most frequently encountered in the wild, while 6th was poorly supported, changed a few things long-timers didn't care to change, and then was hard to buy even if you wanted to get a copy, so I'm not surprised 5th could drum up more games and players.

As far as I'm concerned 4E and 5E are practically the same, 5E just having a lot more examples. Going by what I see online where it seems like there are quite a few who only know 6E and that through the "Complete" Champions and Fantasy Hero books. I knew there are many sticking with older versions, but this was a pretty dramatic example. Of course just a sample of one, I would be interested in seeing if it carries over elsewhere.

I agree that there are probably a lot more 5E core rules in the wild than 6E. It seems like 6E got one print run, where 5E had the first batch, and then a short time later revised and I think at least one or two more beyond that. Then you also have the 5E sidekick rule books. I think it was still possible to buy discounted 5E rule books from DOJ even after 6E was gone, although that might be my imagination.

Looks at a freshly bitten bullet on the floor and the still have that new book smell 5E books on the shelf. You don't say. :hehe:

As far as I'm concerned 4E and 5E are practically the same, 5E just having a lot more examples. Going by what I see online where it seems like there are quite a few who only know 6E and that through the "Complete" Champions and Fantasy Hero books. I knew there are many sticking with older versions, but this was a pretty dramatic example. Of course just a sample of one, I would be interested in seeing if it carries over elsewhere.

I agree that there are probably a lot more 5E core rules in the wild than 6E. It seems like 6E got one print run, where 5E had the first batch, and then a short time later revised and I think at least one or two more beyond that. Then you also have the 5E sidekick rule books. I think it was still possible to buy discounted 5E rule books from DOJ even after 6E was gone, although that might be my imagination.
If I get my online gaming situation sorted, one of the contenders is some earlier edition of Champions/Hero System, probably 2nd or 3rd with added material from 4th or 5th as needed.

(I was actually given Champions Complete as a birthday or Christmas present whatever year it came out (2012? 2013?) but either gave it away in my giveaway thread or have it waiting to be given away. I found it didn't resolve any of the issues of non-user-friendliness that have plagued the latest versions of Champions/Hero System, which is a shame. It also had truly crappy cover art.)

HERO sixth was a misstep, too soon after fifth and unpopular if arguably needed changes. If HERO ever wanted to win new fans it needed to be a little more streamlined and ditching figured stats and the accounting mess they make was necessary but it invalidated all the work anyone ever did with HERO all at once and you still needed the stats at those levels, it's just buying them too that level made the accounting a bit easier. HERO 6th Basic is a great point of entry product.

GURPS Fourth edition is similar, it made fixes that make sense. People still bring up IQ and DX as over powered. There's a thread on rpg.net right now where it comes up. Hasn't been true since third edition but never mind that. The point is that invalidating so much existing product offends fans greatly. I suspect dialing back to GURPS classic and releasing a full colour third edition reprint would probably be a real hit for SJG. I'm glad they won't, man, ICE's constant back sliding sure ground my gears. RMSS is just better than RM 2 damnit! Sorry, bit of stress avatism there. I've got a bad case of kitten induced psychosis at the moment.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back