Who's watching the eclipse?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Gringnr

D6 Nutz
Reaction score
Any of you have plans to watch the eclipse? I live in Geoegtown, TX, just outside of Austin, so we're gonna have a good view, weather permitting.

So, for those of you who want to see it, where are you? Any of you traveling to see it?

You Northern Hemispherical jerks get all the good cosmological phenomena.

Hell, there's expected to be a nova in Hercules this month, and the constellation won't be visible in my part of the world until next month.

For me, one of the more amusing bits of data that I saw was the booked Air BnBs across the United States. All in a perfect match to the arc of the eclipse...

I'm suffering from eclipse fatigue. The Cleveland area is in the path of totality and has been promoting the event for months. Over the weekend, it was essentially the only thing on local news. The problem is, there really isn't all that much to say, so they soon got down to stories like 'will your pets' eyes be damaged by looking at the sun during the eclipse?' (Short answer: no, because they are too smart to look at the sun in any case.)

The school where I work is having its own eclipse event, and I plan to watch around totality, if I can. But it's rainy here now and may well not clear by this afternoon, when totality arrives.

I'm in the partial eclipse viewing area, but with it being overcast today, I don't think I will be able to see it.

I'm in teh path of totality but I guess God had other plans

I’m hoping to get on disability after today. Planning for the future!

Any of you have plans to watch the eclipse? I live in Geoegtown, TX, just outside of Austin, so we're gonna have a good view, weather permitting.

So, for those of you who want to see it, where are you? Any of you traveling to see it?
I'm just down the road from you in Round Rock! Not sure how the viewing will be with all the clouds (and impending rain), but some of my coworkers and I are going to go to a park nearby to have a look. I'll also listen to "Eclipse" (and probably the rest of Dark Side of the Moon) and Eclipse: A Journey of Permanence and Impermanence today in honor of the event.

The library where I work is giving away eclipse glasses and I've been fielding nonstop calls about them all morning. We also gave them away in 2017 & there was likewise very high demand, which ended up being kinda funny because that day it was too overcast to really see much. It's very clear here today, though.

Tiki torches on point. I need to rake. Dead leaves everywhere. I gotta fire extinguisher handy tho.

We didn't get the full eclipse where I'm at, about 80% magnitude. Stepped outside from work for a few minutes to try to get a pic... which isn't easy when you're trying not to look at what you're photographing, and the glare makes the screen in your phone useless.IMG_20240408_150554.jpg

We didn't get the full eclipse where I'm at, about 80% magnitude. Stepped outside from work for a few minutes to try to get a pic... which isn't easy when you're trying not to look at what you're photographing, and the glare makes the screen in your phone useless.View attachment 80524
It's a super cool pic anyway. How about that?

As things turned out, I was able to see the eclipse--there were some high cirrus clouds that meant the corona wasn't really visible at totality, but they didn't block the overall view. The school that employs me had an eclipse event and gave away glasses for viewing. I was pretty busy, so I just took brief looks every half-hour or so until about 10 minutes before totality, then watched through it and a bit beyond.

Since the decrease of light is mostly gradual--and because it's often pretty murky in NE Ohio--the sky didn't seem that dark until shortly before totality, although through the glasses I could see that most of the sun was already occluded. Then for a relatively brief time it got quite dark, and stars became visible. Birds didn't exactly do their night-time routine, but did start peeping a bit. Totality itself was very cool because you could take the glasses off and actually see the phenomenon, but as soon as the smallest part of the sun emerged, that became impossible again.

So, it was cool and I'm glad I had a chance to experience it.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back