Because it’ll come up [vikings]

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
OK, I got it.

You guys ready? You all sitting down?

Pirates of Drinax.

Yup, Traveller Pirates of Drinax.

Raiding gets old after maybe 4 or 5 sessions, I'll reckon; after that the players will want to be movers and shakers in the world.

They have options: serve a Viking warlord/king, break off on their own and try to found a kingdom of their own, or sell their services to the English (like the Normans did the French).

You need a map, a way to track who is holding which territories/towns, and their attitude towards the PCs.

Have a few prepped scenarios ready for those sessions where the players don't have a clear idea of what they want to do: a Viking band besieged inside a town they took and are now running out of supplies; an English thane ready to switch sides; double-crossing Vikings raiding their own...

But chances are once your players get a sense of the land and balance of powers, and realise that they can tip that balance, they will be self-activated and asking you: can we...?

So yea, if you can find a free, old edition of Pirates of Drinax, I think you can get some ideas off there.

So yea, if you can find a free, old edition of Pirates of Drinax, I think you can get some ideas off there.

so, I agree and disagree. Not because I think that the structure isn’t there, but rather not enough of the parts I don’t know are not ;) I do own it though, it’s still for sale on DTRPG. I’ll have to consider that notion.

A couple of the old Pendragon supplements may be useful to crib from.

Land of the Giants is the scandinavian book and although it's main adventures are based on the Beowulf epic, it does contain a few pages on longship travel in the North Sea with a rundown on travel distances between scandinavian ports and british ones, as well as a decent gazetteer of scandinavian locations (with a folklorish twist).

Saxons, though it might seem like the opposite of what you're looking for, will actually give you a decent rundown of Saxon culture in game terms along with some material about new settlers in Britain which may be usable. One of the adventures is the run up to the battle of Badon but the other is about setting up a new settlement in Britain, conflicting with the neighbours etc and might be stealable. It's Pendragon, so it's more of a campaign/adventure outline so still lots of work to do.

Both available at Drivethru if you don't already have them.

GR

So I’m looking for adventures, any system, on the conquest of England or Ireland by the Vikings. Specifically, I’d really like a sort of campaign adventure. Yes, I could almost certainly put something together, and Mythic Britain is pretty cool (and 400 years too early), but hoping for something I can crib. Any suggestions?
Arion Games have a Vikingr game (that's the exact title, it's on Drivethru). You could look into it, it's using the d6 engine and reportedly has some cool stuff:thumbsup:.

A couple of the old Pendragon supplements may be useful to crib from.
I know Raleel isn't looking for a system, but now I'm wondering if a modded Pendragon, with Viking-appropriate passions, might actually be a good system for such a game. Especially if you play up the family and generational aspect for a campaign ("I am Bjørn, son of Erik.").

I know Raleel isn't looking for a system, but now I'm wondering if a modded Pendragon, with Viking-appropriate passions, might actually be a good system for such a game. Especially if you play up the family and generational aspect for a campaign ("I am Bjørn, son of Erik.").
Wasn't there a 4th edition Pendragon supplement for playing Northerners:smile:?

I am not, but it's a good idea. I could easily just use Pendragon styled d100 mechanics and Pendragon styled campaign to do the magic.

My group, of course, would like fate of the norns. They would probably wet themselves for that. I need to figure out how to make that work for me, and if I can manage across the levels of detail of play.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back