Boot Hill: Pima County

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Cisco rejoins Juan and Jesús, takes note of the scene involving Maria Dolores, says, 'Meet me outside when you're done.'

After the others join him, Cisco observes of Buckskin Johnny and Honcho de la Vega, 'That's a pair of one-eyed jacks to draw to.' He recounts the conversation to the others, noting, 'They're lying, of course, claiming not to know Jackson - they don't know those kinds of details about Crenshaw and not know a gunfighter in Big Jim's employ. Any intelligence we might gather from them is suspect, to be certain. They seem more like bushwhackers than prospectors.' Cisco looks around, for any sign of Cougar Rydell's stone-boat. 'If Rydell's left town, he shouldn't be hard to track, pulling that sledge - we might still gain some useful knowledge from him, or we can see what Crenshaw and the others learned from Big Jim. Your thoughts?' He keeps an eye open for Mr Frock Coat as he listens.

How much did CIsco lose?
$2, plus he bought that $2 bottle of tequila.

Before you exit, you hear the bartender refer to the man in the Prince Albert frock coat as "Doc" as he serves up a shot of tequila. María Dolores sashays back to Buckskin Johnny and Honcho's table with the requested coffee.

This applies to all of you: If your character has been in town for more than a few days, you'd know this is Doc Haney even if you haven't personally met him; as the only doctor in town, he's a known figure.

Due to the numerous conversations taking place, you couldn't make out what in particular Doc Haney is talking about with the bartender, but he seems frazzled and at least a bit tipsy.

"It may be a good idea to tail the nervous fellow and see what is upsetting him. We could meet back at the bar." Jesus says to Cisco.

"Dammit!" growls Quinn, keeping his gun drawn. "We need to be more careful! Now let's go find these bandits before they find us."

"Good to see you still alive" Tybalt says as he holster his gun. "we found a campsite, still warm the bandits are traveling southeast and aren't considered about secrecy much. If we get back to the horse we've got a good chance of getting the drop on them".

Corbin laughs standing up.

"Let's get going. Good to know we're all equally good at getting the drop on somebody"

He heads back to the horses.

After a long, hot, sweaty hour of sentinel duty, Eugene finally sees his companions returning down the dusty trail, no bandidos in sight.

Quinn, Mary, Corbin, and Tybalt find Eugene atop a boulder with Betsy and the horses nearby. Betsy has fallen asleep against the base of the boulder in the afternoon sun.

Last edited:
After a long, hot, sweaty hour of sentinel duty, Eugene finally sees his companions returning down the dusty trail, no bandidos in sight.

Quinn, Mary, Corbin, and Tybalt find Eugene atop a boulder with Betsy and the horses nearby. Betsy has fallen asleep against the base of the boulder in the afternoon sun.
Eugene jumps down from his sweltering vantage point, relieved but curious.

"What did you see, boss?"

Tybalt claps Eugene on the back in camadrie. " a campsite still warm with an obvious trail going southeast, If we move now we stand a good chance of catching them unawares" Tybalt says. Tybalt then proceeds to get on his horse.

ooc I thought Betsy was somebodies horse. did we add a player?

Before you exit, you hear the bartender refer to the man in the Prince Albert frock coat as "Doc" as he serves up a shot of tequila. María Dolores sashays back to Buckskin Johnny and Honcho's table with the requested coffee.

Due to the numerous conversations taking place, you couldn't make out what in particular Doc Haney is talking about with the bartender, but he seems frazzled and at least a bit tipsy.
"It may be a good idea to tail the nervous fellow and see what is upsetting him. We could meet back at the bar." Jesus says to Cisco.
Cisco nods. 'Doc's office is up Main Street, across from the livery stable,' he muses. 'If he goes someplace else, we should observe him with caution, to avoid arousing suspicion, but if he goes back to the office, well, I think one of us just acquired an urgent complaint.' He winks at Jesús.

ooc I thought Betsy was somebodies horse.
OOC: Best. Shade. Ever. :hehe:

Tybalt claps Eugene on the back in camadrie. " a campsite still warm with an obvious trail going southeast, If we move now we stand a good chance of catching them unawares" Tybalt says. Tybalt then proceeds to get on his horse.

ooc I thought Betsy was somebodies horse. did we add a player?
Are Eugene, Tybalt, Quinn, Mary, and Corbin all going into the brush on horseback to try to trail the bandidos or are any of you heading to the Big J Ranch as you planned earlier?

Betsy is Corbin's runaway Mormon gal pal.

Cisco nods. 'Doc's office is up Main Street, across from the livery stable,' he muses. 'If he goes someplace else, we should observe him with caution, to avoid arousing suspicion, but if he goes back to the office, well, I think one of us just acquired an urgent complaint.' He winks at Jesús.
Cisco, Jesús, and Juan are nearly bowled over on the boardwalk as Doc Haney, having knocked back his tequila, rushes back out of the cantina. "A thousand pardons, gentlemen," he says breathlessly as he continues northeast, catty-corner across Arizona Street to its intersection with First Street, oblivious to a horse-drawn buckboard traveling south and about to grind him down into the dust.

Doc Haney.png
Doc Haney

Cisco, Jesús, and Juan are nearly bowled over on the boardwalk as Doc Haney, having knocked back his tequila, rushes back out of the cantina. "A thousand pardons, gentlemen," he says breathlessly as he continues northeast, catty-corner across Arizona Street to its intersection with First Street, oblivious to a horse-drawn buckboard traveling south and about to grind him down into the dust.

"No problemas, senor! Podemos ayudarle algo?", Juan answers. "A man at your age shouldn't be running around, you should leave that to us".

"Too bad his outfit gone belly-up, but I reckon Big Jim'll be glad to hear this Crenshaw ain't tryin' to move in as there's little enough range with good water roundabout as it is," says Slim.
"Speakin' o' Big Jim, you should know he sometimes likes to come out the ranchhouse an' eat in the mess hall with the hands. Makes him feel reg'lar, I guess. Anyway, if he does, fix up some beef 'n bean chili with skunk eggs alongside some biscuits drownin' in Texas butter on account o' that's what he likes best."

Crap. Skunk eggs? Lars has eaten those, but he doesn't have the first clue how to make them. The cheese and onions and stuff inside is one thing, but how do you make that doughy stuff they're wrapped in? There does not seem to be any way to work that out from first principle. Damn... wonder if there is such a thing as a cookbook for sale in town?

"I'll remember that, right enough," he says. "So what's Big Jim like, anyway? Is he a fair boss and such?"

Cisco steps out into the street, out of the path of the buckboard, waving his arms over his head and calling. 'Whoa! Whoa!' to the horse and driver.

OOC: "There's another old saying, Senator: Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." RIP John Vernon

"I'll remember that, right enough," he says. "So what's Big Jim like, anyway? Is he a fair boss and such?"
You hear the heavy thump of boots and the jangle of spurs behind you and the mess hall goes silent. "Why don't you cut out the middleman and ask him yourself, real direct-like?" drawls a deep voice. By the quiet deference of the other men in the room, you're quite sure this is Big Jim Wayne. "I hear you're a Swede. Any relation to that son of a bitch Andersson over at the Double A spread?" You can't quite tell if he is serious or joking.
Big Jim Wayne.jpg
Big Jim Wayne

"No problemas, senor! Podemos ayudarle algo?", Juan answers. "A man at your age shouldn't be running around, you should leave that to us".
Cisco steps out into the street, out of the path of the buckboard, waving his arms over his head and calling. 'Whoa! Whoa!' to the horse and driver.
Doc Haney slows his stride as he turns to look back at Juan, which unfortunately puts the doctor directly in the path of the oncoming buckboard. Hearing Cisco's call to the buckboard driver, Doc Haney is suddenly alerted to the danger. The buckboard slows, but not in time to avert a collision as Doc Haney, frozen in his tracks and possibly befuddled by alcohol, just stares wide-eyed and slack-jawed as the horse's shoulder knocks him to the dirt.

You can tell he's hurt by the way he just lies there, face in the dust, groaning. Still, it could have been worse as he wasn't trampled and the buckboard wheels didn't grind his bones into the earth. A crowd of paisanos stumble out of the cantina behind you to play looky-loo at the commotion. The occupants of the buckboard descend to survey the scene. The driver is a bearded and disheveled man who has seen better days, and his passenger is a handsome, young, clean-shaven man with a hand-rolled quirly dangling from his lip and a shotgun cradled in his elbow and twin Colts belted on his hips. "That weren't our fault," says the man with the shotgun to no one in particular. "The ranny just ran right out in front of us. We tried to stop but he just stood there."

Jesus leans down and asks the doctor "Can you move? I can help you get wherever you need to go sir."

Jesus leans down and asks the doctor "Can you move? I can help you get wherever you need to go sir."
Doc Haney just groans in response, pats the left breast of his Prince Albert frock coat, and mumbles, "Flask...drink...."

María Dolores elbows her way past the assembled paisanos and darts into the street, her hands covering her mouth, aghast at what's happened. The youth with the shotgun says, "Load him onto the buckboard. We'll get him to a doctor if you can direct us. New in town. This surely ain't the way we wanted to get acquainted." Based on his acquired taste for cigarettes*, you'd judge he's likely come to Arizona Territory by way of Texas.

* Largely a Mexican vice at this time, while Americans were inclined to chew their tobacco or smoke cigars or pipes. Some Texans and others who spent time near or across the Mexico-U.S. border picked up the habit and spread it.

Doc Haney just groans in response, pats the left breast of his Prince Albert frock coat, and mumbles, "Flask...drink...."

María Dolores elbows her way past the assembled paisanos and darts into the street, her hands covering her mouth, aghast at what's happened. The youth with the shotgun says, "Load him onto the buckboard. We'll get him to a doctor if you can direct us. New in town. This surely ain't the way we wanted to get acquainted." Based on his acquired taste for cigarettes*, you'd judge he's likely come to Arizona Territory by way of Texas.
'This man is the town doctor,' replies Cisco to the callow youth, then looks to Maria Dolores. '¿Hay un curandero en la ciudad?' he asks.

OOC thank you about the Betsy thing I thought someone had sprung for one of the wonder horses that I assume were in third edition. good we are accumulating npcs rewards will soon follow. Yeah I thing the group together is good, my vote is to follow the bandits for the action but I'll abide whatever the majority goes with.

IC
"Hello Betsy, good to see you again" Tybalts says loudly. " Seems the brouhaha we were expecting got postponed for a bit" Tybalt realizes something "I say, are you armed? can't be going into a fray without a weapon just wouldn't be proper" Tybalt offers her one of his five knives if she is unarmed.

'This man is the town doctor,' replies Cisco to the callow youth, then looks to Maria Dolores. '¿Hay un curandero en la ciudad?' he asks.
"The Mormon woman, Señora Sommer...take him to her," replies María Dolores.

"Sounds like he wants a drink more 'n doctorin'," says the young man as he carefully sets down his shotgun in the wagon. "One o' you men help me lift him into the buckboard and just you show me the way, darlin'," he says to the paisanos in general and María Dolores in particular. "Just be careful of my banjo, y'hear?"

A couple of the men from the cantina help hoist Doc Haney, none too gently, into the buckboard and the young man assists María Dolores up to the spring-supported front bench.

Unless one of you stops them or continues the conversation, they'll depart in the direction of the Cactus Flower restaurant.

Last edited:
OOC thank you about the Betsy thing I thought someone had sprung for one of the wonder horses that I assume were in third edition. good we are accumulating npcs rewards will soon follow. Yeah I thing the group together is good, my vote is to follow the bandits for the action but I'll abide whatever the majority goes with.

IC
"Hello Betsy, good to see you again" Tybalts says loudly. " Seems the brouhaha we were expecting got postponed for a bit" Tybalt realizes something "I say, are you armed? can't be going into a fray without a weapon just wouldn't be proper" Tybalt offers her one of his five knives if she is unarmed.
"My goodness, but of course I'm not armed!" Betsy responds, seeming scandalized at the very suggestion. "I don't think it's at all ladylike," she says with a sideways glance at Mary, "but thank you kindly for your offer. I'm sure Corbin will protect me!"

"The Mormon woman, Señora Sommer...take him to her," replies María Dolores.

"Sounds like he wants a drink more 'n doctorin'," says the young man as he carefully sets down his shotgun in the wagon. "One o' you men help me lift him into the buckboard and just you show me the way, darlin'," he says to the paisanos in general and María Dolores in particular. "Just be careful of my banjo, y'hear?"

A couple of the men from the cantina help hoist Doc Haney, none too gently, into the buckboard and the young man assists María Dolores up to the spring-supported front bench.

Unless one of you stops them or continues the conversation, they'll depart in the direction of the Cactus Flower restaurant.
"I'll follow them to her", Juan says. "Where do we meet next?", he asked his compossetriotes.

"I'll follow them to her", Juan says. "Where do we meet next?", he asked his compossetriotes.
'The general store, up the street here, past the Yellow Rose,' replies Cisco. 'Pa Sommer will be in a mood over his missing daughter. Be careful.' The attorney turns to Jesús. 'Let us inquire after supplies for Mr Crenshaw's outfit.'

Last edited:
'The general store, up the street here, past the Yellow Rose,' replies Cisco. 'Pa Sommer will be in a mood over his missing daughter. Be careful.' The attorney turns to Juan. 'Let us inquire after supplies for Mr Crenshaw's outfit.'
"I know. But I have to tell her sister not to worry", Juan answers. "¡La he di mi palabra!"

'The general store, up the street here, past the Yellow Rose,' replies Cisco. 'Pa Sommer will be in a mood over his missing daughter. Be careful.' The attorney turns to Jesús. 'Let us inquire after supplies for Mr Crenshaw's outfit.'
"Si senior" replies Jesus.

Juan follows the buckboard while Cisco and Jesús tramp over to the Wagon Wheel General Store, owned and operated by the husband-and-wife team of Lonnie and Sarah Parsons and the place you go in Saguaro to satisfy the basic needs that you can't supply for yourself.
Beyond the one large, dust-caked display window the interior of the store is dim and crowded with shelves stocked with all manner of goods: coffee beans, spices, baking powder, oatmeal, sugar, dried fruit, hard candy, powdered milk, vegetables, honey, flour, molasses, crackers, cheese, syrup, dried beans, cigars, jerky, and tobacco.

There's a cast iron stove dead center in the store, mainly for heat on cold winter nights, but seldom used; as such the store is free of the layer of soot known to collect in general stores in colder climes. Past the stove, at the front counter, are a few display cases for smaller items, as well as a coffee grinder and scales for weighing merchandise. Behind the counter, beneath a tattered but proudly displayed 4th Missouri Infantry regimental flag, is a small selection of rifles and shotguns and ammunition, as well as more essential items such as lanterns, ropes, shovels, axes, picks, crockery, pots and pans, cooking utensils, and dishes.
4_mi.gif
4th Missouri Infantry regimental flag
Over to the right side of the counter is the small apothecary section of the store, offering a variety of patent medicines, remedies, soaps, toiletries, and elixirs; off to the left is the crowded dry goods section of the store, cramped with shelves containing bolts of cloth, pins and needles, thread, ribbon, silk, buttons, undergarments, suspenders, dungarees, hats, and shoes.

The lack of accumulated dust on any of the merchandise is an indicator that the Wagon Wheel does brisk business across the board in every field. As you enter the store, Lonnie Parsons is filling an order for a homesteader and calling out figures for his wife to tally. "Be right with you," he says. "Feel free to look around."

Last edited:
"I know. But I have to tell her sister not to worry", Juan answers. "¡La he di mi palabra!"
By the time Juan catches up to the buckboard, the two strangers in town are carrying a complaining Doc Haney up the backstairs to the Sommer residence that occupies the floor atop the Cactus Flower restaurant. Mrs. Sommer is conducting them from the landing outside the open door to her home, while Becca Sommer looks on excitedly and peppers María Dolores with questions. Pa Sommer stands off to one side glowering at all the Gentile interference in his life and habits customs today. When Pa sees you coming, the older man's eyes narrow and he scowls in your direction.

You hear the heavy thump of boots and the jangle of spurs behind you and the mess hall goes silent. "Why don't you cut out the middleman and ask him yourself, real direct-like?" drawls a deep voice. By the quiet deference of the other men in the room, you're quite sure this is Big Jim Wayne. "I hear you're a Swede. Any relation to that son of a bitch Andersson over at the Double A spread?" You can't quite tell if he is serious or joking.
View attachment 8088
Big Jim Wayne

Double crap.

"Ah, no sir, only family I've got in this country lives up north," he says. "Anyway, er, thanks for the job and all. Sorry to hear about your old cook, though."

By the time Juan catches up to the buckboard, the two strangers in town are carrying a complaining Doc Haney up the backstairs to the Sommer residence that occupies the floor atop the Cactus Flower restaurant. Mrs. Sommer is conducting them from the landing outside the open door to her home, while Becca Sommer looks on excitedly and peppers María Dolores with questions. Pa Sommer stands off to one side glowering at all the Gentile interference in his life and habits customs today. When Pa sees you coming, the older man's eyes narrow and he scowls in your direction.
Juan bows.
"I'm sorry for intruding Mister Sommers. I was talking with the good Doctor when he got ran over, and just had to see him arriving safely here, to get much needed help. Is he going to be fine?"

Juan bows.
"I'm sorry for intruding Mister Sommers. I was talking with the good Doctor when he got ran over, and just had to see him arriving safely here, to get much needed help. Is he going to be fine?"
"They just took the man upstairs to see," says Pa Sommer. "You seen my daughter? Betsy's been missing ever since you and your friends turned up and I'm just about ready to go to the marshal about you lot."

"My goodness, but of course I'm not armed!" Betsy responds, seeming scandalized at the very suggestion. "I don't think it's at all ladylike," she says with a sideways glance at Mary, "but thank you kindly for your offer. I'm sure Corbin will protect me!"
"We'd best git, if'n we aims ta get the drop on anybody. We stay here too long, someone's bound ta see us, or hear us.", Eugene says.

"Good to see you still alive" Tybalt says as he holster his gun. "we found a campsite, still warm the bandits are traveling southeast and aren't considered about secrecy much. If we get back to the horse we've got a good chance of getting the drop on them".
Quinn holsters his gun. "Let's ride."
Corbin laughs standing up.

"Let's get going. Good to know we're all equally good at getting the drop on somebody"

He heads back to the horses.
"We'd best git, if'n we aims ta get the drop on anybody. We stay here too long, someone's bound ta see us, or hear us.", Eugene says.
Based on everyone's responses (or lack thereof), I'm assuming you've all decided to try following the bandidos.

By the time you saddle up and move along the trail to the location of the abandoned camp, a good deal of time has passed. However, since minimal, if any, effort was made to cover their tracks or hide their passage, the horsemen are not difficult to follow. The greatest difficulty is merely the rough ground you have to ride across, which means slow going as you follow southeast. After a while the trailside scrub diminishes and the land slopes downward into a narrow gully at the foothills of the Santa Rita Mountains. Looking around, you see indications that the gully would be better described as an arroyo, as it looks to have been formed by fluvial processes and has obvious sediment deposits. Fortunately no rain is expected for the nonce and the odds of a flash flood washing down the gully seem slim-to-none. As the dirt walls on either side of the wash are just slightly taller than the height of an average man on horseback, you reckon the route was selected to avoid visibility to any nearby eyes that might casually glance in this direction. A couple of carelessly discarded cigarrillo butts provide ample evidence that you're on the right track.
arroyo.jpg
The arroyo is only wide enough for two horses to travel side-by-side, and due to the way it winds you cannot see too far along, nor tell how far it goes. Additionally, gauging by the position of the sun in the afternoon sky, you estimate you have about three hours before sunset makes it impossible to continue tracking the bandidos until morning light.

"Ah, no sir, only family I've got in this country lives up north," he says. "Anyway, er, thanks for the job and all. Sorry to hear about your old cook, though."
"I'm just sportin' with you, kid. Keep your nose clean and the food hot and you won't have any trouble." Big Jim turns to the hands in the mess hall and asks, "How's the grub, boys?" Without waiting for an answer, he turns back to Lars, "How you fixed for money? Here's twenty dollars' advance on your thirty per month." He hands you cash and notes, "Anything the kitchen needs, tally it up and Slim or Redford or one o' the men'll take a wagon into Saguaro or Tucson to restock. We got good credit at all the stores but don't abuse it none on account of it'll reflect poorly on me and Lord knows there's enough dirty lies been spread about me in these parts to butter a whole loaf let alone a slice o' bread."

"This might prove fruitless gentlemen. We came to see the ranch. Though of course I feel bad for that man and his uncle, I think all things considered we can't pursue unknown bandits to the ends of the Earth. Got to give the law something to do"

He then glances at Betsy.

"Of course some may feel compelled by morality...such as myself I suppose"

"I can't abide a man won't work for a livin'. Those Mexicans deserve their money back, and those bandits deserve a good hidin'. Besides, they might come for us next, or someone les capable of defending themselves (he glances at Betsy). The law, like the good Lord above, needs men to do its bidding sometimes."

As you enter the store, Lonnie Parsons is filling an order for a homesteader and calling out figures for his wife to tally. "Be right with you," he says. "Feel free to look around."
'Thank you very kindly,' says Cisco, with a tip of his hat. He strolls around the store, taking in the merchandise, until the merchant is ready to speak with him.

OOC: Anything unusual about the store at second glance? How old are the Parsons'?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back